The Other PS3 Hacker Is (Probably) Headed to Jail

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
As I'm certain it's already been commented, he spelled 'beliefs' wrong.

Hopefully the experience isn't too rough on him. Cracking a piece of hardware you've purchased and being sent to jail over it seems ridiculous. Oh, but I forgot. We don't -own- our consoles now a days! We're just paying for the right to use them and keep them in our homes.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Even if it was their intent to play pirated games on their hacked consoles, you can't convict them on something they haven't done. It's like if the cops knocked on your door tomorrow and arrested you for potential theft because you're poor and likely to steal.

I support these system hackers.

Maxman3002

Steampunked
Jul 25, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Pr0 said:
Is it just me or do some corporate entities never seem to learn their place?
Hackers certainly don't. Remember, the act is still illegal, even if done with good intentions.
When was it decided that its illegal to hack a console you own?

Wasnt it decided legal to jailbrake an Iphone, why does the same law not apply here?

Resoring an origional feature to the console is essentially jailbraking it, in fact, for some people its 'fixing' the console (those that used the system for that reason)

Why is there a selection of people that feel a system they buy doesnt belong to them? Everything else you own does..

Where would we be without the modding community for games, without PC's allowing people to make their own software and change their systems, without car manufacturers having to let people modify their cars, without microsoft letting people find new (and better) uses for the kinect?

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
I used to like Sony. At this point, I'm about ready to never buy their products again. Same thing I did with Coca-Cola, after being yelled at by one of their reps. Fucking douchebag.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Maxman3002 said:
FalloutJack said:
Pr0 said:
Hackers certainly don't. Remember, the act is still illegal, even if done with good intentions.
When was it decided that its illegal to hack a console you own?

Wasnt it decided legal to jailbrake an Iphone, why does the same law not apply here?

Resoring an origional feature to the console is essentially jailbraking it, in fact, for some people its 'fixing' the console (those that used the system for that reason)

Why is there a selection of people that feel a system they buy doesnt belong to them? Everything else you own does..

Where would we be without the modding community for games, without PC's allowing people to make their own software and change their systems, without car manufacturers having to let people modify their cars, without microsoft letting people find new (and better) uses for the kinect?
I was speaking of hackers in general. Events of late have left me somewhat unsympathetic.

Ad-Man-Gamer

Jun 20, 2011
It's not just about the piracy. That is just Sony's way to get public backing for this stuff. The truth is that Sony actually lose money per a console soled. What? is probably what you may be asking your self right now. Let me explain. Yes Sony lose money on each console soled, but they get that money back through game sails. The reason Sony removed "Other OS" was because people where just buying the console just to run Other OS. Because these people where not buying games, Sony was losing money.

The piracy excuse is convenient for Sony because saying that they removed the feature because of piracy would of bean more acceptable than "People are buying the ps3 for the other OS only and we where losing money. so we had to remove it." This would of had a bigger backlash because their removing a feature that for some people was the only reason for buying the product in the first place.

As for the people that say that the terms and conditions give them the right to do so. Ok. lets say that you own a Sony Blueray player that can play DVD's as well. Now Sony own the Blueray format so it would be more profitable for you to buy a Blueray. So lets say that Sony decides to remove the dvd feature in an update. You could decline the update, but due to the nature of the Blueray format you will not be able to play newer movies on Blueray. BULLSHIT! Would be your initial reaction. But. Oh. It says in the terms and conditions that they can make any changes as they see fit. So... Tough. You accepted it so Sony is in the right.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Ad-Man-Gamer said:
It's not just about the piracy. That is just Sony's way to get public backing for this stuff. The truth is that Sony actually lose money per a console soled. What? is probably what you may be asking your self right now. Let me explain. Yes Sony lose money on each console soled, but they get that money back through game sails. The reason Sony removed "Other OS" was because people where just buying the console just to run Other OS. Because these people where not buying games, Sony was losing money.
I'm pretty sure most people at the escapist are well aware that Sony loses money on PS3 sales.
Oh. It says in the terms and conditions that they can make any changes as they see fit. So... Tough. You accepted it so Sony is in the right.
I'm fine with them removing functionality, but them taking actions to people who decide to take it back by altering their machines is a scumbag move that along with getting hacked so easily makes me hope that they never even come out with a PS4.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
dear sony
are you f***ing nuts? dont you remember last time? people will put up with shit like this once and if it eventually leads to another month of your network being down, i will not be surprised.

from someone who doesn't own a ps3 so its difficult to judge the average intelligence of ps3 owners.

p.s. thats my real name

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
TheSniperFan said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Pr0 said:
You win the award for 'the worst kind of person' in this thread! Congratulations!

What place? The precedent for this was set. I as a PS3 owner in no way feel constrained because they removed a feature that wasn't ever actually advertised. Please, prove me wrong.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but get this. I bought my PS3 to play PS3 games and watch Blu-ray movies. I guess that's not enough for some people.
I'd like to inform you that the winner of the award changed. You sir, are the new! Congratulations!
Why? Because you're showing egoism and ignorance at their best.

No, really. You say that it's perfectly alright to take away a feature just because it is no problem for YOU. And about the advertising...products get advertised, not features. Or do you know any (for example) car manufacturer that advertises every of the thousand of features that a car has? No. Does it mean that he can take away some? No.

Back in 2007 there were people and companies that bought many PS3's to make clusters to compute, because back then this was more powerful and cheaper than other solutions.

What I'm trying to say is that you should REALLY stop speaking for everyone, because in your opinion it's perfectly alright to ignore minorities as long as it does not harm yourself.

And what Pr0 said isn't even that wrong.
Sony started the war and got a massive kick in the balls. Now they're provocing the same people again in the same way. If they don't stop...well, you know, as good as me, what will be likely to happen next. It does not matter whether you find it good or not.
You know if you don't update the firmware, it doesn't remove that feature, right? Right? Oh right then, you evidently didn't. And if you aren't on PSN or jonesing for some online gaming, you don't have to update the firmware, the console doesn't 100% force you.

It just bars you from online gaming, which is the trade-off you have to make. My friend found it worth it, he hasn't updated his firmware in damn nigh forever, for that trade-off. It's just a matter of what you want more.

So, no, the people bitching about it, have no ground at all even in the slightest. They're just people who want to have their cake and eat it too at this point. What's done is done, Sony isn't going to magically revert it. They've made their stance quite clear. And it isn't even removed unless you want to play your games online. Y'know, what the console was originally intended for. Or patch your games. It's 100% up to you, the user. What do you want more?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Echo136 said:
Shikua said:
Echo136 said:
Actual said:
Wonderful how Sony doesn't even need to win the court case, they just need to throw so much money at it that a man can't afford to defend himself.

Love how money can buy the law.

This man fixed a broken product, the PS3, which Sony deliberately broke.

It's like if your car manufacturer turned off the stereo in your car because they were worried some people might use it to play pirated music and then sent you to prison for fixing it!
Thats a stupid example. Stereo's can be easily bought at a radioshack or best buy, and replace the old one LEGALLY. Why does everyone resort to using cars as an example for software piracy.
Because YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR!
Captcha: top drawer
LIKE HELL I WOULDNT. Given enough bandwidth and the technology, I'd try. LOL
If you can find an ethernet wire big enough be my guest lol.

Ad-Man-Gamer

Jun 20, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
You know if you don't update the firmware, it doesn't remove that feature, right? Right? Oh right then, you evidently didn't. And if you aren't on PSN or jonesing for some online gaming, you don't have to update the firmware, the console doesn't 100% force you.

It just bars you from online gaming, which is the trade-off you have to make. My friend found it worth it, he hasn't updated his firmware in damn nigh forever, for that trade-off. It's just a matter of what you want more.

So, no, the people bitching about it, have no ground at all even in the slightest. They're just people who want to have their cake and eat it too at this point. What's done is done, Sony isn't going to magically revert it. They've made their stance quite clear. And it isn't even removed unless you want to play your games online. Y'know, what the console was originally intended for. Or patch your games. It's 100% up to you, the user. What do you want more?
I would like to refer you to my post.

Ad-Man-Gamer said:
As for the people that say that the terms and conditions give them the right to do so. Ok. lets say that you own a Sony Blueray player that can play DVD's as well. Now Sony own the Blueray format so it would be more profitable for you to buy a Blueray. So lets say that Sony decides to remove the dvd feature in an update. You could decline the update, but due to the nature of the Blueray format you will not be able to play newer movies on Blueray. BULLSHIT! Would be your initial reaction. But. Oh. It says in the terms and conditions that they can make any changes as they see fit. So... Tough. You accepted it so Sony is in the right.

Norris IV

Aug 25, 2010
Seriously Sony, drop the case with no charges or you'll piss off more hackers who could shut you down again and you really cannot afford that

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Sooooo...how long until LulzSec hacks Sony for this "offense" against "internet freedom"?

Bets? Any takers?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
John Funk said:
Speaking of GeoHot, what happened to all that money he donated to the Electronic Frontier Foundation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109311-GeoHot-Donates-Leftover-Legal-Funds-to-EFF]? It strikes me that there's another hacker out there who could use all of it now that he's not using it.
Giving it to another defendant directly doesn't seem as kosher as the avenue he chose. I still say individual refunds would have been the best route, but, hey, I guess he's just not that into technical details.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Frostbite3789 said:
TheSniperFan said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Pr0 said:
You win the award for 'the worst kind of person' in this thread! Congratulations!

What place? The precedent for this was set. I as a PS3 owner in no way feel constrained because they removed a feature that wasn't ever actually advertised. Please, prove me wrong.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but get this. I bought my PS3 to play PS3 games and watch Blu-ray movies. I guess that's not enough for some people.
I'd like to inform you that the winner of the award changed. You sir, are the new! Congratulations!
Why? Because you're showing egoism and ignorance at their best.

No, really. You say that it's perfectly alright to take away a feature just because it is no problem for YOU. And about the advertising...products get advertised, not features. Or do you know any (for example) car manufacturer that advertises every of the thousand of features that a car has? No. Does it mean that he can take away some? No.

Back in 2007 there were people and companies that bought many PS3's to make clusters to compute, because back then this was more powerful and cheaper than other solutions.

What I'm trying to say is that you should REALLY stop speaking for everyone, because in your opinion it's perfectly alright to ignore minorities as long as it does not harm yourself.

And what Pr0 said isn't even that wrong.
Sony started the war and got a massive kick in the balls. Now they're provocing the same people again in the same way. If they don't stop...well, you know, as good as me, what will be likely to happen next. It does not matter whether you find it good or not.

Ok, you know that newer games REQUIRE the update too, right? Would you want to purchase a PS3 and find you are only allowed to ever run the first 5 years of games, but never the latter 5 years just because doing so would mean losing something you want/use? Isn't full compatibility a big reason why people choose consoles over PCs, because they got sick of their PC going out of date for the newest releases? Why should a console owner have to ever pick and choose his functionality options? The point of the console is to have it all work all the time!

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
CleverCover said:
Sooooo...how long until LulzSec hacks Sony for this "offense" against "internet freedom"?

Bets? Any takers?
If I understand my internet groups right, we could expect anonymous in on this as well. Lulsec just does it for the luls, not the protection of anything.

Saverio

Feb 17, 2009
OtherSideofSky said:
Echo136 said:
You physically own the PS3. You own the hard drive and the processor with the code on it. You don't own the rights to distribute the code or use it to make your own products, but that copy on your hard disk is yours (or would be, if we had any kind of digital property law) and you are within your rights to alter it the same way you would your physical property. If Sony were leasing you your copy of their software, they needed to say so and provide a contract to that effect.
Isn't Sony suing because he is releasing the information. I don't think they can sue someone for knowing how to do it, but he released the information to the public and that is an action that is harder to justify. I'm not sure how he did the jailbreak, but if he is distributing any part of the code than there is something of Sony's being used without their permission and even to an end that, what they think, is a loss.
I agree that Other OS was an awesome function that should have been left, but Sony didn't remove it for their health. They felt that it was a security risk to their system and removed it to protect the majority of PS3 owners. Most people did not use Other OS, and while those who did are gonna steal games if they want them anyway, they were in Sony's eyes a risk that they couldn't justify.