The OTHER top games of 2022; The okays and the bads

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah I got really mad at that game because I beat the game on Hard, and it didn't give me credit for also beating it on easy. So instead of a platinum trophy i had to play the game on an easier difficulty all over again. I got so mad I didn't waste my time.
Why are developers still doing this? Not stacking achievements. Capcom has the same problem with DMC5.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The puzzles I can actually live without, but your point and the same one others pointed out still stands. Another problem I heard about this game is that Jacob is by far the slowest character in a 3rd person over-the-shoulder horror game. He' slower than Issaac Clarke. The latter wears much heavier gear. He's slower than Sebastain. Sebastian is a former smoker who barely quit and was drunk at the start of Evil Within 2. He's slower than Leon or Claire from RE2 Remake. How do you mess that up? They need add more than the NG+ update. They need to add skippable cut-scenes, more auto-checkpoints or refresh (manual saves mostly takes care of this, but not everyone is going to advantage of it). If they do all of that, I might consider picking the game up when the price goes down to $24.99-$30.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dawn of the Monsters is pretty decent. The problem is that there is not much to the environments, heavy boss reuse in the last stage, and is a one and done. I don't care much for adjustable perks and upgrades, but they work. The game ends on a sequel hook, but I do not know if it did well enough for a sequel. I do like the story, and it has some neat twists, but I hate it when games like these ends on a sequel hook. The story does complete, but it's clear 13AM Games & WayForward assumed they're gonna make another one. It is the best Pacific Rim game you will ever play.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
High on Life came out yesterday on Xbox and pc. This is a game from the Rick and Morty creator and has that gun and knife that talks a bunch of shit to you. And after watching a couple videos, how the fuck is Rick and Morty popular. The writing is tryhard and obnoxious in the worst way.

It is like one of those games that is trying to be funny but it just keeps talking fast and making meta video game jokes because it has no idea how to actually be funny or interesting.

Gameplay itself is very basic, just a simple fps game banking on bad humor and fame of some other show that is popular for some reason.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
how the fuck is Rick and Morty popular. The writing is tryhard and obnoxious in the worst way.

Plus a lot of overhype will do that. I pretty much swore off of Rick and Morty after the fourth season. I did watch season 5 just as high as it loose ends, but I still haven't touched season 6 and I really see no point.

is like one of those games that is trying to be funny but it just keeps talking fast and making meta video game jokes because it has no idea how to actually be funny or interesting.
The school of Rick and Morty and Family Guy shtick of constant lampshade hanging; it's not funny and overdone with pop culture references. So High on Life doesn't surprise me.

Gameplay itself is very basic, just a simple fps game banking on bad humor and fame of some other show that is popular for some reason.
Nothing new there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
*shrug* I freaking love RIck and Morty
I'm not gonna play this game because it looks obnoxious and I don't like shooters. And yeah, I haven't watched the latest season of R&M for the same reason I eventually stopped watching other animated comedies after I feel they exhausted their themes and started repeating jokes. But since I was a Simpsons fanatic in the '90's, animated comedies have always made me laugh the hardest. Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Archer, Rick & Morty. They just all go on too long.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
*shrug* I freaking love RIck and Morty
I'm not gonna play this game because it looks obnoxious and I don't like shooters. And yeah, I haven't watched the latest season of R&M for the same reason I eventually stopped watching other animated comedies after I feel they exhausted their themes and started repeating jokes. But since I was a Simpsons fanatic in the '90's, animated comedies have always made me laugh the hardest. Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Archer, Rick & Morty. They just all go on too long.
What's sad is that this is a project that Microsoft clearly dumped money into, thinking it will have instant fans. Again it is banking on nostalgia instead of just making good games and looking forward like every other platform.

Might be time for Phil to get another job.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
What's sad is that this is a project that Microsoft clearly dumped money into, thinking it will have instant fans. Again it is banking on nostalgia instead of just making good games and looking forward like every other platform.

Might be time for Phil to get another job.
But many seem to like it.
I know I know, games these days, and Microsoft, and AAA and whatever, sure sure. But High On Life is doing its own thing- it is a particular brand of humor (and it's not as simply as R&M humor just because it's the same guy... yes, there is similarity in tone, but they're doing different things) and tying that into the gameplay clearly is a goofy kind of fun.

It's like... Evil West, just came out, and some critics ragging on it while to u/Brawlman and myself it's a welcome kind of specific game. HoL is like that, but for a different vibe. I think it's harmless.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
But many seem to like it.
I know I know, games these days, and Microsoft, and AAA and whatever, sure sure. But High On Life is doing its own thing- it is a particular brand of humor (and it's not as simply as R&M humor just because it's the same guy... yes, there is similarity in tone, but they're doing different things) and tying that into the gameplay clearly is a goofy kind of fun.

It's like... Evil West, just came out, and some critics ragging on it while to u/Brawlman and myself it's a welcome kind of specific game. HoL is like that, but for a different vibe. I think it's harmless.
By the way can I just point out that High on Life is yet another shooter for Xbox? Does Microsoft realize that there are other types of games and not every game has to be a shooty shooty bang bang?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's like... Evil West, just came out, and some critics ragging on it while to u/Brawlman and myself it's a welcome kind of specific game
Only two critics hate Evil West: GGman and Dreamcast Guy (fuck him in general). Most of other I've seen I like the game or consider it a 7 out of 10 (IGN).

They just all go on too long.
Exactly why I never stick around most of them too long. They either get less interesting, become less relevant, or just plain up their own asses. It's the same reason why I'll never watch Drawn Together again or it's movie. I might watch the first two seasons, but that's about it. I'll take Space Dandy any day over a majority of those shows. For all its problems, it knew went to end.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic Frontiers shouldn't even be at the top of this list. I get it Sterling, you don't like it, but you're factually wrong on this one. Despite some jankiness, at least Frontiers functions and is fun to play. All the other games you mentioned are either not fun to play, completely broken and glitchy, or try to screw the consumer over with microtransactions and gambling mechanics. Another person hating on modern Sonic cause it is "popular" to do.