The Police New Weapon: EMP

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
An EMP would knock out my dads pacemaker and possibly kill him. If the police develop this it will be a waste, too many health and safety issues.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
AngloDoom said:
Also, can an EMP kill another EMP-device? Woah...mindfuck.
Not mindfuck. Old-school western-like showdown! Who shoots first, wins.

As for practical EMP weapons - well well well. Don't think it'll have large effect on warfare (you can shield against it), but that could prove pretty useful in wrecking up civilian stuff in war (as a distraction) or when said stuff is in the hands of criminals. Of course there will be problems and limitations, but it still seems pretty cool.

Now just give me my R.Y.N.O.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I'm a bit more optimistic about the weapon. If it can be shrunk down to size i see it as being pretty useful. People have pointed out a few flaws to using this weapon, the most amusing one being that what if a victim in the car or the criminal themselves has a pacemaker? One of the more valid critisims being that criminals would just use older cars.

True, but as time goes on, non-electronic cars would become increasingly hard to find, and those old cars from the 1980's will become increasingly unrelable, to unreliable to make an effective get away car.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Sev said:
Dumbest, idea, ever. Fine, let's give em the EMP guns. And now let's wait for the bad guys to get their hands on it. Let's just sit and see what happens.
the horror!

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
Nickolai77 said:
I'm a bit more optimistic about the weapon. If it can be shrunk down to size i see it as being pretty useful. People have pointed out a few flaws to using this weapon, the most amusing one being that what if a victim in the car or the criminal themselves has a pacemaker? One of the more valid critisims being that criminals would just use older cars.

True, but as time goes on, non-electronic cars would become increasingly hard to find, and those old cars from the 1980's will become increasingly unrelable, to unreliable to make an effective get away car.
Since I was the one that made the 80s car comment:

Whilst the reliability can degrade, if there's a market for non-computerised cars then the car-makers will probably respond and produce newer, mechanical types. Either that or you can fix anything wrong with the older cars via tune-ups, engine replacements and chassis repairs; which I can easily see hard-time crooks investing in if this sort of technology becomes common place.

Also with the amount of accidents and car write-offs that happen nowadays there will always be chassis that are perfectly good that can be grabbed from any scrap-yard at a small cost, and then have new engines put in them, essentially giving limitless resources to crooks and anyone hell-bent on avoiding the EMP devices.

The other trouble I have just thought of is that, even if the EMP doesn't cause the car to crash on its own (as the driver can still steer reliably, power-steering excepted), there would be the problem of a car dramatically slowing down without any brake-lights causing any car behind it to crash into them.

The only way to avoid that is to target static cars, or where the road has been totally cleared - situations that are (at least in the UK) incredibly rare for the police to actually pull off. And if a road is that empty they can just box the car in.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
This is a great idea. Aside from the aforementioned pacemaker issue, I'm sure this will work brilliantly.

zhoominator

Jan 30, 2010
One of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Attached to a helicopter I suppose it could work but in a "gun" that could shoot up to 200 metres, I think that could cause quite a lot of damage and in residential and traffic heavy areas it could be a bloody nightmare.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Superbeast said:
Nickolai77 said:

Since I was the one that made the 80s car comment:

Whilst the reliability can degrade, if there's a market for non-computerised cars then the car-makers will probably respond and produce newer, mechanical types. Either that or you can fix anything wrong with the older cars via tune-ups, engine replacements and chassis repairs; which I can easily see hard-time crooks investing in if this sort of technology becomes common place.

Also with the amount of accidents and car write-offs that happen nowadays there will always be chassis that are perfectly good that can be grabbed from any scrap-yard at a small cost, and then have new engines put in them, essentially giving limitless resources to crooks and anyone hell-bent on avoiding the EMP devices.

The other trouble I have just thought of is that, even if the EMP doesn't cause the car to crash on its own (as the driver can still steer reliably, power-steering excepted), there would be the problem of a car dramatically slowing down without any brake-lights causing any car behind it to crash into them.

The only way to avoid that is to target static cars, or where the road has been totally cleared - situations that are (at least in the UK) incredibly rare for the police to actually pull off. And if a road is that empty they can just box the car in.
Alright, well i will agree that organised criminals hell bent on avoiding the police EMP devices could maintain and or modify cars so to avoid the EMP devices. However, in how many cases would that happen? I would say that a the majority of police chases occur when the criminal had no intention of getting caught in a police chase in the first place (let's say someone tries getting home drunk in their car, only to have the police wanting to pull them over due to suspiciously poor driving) or even say a bunch of chav's decided to nick some rich guy's Merc, that won't be EMP proof. The organised criminal gangs could get round it, however the disorganised majority of criminals won't.

The problem of stopping the car once its disabled is more problematic, however i don't think that alone will render the EMP technology useless.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Wilbot666 said:
JWAN said:
It doesnt slam on the breaks, it cuts the power
Even so, many systems in vehicles today (such as say power-steering for instance) don't work so well when the power flow to them is cut off!

I'm sure you can see how this could be a problem...
So you don't have power steering? Big fucking woop, you just have to turn the wheel more. You know, like how people do in cars without power steering?

Drundy

Dec 9, 2009
Imagine this you are in bed and you are tired.You dont want to get up and turn off your lights.You pull out your shockwave EMP device and boom you are ready to sleep