The Perfect Apolitical/Politics Free Video.

Nov 9, 2015
I mean I have zero interest in games that are message mongering either way.
I don't know what message mongering means, but I'll just say that I like when games pander to me, and I have no interest in games that don't. Am I going to ask games to pander to me? Absolutely, everyone should.

I'm also curious to how many mainstream games actually go in the other direction. Probably not a lot of them, hence why this phrase is one sided. What game has said "the church is le good" or "liberalism was a mistake". I've seen weird things like people agreeing with Senator Armstrong in MGR, I've seen settings the far right likes, for example KCD or Paradox games, but I'm wondering what games are on the other side.

Of course game journos like to say that gaming is actually conservative or far right, despite the obvious trend and game publishers and devs saying they will support progressive politics in games because it is their responsibility to do so.
How're you judging these?
I just googled how many progressives there were in the US. I already knew it wasn't popular, but it was way less than I thought. The majority of Americans will support minority rights, but the catch is that they won't support preferential treatment for minorities. I think the reason is self interest as usual, they stand nothing to gain and a lot to lose.

The claim of progressive over-representation is based on the fact that people in the arts and entertainment industry are overwhelmingly left leaning. I'm talking about 8:2 liberal to conservative. I think I can make the assumption that there would be more progressives within this group, especially with studios in coastal cities with jobs that require a degree.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I just googled how many progressives there were in the US. I already knew it wasn't popular, but it was way less than I thought.
Right, but what does that actually mean? People who self-describe as progressives? Or people who actually support "progressive" policies? If it's the latter, then what?

The majority of Americans will support minority rights, but the catch is that they won't support preferential treatment for minorities.
That would be because the "preferential treatment for minorities" canard is just strawman nonsense.

The claim of progressive over-representation is based on the fact that people in the arts and entertainment industry are overwhelmingly left leaning. I'm talking about 8:2 liberal to conservative. I think I can make the assumption that there would be more progressives within this group, especially with studios in coastal cities with jobs that require a degree.
I would tend to agree that the entertainment industries are likely to have a higher proportion of left-leaning (or socially liberal) people than the population at large. But that's mostly because those industries skew younger, they skew towards people with higher education levels, and they also result in people mixing with others from all walks of life.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Nov 9, 2015
Right, but what does that actually mean? People who self-describe as progressives? Or people who actually support "progressive" policies? If it's the latter, then what?
People who self-identify as progressive. What does that actually mean? Eh, I don't know. Do some liberals agree with some of progressive politics. Sure.

That would be because the "preferential treatment for minorities" canard is just strawman nonsense.
It's not my interpretation, it's a survey question. I don't know what people think, but I'm assuming they think it's affirmative action and race-based hiring.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It's not my interpretation, it's a survey question. I don't know what people think, but I'm assuming they think it's affirmative action and race-based hiring.
If "do you agree with preferential treatment for minorities" was a survey question, that's an indication that the survey was a bunch of bollocks. D'you have a link?

Reactions: BrawlMan
Nov 9, 2015
If "do you agree with preferential treatment for minorities" was a survey question, that's an indication that the survey was a bunch of bollocks. D'you have a link?
Sure, it's easy to find. It's the first result when you google that phrase. Do let me know if you have issues with it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America