The People's Choice Awards: Not Quite For The People

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
So basically (and forgive me if I'm wrong) the problem isn't so much that it's just another awards show, but an awards show where what you liked didn't win?
I was particularly fond of:

I didn't vote, because I don't care -- surprising, I know
The author didn't care, yet wrote a whiny two-page rant about how not fair it is that things that are incredibly popular won awards with a public voting system.

I'm reminded of something:

Ah yes, it's those that tell you they don't care that really do.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I guess I live under a rock because I never paid attention to the PCAs.

Sure I heard the name like once or twice but that was it. As long as "Inception" wins some Oscars (Particularly for writing and directing) I am all good. I don't pay any attention to the other award shows really.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
So basically (and forgive me if I'm wrong) the problem isn't so much that it's just another awards show, but an awards show where what you liked didn't win?

To use your own words from the last or next to last paragraph, "I'm a real person" and I think a movie like The Social Network doesn't deserve to win an award for anything. Yes, I'm saying that Twilight deserves more acclaim than a movie about the making of Facebook does.

I hate all awards shows. Especially when they have a "best anything" type award. In my opinion the best of the year is the one that makes the most money. That's really the bottom line. You can love a movies message but if nobody sees it, then it went over like a lead balloon and certainly isn't the best, no matter how you think of the imagery, sound, acting and characters.

I know that view will be in the minority here but give me 48 Hours over The Red Sands of Fullugastan (or whatever anti-war, anti-American movie is the critics love of the year).
I think this sums up my opinions on the People's Choice Awards, and far better then I could have. The people who cared voted, and the people who don't care didn't, so if you don't care and don't vote, I don't think the results should matter to you at all.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
RowdyRodimus said:
I hate all awards shows. Especially when they have a "best anything" type award. In my opinion the best of the year is the one that makes the most money. That's really the bottom line. You can love a movies message but if nobody sees it, then it went over like a lead balloon and certainly isn't the best, no matter how you think of the imagery, sound, acting and characters.
There's a reason why there is no "Biggest Advertising Campaign Award".

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Elizabeth Grunewald said:

These awards are, at best, misnamed, and at worst, unnecessary.

Read Full Article
Wait... Elizabeth Grunewald... if the "PCA"s are that depressing to you, then aren't you just drawing more attention them by "critiquing" them like this? Most people here (including myself) probably haven't heard of the "PCA"s before now anyway. It just seems a bit of a bizarre article for you to write, given the subject matter.

OH WAIT A MINUTE...

If your article is so baffling to me, then aren't I just drawing more attention to it by "critiquing" it like this? Most people here probably wouldn't read my comments anyway. It just seems a bit of a bizarre comment for me to write, given the subject matter.

PS - that "SPLAT" you heard was my brain exploding into a wet purple jellyfish-like substance.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
I never gave a faff about awards shows before. Was the millions of dollars they earned playing the role not enough? They need an item that does nothing more than say "Hey, nice job pretending"?

Just think about all the money used to host and televise such shows.
Now think about all the homeless and starving people, children included, that could have helped.

Yeah, I'm a bit bitter about such things.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Award shows = Biggest waste of time. The same goes for teen choice awards in the summer.

Spike Video Game Awards still takes the cake of curb stomping.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Elizabeth Grunewald said:

These awards are, at best, misnamed, and at worst, unnecessary.

Read Full Article
Great article. Your writing is always enjoyable and spot on. I love the internet and how much fun, learning, and entertainment I get from it, but it sure has flushed a lot of good things down the crapper.

JuliusMagnus said:
Escapist's own March Mayhem is similarly a fanboy event.
Of course it is. Do you expect people to vote for developers that they haven't played games from even if said games were great.

It was actually quite similar to the whole People's Choice problem. Zynga(Farmville) spammed their users on their forum to come here and vote for them. It was actually so bad that some of there player base that actually had brains to think with and understood what the thing was about, and voted against Zynga because they were getting sick of the begging they were doing.

We actually had to have all gamers band together and vote for Valve to beat them in the final four round, even people that didn't particularly like Valve came to vote for Valve.

It was like an epic battle against a dark lord; armies from all corners of gaming set aside their squabbles and petty arguments, and won the day for gamer kind.

Yes I spin quite a tale, but it felt that epic for me.

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
Taylor Swift is not a country artist.
Didn't Brandi Carlile put out an album this year, or was Give Up the Ghost 2009? Because that's a country artist. Listen to Caroline or Dying Day and tell me that isn't more country than Taylor Swift.

And how do you put two vampire shows and Smallville on best scifi/fantasy show when... oh, never mind, that is considered good scifi in America. (But seriously, Doctor Who and Ashes to Ashes both had new seasons this year.)

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
No one on Escapist is in the target demographic for the People's Choice Awards....those people frequent very, very different sites than we do here....it's a window in to a strange and different world for us!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Arent things like this the reason we have critics tell us what movies are good? Since "people" are just bleating lambs that like whats popular because its big name?

Not to be confused with "persons" which is a multitude of person that can still form and think rational thought without falling into the trap of crowd mentality.

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
i just generally hate award shows because they either choose winners by asking artsy people who believe their opinion is the only one that is worth mentioning because they are more cultured and sophisticated or they open a poll to fans where only die-hard fans will vote so it ends up being a popularity contest between people who really invest too much of their lives into a piece of fiction. either way you go you get results that dont accurately reflect what the people actually believe

here's an idea, for the VGA's send out people to poll the people coming out of gamestops (or other videogame stores) on a Saturday (not on the release date for any huge game) and ask them what games they enjoyed the most this year. for the PCA go to theaters (not on the release date of a movie) and ask people on their way out of the theater if they enjoyed the movie they watched and what they think is the best movie they have seen this year. if you want fair polling results you go to a place where the diversity of the group being polled matches the diversity of the market: if i want to poll for the VGA's i wont poll people at 10pm at a gamestop the night before halo reach is about to come out, your sample size wont reflect your population accurately. the same example goes towards polling people on the internet, you leave out those who dont go to the websites you advertise at and you create an overwhelming response from fanboys/ girls which corrupts your data

have these pollers ever taken a statistics class before?

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Arent things like this the reason we have critics tell us what movies are good? Since "people" are just bleating lambs that like whats popular because its big name?

Not to be confused with "persons" which is a multitude of person that can still form and think rational thought without falling into the trap of crowd mentality.
What I have never truly grasped is why I should value anyone else's opinion as somehow more able to tell me what I like than my own.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Caiti Voltaire said:
emeraldrafael said:

What I have never truly grasped is why I should value anyone else's opinion as somehow more able to tell me what I like than my own.
... yeha, there's also that. XD I dont know, I dont like to trust the opinions of people. usually if its a persons opinoin, it has more grounding then, "its awesome cause it has an explosion, a hot chick, and/or a sense of patriotic loyalty" (the michael bay logic XD))

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
... yeha, there's also that. XD I dont know, I dont like to trust the opinions of people. usually if its a persons opinoin, it has more grounding then, "its awesome cause it has an explosion, a hot chick, and/or a sense of patriotic loyalty" (the michael bay logic XD))
But it would be pretty awesome if bad films started exploding, you have to admit.

[edit]: Fixed the quote

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
RatRace123 said:
That's really very sad, to think something that was actually a legitimate award show's now on the same level as Spike's VGAs.
Isn't it sad that the VGA's are held in such low regard that to compare them to another game show is a horrible insult?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Caiti Voltaire said:
emeraldrafael said:
But it would be pretty awesome if bad films started exploding, you have to admit.

[edit]: Fixed the quote
Thats true, I suppose. Explosions do make most anything good. Or at least interesting.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
Gahars said:
Isn't it sad that the VGA's are held in such low regard that to compare them to another game show is a horrible insult?
Well, you can't really say they didn't have that coming, with the presumptiousness and all.

emeraldrafael said:
Thats true, I suppose. Explosions do make most anything good. Or at least interesting.
Twilight would have been 100% better if that chick exploded at some point. God I still shoot myself that I spent money on the first movie.