The 'Planking' Craze

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Poeque? Sorry but I have never heard of this thing before. And to be honest it just looks silly.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Its funny... i'm an Aussie, but my entire school had only heard of this AFTER the guy fell off a several story building doing it.

and to be honest, i don't really think its cool/impressive/funny, just plain retarded.

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
Merkavar said:
DalekJaas said:
Merkavar said:

Reminds me of this ^^^ Its not an australian thing its a world wide retarded practice. seems its as old as 2003.

DalekJaas said:
It is an Australian thing only I think (for the time being anyway), it is retarded but worth a laugh.

If you missed it on the news a guy died from this: http://www.news.com.au/national/fatal-balcony-fall-linked-to-planking/story-e6frfkwr-1226056214322
looks like the australian thing started in the UK. not sure why it poped up in australia after all these years.
Yeah no... That is not the same thing at all. This is pretending to be a plank of wood on bizarre objects, not lying at different angles and playing dead

Similar though, if it had been recognised before it would not have exploded like it has
They may have different names but they are the same thing. especially the UK lying down game, the asian playing dead one is just similiar.

Aussies are a bit after o_O
This is basicly lying down game.

It is kind of fun to watch what places you could reach :p

Tazzlefrass

Libido Knievel
Oct 12, 2009
I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be about cooking salmon and other such things on boards of wood, not Aussies imitating wood. Don't you guys know your ground is 90% spiders?

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
"I believe the reason he did get arrested was because he attempted a plank that had already been done."

WHAT!? The fact that he did it on a police car that is in use couldn't POSSIBLY be the reason?

Either that guy took one too many hits to the head (rugby player after all) or he never was right in the head in the first place.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Didn't it used to be called "the laying down game"? I only remember 'cos there was a man and a woman (or it might have been two men) who got fired 'cos they took the pictures in there office and posted it online, there boss saw the pics and ... you know the rest.

It also started the small craze of "planking" across the bottom of escaltors so it would spin you round.

I get called all kinds for being able to do a rubix cube, what do these people get called!?

I think the people that say "gamers need a life" need to hear about these people who lay down for fun.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
what a bunch of bloody plankers

honestly never heard of this until now is it common?

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
I've known of it as "the lying down game" for a couple years now, even had one picture taken (very mild, across raised bits of a reception desk) back when it was all new and exciting and Wow We're Doing A Web 2.0 Thing. Then got bored and moved on.

Planking is a pretty apt name for it to have been given, though maybe not for the more literal woody reasons...

And this fella, well, what can we say. Thousands of people have taken part and NOT chosen to "plank" in an obviously stupidly dangerous and potentially fatal position such as the railing of a 7th storey balcony, and have survived their terrible self-imposed ordeal just fine. One suspects that if he hadn't done this, his genes would have found some other way to remove themselves from the pool instead. Car surfing at 80mph on a road with some low bridges or whatever.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Best. Planking. Ever.

Don't try this at home, because you can't afford your own escalators.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Johnnyallstar said:
And people wonder why the world is going downhill.
Seriously? Seriously?

The world isn't going downhill, and if it were, this wouldn't be any indication of it. It's something stupid and moderately entertaining, and it's only dangerous if you're drunk or stupid, which is the same for all sorts of things, like driving.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Ilikemilkshake said:
I have to admit, this is pretty funny... although someone will inevitably get injured by doing this..but what are they gonna do? ban people from lying down?

ah you crazy aussies
I heard somewhere that someone did die and now they are trying to ban it. Don't know how true that is though.

EllEzDee said:
Best. Planking. Ever.

Don't try this at home, because you can't afford your own escalators.
She's cheating! You're supposed to be face down aren't you?