The Police New Weapon: EMP

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
tmujir955 said:
Won't work.

The car will lose control and potentially kill the driver and others.
it will lose power, the driver will still be able to steer

Shoes

Sep 19, 2009
Cops abuse the tazer, tazering old women.
I can see EMP misuse and abuse aswell.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Deshara said:
Oh no, the car is gunna hit people once it's turned off! That's worse than the car FLYING DOWN THE ROADS IN A HIGHSPEED CHASE[/satire]
Wilbot666 said:
Looks dangerous to me. Even if you kill a vehicle's electronics it won't arrest it's momentum.
And if it did hit a motor cycle... well does the term badly-guided missile give you a nice splattery mental image?
It doesnt slam on the breaks, it cuts the power

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Okay, great. Now here's a question: What if the crook is using a car that doesn't have a microprocessor? You know, one of those older cars that use mechanical fuel-injection systems and non-computer-controlled drive-systems, where the only electrical parts are the battery, startup-engine and drive-lights? That could, in theory, drive onwards for hundreds of miles without any of these as long as the engine itself (you know, that huge chunk of metal that works by chemistry and good old Newton) is kept running?

In that case it'll be nothing more than a fancy toy taking up payload weight on a chopper or a car. And as said before me, what happens when the crooks get their hands on this? Nice going dude, you just made sure every well-prepared crook can outrun any police car. Because they rarely are of the older models and are generally speaking more vulnerable to this kind of tech.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Shoes said:
but for the few times that has happened the tazer has done way more good than harm.

I mean, they could just go back to shooting them in the arm or the leg but that has a higher probability of killing someone (nicking arteries/massive tissue damage/fragmented bones)

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
JWAN said:
Shoes said:
but for the few times that has happened the tazer has done way more good than harm.

I mean, they could just go back to shooting them in the arm or the leg but that has a higher probability of killing someone (nicking arteries/massive tissue damage/fragmented bones)
I agree with you, but I think Shoes' point was that imagine if there were no tasers. Would they be shooting these old women? Or would they be talking and coercing instead of taking the route of physical harm? In these cases, tasers cause more harm than good, but overall these situations are a minority.

It's just that when the negative aspects of using force become small enough, that force is used for self-protection even when it's not strictly speaking necessary or even relevant.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
JWAN said:
It doesnt slam on the breaks, it cuts the power
Even so, many systems in vehicles today (such as say power-steering for instance) don't work so well when the power flow to them is cut off!

I'm sure you can see how this could be a problem...

Soushi

Jun 24, 2009
TimeLord said:
Wooo now we just need floating ships and we are ready to fight the machines
Just grab that big helicopter ship from Avatar and we're all set.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Sev said:
Dumbest, idea, ever. Fine, let's give em the EMP guns. And now let's wait for the bad guys to get their hands on it. Let's just sit and see what happens.
Under that logic, shouldn't we stop inventing stuff and go back to good ol' safe sticks and stones?

I was just worried if it could accidentally take out a whole row of traffic, and have everyone suddenly coasting along without the ability to avoid the traffic behind. Is this device particularly accurate? I'm having trouble with the video.

Soushi

Jun 24, 2009
one question: what if the person who is shot at has a pacemaker? I would think that that would be.... bad... very very bad...

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
That sounds fucking A! Especially for Police over in my country who mostly dont carry guns. In theory at least...

But it wont work on older cars, and once the microprocesser is disabled I'm guessing the car is pretty much out of control?

That's probably a bad thing.

Just make sure the bad guys dont get hold of them.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
AngloDoom said:
Sev said:
Dumbest, idea, ever. Fine, let's give em the EMP guns. And now let's wait for the bad guys to get their hands on it. Let's just sit and see what happens.
Under that logic, shouldn't we stop inventing stuff and go back to good ol' safe sticks and stones?

I was just worried if it could accidentally take out a whole row of traffic, and have everyone suddenly coasting along without the ability to avoid the traffic behind. Is this device particularly accurate? I'm having trouble with the video.
An EMP could cause a lot more damage than a gun or even a grenade ever could.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
So...how many health and safty regulations and papers will have to be filled out to use this one.

Hu?

What was that.

20 people dead because of a spun out car on the highway.

If i were part of the police i'd quit now, before your blamed for a crash.

CroMagnon

Dec 7, 2009
Lol. Just atach em to your car, turn em on and drive around. No one will be able to stop you! Yay! :D

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Sev said:
AngloDoom said:
Sev said:

And a missile can cause even more. I don't understand your point.

Are you suggesting we should remove everything scary in the world in-case bad people get it?
I'm sorry, I honestly don't get it.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
AngloDoom said:
Sev said:
AngloDoom said:
Sev said:

And a missile can cause even more. I don't understand your point.

Are you suggesting we should remove everything scary in the world in-case bad people get it?
I'm sorry, I honestly don't get it.
Wait, what? I'm just saying that a gun shooting an EMP could cause far more damage than a POLICE ISSUE GUN or whatever could do. Hell, even a grenade would have less an impact than an EMP gun on full settings. And if the cops are handed these for something as simple as car chases, I bet it's going to be easy to steal. Thus, giving crooks a very powerful weapon. Plus, I think that an EMP would make it a lot easier to rob places.