The "R" Word

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Was this made for the New Yorker? It's bloody obscure enough. That one took some thought.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
but I agree...there was no "rape" and the whole thing was an over reaction
Yeah, when one of the guys behind it said she would be raped and it would define her character, there was definitely no rape there. And definitely an overreaction to call it what it was actually called at that point. What drama queens, using words and concepts handed out by people promoting the material.

DVS BSTrD said:
You really don't see how watching a girl get the shit beat out of her for five minutes might upset some people? And there may not have been rape, but don't pretend that guy's true intentions weren't ABUNDANTLY clear.
To be fair, I don't think most people were bugged by her getting the "shit beat out of her" in the trailer. After all, this does happen, especially in these "gritty" reboots and in the "rise of" sort of deals.

Most people weren't bothered by sexy nuns in Hitman so much as they were bothered by women who strip down to fetish gear for a fight scene intended to fetishise violence. Similarly, most people weren't bothered by Lara getting the short end of the stick until one of the dudes tried to give her the....Short end of the stick. it was worsened by the promotion that this would be a rape scene, up until someone actually listened to the outrage and went "woah, rape? Nah, he's giving her the heimlich! He just...Missed..." Though, ideally, it would be Nathan Drake getting the crap kicked out of him.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LazyAza said:
"Gasp she's not fully dressed?" SEXIST!
"Gasp she's being beaten up!" MISOGYNISTS!
"Potentially implied rape situation?" OMG PURE EVIL.
Mmmm...Straw-arguments. In this fictitious world, did people complain about Metroid: Other M because the main character was female?

Seriously, there are clear paths to doing this sort of thing without criticism. Well, ANYTHING will get criticism, especially on the internet. If someone gave everyone a thousand dollars, at least a few people would complain because they had to report it on their taxes or something. But a meaningful level of criticism. This world where people are afraid to try doesn't exist. The lager problem is the industry mentality that "dudebros" don't like women in their clubhouse.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Zen Toombs said:
Vault101 said:
nope...she was going through a difficult situation...male protagonits get the same amount of crpa thrown at them

and yeah his intentions were clear...but in that situation its not surprising, makes sen sense in context

plus she bit his ear off...
Hey Vault! How's it going?

Response: I'll disagree that male protaganists get the same amount, volume, and consistency of "crpa" thrown at them as Laura got in that trailer. :p[footnote]e.g., I've never seen a male character get [attempted]raped in a game, I've never seen a normal human male character get impaled by a crowbar/eaten by a beartrap.

Then again, I've never seen EITHER in a game before, so yeah.[/footnote]

I will say that I don't have a problem with it, per say, but they are walking a difficult line. And by difficult line I mean they could easily just be ramping up the drama and making it a bad game. And I will not play it if it's a bad game, regardless of the subject matter.
[small]although I'd probably need it to be a really good game to personally even want to play a game with that type of grittiness.[/small]
The PC of Fear 2 was pinned down and raped onscreen while you were still controlling him, and nobody gave two shits then.

For this reason, I can't take the people complaining about Lara's treatment seriously. Call me when she gets gangraped on screen while you have to try and struggle against it via quicktime events, because then her situation will have been worse than Beckett's...but not before.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Took me a while to get that one.

Crystal Dynamics (tomb raider near rape scene)won the "Rape" race going backwards.

If you don't know what "won going backwards means" I'll need to start off at the beggining...
When mummy and daddy love eachother alot and want a baby....

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Comando96 said:

Crystal Dynamics (tomb raider near rape scene)won the "Rape" race going backwards.

If you don't know what "won going backwards means" I'll need to start off at the beggining...
I thought the joke was that they're backpedalling so hard that they outpaced everyone else.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
but I agree...there was no "rape" and the whole thing was an over reaction
Nah ah! Trying to touch someone's leg is totally rape! You're just a misogynist.[/quote]

women can't by misogynists...DUUUUUUHHHH!!!

Ogargd

Nov 7, 2010
I saw this joke right after reading the portal speed run so I instantly thought it was a joke about how going backwards in games makes you go fast =P then I the name and I realized it was about back pedaling.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
I just thought "Reverse" was the joke.

Dammit, I tried my best to avoid this crap. I could tell from the number of similar headliners appearing at one time those weeks ago that some shitstorm was going down and I didn't feel like facepalming like stuff like this usually causes me to do.

Yet here I am... having accidentally read about it in this comment section. Dammit....

jaketaz

Oct 11, 2010
azukar said:
Context. Don't read if you don't want the joke spelled out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-29-controversial-tomb-raider-scene-is-close-physical-intimidation-not-rape

You're welcome.
Thanks I had no clue what this was about. But after reading it, I still don't in a way. I get the comic, just not why there's an issue. There's tons of screwed up violence, sexual and otherwise, in lots of games and movies, so who cares if there's one more? And who cares if some dude couldn't figure out exactly what to say? What more can they do than give the game the appropriate rating, and then monitor the purchases accordingly so that little kids aren't playing it? I dunno... I don't see what the big deal is.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Honestly the people saying "She's a GIRL and they're beating HER up! This is terrible and sexist and stuff!" are the worst kind of hypocrites.

Maybe Tomb Raider is the first game to tackle such mature subjects but if this was all happening to a male character instead most people wouldn't complain about it and in fact the game would probably be lauded for pushing the genre forward.

Still, stupid move by Crystal Dynamics for trying to deny it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Kopikatsu said:
Comando96 said:

I thought the joke was that they're backpedalling so hard that they outpaced everyone else.
That's pretty much my impression also. Basically they did something contreversial, then decided to hit the full reverse when it actually worked, rather than sticking to their guns.

That said I think the whole thing is stupid, the issue to me has never been about rape or anything else, just that it doesn't really fit the franchise, or the type of character we're supposed to be dealing with, despite the way how the character has been re-written through the franchise's history.

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
So I look at the picture, don't get the joke, come back half an hour later, look at it again, and go say out loud like I figured out the cure for cancer ''Ooooooh, they're BACKPEDALING''

Dear lord i'm slow sometimes -____-

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
evilthecat said:
Incidentally, do male protagonists have this kind of crap thrown at them?
Yes, in more or less every single game that has a health bar on its UI and many that don't.

Issac Clarke probably wishes he got some rebar through his side and had someone attempt to sexually harass him where-in he could then prove his combat dominance and will to overcome any obstacle. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALquuqokPTc]

Incidentally, had Issac actually been raped by another man I have no doubt that the internet would NOT be tripping over itself with its need to protect him like it is with Lara.

Lara is apparently a big girl and evidently handled the situation, I'm sure she'll get through this.

Crystal Dynamics on the other hand, should probably get better PR guys, because they aren't handling this well.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
azukar said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-29-controversial-tomb-raider-scene-is-close-physical-intimidation-not-rape

You're welcome.
As the saying goes, "this is why we can't have nice things".

"A word that is not in our vocabulary". Oh, shut up you spineless little nothing. Look, I realize that we live in interesting times. People get easily offended to an almost pathetic extent these days, the world is trying to be more politically correct, and so on. I get it. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

That said, Crystal Dynamics is not only throwing one of their own people under the bus but they're also making excuses for their art. The new Tomb Raider is suppose to be darker, edgier, and even uncomfortable at times, and making excuses for the content in the game outright cheapens it. Infinity Ward sort of did the same thing by adding the option to skip the infamous "No Russian" scene from MW2, but at least they stuck to their guns and defended their choices.

It's alright for your art to push boundaries in order to convey a message, but if you're going that route you don't apologize for it. You either defend your own work and your right for it to exist or you've no right to have it. It's as simple as that.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
azukar said:

You're welcome.
Controversial Tomb Raider scene is "close physical intimidation," not rape "
I'll ask my friend who works for the DA's office how well that would hold up in court.