'The Pit: Hell Frozen Over' - Arc 3, Chapter 3: 'The One Truth' (Closed, Started)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"it was better than where we came from, that's for damn sure!" Lucia spat.

Three months!?

"If you were watching us for that long why'd you wait until we reached that village to swoop in and 'save the day'? We lost several good men in those three months. And---" Lucia stopped herself before continuing on. Blind accusations weren't going to get her anywhere. She was pissed, sure, but there were too many unknowns to risk getting her captures agitated.

She sighed, "Look, we appreciate what you've provided for us, but why keep us cooped up here? Can't we at least be trusted to look after ourselves? We don't even know who you people are, so why think we would bring you harm?"

Diplomacy was an art she had long forgotten, but she tried at least.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
"Yeah, a bunch of ex-cons from the world's most brutal prisons, I'm sure you're all a bunch of saints," Riley responded sarcastically. "It's just easier for us to keep an eye on you if you're all in one place. As for why we only intervened at the village, it's simple. My men were there. I tracked you and made sure the garrison was ready to meet you when it was possible. It's easier for one man to move quickly and unseen than it is a group of them, I'm sure you realize."

His smile returned and he clapped his hands together. "Right, question time's over. Starting tomorrow, we'll be taking you out in small groups to give you some fresh air and exercise."

With that, he turned and left, striding through the small compound to his personal quarters. He had no interest in the Free Men beyond that it was his job to keep them safe, and he intended to do it to the best of his ability. Still, he was slightly intrigued by their group dynamic. It was surprising that those men hadn't pinned down that young Greek girl to take turns on her, now that her protector was gone.

He supposed for now, all he could do was watch and see how it played out. That was what he'd done for three months, with no company but Odin. He opened the door to his room, a cozy living space bordering on cramped. A desk at one side was littered with handmade clay pots of different powders and creams. Mostly poisons and neurotoxins made from various plant life, but some were antidotes and medicines. Propped in one corner were two unstrung bows of differing length, as well as a second machete. Shrugging the bow off his shoulder, he unstrung it and placed it with its fellows, dropping the string into a desk drawer, then sat down on his bed, with his back on the wall. After three months, he was tired. But there was more to do. Always more to do. He should probably check in with Talon if she was done with Nikolai.

He shuddered at that thought. He did not envy the big man his position as her patient, for whatever she had in store for him. Then he shrugged and unbuckled the gear strapped to his belt, then lay on the bed. She could stew a while longer; it was time for a nap.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
"Good to know their integration is going smoothly." Lee responded "However, we need to do more than just bring the numbers up to what they were 3 months ago. When Iron squad was first formed, I needed a tip of the spear, a purposefully small strike force. Things have changed, and Iron squad needs to expand, become standardized with the numbers of other squads at RACDI-Alpha. To continue otherwise is too conspicuous."

Lee withdrew a handful of files from his desk draw, and fanned them out on the desk in front of the Captain.

"These are some of the new recruits I've acquired. Rest assured they all still fit the profile. Ex-special forces, thoroughly vetted with no anomalies to report, and still in peak physical condition. Take them all in for now, and when you're finished with them the seven most talented will integrate into Iron squad."

===============================================================================================================================

"It is time I greeted the rest of our guests." The Talon said, after the most dangerous period of the surgery had passed.

The medical wing was one of the most secure parts of their most recent home, buried deep underground. The rest were being held on the surface, in one of the abandoned aircraft hangars. On her way, any Songbirds she passed by dropped the their knees, stopping what they were doing in an instant. Their eyes were wide in their sockets when she passed by, utter reverence in their souls. In truth, she didn't care for it. They were too small-minded, these empty constructs of imagined authority. However, they were necessary. The Great Revolution did not require a large army. What it did require, was utter, unshakable faith in the One Truth, and those who's minds were closed to the One Truth, as men shield their eyes from the light of the Sun, must instead project their devotion onto the font of the One Truth, the Prophet of The Great Revolution, herself.

'Waste!' she thought to herself, as she stepped outside, and gazed upon her refuge. 'Waste and weakness. Yet still we grasp pathetically, like a drowning man holding onto his last lungful of air, even though he knows no hope remains.'

Still, it felt good to be out in the open air. There were too many ghosts for her beneath the Earth.

The great doors of the hangar opened to make way for her. Inside the enormous space, dwellings and communal areas had been hastily constructed, to give their visitors some sense of structure and belonging. She stepped towards them, out of the daylight, her left arm gleaming from the shine of the floodlights indoors. All of the Songbirds took to their knees.

"Welcome, lost wanderers." She told them, her voice soft and her smile warm. "Forgive me, in the rush to shelter you, and to give you all the provisions you needed, there has not been the time until now for us to be introduced, and I'm sure you have so many questions."

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
"Good morning." A voice said, interrupting Abigail as she was busy cleaning the top of the bar counter. Looking up she saw a rather tanned looking woman with long dark brown hair, dressed in a rather fine business suit enter the bar. Clearly this one was a Executive, and a high ranking one at that. There was certainly a hint of a Spanish accent in her voice.

"And a good morning to you as well Miss." Abigail said with a smile as she put down her cleaning tools for the moment.

"You here for an early drink, or is there something else I can help you with?" Abigail asked politely.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"Right, question time's over. Starting tomorrow, we'll be taking you out in small groups to give you some fresh air and exercise."

Lucia was not amused. She scowled as he spoke and continued to do so until he was gone, "I don't trust him," She thought a moment and continued. "I don't trust any of them. And they know too much."

What if they try to sell us back...

Lucia's heart sank. Going back to the Pit... that wasn't an option. She'd sooner take her own life than return to that hellhole. She sat in silence as did Acolyte.

That was until she appeared.

"Forgive me, in the rush to shelter you, and to give you all the provisions you needed, there has not been the time until now for us to be introduced, and I'm sure you have so many questions."

The last time she'd seen a woman with a prosthetic arm she was nearly killed. Lucia balled up two fists at her sides and inhaled sharply. She needed to be strong. She needed this woman to understand who she was and what she was capable of.

She needed to be Kusanagi.

Kusanagi got to her feet and approached the woman, greeting her with a cold expression, "My name is Kusanagi. These are the Freemen. May I ask what you plan to do with us?"

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

The Warden patrols had gotten lazy. It was clear the inspection of the Lower Levels had winded down and that the remaining wardens on duty had been completely burned out these past three days. This phenomenon had repeated itself a number of times since the riot, and every time it did more people ended up dead.

Pvt. Michele Stevens according to the tag, a name he recognized... but not the face. He had found her corpse at the bottom of a ravine by the coal mines. An area of the Pit that wasn't frequently patrolled. Her body was mangled by the 50+ meter drop, but the signs were clear enough. Blunt trauma to the back of the head, rape--possibly by multiple assailants--and to top it all off her face had been caved in (likely by the boots of the same men that had raped her).

Neil spat on the ground nearby as if trying to banish the taste of despair from his maw. He remembered this woman from the barracks. He'd taken her out to get drinks one night. Nothing came of it, but she was a good girl. Better than this place.

Certainly not deserving of a fate such as this.

He had to figure out who had done this and make them pay for their sins. There would be no trial. They had already been found guilty in his eyes. He just needed their faces.

And then it happened...

"Hey, you! What the fuck are you doing over there?"

A warden on patrol had wandered away from the mines--probably to take a piss--and had stumbled upon what appeared to be the aftermath of a brutal murder. Neil was at the wrong place, at the wrong time.

This isn't what it looks like! FUCK!

As Neil stood from his squatting position he pulled his ski-mask over his face as to conceal his identity and turned to face the warden who was running towards his potion, rifle drawn, "I will find the man who did this."

A mere 2 meters away the warden called out, "No need, looks like I just found him," He grabbed the radio on his collar and barked into it. "I need backup outside the coal mines. I've just got a murderer--"

"Wrong answer," The warden cried out and flew into a wild spasm for several moments before hitting the dirt. Neil saw Connors standing over the half-conscious warden with a taser in his hand. "What the fuck are you looking at? We need to run!"

Neil nodded and the two of them fled the scene as fast as their legs could take them. After putting a good quarter-mile between them and the crime scene Connors grabbed the now mask-less Neil by the jacket and threw him up against an alleyway wall. The old man was much stronger than he looked, "What THE FUCK was that!?"

Neil threw his hands up in submission, "Calm down, Connors. I've got this under--"

"You ain't got shit!" He spat, "You're running around this fucking shithole pretending you're the god damned Batman, when in reality, you're just as fucked in the head as the rest of these psychopaths! That's it! I'm fucking out! The wardens are going to eat your ass alive!" And with that Mr. Connors had briskly stormed off.

It wasn't the first time Mr. Connors had blown up like that and quit. He would be back. Though, the question was... would Neil still be there when he returned?

After considering it for a moment Neil came to a firm conclusion.

He was thoroughly fucked.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
"Just stretching my legs." Selina replied, walking up to the bar. "I suppose it is early... but what the hell, surprise me!"

===============================================================================================================================

The raising of the girls hackles left The Talon unmoved. Always so aggressive, so eager to initiate their own self-destruction. No wonder mankind had fallen so far in The Cataclysm, and no wonder still that, without The Great Revolution, nothing could possibly be saved.

"Be at peace, Kusanagi." she said, her soft tone echoing through the hangar, creating a melodious, almost hypnotic effect. "I am The Talon, and I mean you no harm."

She embraced the girl, bringing her under the protection of The Songbirds. When she withdrew, she kept her arms on the girl's shoulders, and looked deep into her eyes. This one was still tender, her mask not even skin deep yet. She saw much pain there, and yet also hope. Misguided.

"I cannot tell you what will happen to you, not yet. There are many roads ahead for you, and beyond that I see no further. If you are still afraid, ask yourself why I would feed you from our own stores, and tend to your sicknesses, if I meant for any ill to befall you?"

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
"Just stretching my legs." The woman said as she approached the bar. "I suppose it is early... but what the hell, surprise me!"

Abigail took a moment to look the woman over, see if she could get any clues as to what sort of cocktail she should make. Going back to her accent, Abigail realised that perhaps a Spanish inspired cocktail would have the Executive think of home somewhat. She went over to the back wall of the bar, and started flicking through a handy guide of cocktails recipes to find something that seemed appropriate.

"Aha! I think I've got it." Abigail said a snap of her fingers before gathering up an assortment of ingredients and equipment. First she poured in a handful of ice cubes into a cocktail shaker, then added an equal measure of both gin and sherry, two tea spoons of sugar, some freshly squeezed lemon juice, and some freshly squeezed orange juice; Abigail then proceeded to vigorously shake the cocktail together.

After a minute or so, Abigail then poured the mixture into a cooled cocktail glass, and presented the finished drink.

"Here you go Miss, the natural sweetness of the fruits should help wake up any part of you that is still asleep."

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"...If you are still afraid, ask yourself why I would feed you from our own stores, and tend to your sicknesses, if I meant for any ill to befall you?"

To say Kusanagi had been taken aback would be an understatement. The only person that had embraced her in such a manner in the past seven months had been her brother. Feeling the warmth of another was somewhat... pleasant. Kusanagi saw through the facade, however. This woman wanted something. And she fancied herself a spirit guide of sorts as well.

This would be a headache.

Kusanagi's face had relaxed and her voice had softened, but she was still on her guard, "I apologize if I appear ungrateful. That fact is, we're all thankful for what your people have done for us. Nikolai is like an older brother to these men and the sight of him back on his feet will surely raise moral. However," Kusanagi's stare sharpened. "If you're here to answer questions I hope I am not mistaken in believing you will be completely honest with us."

A smile appeared on her face, "The truth is, I feel as if a great weight will be lifted off my shoulders if I have this one important question answered." The smile seemed to disappear as the words left her mouth, "What exactly happened to those villagers?"

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Riley came awake quickly. He was slumped over the side of the bed, with his hand enclosed in warmth. He opened his eyes. Odin was curled up next to the bed, and Riley's hand was nestled in his thick fur. He wondered idly how the huge wolf had gotten into the compound without him as he sat up. Odin woke up at the motion, his yellow eyes grazing over Riley's own, but not locking on. A subtle sign of deference. Standing up, he buckled on his pistol and machete, deciding to leave his bows, and headed to the door, Odin on his heels.

As he moved through the compound, he detected motion from the converted hangar, and headed towards it. The door was ajar, and he moved inside, where he saw Talon talking with the young lady who had questioned him earlier. His appearance caused some of the men to glance at him, and then hushed sounds of shock at the wolf at his side.

"Talon. I've already checked in on our guests, here. But for being separated from the big man, they seem to be doing fine."

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
"Thank you very much." Selina said, before taking a sip from the glass. The effect of the taste was more powerful than she had anticipated. She wasn't just reminded of home, she was almost back there. For that briefest second, so very close. The halcyon summer afternoons spent reading on the balcony. The evening high-society parties, where she had wrapped the great and the good of Iberia around her little finger. The rush she felt to see Assemblymen, Ambassadors and Generals trip over each-other attempting to gain her favour, while the women they had brought in on their arms barely contained the sourness of their envy.

Above all else though, was her father's face. Serious yet kind; bookish yet endearing. It was the face he had worn before the war, when he still looked at her with pride. His expression when they had said their goodbyes the last time had been very different. She had ripped him in two that day, and opened a wound with no possibility of healing. As a parent, he had loved her as much on that day as ever before, perhaps even more so. However, her father The Parent, and her father The Servant could not be separated. The man had dedicated everything, and risked even more, in the name of the glory of the Iberian Alliance. He had never truly cared for the power he wielded, only what he could do with it in service to the nation. His roots to Iberia sank deeper than any Emperor; and on that day, his own flesh and blood had stood before him betraying everything he believed in, everything he had toiled for. He could never hate her, but neither could he forgive her. When it had come down to it, her father couldn't even bring himself to look her in the eye.

She had made the only choice she could. In order to save Iberia, in order to give the ruling class the security of being able to claim victory, she had sullied it, condemning it to a second-rate future. On the day that treaty was signed, Iberia became at best a client nation, a crony of Ignite Solutions, and Selina had been the one who had given the Emperor his pen. From that day on, all of it, the power, the perks, the splendor, would all have an unbearably bitter aftertaste. How could she stay? How could she go on serving, when the glory of the Iberian Alliance that her father had fought so hard for, was now nothing more than a masquerade, and it was her fault?

That choice had been a wise one, and now Selina soared higher than ever, with the lift of Venture Horizon's power and influence beneath her wings; and yet, in that tiny moment Selina had never regretted her choice more.

Little, if any of this melancholy showed on her face, as Selina had long ago become accustomed to keeping her true heart as far away from her sleeve as possible. Instead, she gave a small moan of intense satisfaction, confirmation of this woman's excellent work.

"Tell me Miss... how long have you been here?" she asked.

============================================================================================================================

"I will answer all your inquiries as well as I am able," The Talon told her, her smile only growing warmer as Kusanagi's faded. "and you may believe whatever you take most comfort in believing. However, I cannot promise that I will be completely honest with you. For you see... there is only one truth, the One Truth, that matters, and only those that are ready can know it. Beyond that, you have my word that I will answer with the closest analogue to fact that my single perspective can offer."

This one was fierce, determined, and intelligent. All qualities The Talon greatly admired. The Talon was certain that Kusanagi was not this one's real name, but it fit her well, so The Talon would address her as such. After all, she had grown up with no name at all. What was a name other than another meaningless construct, meant to distract the mortal gaze from the One Truth. In many ways she was reminded of a younger version of herself, when she stared deep into those eyes. That said, the cancer of naivety still clung to this one, distorting her world view. This one was not ready to know the One Truth. Not yet, but perhaps in time...

"The companion that you call Nikolai is going to live." she announced. "For days he danced on the edge, but out of hopelessness he chose purpose, and though he may take time to adjust, when that time is done he will be stronger than ever before. Now, as for the villagers... their deaths were not by our hand. They were slaughtered by enemies of The Great Revolution, heretics to the One Truth. However, I do not deny that their deaths benefited us in some passive form. From what we observed of their demise we learned valuable information. In this war we are fighting, none are safe, and all will surely sacrifice in some form before we see the end."

It was at this point Riley entered.

"Very good." she congratulated him upon his informing her of the situation. "You have done excellent work, and this day our song will be in your honour."

The giant wolf, Odin, slunk towards her. His head was bowed. With her mechanical left arm she scratched the beast behind the ears, and he nuzzled into her side affectionately. Apart from Riley, The Talon was the only one who Odin recognised as a superior. Riley was one of her best operators, and the hatred he held in his heart for their mutual enemies was more than enough to ensure his loyalty. However, his wolf had a greater understanding of the One Truth than he did. In fact, such a revelation made perfect sense, and was further proof to The Talon of the necessity of The Great Revolution.

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
"Tell me Miss... how long have you been here?" The woman asked after taking a sip from the cocktail, and gave a small moan of satisfaction, obviously enjoying the drink that Abigail had prepared.

"Hmm, it would be around five years if I recall correctly. Five years of serving drinks and providing some generally polite conversation, and keeping the peace when some of the Wardens get a bit fighty after having one too many beers. Was discovered by one of Venture Horizon's recruitment agents after he came into the bar I worked at back in my hometown of New Toronto; he need a strong drink to get over some trouble he'd gotten into." Abigail said as she poured herself a glass of orange juice.

"So, how long have you been working for Venture Horizon then, Miss...?" She then asked after taking a sip of her drink.

Mr.Ivebeenframed

Jan 6, 2011
"Oh my God..." Lewis whispered out.

They had arrived on the scene as fast as they could. Since the Wardens were changing shifts from the early morning to the morning squads, there must have been a shortage of Wardens around in the lower-levels. Lewis dreaded going back down there again but now the place burned a hole in his memory.

The medic draped a blanket over the woman's desecrated body. A Warden's body.

Marino mumbled a curse before covering his nose because of the stench. A few Wardens arrived as well to assess what exactly had happened here. This wasn't just a murder but a reminder of an age where Wardens weren't that safe from the criminals they were watching. This was the first case of a Warden murdered that Lewis had seen mostly because none of the prisoners had the gusto to do such a thing now that Lee had laid down his fist.

But Lewis and Marino wasn't the first one on the scene. Besides the medics there was a Warden who first saw the grisly aftermath. He was attended to as well after being rendered unconscious by someone, most likely one of the murderers. Lewis approached the man who was against the wall, being treated.

"Hey you alright, mate?" Lewis crouched next to him. The Warden nodded his head, clutching an ice pack next to it as he did so. "Did you see who did this?"

"Not really. The fucker had a mask and ran off then someone tazed me from behind. Probably a croonie of his. I'm surprised I didn't get shanked." The Warden said. Lewis nodded his head and stood back up to Marino.

"Thanks, mate." Lewis said before leaving for their post. He waited until they were a few steps away, thinking of what he was going to say. "Damn..."

"There hasn't been a murder in a while here especially since Lee started to clamp down on the inmates." Marino said.

"I guess it isn't that surprising since this place is covered in murderers, rapists, and thugs but... that was just brutal."

"You can say that again..." Marino joked. The two made their way back to Mid-level, passing the massive refinery and its workers. A bell sounded and prisoners went on break for a few moments. Lewis and Marino walked close to the break area to get to their post when Lewis spotted her piercing green eyes. Lewis nearly doubled back in his steps. He stopped instead and looked for them in the crowd again. But the sight was ephemeral and was never seen again. He squinted and scanned but never saw her eyes again. Aggie's eyes.

"You alright, Lewis?" Marino asked. Lewis looked back at Marino disappointed. He shook his head.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go."

--------------------------------------------------------------

The break bell was sounded a Aggie let go of her machine. She's worked hundreds of hours into the machine and only twice its broken down on her which isn't that bad considering the fact that these machines were pretty old. Aggie piled out with a few of the prisoners who were working along the lines. Small talk was exchanged but Aggie just tuned it all out. Some prisoner pointed out a couple Wardens passing by and a few around her snuffed their cigarettes. Then he passed by them.

She refused to believe it. She refused to believe that to have seen his emerald eyes pass by in a body she couldn't recognize. There was no way it could have him in those clothes with a gun. She ducked her head down hoping to believe that she was just hallucinating. There was no way that her little brother was a Warden. Her time must be running out faster than she thought. She raised a dirtied hand to her forehead, gauging her temperature but it was fine. Maybe she was hallucinating either.

Aggie went back inside to her machine. She punched the machine it sputtered but it still worked. Her skin cracked and a few drops of blood was released onto the machine.

Okay... I'm not dreaming...

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
At the snap of his fingers, Odin returned to Riley's side and stood as still as a statue. Riley glanced around at the Free Men staring, and gestured to the Talon. "By all means, m'lady, do go on. Don't let me interrupt this. But as they're my... guests, I might as well listen in, wouldn't you agree?"

With that, he leaned against the doorframe with his arms folded.

==========================================================================================================================

Acolyte stared at their casual handling of the wolf. This "Odin" was bigger than the ones that had nearly run them down at the cave; even the Alpha, and its pelt was a little paler. A different breed entirely.

He cleared his throat, tearing his eyes away from the creature. "What I would like to know is what the purpose of your group is, and what your reason was for tracking us. For netting us up like fish and containing us. For that matter, what's this 'One Truth' you're preaching? If there's one thing I learned in the Temple, it's that truth defies simplicity, and there's certainly more than one."

willofbob

Aug 22, 2010
Olivander groggily answered the door, looking at the visitor with tired, glazed-over eyes. It took him a moment to recognise hios fellow executive.
"Oh. Hello, Richard." He said, giving his best effort at a smile, his eyes sunken and purple, "You'll have to excuse my appearance. It was a busy night."

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Take them all in for now, and when you're finished with them the seven most talented will integrate into Iron squad."

Luka scooped up the files, tucking them under his left arm. His old habit that left his right free to draw his pistol or kukri. "I've been planning a brutal new training regimen. I've been on the fence as to whether to use it, but I suppose it'll make the perfect test to weed out the weak. I'll need to requisition some men for it, though. I need a few more pairs of hands to coordinate everything. The tests will consume a few days, but by the end, we'll have our soldiers."

He adjusted the folders under his arm, and then asked, "is there anything else, sir?"

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
"Yes." Lee replied, his tone of voice softening, but just barely. "How is she?"

No further clarification was needed.

"Hernandez, Selina Hernandez." She answered, extending the offer of a handshake. "I've been working for Venture Horizon for eight years now. Before then, I headed up all of Ignite Solution's North Africa operations. They concluded ti was the best place for me, considering they were exactly the same operations I'd overseen when that territory still belonged to Iberia."

The Talon looked past Kusanagi, to this new one who spoke. This one had quite the history to him. He was clearly Western European in origin, but his accent was weak and nebulous, suggesting a long period of travel, just like her. He was tall and athletic, his stance and the ever present focus in his eyes were clues to extensive martial arts training. The very faint signs of repeated needle use were sill present on his arms, and he shifted uncomfortably under his flak jacket.

"These 'temples' that you speak of have a limited understanding of truth." she told him, gliding up to him calmly, her smile still warm. "I should know, I have traveled to all places, and seen all kinds of preachers debate and pontificate. The One Truth is evident in all their teachings, but never fully realised, never understood by those who hold the keys to it. Political, spiritual... all are facets, broken fragments of clouded glass, each individually offering only the smallest and most distorted insight of the One Truth. I have assembled the fragments, cleared the pane, bridged all divides and unraveled the mask of rhetoric, and I can see..." At this point, The talon extended her left arm, and deftly touched, with the tip of one hooked blade, the center of the swastika brand that lay concealed beneath his attire.

"The One Truth is complete, pure, and undeniable, the sum of all the pieces and yet more still. Perhaps, one day, you will see it as unimpeded as I do. Of this I am certain though, if I simply told you now, you would refuse to accept it. Forgive me, but I refuse to sabotage your understanding by revealing what you are not yet ready to comprehend.

We are the Songbirds, and our purpose is to bring about The Great Revolution, the only logical conclusion of the One Truth. You are here simply because otherwise you would all be dead. Beyond that, your path is still undecided. You could become allies in The Great Revolution, you could become enemies, or you could simply pass by on a tangent, separate from us. Until it can be ascertained which, you remain here. Unless to conspire to cause us ill, then you have my solemn oath that I shall treat you with nothing but kindness."

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
"Hernandez, Selina Hernandez." Selina answered with, offering a handshake which Abigail accepted and returned. "I've been working for Venture Horizon for eight years now... They concluded it was the best place for me, considering they were exactly the same operations I'd overseen when that territory still belonged to Iberia."

"A pleasure to meet you Miss Hernandez. My name is Abigail Nyte." Abigail said with a smile.

"What a...interesting life you've lead; I cannot claim that my life has been as illustrious as yours, it has been a decent one. Growing up in New Toronto, things were peaceful, and with the waterways providing reasonable trade locations, stable in an economic sense. Sure there would be a bit of unrest now and then, but the same could be said of everywhere in the world. At least I know someone close to me who is working to keep people safe; my father, you see he works as a Captain for the city's SWAT team." Abigail said with a bit of blush on her cheeks, proud of her father.

"Apologies for that Miss Hernandez, didn't mean to start talking about my life. So I take it your work has mostly been in a logistical or managerial sense then? And how have you been enjoying your stay here so far?"

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Korovitch didn't answer right away. His eyes widened, and for a few seconds he stood there. He was lost in memories, breaking down the door, seeing Cornelius on top of her. And before that, years before that. Not Lisa, but the woman she'd reminded him of; he'd been a young man...

He shook himself, under the Colonel's gaze, and spoke. "The surgeries have been successful. Her shins are more fibreglass than bone now, but I'm told it won't impede her walking ability at all. If anything, her lower legs will be more durable than those of your average human. She's in therapy now. Who knows how long that will take. Lis--", he cleared his throat. "Specialist Beaumont is as well as she can be expected to be, given everything. I would not be surprised if she resigned her position, though."

He looked at Lee. "If that's everything, sir, it appears I have men to induct." The brief emotion was gone from his voice. He was coldly professional once more.

===========================================================================================================================

Acolyte's brow twitched in shock, and he gently but firmly moved the blade from his chest. If the woman was as gifted at reading people as he suspected, she probably knew he had had to thoroughly check his actions in order to prevent himself from slapping her mechanical arm away from the mark burned over his heart. Odin and the bearded man were watching him intently, he noticed. Two pairs of glowing wolf eyes burning into him. He ignored them.

When he spoke, it was with the utmost politeness. "That all sounds just a bit pretentious to me."

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Kusanagi took a step back as the Talon engaged both Riley and Acolyte. She wanted to focus. Take it all in. This woman spoke in riddles and she would have to analyse the details to get at their meaning.

"...Until it can be ascertained which, you remain here. Unless to conspire to cause us ill, then you have my solemn oath that I shall treat you with nothing but kindness."

Kusanagi stepped forward once more, "I cannot speak for everyone else here, but I'm going to warn you of your impending disappointment. Considering what we have all been through, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of us went with the 'tangent' option. You have been kind enough to us and I wish you no ill will, but I have a promise to keep. I can't throw my life away as a part of some revolution."

Eyes downcast, Kusanagi sighed before continuing, "I thought that way once. Perhaps in another life I would have heard your call-to-arms, but," Kusanagi's locked eyes with Talon's once more. "I'm not just living for myself anymore."

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Neil, hiding atop an out-croft in the stone wall, watched the wardens from afar as they investigated the crime scene. Through his binoculars he had a pretty good view, though he was way too far from them to hear what they were saying. He went over the events in his head over-and-over again.

There's no way I left anything incriminating... is there?

He noticed one of the wardens kneeling down by something several meters away from the corpse. It was a cigarette butt.

Fuck.

It was all clear to him now. He could retrace his steps perfectly. He was smoking when he looked over the ledge and saw the body below. As he climb down the stairs nearby he'd flicked his cigarette butt away.

Fuck me.

The warden brought the cigarette butt to his superior who got out an evidence bag and placed it within. The wardens had his DNA on record. Though he suspected Lee knew of his survival, after a quick DNA test he'd know for sure.

And he'd think he was a murderer.

Neil didn't want to, but he knew he had but one option. He would have to seek her aid. It was either that, or run from the wardens for the rest of his life.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

It didn't take long for him to find what the wardens called, "The Ragged Man." He was an inmate who was given some humble privileges for his services as a liaison between important inmates and the wardens. His "position" had become more-or-less defunct since the riot, but if an inmate who was worth a damn still had a message to send, the more "flexible" wardens would allow him to deliver it. Neil found him in the back of an alley in the upper-levels. He wasn't sure if the man would recognize him after his makeover, but he had something to offer him so it likely wouldn't matter.

Nonchalantly, Neil stood next to him and placed a small baggy on a crate nearby. Some crack he'd picked off of one of his marks a few days ago. The ragged man looked at it for a moment before slipping it into his pocket, "Who and what?"

Neil stared at the wall in front of them as he spoke, "I need this delivered to a warden named Lisa. I don't know her last name. She's French, if that helps."

"Consider it done," The man said as he took the sealed letter from Neil's hand, "Pleasure doing business with you."

Neil stood there in the alleyway alone as the man left. He remained there with nothing but his memories to keep him company.

During the chaos of the riots he had managed to get a letter to her hospital bed. In the letter he explained that he was sorry for what had happened to her and said he'd atone by living out the rest of his days in the Pit. He'd never received a response nor did he ever expect to get one, but if she had any shred of sympathy for him... hopefully she would extend him this small favor.

If she refused... he was finished.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
"Of course, Captain." Lee said "Just one more thing...

I'm not sure how well you knew each-other, if at all, but I just feel it prudent to inform you of the sad news that one of our civilian colleagues is gravely ill. Dr. Maxwell Cohen is one of the regular medical staff assigned to this facility. He was responsible for a round of inoculations involving Micah squad just over 3 months ago, while they were still under command of our dear departed compatriot, Lt. Cornelius. It would appear that Dr. Cohen had previously made some extra wages on the side by feeding the black market inside The Pit, using routine supply drops that would be intercepted by Micah squad, but I suppose all that is by the by now."

Lee leaned forward over his desk, and looked directly up at Luka, both men's expressions still blank.

"Two days ago Dr. Cohen's health deteriorated very quickly, and he was airlifted to a specialist medical facility. The staff there have informed me that he is suffering from radiation sickness, presumably from some kind of industrial accident. The matter is being investigated. They assure me that they're doing everything thy can for Dr. Cohen, but his prognosis isn't good. At this point, they are doing their best to make him as comfortable as possible, in what little way they can. It would appear the onus is on me, tactless as it may seem, to start looking for his replacement. Just thought you ought to know."

Lee's mouth moved into an uncharacteristically pronounced smile.

"As you were, Captain. Do give Specialist Beaumont my regards in your next correspondence."

============================================================================================================================

Miss Nyte appeared to be friendly enough, as well as good at her job. She was a little small time for Selina's tastes, but then, she supposed that, for all her skill at charm and deft diplomacy, juggling matters of global significance with a smile and a spring in her step, Selina actually had very little idea how to have an innocent conversation.

"My stay has been... cold." She replied, taking another sip of her drink. That summed it up in pretty much every sense of the word. "And it's quite all right, you can say whatever you like and I'll find a reason for it to be relevant to my job.

So, you left your job and family behind in the relatively peaceful city you call home, to come and freeze half to death in the middle of nowhere, serving drinks to jaded ex-soldiers, mercenaries and police officers, who've spent their day minding the single largest concentration of psychopaths on the planet. Forgive me, but either you must be getting quite the paycheck, or you had other reasons to want a change of scenery."

This one didn't trust her. It was unsurprising. If The Talon had been handed a bullet for every one of her Songbirds who had been leveling a gun at her when they first crossed paths, she reckoned she could probably have incited The Great Revolution single-handedly by now. All declared allegiance in the end, either to the One Truth, or to her. Time would tell if any of these travelers would discover their destiny here.

She laughed whimsically. "Indeed, I don't deny it; but consider... perhaps a certain pretension is precisely the remedy we all need for these troubled times. Mankind is floundering, lost. Even in the places where 'civilisation' is once again beginning to flourish, people scramble desperately to hold on to some kind of context, to find their place inside a collective existence so cruelly torn down from such a great height. Perhaps, in times like these, what our species needs is someone who is willing to look further. Someone with the conviction to challenge the very fundamentals of how we see ourselves and our place in this world. Someone who can, and will, shift the paradigm."

She moved closer, her voice growing ever softer.

"You learned at those temples for guidance I take it. You wanted to find understanding, to see more clearly the path ahead. Did it work? Was everything you experienced there exactly what you hoped it would be? You don't seem to be a missionary, so I conclude that you left, or were forced to leave, for other reasons. Since then, can you truly say that your path has always been clear, that you have never felt lost? Has what they taught you truly given you an answer to everything you've encountered?"

She listened politely to what Kusanagi had to say, before replying...

"We shall see, Kusanagi. All of our lives are forfeit at some point. I have no desire to keep you against your will as hostages or chattel. However, while you're here we will find some way for you to contribute. I apologise, but you must understand, in our world nothing is guaranteed. Protecting you, feeding you, and treating your wounds put a tremendous strain on our resources, which may cost us dear. I take on this burden with no regrets, but at the same time we can only afford to be so charitable. Rest assured, you will not be forced to make any kind of commitment beyond honest repayment of debts."