The Pokemon design Guide, Nintendo you're doing it wrong.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Pikachu was inspired after the daughter of the creator: Satoshi Tajiri. Her face is exactly the same as Pikachu... which is a mouse if the 'rat' part wasn't meant to be a joke.

How were the second starters doing then? How would you grade a Chikorita?

If the rumors are true about the evolutions we saw earlier, we might not be so nit-picky.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
DarkRyter said:
The new water starter is one of the most divisive pokemon I've ever seen.

Comments comments comments Fucking Polar Bears. etc.

That's right, that cute little thing waddling around next to a smug leafy reptile and a pig wearing a bandana, eventually becoming the biggest land carnivore on the planet, capable of dragging out Beluga whales to feed.

(While I'm at it, Game Freak should make a Narwhal pokemon. Narwhals, Narwhals, swimming in the ocean...)
They should've made a polar bear. Bipolar. Now that's a fitting name. ;)

If they didn't said they would only make original Pokémon in this version they would've just put 'polar bear' on the Ursaring evolution chart. Tangela was an unremarkable Pokémon (Even though I love all grass types.) And they just make it bigger with hands... That's useless! No one eats blue spaghetti! That's disgusting!

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I definitely agree about the legendaries. They're starting to look ridiculous.

Less is by far more, just look at Mew, or the legendary birds.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
MajoraPersona said:
However, the biggest problem I have with your rules happens to be the first one: In order for the beasts to be interesting and believable to kids, they should be grounded in reality.

The first pokemon, #001, is a dinosaur/toad with a symbiotic plant in its back. This plant creates tentacles that resemble vines. This is obviously not your standard for realism, but right off the bat we hit some problems with that idea.

It is a video game. From Japan. About young children. Who travel around the countryside. Befriending wild animals (who apparently all have a decent level of intelligence). And turning them into energy and storing them in hand-held devices, regardless of their initial size. Sir, the moment you brought up realism, you lost.
I'll start here. I also want to say beforehand that I apologize for picking on you specifically. There are a lot of people who share this opinion and this is directed at all of them, you just happened to be on the last page and I was too lazy to quote all of them.

So what is it about the OPs argument that everyone cocked up on? If I remember, his argument went a little something like this:

It's important for the monsters to be relatable to real animals. Not only can you already sort of know what they do, but you'll also find it easier imagining their movements, attitude's and attacks. There are millions of animals for reference here, so after 6 generations there's still plenty left. Certain animals will work better with certain elements. Obviously birds will be used as inspiration as flying pokemon, fish as water pokemon etc etc.
Is it just me, or does that not make perfect sense? Where did everyone suddenly get this "Pokemon can't be realistic! It has thunder mice and flower dinosaurs and you have no idea what you're talking about!"? He never said that pokemon need to be realistic, he said that the elements from which a pokemon are based off of need to stem from animals that come from our reality. I agree, this makes sense, especially for a children's game. It's taking something we know and making it fantastic. That's exactly the sort of stuff psychologists and studies are showing kids need and are attracted to in their youth. God forbid someone got it right and now the company is veering off course from this idea and fans want them to bring it back around. Cause, y'know, the customer is always wrong!

As for the rest of that argument, with the pokeballs and taming wild animals and such, it's a fantasy story. Some things don't have to be realistic. The issue is that every fantasy story has something that connects it to the real world. In pokemon it's all the animals that resemble those which exist in our world. It binds the world concept and the gamer together and the farther they stray from that, the worse the designs will be.

I'd alos like to comment on everyone's disbelief that Bulbasaur doesn't follow the OPs' rules that pokemon design should follow. I think Graham Stark from the Loading Ready Run group put in best in one of his more recent ENN bits when he said:

Shouldn't every game have had entirely new pokemon? It's not hard to make them up. Take an animal, like a marmat, and an object, like a cup. Marmacup.
It's pokemon creation 101, here. Take an animale, like a dinosaur/toad, and an object, like a flower bulb. Bulbasaur! Is that really so difficult to understand?

As for my question:

Brotherofwill said:
[HEADING=2]What do you think? What makes a good pokemon design? Do you like the new starters? Any favorite/ hated designs?[/HEADING]
This is what I relaly came here for.

I think that you covered most of the points well. I'm pretty sure we can all disagree on elements should match the animal and that was a bit of a poor idea and hopefully you see the folly of that statement yourself. However, there is one rule I would like to add that you started to touch on, but never really got into.

A pokemon's design should represent how it functions as an animal, not as a combatant!

This annoys me to no end! Pokemon, more so now than in the starting generations, leave pokemon with abilities that have no real function in its survival. Something like zubat makes sense; it has no eyes because it uses sonnar to navigate. Something like nosepass makes no sense! Is there a reason his nose has to be a magnet? Does it eat metal? If it does, bad example, but I think you understand what I'm getting at. More so now than ever, pokemon seem to get random attachments on them simply for the purpose of explaining their movesets rather than thinking about why an animal would need such an evolution to survive. And really, considering this game is all about evolution to improve, you would think they'd obey the fundamentals of getting rid of extrenious parts to make their function improve rather than do the exact opposite by adding random thinga-majiggers to every evolution that do absolutely nothing!

In any case, I think the design team certainly have their work cut out for them.

P.S. Anyone who's confused about the water started for 5th Gen: it's an otter! That's it. No mystery hybrid animal. It's just an otter with a stubbed tail. Mystery solved.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
HellsingerAngel said:
What a fantastic post. Not only did you spare me trying to justify the 'realism' idea, which I meant exactly how you interpreted it, to the guy but also your proposed rule is excellent.

As for me not knowing that it was an otter and that the grass starter is a grass snake:

I wrote this the instant the new starters were released, without any outside influence. I didn't know the grass thing turned into more of a snake-like Pokemon in the later evolutions (if they happen to be legit) and about the otter...well I guess there's some resemblance. I don't even know what I called it because I wrote this such a long time ago. It's an otter, I agree.

Anyway, great job on this post.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
In Norse Mythology there was a gold boar, that had something to do with fire, I think. So yeah just think about that one. Also you're overthinking it, but I do agree with the Pokemon should look like its element to many times have I'v gotten confused over what does what and how.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
Man I feel old. I grew up on Pokemon BLU, and although I played Gold and Ruby, I never got into them as much.

Good job, man, making a high school student feel old.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
mance200 said:
About Pokabu's elemental connection..
Fire and pig NOT connected? Bacon, Ham, Roast, etc. This is a semi-food themed generation, Victini looks like a Japanese fruit-snack who's name I can't remember, Reshiram kinda looks like steamed white shrimp in my opinion, Pokabu as I said is like bacon, Rankurusu's like gelatin, you see what I mean?
So they're basically using dishes as inspiration.

That doesn't really make it any better in my book.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Read this [http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species:_Turtwig,_Grotle_and_Torterra] and the rest of the articles from this guy. It explains a lot of the pokemon that you people seem to think suck. Also, If you've looked at the evolutionary line of the snake starter, you'd realize that it's based off of the evolution of snakes, and isn't some random shit.

To answer the rest of your argument(I may have already posted here, but whatever), it's nostailgia. I'd go into detail on how I think nostailgia works, but I'm not sure it's correct. Yes, some of the new ones suck(Licky Licky, Tangrowth...) but as people already said there have always been shit pokemon.

As for the original starters: O boy, a dragon. How original. And it may sound weird coming from me(a furry), but why in the FUCK do Ivysaur and Venusaur have cat ears? Blastoise, Haunter, and Gengar too.

I consider the first generation to be the most unoriginal out of all of them. Seriously, how many pokemon evolutions don't change at all? Look at Poliwhirl and Poliwrath. Or the Pidgey line. Although I can't insult the first generation too much considering it happened in later generations as well, but that just makes me even more confused as to why you think the first generation was different than the rest.

Also important is that your mileage may vary. Even though I'm a furry, I still don't like Lucario(probably because it's wearing a shirt, which I don't understand). But enough people love it that I realize that it's just my opinion that it sucks.

And now that I'm done with that, I think I should add that I love Victini's design. It's probably going to be my favorite legendary of gen. 5. And not just because of its design...

Row Row, Fight the Powah!
[sub]Once you see it, you can't unsee it.[/sub]

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Actually no, I don't have a problem with them, maybe a few of the pokemon shown but is it really that big a deal?

My current generations are the second and fourth, why? Well, the pokemon are more interesting for one thing, another is that the gameplay was significantly changed around those parts.

You logic that "The animal needs to match with its type" really makes sense in only water, bug, and flying. Everything else, not really.

There are no such things as ghosts, but we have them as pokemon, why? To mix things up. (Also type balance)
We also have steel which is man made, but once again we have it for type balance, we even have a specific dragon type....

We also have some thing strange here, why the fuck is executor a psychic type when its a palm tree?

Logic makes no sense there bro.

Also, please don't place pokemon as a "Childrens game" maybe the marketing department is around there, but if you glanced at the online you could totally see how difficult it would be for a child to even know this shit.

Sorry dude, but your letting nostalgia get in the way here. I noticed you only graded original pokemon and the fifth gen pokemon. If you were smart, you'd be grading all of the generations of starters. The only ones who currently look over designed are the 5th gen. But even then, they aren't half bad, and your not going to see them for very long (You will evolve them by the first gym leader, you and I both know that)

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Shycte said:
There hasn't been a good Pokémon design sense 2nd Gen.
Empoleon
Sceptile
Darkrai
Weavile
and about 100 more are disagreeing with you. Along with me.
Personlly, I think that they all look stupid. They are just over the top, like they where forced to make them look really extreme just to make them look diffrent from the ones they already created.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
Wow you've pretty much typed out my entire arguement on why I dislike the looks of the next generation pokemon. You my friend are a man among nerds.

Though I still like the green lizard thingy, it's smile looks so sly.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Every Generation has had its hits and misses. We shouldn't be so harsh on Gen 5 when we've only seen about 15-20 of the designs. Some of them I actually really like.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
havent had a look at the new ones (dont intend to either, no real goodies since gold/silver)
my impression of most starters is the designers seem to make the last evolution first to be the strongest, then the beginner and finally the "middle child", which seems to be the result of a "holy sh**, we need to get this out by friday, quickly make something, nobody will notice and i hear the Chinese shop across the street is nice, lets eat there for lunch".

Surreysmith

Aug 27, 2008
I agree with you completely, but maybe just becoming old men who complain that things were better in my day.
The newer generations aren't all bad (just mostly)and besides after a few hours of play you could just dump your starter pokemon and find so of the original 151 to train.