The possible American ban on selling violent games to minors?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
its bunk, it wont pass, they have been trying to get something like that passed for awhile and each time it passes it gets struck down since we have this thing called the constitution that prevents laws like that. There is no law that says a minor cant get into an r rated movie, thoes are just company policies that have no actual legal backing

ludist

Jul 15, 2009
Hey guys. Didn't anyone notice this was posted in 2005?

Four years ago? You know, when people still cared about GTA 3?

The California law was overturned. The Electronic Software Assocation goes around swatting the shit out of these laws. No law like this has survived the Circuits or gone to the Supreme Court.

I happen to be writing my senior thesis on freedom of expression. Dudes like Barry Silver get owned in the courts.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
I wonder if it will be illegal for minors to play "violent" games that their parents already got for them...

But this is just utter crap. Let the parents decide what their kids should and shouldn't play.

If this does get passed though...

Revolution! Revolution! Revolution!

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
It will never stand up in court. Ignore all attempts to limit video game sales by and and all government groups because they always lose.

Generator

May 8, 2009
I thought this already took effect (at least where I live). Really, I'm more surprised that the parents are suing a game company for making a game not meant to be sold to minors. The idea that they'll make money because of their horrendous parenting skills is laughable.

Ninja Tank

May 19, 2009
Amnestic said:
Two Tennesee kids shot rifles at cars and killed a man, citing GTA as their reason.

How, precisely, did these kids acquire GTA? Either someone a retalier screwed up or their parents did.

Fun story: GAME refused to sell me Mirror's Edge (16+ game) because I didn't have ID on me, despite the fact I was 18 at the time. Mildly annoying, but goes to show that retailers aren't all soulless vendors who sell to anyone.

Edit: Soleless? Vendors without the bottom of their shoes? Methinks Amnestic has been awake too long.
wow you get carded i have walked into a store and bought A rated games when I'm under 18.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
I say go with the ban. By the time kids are old enough to have figured out a way around it (pirating or whatever) then they will be mature enough to play them.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Cant buy alcohol for minors either.. but people do it anyway.

Oh well. YAI GOVURNMANT!!

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Stupid, stupid, and stupid. I'm 19, I play M rated games, and I let my slightly younger but still sensible little brother play them too. I'm responsible enough to not let the tiny pre-teen brother play. He doesn't even get to watch. I shouldn't be arrested for such a thing, and my brother can tell the difference between reality and fiction so he won't go shooting up the school or anything.

How about this. Some idiotic somebody goes to your house for whatever reason and finds an M rated game that you bought for yourself and you happen to have a kid. The kid never played the game, only you have. However, this super law abiding citizen will report you for buying this game for the kid and you'll be hauled off to jail. Nice, isn't it?

Politicians should stay out of our business and let the ratings system take care of things. Also, it's not as if movies and tv doesn't show us violence either. People just like to blame video games because it makes stupid parents feel better because they have something to blame (when they should be blaming themselves for not teaching the kid common sense.) Also for not realizing that the kid bought and snuck a weapon into the house somehow.

Edit: No, how about this genius idea. Just advertise what they play.com (no spaces) to every parent that actually gives a damn about what their kids play (and those who are too stupid to care that their kids are playing M rated games). It's basically "should-my-kid-be-playing-this-or-not for morons." Problem solved.

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
No! I need my sex, violence, and cursing to function properly!

Just thinking about that makes my breathing labored.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Ahh the token "the game made me do it""

Who's seen that South Park episode about smoking?

Lmao, similarities anyone?

-Joe

BrEnNo1023

Mar 18, 2009
Amnestic said:
Two Tennesee kids shot rifles at cars and killed a man, citing GTA as their reason.

How, precisely, did these kids acquire GTA? Either someone a retalier screwed up or their parents did.

Fun story: GAME refused to sell me Mirror's Edge (16+ game) because I didn't have ID on me, despite the fact I was 18 at the time. Mildly annoying, but goes to show that retailers aren't all soulless vendors who sell to anyone.

Edit: Soleless? Vendors without the bottom of their shoes? Methinks Amnestic has been awake too long.
Okay, let's see here...THOUSANDS of crimes are committed each year due to alcohol abuse (a perfectly legal taxed substance) BUT...BUT when a couple of children blame a video game because they're too scared to own up to the crime they committed, EVERYBODY is in uproar and all of a sudden the game is a disgusting and horrible and needlessly violent product.

THOUSANDS of crimes and accidents and deaths happen involving cars and motorcycles and trucks, BUT a school shooting that is BLAMED on A VIDEO GAME causes people like Jack Thompson to try to start revolutions.

How come every time somebody drives home drunk and dies in a car-crash, nobody ever tries to BAN ALCOHOL AND CARS???

What's wrong with this picture?

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Crimsane said:
I'd like to see more people realizing this dates back to April 8, 2005.
Haha, genius. Well, if they've been trying this long to make it work, then we can be sure it won't work for a good while longer.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Wait, isn't there already a ban on selling violent games to minors? ESRB ratings, anyone?

Parents who buy their kids M-rated games nowadays are (legally-speaking) not buying FOR the kids, they're buying themselves a game, which they will then give to the kid. That's not illegal unless possession, rather than purchase, is the issue being considered at present.

But I can buy any game I want, so whatever.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
this won't work someone will buy it for them regardless of any laws , maybe the gov should spend your money wisely on something important like making peace with the enemies of the us , they have ratings on the box , hey get some glasses ... problem solved