The Problem of Slavery in the Bible

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Right but so much more war, death and misery is traced and attributed to the Bible than I dunno Sonic the Hedgehog.
The wars, death, and misery perpetuated by blind adherence to extreme economic values are rapidly eclipsing that caused by any religion.

Reactions: Buyetyen

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ephesians doesnt have anything to do with Jesus
Yeah like I said, I believe it's Ephesians, but I can't seem to find it. I know I've heard it quoted many times, but I can't find a citation for the time jesus said it.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Yeah like I said, I believe it's Ephesians, but I can't seem to find it. I know I've heard it quoted many times, but I can't find a citation for the time jesus said it.
Jesus doesn't say anything in Ephesians. Ephesians was a sermon by Paul to the Ephesian people. Jesus only "says" anything in the Gospels (the first 4 books of the New Testament), which are accounts of his life written by various people several decades after the fact.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
This

Jesus doesn't say anything in Ephesians. Ephesians was a sermon by Paul to the Ephesian people. Jesus only "says" anything in the Gospels (the first 4 books of the New Testament), which are accounts of his life written by various people several decades after the fact.
Everything after the gospels is people pretending what Jesus said to their own political ends. Paul endless criticised Christians for not believing in his version of Christianity.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
That’s also not really Paul’s point, his entire idea of how Christianity ought to be practiced is to not be overly disruptive so people don’t get killed, unless laws are set to specifically make you act immorally. I wouldn’t call him right or even a good guy, but viewing him as pro-slavery is a bit inaccurate.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
"Societal good" are your words, not mine.
Ok. So you're opinion is that slavery was a "pretty alright" system then? As opposed to neutral, or bad?
But no, just for the Israelites.
Then lets take the israeli slaves out of it, for a moment. What's your opinion on their system of slavery, for those who did not choose to be slaves?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
So you're opinion is that slavery was a "pretty alright" system then? As opposed to neutral, or bad?
Yes.

Then lets take the israeli slaves out of it, for a moment. What's your opinion on their system of slavery, for those who did not choose to be slaves?
Sucks for them

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Would you say its immoral?
No.
If God decrees that one's punishment is to be a slave, then it's just, because God decreed it. That how God works. He defines what is moral and immoral.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That’s also not really Paul’s point, his entire idea of how Christianity ought to be practiced is to not be overly disruptive so people don’t get killed, unless laws are set to specifically make you act immorally. I wouldn’t call him right or even a good guy, but viewing him as pro-slavery is a bit inaccurate.
I wasn't talking about paul at all. I was talking about jesus and got the bible verse wrong.

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
Probably gonna regret this, but...

If God decrees that one's punishment is to be a slave, then it's just, because God decreed it. That how God works. He defines what is moral and immoral.
Just gotta say, shit like this is one of the many reasons I'm a full on anti-theist who detests organized religion.

Like, even leaving aside how religion is both un-provable AND is run by fallible humans who often have their own agendas who use religion as a social control tool or as a way to con money out of people...

If, for the sake of argument, god was real and was like:
"If you're a sexual orientation that harms no one, but I don't like it, you get tortured for all eternity. If you happen to be kidnapped and enslaved, it's just and good purely because I say so. AND if you happen to not believe in me for whatever reason (up to and including never having heard of me), I will also let you be tortured for eternity even if you were nonetheless a good person who tried their best to make life better for everyone"...

Then I'm sorry, that god is a totalitarian narcissistic fuckin' monster who does not deserve worship, and should not be treated as the supreme moral authority.

EDIT: I DO want to state that if you're religious, that's fine. You do what brings you peace. I just personally have serious SERIOUS issues with it on many levels, and this is one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCalavera

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Probably gonna regret this, but...

Just gotta say, shit like this is one of the many reasons I'm a full on anti-theist who detests organized religion.

Like, even leaving aside how religion is both un-provable AND is run by fallible humans who often have their own agendas who use religion as a social control tool or as a way to con money out of people...

If, for the sake of argument, god was real and was like:
"If you're a sexual orientation that harms no one, but I don't like it, you get tortured for all eternity. If you happen to be kidnapped and enslaved, it's just and good purely because I say so. AND if you happen to not believe in me for whatever reason (up to and including never having heard of me), I will also let you be tortured for eternity even if you were nonetheless a good person who tried their best to make life better for everyone"...

Then I'm sorry, that god is a totalitarian narcissistic fuckin' monster who does not deserve worship, and should not be treated as the supreme moral authority.

EDIT: I DO want to state that if you're religious, that's fine. You do what brings you peace. I just personally have serious SERIOUS issues with it on many levels, and this is one of them.
For the most part, I agree. I don't believe in Hell, nor do I think that a loving God would ever send someone there.

On the subject of slavery, though, who said anything about kidnapping?

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
No.
So you're against the age of consent, but pro slavery? I understand. Thank you.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
So you're against the age of consent, but pro slavery? I understand. Thank you.
No, you don't understand, because I am neither of those things.

Why would you create a topic about slavery in the bible if you aren't even interested in nuanced discussion on the subject? Was this topic just bait so that you can label people who don't share your beliefs?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
No, you don't understand, because I am neither of those things.

Why would you create a topic about slavery in the bible if you aren't even interested in nuanced discussion on the subject? Was this topic just bait so that you can label people who don't share your beliefs?
Declaring literal deus ex machina is neither nuanced nor discussion.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Declaring literal deus ex machina is neither nuanced nor discussion.
If you want to avoid working under certain assumptions like "God defines morality", all you have to do is state your premises. When the premises are undefined, anyone is free to import their own.

Otherwise, what am I supposed to do? Read your mind and work under your unstated assumptions?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
If you want to avoid working under certain assumptions like "God defines morality", all you have to do is state your premises. When the premises are undefined, anyone is free to import their own.

Otherwise, what am I supposed to do? Read your mind and work under your unstated assumptions?
Hey, tell me, is it possible to enslave somebody in self-defense? Asking for a friend.