The 'Planking' Craze

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010

Has the world gone batshit bonkers. Oh wait it has which has never been so clear with this 'sport'[?].

they explain the stuff in the video but i still don't get it? is this strictly a Aussie thing cuz 'Alone in the dark' on this one. Whats so fun about imitating a Plank.

But it has turned bad as of late with a man plunging to his death after trying to 'Plank' on a 20 story building balcony and he feel off and died.

So what do you think of 'Planking'?
Should it be Stopped?
Do you 'Plank'?

i don't plank ive tried it i don't get the amusement of it. There are pictures of people planking on train tracks, and i rekon at one point someone will get run over ed because of this.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I saw this one the news this morning.....and the only thing that came to mind is "whats the point?"

In answer to your questions:-

I think its a bit pointless and weird, just another internet fad that will die out soon.
I dont think it should be stopped, as long as people aren't thick about it.
I only ever "plank" when I'm asleep.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I have to admit, this is pretty funny... although someone will inevitably get injured by doing this..but what are they gonna do? ban people from lying down?

ah you crazy aussies

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
It is an Australian thing only I think (for the time being anyway), it is retarded but worth a laugh.

If you missed it on the news a guy died from this: http://www.news.com.au/national/fatal-balcony-fall-linked-to-planking/story-e6frfkwr-1226056214322

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME!

*ahem*

yeah it's pretty lol, probably just an aussie thing i've not heard of it before

LoFr3Eq

Oct 15, 2008
I just saw this on the news here in NZ and it's pretty retarded.

At least its better than videoing school fights.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
I remember hearing about this on Triple J a couple months ago...
Don't think it's as dangerous as the news says, I think it's more of a point to mention this guy was drunk.

Drunk people do stupid things... MIND BLOWN!!

disfunkybob

Sep 9, 2008
The video is makes it look pretty funny. But it will die off. It is obviously just a fad. People will find new ways to be stupid.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
It's already been done - Lying Down Game [http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/lying-down-game]

How is this supposed to be a new thing, exactly?

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Well it is amusing for a spectacle but beyond really dangerous stuff it isn't that great to look at. Say, balancing on the crossbar of a light over a highway would be impressive, pretty stupid, but impressive.

Aedrial

Jun 24, 2009
Woodsey said:
Isn't this like, so 2007?

That was the last I heard of it I'm sure.
Yes, yes it is. I think the recent 'trend' was caused because a guy in Queensland fell of a building.

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
We've had it over in Blighty for a few years now. I don't do it personally but I know a few people who do it. And we call it the Lying Down Game, not "Planking"

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I honestly had never heard of such a thing until this morning, and I only discovered it because someone else had made a thread on the Escapist about it. But yeah, it's pretty pants-on head. Australian here.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
DalekJaas said:
It is an Australian thing only I think (for the time being anyway), it is retarded but worth a laugh.

If you missed it on the news a guy died from this: http://www.news.com.au/national/fatal-balcony-fall-linked-to-planking/story-e6frfkwr-1226056214322
The news article today was in fact the first time I've ever seen this odd behaviour before.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
This seems...very odd. It reminds me of something I saw elsewhere wherein people had this fetish of pretending they were a mannequin. Same concept, only standing very still in a rigid pose instead of sprawled out flat.

I wonder if they're doing this because they were just..."board"? *runs like hell before he is maimed for that pun*

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Eh. I find it a little amusing, and if other people get a laugh out of it who am I to tell them they're idiots. It has been around a while now, but a lot more people are hearing of it thanks to the news reports on a man who "planked" to death or whatever.
Mainly I'm amused at the media blowing this right the fuck up. Yeah, one idiot died by "planking" on a 20 story balcony. That's not cause he was planking, that's cause he fell 20 stories because he was acting like an idiot. Now there are people calling for a "ban on planking", don't ask me how they plan to enforce that. What's more, I actually heard on the news last night, I shit you not, "Coming up next, planking, the latest craze [blah blah blah] and doctors warn about the dangers of planking while drunk".
Basically, it's affording me amusement, so I'm all for it. And some of the pictures are kind of amusing.