The protagonists for GTA 6 are a Latina woman and a Redneck... interesting

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
think RDR 2 had great female characters, if your talking about GTA well yeah everyone is depicted as a PoS it’s an over-exaggeration satire of America.
I wasn't talking about either games female characters specifically. I was talking about Rockstar's actual attitude from those at the top, who disrespected and abused women (many of them sexually or with sexual harassment), or only saw them as sex objects and play things. Or the stupid fear, that male gamers wouldn't by their game, with a female on the cover, or have her as the lead. Saints Row and Mass Effect proved how full of crap that argument was coming from them in different publishers at that time.

If you are criticizing Rocksgar’s gameplay staples then that’s fine, I guess
Yes, and more than fine. It's to be expected when you been gaming for a long time and notice lack of qualities on things that should have been done correctly and have been done better on a previous generations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

InsaneDragon

Apr 17, 2023
Country
America
I wasn't talking about either games female characters specifically. I was talking about Rockstar's actual attitude from those at the top, who disrespected and abused women (many of them sexually or with sexual harassment), or only saw them as sex objects and play things. Or the stupid fear, that male gamers wouldn't by their game, with a female on the cover, or have her as the lead. Saints Row and Mass Effect proved how full of crap that argument was coming from them in different publishers at that time.

Yes, and more than fine. It's to be expected when you been gaming for a long time and notice lack of qualities on things that should have been done correctly and have been done better on a previous generations.
Max Payne 3 is considered by many to be one of the greatest third person shooters of all time. Rockstar is perfectly capable of engaging gameplay I just think in terms of their flagship titles like GTA focused on mass appeal, we know the game will sell a lot and people enjoy it then they have no incentive to change it up, but in theory i agree with you it would be nice for Rockstar to go back to doing other stuff like they used too. As far as their toxic culture, I think it’s a great thing that Rockstar is deciding to change their culture for the better, especially on crunch .that’s all I got to say on that

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Max Payne 3 is considered by many to be one of the greatest third person shooters of all time.
I like the game, but I wouldn't consider it the greatest third person shooter of all time. I wouldn't even consider it the greatest seventh gen third person shooter. That would be Vanquish.

i agree with you it would be nice for Rockstar to go back to doing other stuff like they used too.
Which is why I have no interest in their future titles, and have better alternatives to look at.

As far as their toxic culture, I think it’s a great thing that Rockstar is deciding to change their culture for the better, especially on crunch .that’s all I got to say on that
Thank you.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Ah yes RDR2 where you had to follow a fucking tutorial on youtube to make a halfway decent-looking female character that still didn't have long hair. Western games and character customization are like acid, and water.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ah yes RDR2 where you had to follow a fucking tutorial on youtube to make a halfway decent-looking female character that still didn't have long hair. Western games and character customization are like acid, and water.
I didn't even know that was a thing.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I feel like Rockstar doesn’t approach their games and game development like that. Like I don’t think they go “hey we’re going to have a Hispanic, an Asian america etc” I feel like they do the characters they want with a story in mind . They would easily do 3 white guys if the story demands it.... GTA is probably gaming’s biggest brand at the moment I don’t think Rockstar would be afraid of doing anything particular... the game is guaranteed to sell. I mean I have always said I love to see diverse characters in gaming but I also think Rockstar has a track record and know what they are doing. We all thought Arthur was going to be a generic white male and he turned out to be one of the greatest protagonists in gaming
Dan Houser’s writing and Roger Clark’s performance were what made Arthur shine. I think if either of those didn’t follow through he would’ve fallen flat as a protagonist. Everything was so nuanced and thorough that over the course of dozens of hours you really felt like you were living all the good and bad, big and small moments with him.

Last edited:

InsaneDragon

Apr 17, 2023
Country
America
Dan Houser’s writing and Roger Clark’s performance were what made Arthur shine. I think if either of those didn’t follow through he would’ve fallen flat as a protagonist. Everything was so nuanced and thorough that over the course of dozens hours you really felt like you were living all the good and bad, big and small moments with him.
I do like how Rockstar takes random actors and gives them a huge opportunity to shine, instead of using established guys like Nolan North, Troy Baker....no offense to them

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker