The 'Provocative Clothing' Rape Defense

Teshi

May 8, 2010
There have been several studies that suggest that ACCESSIBILITY of the clothing may be a factor in many cases of stranger rape, but the provocativeness of the clothing is not. So basically comfy sweats could potentially someone more of a target than painted-on clothes. IMO the insistence that a woman makes herself a more likely target by wearing sexy clothes generally comes from blue-balled "nice guys" who despite being extremely unpleasant aren't actual predators and thus don't understand the mindset.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I've honestly never heard of this being used (successfully, that is) for defending a rapist.

Is this really something worth discussing? It's stupid as hell, only a moron would ever attempt to defend something as terrible as rape with something as stupid as "she was wearing provocative clothing".

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
People telling potential rape victims not to dress provocately, are not defending the latter, they are trying to defend the former of the risk of being eyed by criminals. No matter what, rape is a crime and those who react aggressively to provocative clothing are criminals: you should still look after yourself if you are not suicidal.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
It's rarely that simple, cases where the woman was attacked by a stranger in the street don't happen half as much as women being forced upon by someone she knows(/he knows, men get raped too)

My friend messaged me, crying claiming her ex-boyfriend had forced her into having sex with him by continuing to abusively coerce her (verbally) until she gave in, and he only let her stop when she started crying. His version of the story supported this, but she later retracted her statement, saying that she had wanted it. Was she lying all along or forced to change her story because of her abusive ex? Either way she now refuses to talk to me so I guess I can't do anything about it any more.

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
Froggy Slayer said:
I don't get why people still use this as a defense for rape. Why do people try to shift the blame onto the women in a situation where the man is still entirely at fault for, you know, having such little self-control that he has to fuck a woman the second that he gets a boner. This is a defense that's still used, and yet, it's one that already assumes that the man is guilty of rape; it simply tries to shift the blame for the crime onto the victim. How do people still believe in this?
Some serial rapists will turn themselves in and confess to shorten their sentences. In some cases, these sentences can be less than a month. These sick people just let their dicks lead them through a revolving door between unwilling women in society and unwilling men in prison showers. Our justice systems allow this, and facilitate it. They are a failure. Rapists are to blame, but justice is holding the door open for them.

bluphino

Mar 29, 2011
Here you see two very different demographics arguing in circles, the 'neo-modern SCIENCE SAYS OTHERWISE, YOU SHOULD FEEL ASHAMED EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT, fuck you fuck you fuck you. If it happens it's totally the rapist's fault the woman can wear whatever whenever however' camp, and the slightly more worldly, a little parent-esque camp (I'm using the word 'parent' because the way that camp is posting, it sounds like parent aka somebody that's trying to protect instead of all 'FOR SCIENCE') that's going "dude, this is common sense, preventative measure, why not practice caution because the world is a shitty place?"

I'm just going to say that the former camp is being so...crass it's unbelievable. "Fuck you for thinking not all men can control their hormones and lusty urges." Seriously? It's really not that hard to understand what the other side is trying to say, you know. Instead of saying 'I AM RIGHT SO FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FOR EVEN DISAGREEING.'

There are a lot of different type of rapists. Not all of them are stranger rape, not all of them 'thought out and planned'. Some of them couldn't care what the woman is wearing, some...who knows? It doesn't take a lot of brain cells to understand a dude going 'now that piece of ass is sexy, wearing next to nothing, she must be looking for attention', add a few drinks, some testosterone, and let the whole situation go downhill from there.

No, I understand not all rapists work like that. But they happen. It's still rape.

And no, it's not an insult to 'men', nor is it to 'women', to believe in the above. Like a barrel of apples, every barrel has a few bad ones. It's just how the world is. Sometimes the bad apples makes life hard for the rest of the apples. Sometimes you have women that actually DO wear stupid skimpy clothes for the sole purpose of attracting male eyes and it makes the rest of the women 'look like whores' when those upstanding types wants to wear something skimpy to 'feel good about themselves' and not 'attract a buttpinch'. And let it be said that there ARE men in the world who thinks chicks who dress skimpy are just looking to get laid, so they lunge at it. Not ALL. Just some. But that alone is enough to 'taint the barrel'. C'mon. If you're not one of them you shouldn't feel insulted. That's just being logical.

I think what the hotheads don't realize what the 'parent' camp is saying is that while yes, if a rape happens it's entirely on the rapists' fault. NO BLAME CAN BE ON THE WOMAN, THE WOMAN IS INNOCENT, WHAT SHE WEARS IS HER OWN BUSINESS (really I don't think anyone disagrees with this). By the time you get to that point the rape has already happened and you're arguing 'defense', the woman would have already 'lost'. The hurt has already been committed, he victim has been physically and mentally scarred and by then any 'justice' is just "here's something to make you feel slightly better, if at all". The parent camp is all about prevention and not about 'justice after the deed'. They believe that if wearing a little more will protect his/her little girl from being a target and suffering that sort of mental trauma and violation, then it is worth it. They back it up with personal experience and 'common sense'. But the 'neo' camp is all "science says otherwise, so a woman can dress like a hooker in a hooker bar and not be a hooker and if some jon comes up and assaults her, he can be sued for sexual assault and not have a leg to stand on."

Sure, that's true. The jon would get nailed, justice would have been met. But by then the woman would've already been violated. The deed was DONE. And the victim HURT. To which, the parent of that girl would simply turn to said daughter after it's all said and then, dude locked away, and asked "why were you dressed like a hooker in the first place?"

It's really...really not hard to understand the other side instead of going up in arms and going 'FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU.'

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
I can sum up everything everyone has said in this thread in one sentence: There is no defense for rape, period.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
I don't think I have ever heard someone seriously argue this point... like ever...

Like a text book straw man for those who are just trying to give some advice to those in a rather unsafe situation. While I don't agree with them, as a rapist is going to do what a rapist does. They're motivations don't matter. However I don't think I've heard anyone actually BLAME the victim or anything that can be misconstrued as blaming.

Like I said... you can disagree with a person that clothing has a factor in making yourself a target. However no one is excusing the rapist and don't paint your opposition as such. It's just unbecoming.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Therumancer said:
CrystalShadow said:
[

And you're labouring under the assumption that most accusations made are false, and also that making such an accusation carries no penalty for the person making it, isn't at all traumatic, and in short, is easy to do.

Also, as fascinating as your statement on the US justice system may be, I don't live in the US, and given that you are making comparisons to countries whose laws I am much more familiar with than those of the US, which, despite your implications have similar issues surrounding rape, and I still don't think you have much appreciation for what even the threat of being raped is about.

Given how closely the conviction rates for rape have some rather odd correlations with the who the alleged victim was, this leads to the conclusion that many legal systems are biased towards the idea that only certain types of people get raped, and anyone else is probably lying about it somehow.

Well, anyway, I hope you never have to find out for yourself what it means to be subject to even the mildest form of abuse that could ever be called 'rape'. - Ah, but wait, you're in the US. So according to your legal system, you can't be raped, no matter what someone does to you. (Well, assuming my assumption about you being male is correct, anyway.)
Don't you just love legal technicalities?
Again, the principle of the US Justice System is INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. It doesn't matter of it's theft, rape, homicide, or anything else for that matter the entire system is based around the idea that the accusations are false and that the burden of proof falls on the accuser, with the defendant only having to raise a reasonable doubt. In the US Justice system it doesn't matter if someone's guilt is 90% likely, of even nessicarily what the Jury thinks on that grounds, but whether the defendant created a reasonable doubt.

That's not *my* standard, that's the standards of the country. A point a lot of people argueing with me seem to miss.

As far as rape goes, too late, already happened. As I've said before, when I was a little kid I was raped by an older kid. Wound up blocking it out, but I know it happened. I really dislike it when people hear me discuss certain subjects they naturally assume things like this. To be brutally honest with you this information has a lot to do with why I at one time had the ambition of going into Forensics and studied for that in school before financial problems made it so I couldn't finish. It's also why I've spent a lot of time looking into the issue of homosexuality, groups like NAMBLA, and other assorted things that come up in other posts. That said, in this case what I'm telling you isn't even contreversial, or based on some obscure piece of information, it's no less than the basis for the entire American criminal justice system. In a practical sense the system assumes the accusor is always a liar, and the defendant is innocent, before anything happens, and this applies to all cases, as a universal principle excepting matters of
national security or trials conducted under martial law or during a declared state of emergency.
OK, OK. I admit I made the same assumption you did. (It's implicit in the indirect accusation you made of me being a 'white knight'.) - I speak from experience too, unfortunately, but my experience is precisely with the stuff that could reasonably considered a 'grey area'

Also, my problem with you focusing on the US, is that similar problems (and related low conviction rates) happen in many countries, even ones with different legal principles.
I don't know how familiar you are with legal systems outside the US, but while the US and most English speaking nations derive their legal principles from English Common law (Innocent until proven guilty is one of many such inherited principles), much of mainland Europe has legal institutions derived from the Napoleonic code.

Among the seemingly counter-intuitive ideas this system embodies (compared to English principles) is, You have no right to do anything unless a law explicitly grants you such a right. (That is, rather than being allowed to do anything which there isn't a law forbidding you from doing, by default you aren't allowed to do anything unless permitted by a law. - in practice many things are permitted without specific laws, but it's the principle here, not the practicality that I'm describing)
The other notable point being that this same legal framework defines people as being guilty until proven innocent. The exact opposite of US principles. The implications of that should be quite obvious.

But why do I mention that anyway? Because even in legal systems based on these reverse principles, Rape convictions remain quite low.
The principles of the system alone don't properly account for your statement.

There's also a tangential argument I can make, in that the (admittedly largely circumstantial) evidence hints at the actual US legal system being a bit out of touch with it's principles, because there seems to be a rather excessive number of false convictions.
The numbers for such things are by their very nature highly speculative, but typical assumptions make it 0.5%, while the circumstantial evidence points at anything from 3-8%, with tendencies towards higher figures for violent or controversial crimes.

In a system operating under the principle of 'guilty until proven innocent', false convictions are a problem, but kind of innate in the system. (after all, if people are assumed guilty by default, then clearly the system takes the stance that it is better lock up someone who is innocent, just in case, than to let a guilty person go free.)

False convictions in a system based on 'innocent until proven guilty' however, point to the system failing to accomplish it's goals. If 1 in 20 people being locked up didn't actually do the crime, then it makes a bit of a mockery of the idea that people are presumed to be innocent.

Still, this is a bit circular. You're arguing based specifically on US legal ideology, while I am not. (and would not, because US ideology is unlikely to mean anything to me personally when it comes to legal matters. - I've lived in several countries and visited dozens, but I've never so much as spent 5 minutes in the US).

In any event, the problem I'm contemplating is clearly somewhat different to the one you are.

What happened to me personally wasn't done by someone particularly violent. It didn't come out of nowhere. But it basically shows that if you give an inch, some people will take a mile. And 'no' is not something certain kinds of people seem to get unless you do the equivelent of kick them in the nuts in the process. If someone does something without to you without really taking the time to check it's alright, then follows up by refusing to stop once they've started, what can you say about that?

Sometimes it's easy to see what's right and what's wrong. Many times however it is not. The law is the law, but it often has little if anything to do with reality.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Abomination said:
Rape is a terrible thing; almost all avenues need to be explored to reduce it.
How about we demonise men who walk around alone at night? And tell men not to go walking alone? After all, they might be rapists.

bluphino said:
There are a lot of different type of rapists. Not all of them are stranger rape, not all of them 'thought out and planned'. Some of them couldn't care what the woman is wearing, some...who knows? It doesn't take a lot of brain cells to understand a dude going 'now that piece of ass is sexy, wearing next to nothing, she must be looking for attention', add a few drinks, some testosterone, and let the whole situation go downhill from there.
'
And there would also be rapists who go after women who are dressed modestly, and are not 'promiscuous', out of some desire to 'show them'. Not to mention there is the obsession with virgins and purity, just look at all the nun-exploitation.

And the theme of women being raped but giving consent afterwards because they just didn't know how good sex is is quite a common theme in 'romance'-fiction.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
boots said:
Smeggs said:
I can sum up everything everyone has said in this thread in one sentence: There is no defense for rape, period.
Actually it's been more along the lines of: "There is no defense for rape, but..."

bluphino said:
Translation: "The people I agree with are being reasonable and rational and are all totally right and perfect despite not really having any basis to their claims, and the people I don't agree with are all HYSTERICAL and HOT-HEADED and UNREASONABLE. And to point out how UNREASONABLE they're being I am going to RANDOMLY capitalise WORDS."

EDIT: No, that's unfair, I'm listening. Go on, perhaps you will be the one to provide us with some evidence that shows the connection between provocative clothing and rape risk. After all, no 'parent' wouldn't give advice if they had no reason to believe that it would work at all. That would be irresponsible.
Agreed on both counts. I take it people aren't even bothering to read the responses on the first page before posting.

weker

May 27, 2009
Saying you shouldn't look good to avoid getting rape does have some worth as it probably would help, however it no way validates the rapist and all it does is weigh down freedom of expression.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
how dare us girls, wanting to look sexy and feminine! what were we thinking, believing that we could do and dress as we liked without basically forcing the rapists hands! my eyes have truly been opened..no, really!

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Any arsehole who uses the 'provocative clothes' rationale as an excuse should be made to wear nothing but provocative clothes in Prison. See how they like the attention from the other inmates.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
chiefohara said:
Any arsehole who uses the 'provocative clothes' rationale as an excuse should be made to wear nothing but provocative clothes in Prison. See how they like the attention from the other inmates.
... so clothes DO increase the chance of being raped?