The Perfect Apolitical/Politics Free Video.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Ripley and Sarah Conner existed once, and sometimes we get one female lead for every ten male ones, which then sparks outrage over preceived SJW pandering; why are you complaining about lack of female leads?
Ah yes when Atomic Blonde sparked outrage........ on wait no nothing happened there.

Um ok how about the female lead in Mortal Engines? Wait no nothing happened there

New Mutants had plenty of female leads and there was......... no outrage.

How about the Hunger Games...... oh nope again

Stargirl....... no wait no-one was mad at that

Swamp thing where the main character was Abby Arcane? Oh no wait no-one got mad over her in that.

The New Monster Hunter film? Oh no wait the Chinese are mad at that but not because of a female lead.

Killjoys, oh wait no people weren't mad at that either.

Jupiter Ascending? No wait no-one was mad at that

Meanwhile.

Gina Carano - still getting backlash because some people demanded she put pronouns in her bio and she refused

Rosario Dawson - getting backlash for tweets

Gal Gadot - getting backlash for her heritage and people were mad at the fact Wonder Woman had shaved armpits

Letitia Wright - getting backlash for her tweets.

Weird how I could probably roll off a list of fairly recent female leads who got no real backlash (and to be clear I went with ones where they're more or less clearly positioned as the lead not merely Co-lead roles)

Almost like there's something else going on and some people are using characters being female to deflect criticism while also attacking women in other roles......

And yet Battlefield is primarily a multiplayer game. Ergo, the developers are making virtual laser tag that can be considered disrespectful. That they make 10 minutes of somber material to "honor the fallen" doesn't change the fact that they then made a multiplayer shooter in World War 1 and thus presents WW1 as this cool time when real men rode on the wings of biplanes before jumping down, shanking someone in the back with a rusty kriss, stealing a tank to capture an Italian coastal fortress and then magically getting a ton of guys to join them there behind enemy lines to single handedly win the battle. DICE designed the multiplayer part and made it the centerpiece, let's not pretend as if the intro and epilogue of the campaign is the actual meat of a Battlefield game, neither of us is that dumb (nor are the people reading this).
The same could be said about most war films being generic action films with war coatings on them.

I also pointed out how the gameplay must be realistic falls apart because then you get the Extra Credits case where everything has to be as accurate as possible so 1 life and that's in oh and no influence on if you win or lose the game just forces you to play your role.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No sexist outcry over ever so popular movies like Atomic Blonde (which there was by the way), Mortal Engines, Jupiter Ascending, and New Mutants? Well shucks, Captian Marvel, Star Wars, James Bond, Ghostbusters, and Terminator certainly can't hold a candle to the popularity of the new Monster Hunter movie.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No sexist outcry over ever so popular movies like Atomic Blonde (which there was by the way), Mortal Engines, Jupiter Ascending, and New Mutants? Well shucks, Captian Marvel, Star Wars, James Bond, Ghostbusters, and Terminator certainly can't hold a candle to the popularity of the new Monster Hunter movie.
Funny cause no-one had an issue with the first Terminator films with Sarah Connor as the main female in them

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Funny cause no-one had an issue with the first Terminator films with Sarah Connor as the main female in them
Almost like a certain group of people developed really, really long toes when other people started to more actively call out gender and race specific tropes and issues in fiction that they'd like to see changed.

Ripley was gender swapped from male to female in Alien to appeal more to the feminist movement at the time. Imagine a big sc-fi blockbuster doing that now... Heck, Ripley in current times would be criticized for being a man-hating, SJW Mary Sue for calling out all the male characters on their incompetent actions. The amount of youtube videos from the usual suspects would be insurmountable.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Which proves my point that it is all a double standard
No, disliking sugar on your steak, but not on your dessert, is not a double standard. It's just a standard.

If someone doesn't like a "fantasy" take on WW2, then that's what they don't like.

A red-head, cricket-bat wielding, prosthetic-arm having woman in WW2 is a fantasy take on WW2. It turns people off, not because they're misogynists, but because they don't want to play a fantasy WW2 game.

You have no evidence to suggest otherwise. You're simply baselessly accusing people of being bigots because they don't like how the game was presented in marketing.

I don't play Fortnite. Is that because I hate women, since there are female characters in Fortnite?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I'll take the fact that you've changed your argument from
I haven't, actually. "It's disrespectful" and "people don't like what they don't like" is the same argument expressed in different words.

I just thought it was obvious that "what they don't like" is "disrespect" and "fantasy takes", where "fantasy takes" are viewed as "disrespectful".

But I can see you're desperately looking for any excuse to leave this debate, since you're losing it, so I'll let you save face and leave with your dignity intact. Toodles!

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Which is nowhere near "people don't like what they don't like".
My apologies for not spelling out to you that "people who want a respectful take on WW2 don't like disrespectful WW2 games". I honestly thought you would have made that connection. My mistake.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No sexist outcry over ever so popular movies like Atomic Blonde (which there was by the way),
I don't remember much if any outcry or people yelling "You only don't like it because it's a woman" about Atomic Blonde.

Almost like a certain group of people developed really, really long toes when other people started to more actively call out gender and race specific tropes and issues in fiction that they'd like to see changed.

Ripley was gender swapped from male to female in Alien to appeal more to the feminist movement at the time. Imagine a big sc-fi blockbuster doing that now... Heck, Ripley in current times would be criticized for being a man-hating, SJW Mary Sue for calling out all the male characters on their incompetent actions. The amount of youtube videos from the usual suspects would be insurmountable.
Nah Ripley IS being criticised these days by "feminists" as a 'Man with boobs' lol

Wasn't it at a bar?
No it was meant to meant to be a church hall.

Man, it is almost as if this is my point. I am totally alright with Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare and all those other war movies that uses WW2 as a backdrop for some wanton destruction. My point is that if you are alright with unrealistic portrayals of how the war was fought in terms of how it is glorified, made to look like a cool rollercoaster ride or virtual lasertag you don't get to draw a line when someone adds women or minorities to the cast of soldiers. Because at that point you are using your supposed care for the memory and decency of dead soldiers as an excuse to justify bigotry.
So which of them had a one armed English woman with a cricket bat leading the charge again?

There's a limit to how far things can be stretched. If they wanted to go full alt-history, everyone joining in and occult warfare too and more over the top stuff then I'd have been up for it. However they didn't they specifically were even releasing DLC multiplayer maps based on the idea of following how the front evolved. They even claimed the campaign would depict real women who really fought in WW2. It didn't instead it chose to replace a commando unit with a mother and daughter. No stories of actual women in World War 2 or even based loosely on them.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't remember much if any outcry or people yelling "You only don't like it because it's a woman" about Atomic Blonde.
No, it had the usual 'woman can't beat man' BS thrown at it.

Nah Ripley IS being criticised these days by "feminists" as a 'Man with boobs' lol
And there is proper grounds for that, seeing as women don't need to be masculine to be strong. This doesn't make characters like Ripley or Sarah Conner bad, it's just something for writers to be aware of to not automatically equate strength to being masculine/macho, which generally seems to be the case.

It's also not something that a particular group of youtubers makes dozens of videos about.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That's probably because a) the movie watching audience isn't as pissy as gamers are, and b) Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson stay in their lane, sorta speak. And Denzel Washington stays away from geek shit all together where most if not all the toxicity is housed.
And it's far less accepted to be racist than it is to be transphobic. So they can get away with shitting on LGBTQ more easily than PoC, and face less flack for their statements.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
You can be the smartest person in the world and still be a bigot. I don't ever make excuses for racists.
And you can be a fucking idiot and not be a bigot. Granted, I'd say the percentage of those 2 traits going hand in hand probably is higher, but it's not a guarantee.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No, it had the usual 'woman can't beat man' BS thrown at it.
Again, literally never heard any of it so it must have been some obscure no-where corner of the internet.

And there is proper grounds for that, seeing as women don't need to be masculine to be strong. This doesn't make characters like Ripley or Sarah Conner bad, it's just something for writers to be aware of to not automatically equate strength to being masculine/macho, which generally seems to be the case.
Except Sarah Connor was less macho dude than Captain Marvel or Rey lol

It's also not something that a particular group of youtubers makes dozens of videos about.
Depends on which lot of youtubers you're looking at. I mean I seem to remember Anita implying that Black Widow was either a "fighting fucktoy" or a "Man with boobs" at one point.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Again, literally never heard any of it so it must have been some obscure no-where corner of the internet.
That's because the movie isn't very popular and the cries only reared their head surrounding its release.

Was she? How so? Also, I never mentioned Captain Marvel or Rey as a positive example.

Depends on which lot of youtubers you're looking at. I mean I seem to remember Anita implying that Black Widow was either a "fighting fucktoy" or a "Man with boobs" at one point.
When was that, back in 2012? And considering how shafted Black Widow was as a character in the MCU she wasn't exactly wrong. She was basically 'Fighting Girl Person who is sometimes love interest'.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
You realize that's an opinion and not a fact right? Because if someone was to ask me, on a macho scale, which of those 3 female characters, was more overtly coded male in their overall representation, it would be Sarah Connor, by a mile. She had burned away basically every emotion except anger, rage, and bullheaded determination to accomplish her goal. She never cried, and the one time she actually addresses her feminine nature (when she's berating the scientist for making the cyberdyne systems), she's aggressively talking about motherhood, using it like a blunt instrument to badger him, to the point where her son, someone presented as being a smug, arrogant teenager (who immediately changed his tune and became WAY more empathic and caring when he learned it was All True), had to tell her to chill the fuck out. A man, who was on the floor, openly weeping, showing more emotion and empathy than she was apparently capable of. She was basically a rabid dog in a female skin suit.

Captain Marvel was closer to Sarah on the "macho to femcho" scale, but she would still do things like smile, laugh, try and empathize with people, show basic humanity, etc. She made choices based on basic human decency, like to help those being killed for no reason, up to and including turning on her previous people. She felt empty without her memories, and sought out people who could help her regain what she lost, as far as her memory, and overall identity. She had glimpses of it, and wanted it back. I can't give more specific details, as I only saw Captain Marvel once (found it to be a middle of the road marvel movie), but T2 I've seen probably dozens of times by now.

Rey, ok I have NO clue how you can look at Rey, how she behaves, reacts to outside forces (no pun intended), engages with other people, and say she is more "macho dude" than Sarah "I'll Fucking Shove a Pen In Your Knee" Connor. Rey shows compassion and empathy, even for non-biologics, laughs, cries, openly weeping when she loses Han, hugs Finn, and leans into it, deeply happy that he is alive and safe. Tells jokes, is eager like a puppy when she fixes a mechanical problem, openly shows fear (a fucking cardinal sin for dudebros everywhere. only pussies show fear!) . And that's just Force Awakens examples of her being feminine.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Ripley and Sarah Conner existed once, and sometimes we get one female lead for every ten male ones, which then sparks outrage over preceived SJW pandering; why are you complaining about lack of female leads?
Also, Colonial Marines left Vasquez out of the multiplayer skins available. Super fucking lame. Unless Jeanette Goldstein said no to using her likeness.