"The Post Count causes ELITISM and should be done away with! " Do you agree?

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
You're right, but in the opposite way. You know the most impressive poster I've seen? There was a guy who joined back in 2006 or something with a post count of 43 or whatever. Now THAT was impressive. A large post count isn't as impressive so I don't think that causes elitism.

Joined Date causes elitism. And Neo causes elitism. And anything pertaining to Extra Credits causes elitism (or should, just try to earn THOSE badges, ha!).

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Oh post count under 500? nothing see here people carry on. the spiderman derails will be here shortly

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Life must be really shitty when you can get genuinely upset about something as insignificant as a post counter, and this is on a site where people lose their shit when Dante's hair colour changes.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I like seeing my post counter. I celebrate every hundred/thousand or so by attaching an "1000 posts yay" to the corresponding post. Don't care that much about it though. Doesn't make me feel special.

Phantom Kat

Sep 26, 2012
I haven't noticed any elitism, but then again, it's not like I pay much attention anyway. I much prefer to lurk.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Rednog said:
Meh, the only thing that really bothers me about post count is that user group posts go towards that. I remember way back when it was just forum posts and it was interesting to see people in the 10k posts because that actually took some effort.
I honestly don't care about anyone's post count number anymore, and anyone who thinks they're elite because they have a huge post count is honestly a moron. Just look around at various user groups, most are just used as glorified chat messengers that pad out the post count.
I didn't know user group posts counted. Huh. I guess it's because I've posted in a user group like...three times total.

OT: I don't care. Take or or don't, I doubt it will change anything. I just have a hard time believing anyone really feels special because their post count is huge. If anything, I look at all mine and thing, "I could have really been doing something better with this time..."

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
You're foolish to think anyone believes that post count refers to quality-of-posts. It does show activity within the website.

Keep it!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
It doesn't bother me that much, but I don't care about it, really.
Except maybe if someone makes a very flamebaitey post, and they have very low post count, I can think that they are more probably random trolls.

I think the biggest effect the count has is that it encourages posting, because even non-gamers would want to 'collect posts' if you give them a counter, and we as gamers are probably even more suspectible for that.

So, on the other hand, it encourages discussion.
But on the other hand, it can encourage spamming topics with posts that have nothing substancial in them.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
......really?...I mean do I seem elitist to you?

I dont see why anyone would get their undies in a twist over post count..I mean honestly

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
The only people I can see that would be bothered by post counts, are new people that have some kind of huge egos and can't stand that there are people above them, people with "shiny badges" because of their post counts and other activities.

I would say too bad and live with it, because that is life. It is how communities work. The people that have been in the community and participated the most are the people that get the perks and are seen as "elders" or people with the experience and knowledge.

If you do the work, live the life, and be kind, then you will be on your way to getting what the others have.

I for one will admit that I am really just striving for the Neo badge. Slow and steady is winning the race so far for me.

Post counts stay.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Tony said:
How exactly does elitism with post count work?

"Oh yea! I have a higher post count than you! I waste more time posting about rape threads, sexism threads, mass effect 3, and bacon more than you do! Heehee n00b!"
All those n00bs should go to the click the red button, go to the basement and get banned. Ughh I can't stand People with a less post count then me!

Mar 30, 2010
I like the post count. Usually it's a harmless thing that has no bearing on anything, but it can be a useful indicator of gob-shites. Someone who has been here 3 years and has made 200 posts? Fine. Someone who has been here 1 year and made 800 posts? Fine. Someone who has been here 2 years and made 3000 posts? Fine. Someone who has been here 1 month and has made 5000 posts? Gob-shite.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
I had an argument with Uber-posters Fappy and Daystar Clarion the other day. In fact that post the OP mentioned about "small complaints" was made as an insult towards me.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.390540-The-roast-of-Daystar-Clarion?page=3#15699975

The reason I find it so annoying is because people who are posting 20 times everyday on a dozen different threads for several years straight aren't adding a whole lot to the community except for pages and pages of superfluous information.

In my time as an Escapist I've commented on ~500 topic/ideas. When someone else has commented on tens of thousands more topics/ideas in the same span of time I have to wonder if a lot of these posts are well rounded, thoughtful discussion or if it's self serving ego stroking.

I'm not saying these members don't add to the community, but when 90% of the threads are composed of the content generated by 10% of the user base it hurts the community as a whole.

I don't think we should remove post count, I think posters whose Average Posts Per Day are way out of line with the average Escapist's conduct should exercise some self-restraint.

EDIT: What do you suppose are the chances that both Fappy AND Daystar would be participating in this thread?! Answer: About 99%
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Does anybody even bother looking at each others' post counts? Okay, sure we might glance over them on occasion, but it's not like I check the post count of each member who replies to a thread. It mostly flies under the radar more most of us I'd imagine.

I'm also not sure I see how post counts signify anything necessarily positive about you. It's the quality of your posts, not the quantity that matters. I doubt anyone here would dispute that. If you have lots of posts and they're all pants on head retarded then it just means you've subjected us to even more stupid over the years.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I see no reason to do anything about the issue. My opinions on fellow people is not based on post count. It's all on post content. Believe me, 35,000 posts doesn't automatically mean you're intelligent. It's what's inside that matters.