The Racism Blame Game

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
ms_sunlight said:
albino boo said:
ms_sunlight said:
Oh yes, the old slippery slope. Look, at the moment it's incredibly unusual to see an Indian or a Pakistani character in mainstream games, let alone a main character. You don't have to want some kind of weird quota system in order to want to see more variety. Variety is fun. Plus, it helps send the message that you're welcome in video gaming, no matter your race, sex or background.

The point about India and Pakistan is not about quotas, its about politics. The two nations have fought 5 wars in the last 60 years and are one the leading candidates for fighting the worlds first nuclear war. If you have Indian lead characters but not Pakistani ones you are going to be used by politicians for their own objectives. You are also going to alienate potential costumers. How many of the Muslim Kashmirie diaspora are going to buy a game with a lead character which many regard as an occupying force in their homeland? If have the protagonist as Turkish, you are going to be forced to take position on the events of 1915 by Armenian groups. Companies are spending in the region of $50 million developing a game and guess what, they want a return on that money. You don't do that by generating controversy other than the ones with an upside. You make a game that is complained about for having too much sex and violence you are going to make sales to the average teenaged boy. You cant say the same for a controversy about the Israeli Palestinian question. Sticking a brown haired white guy as the lead pretty much avoids those kinds of risk.
I disagree. Any demographic or point of view is going to bother someone. It doesn't make it a good excuse to exclude huge swathes of the world's population. There are plenty of people out there who see white Americans or Europeans as oppressors. What about all those shooters that demonise Arab or Russian populations?

As someone who lives in a UK city with large populations of both Indian and Pakistani origin, I find your analysis absurd.

You don't protect people by excluding them or making them invisible.

The most poisonous working environment I have ever worked was in an northern local government office. The boss of the section was a daughter of a senior retired Indian army officer and the floorplate Unite representative was the son of Kashmirie parents the whole floor was pushed into being on one side or the other. I have also seen extreme hostility between between Jamaicans and Nigerians while working for a south London council and between Hindus and Ugandans in another south London council. The most racist public statement I have ever publicly heard had come from an Indian woman council official during a tenants meeting in a north London council. She said "whats the point of the council spending money on renovating these houses when you Bangladeshis don't know how to keep your houses clean". I'm sorry to disappoint you but in the real world racism inst just between white and non white but all the colours manage to be racist pretty well.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Danceofmasks said:
HobbesMkii said:
Danceofmasks said:
You live in a world where people call Obama black.

He's mixed, you know.

If he lived in Kenya, he'd probably be considered white.

You are racist.
Obama actually does identify himself as black [http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17958438], though.
Which makes him racist too. Good job.
That's not how it works. He identifies as black because visually people identify him as black. Prejudice doesn't stop to work out geneology.

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
Prototype 2 replaced the gruff brown-haired 20-something white guy from the first game with a gruff brown-haired 30-something black guy, and I'm still buying the shit out of it.

Make good games with interesting characters and I don't care what race, age, or gender they are.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
ravenshrike said:
Zen Toombs said:
In the study, white undergraduates were given the synopses of 12 made-up romantic comedies. Along with the summaries, they got cast pictures and fake IMDB pages, which were manipulated so that each movie had six versions of the cast; an all-white cast, an all-black cast and four different versions in between.

Same plot, same characters, same everything -- just different cast members. And unfortunately, the whiter the cast, the higher the likelihood of the students wanting to see the movie.
True, except for the fact that previous experience with rom-coms with mixed/entirely black casts would, no matter what the plot is on paper, lead them to believe certain tropes and tones would be present. In order for this study to have as much bias removed as possible you would have to make the movies, and get actors with comparable talent levels to play the characters.
Yeah, I know this isn't the best of studies, but it does still show a point. But why would the movies actually need to be made? And if you don't, then why would you need actors of comparable talent to play the characters? In this study, they literally made up actors. The screen they showed participants included a fake IMDB page where the only difference was the color of the actor's skin - as said in what you quoted me:
Same plot, same characters, same everything -- just different cast members. And unfortunately, the whiter the cast, the higher the likelihood of the students wanting to see the movie.
Now, we know that saying "hey, I'd want to see that movie" doesn't mean that they would end up seeing it - but how many movies that you say "hey, I don't want to see that movie" do you see that you aren't dragged to by girlfriend/kids/parents/friends?
They could make the study better, and the topic deserves more study, but it still brings up interesting and valid points.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
albino boo said:
*snip*

I'm sorry to disappoint you but in the real world racism inst just between white and non white but all the colours manage to be racist pretty well.
That's a complete straw man argument. I never said that non-whites can't be racist - what has that got to do with this topic? I said that political tensions between groups is not a good reason to exlude either of those groups from representation in video games. There is no good reason to exclude any particular racial or ethnic group from representation, and lots of good reasons to be inclusive.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
albino boo said:
ms_sunlight said:
albino boo said:
ms_sunlight said:
Oh yes, the old slippery slope. Look, at the moment it's incredibly unusual to see an Indian or a Pakistani character in mainstream games, let alone a main character. You don't have to want some kind of weird quota system in order to want to see more variety. Variety is fun. Plus, it helps send the message that you're welcome in video gaming, no matter your race, sex or background.
snip

Companies are spending in the region of $50 million developing a game and guess what, they want a return on that money. You don't do that by generating controversy other than the ones with an upside. You make a game that is complained about for having too much sex and violence you are going to make sales to the average teenaged boy. You cant say the same for a controversy about the Israeli Palestinian question. Sticking a brown haired white guy as the lead pretty much avoids those kinds of risk.
I disagree. Any demographic or point of view is going to bother someone. It doesn't make it a good excuse to exclude huge swathes of the world's population. There are plenty of people out there who see white Americans or Europeans as oppressors. What about all those shooters that demonise Arab or Russian populations?

As someone who lives in a UK city with large populations of both Indian and Pakistani origin, I find your analysis absurd.

You don't protect people by excluding them or making them invisible.

The most poisonous working environment I have ever worked was in an northern local government office. The boss of the section was a daughter of a senior retired Indian army officer and the floorplate Unite representative was the son of Kashmirie parents the whole floor was pushed into being on one side or the other. I have also seen extreme hostility between between Jamaicans and Nigerians while working for a south London council and between Hindus and Ugandans in another south London council. The most racist public statement I have ever publicly heard had come from an Indian woman council official during a tenants meeting in a north London council. She said "whats the point of the council spending money on renovating these houses when you Bangladeshis don't know how to keep your houses clean". I'm sorry to disappoint you but in the real world racism inst just between white and non white but all the colours manage to be racist pretty well.
I agree with ms sunlight. You're getting further away from your point by focusing on this specific situation.

A. The sad truth is publishers are laser-focused on developed markets. So what the actual people of India or Pakistan or Russia for that matter (lol I know, I know but pretty sure most Western publishers consider ex-Soviet countries to be developing nations) think is of little concern. The white, male, action-hero stereotype isn't necessarily embraced in those cultures either yet gamers who want to play a game somehow manage to overcome the lack of resonance they may have with the protagonists; or the broad stereotypes often associated with their own nationalities or religion. I'm sure the majority of German gamers are resigned to shooting Nazis by now and Russians to their countrymen being the mustache-twirling villain.

B. You're assuming that the small portion of these populations in developed countries like the UK or the US, actually disposed towards buying this hypothetical game, are going to have the same strong prejudices as the examples you used. After all we're not debating a game taking a political stance or pitting two ethnic groups against one another here.

I think Ms Sunlight is correct that the inclusion of any race or gender different from what we see today would be seen as a positive and inclusive thing by the majority of non-white/non-male gamers in the world. Regardless of nation or creed. Although I think you're right that specific, politically-charged scenarios will likely always be avoided. A Pakistani lead, maybe not, but a South Asian protagonist of non-specific origin? Why the hell not? The heritage of short brown-haired white guy sure doesn't matter to the majority of developers.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Danceofmasks said:
You live in a world where people call Obama black.

He's mixed, you know.

If he lived in Kenya, he'd probably be considered white.

You are racist.
Yeah, I'm sure in the 1960's-era South, he would have been able to drink out of the white fountains half the time. And half of the year, he would have gone to white schools.

Think before you say ridiculous nonsense, McFly. Race isn't just about the exact mixture of your genetic makeup. By that standard, we're all "mixed" to a degree.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
I read this same type of article at IGN back when the first image of Robin came out for Batman: Arkham City and one of the points brought up there was that he looked like the same white guy with a crew cut that populates almost every other game currently (I'm thinking that may be the reason why he wears a hood in the final game). I posted a comment there saying, "You know what character type is woefully underrepresented as a main protagonist in video games? Black women."

I actually went back in my mind of games that I have and haven't played and tried to figure out how many of them had black women as main playable characters. I discounted fighting and sports games because you absolutely HAVE to have different varieties of competitors in those types of games. Otherwise you'd just have a Street Fighter game with 30 slightly different variations of Ryu or a Dead or Alive game with 20 variations of Kasumi.

I also discounted games based on other intellectual properties (movies, TV shows, comics, etc.) because the game developers aren't the ones that created this character for their game. They're bringing an established character from another medium to their game about that medium. So of course Storm is going to be a playable character in an X-men/Marvel video game. It's the same reason that Alicia Fox, Kharma and Layla are playable characters in a WWE video game and Niobe is a lead character in a Matrix video game.

Finally, I discounted games where you created the main character from scratch because that's not really considered being progressive. That's saying you can be progressive if you want to, but if you don't, then we'll accommodate you too. Imagine if movies functioned like that. "Don't like Denzel Washington playing the lead in The Book of Eli? Well here's a version starring Tom Cruise or Antonio Banderas or Jet Li or Angela Bassett or Julia Roberts or Michelle Rodriguez or SpongeBob Squarepants."

Taking all of those factors in I could realistically come up with two, and even those could be up for debate. The first was Sheva Alomar from Resident Evil 5. She's technically Chris Redfield's backup, but you can play as her in the second play through. The second is Rochelle from Left 4 Dead 2. Now I haven't played any of the Left 4 Dead games, but as I understand it, there isn't really that much to the characters beyond wanting to survive getting from point A to point B. Interestingly enough, I remember getting two responses from my post. One that completely agreed with me, and the other that said that black women were not considered "attractive enough" to be lead characters in a game. And I remember thinking to myself, "REALLY???" I might have missed some others. If you know of any using my criteria, fell free to let me know.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

But then again, there also has to be a right time and place for it. I also remember another IGN article talking generally about having more varied female characters in games. And while I agreed with the concept that the author was trying to convey in the article, I strongly disagreed with using L.A. Noire as an example. The point was made that even though the game is supposed to present a realistic depiction of the 1940s, female officers did exist then, so playing as a female detective would not be outside the realm of possibility. While I won't argue that little snippet of history and assume that it's true, it had to have been an extreme rarity. And if that was going to be presented in that game, that rarity had to have been ever present for it to be taken seriously. Otherwise, you have the video game equivalent of Strike Witches.

(For those that don't know, Strike Witches is an anime series that takes place in an alternate version of 1940s Earth. In it, an alien race attacks the human race turning what would have been World War II into a joint effort by all nations to drive the aliens off the planet. The primary attack force against this alien assault are the Strike Witches, a group of about eleven teenage girls from various countries who engage in aerial dogfights with these alien ships while each of them are armed with a machine gun, turbines magically strapped to their legs, and a magic shield that only comes up when they need to think about it. Oh, and apparently their uniforms require them not to wear pants or skirts.)

In fact, here's an idea I just thought of. Say EA Sports and/or 2K Sports would like to work on a WNBA game but are worried that despite their best efforts, no one would buy it simply because it's the WNBA (The general public has already proven that no matter how good a football video game is, if it doesn't have the NFL or NCAA logo on it, it might as well not exist). All they would have to do is take their existing NBA game and put a WNBA mode in it as an option.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
goliath6711 said:
snip

Interestingly enough, I remember getting two responses from my post. One that completely agreed with me, and the other that said that black women were not considered "attractive enough" to be lead characters in a game. And I remember thinking to myself, "REALLY???" I might have missed some others. If you know of any using my criteria, fell free to let me know.

snip
Sorry, not exactly related to your question. I agree there are few games out there with black female protagonist and honestly can't think of any others off the top of my head. But this reminded me of something. Remember that vote Bioware held to allow the mouth-breathing public to choose FemShep's default appearance?

My vote went towards the one black woman who was in my opinion the only one who pulled off the right mix of baddass conviction and practicality while still being gorgeous.

The others all looked like anime wannabes or hairdressers.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Voltano said:
I agree with Shamus in this article, but unfortunately the pointless variables of the protagonist (gender, hair, skin color, and age) do have an influence on games sold or even made. I remember Yahtzee bringing this up in his Extra Punctuation of Nier [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7564-Character-Names.2], and an article claimed that the developers had such radically different protagonists for that game in two different countries because the "Japanese developers would feel bad for not having a white, teenage, male protagonist." For the "Last Guardian [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104723-Upskirt-Danger-Caused-Sex-Change-in-Icos-The-Last-Guardian]," lead designer Fumito Ueda also changed the protagonist from a female character to a male one because he thought she would always be in a skirt, and he doesn't want players to look up her skirt.
Hey, it worked for Resident Evil 4. ("Leon! Stop that! Pervert!")

Or they could, y'know, put her in pants. Just sayin'.

Also, am I the only one here who actually liked Mirror's Edge?

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Otaku World Order said:
Voltano said:
I agree with Shamus in this article, but unfortunately the pointless variables of the protagonist (gender, hair, skin color, and age) do have an influence on games sold or even made. I remember Yahtzee bringing this up in his Extra Punctuation of Nier [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7564-Character-Names.2], and an article claimed that the developers had such radically different protagonists for that game in two different countries because the "Japanese developers would feel bad for not having a white, teenage, male protagonist." For the "Last Guardian [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104723-Upskirt-Danger-Caused-Sex-Change-in-Icos-The-Last-Guardian]," lead designer Fumito Ueda also changed the protagonist from a female character to a male one because he thought she would always be in a skirt, and he doesn't want players to look up her skirt.

I haven't played that game (Mirror's Edge) so I wouldn't know if it is any good or not.

But yeah, for that "Last Guardian" game, they could have easily put a female protagonist in pants or have her wear shorts under her skirt.

SanguineSymphony

Jan 25, 2011
I agree with you... But not entirely.

I think there are lots of closeted bigots. Many of which you may interact with on a daily basis. There is such a stigma associated with being a bigot (as there should be no question) that many people won't out right tell they are uncomfortable with Women and Minorities. They value their community (online and otherwise) and don't want to alienate themselves from it with comments that may get them driven from the herd.

But while buying a game has social aspects to it it still is a very personally driven experience (at times more than seeing a film at theater) and often times more expensive. And in that space those types of people are free to allow their more questionable preferences to take hold.

That's at least the fear from the corporations. And I wouldn't be surprised to find it holds some truth.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
UnderGlass said:
Therumancer said:
To be honest I'll also say that I think this issue, at least as far as it's come up on these forums is marred by ignorance, with statements being made based on a very narrow political position designed to empower specific people and representitives.

The issue we're increasingly seeing is less a matter of race, and more a matter of culture, and the problem is guys like MovieBob being unable to distinguish between the two enough to realize that racism pretty much doesn't exist in countries like the USA, but cultural conflicts do, and as cultures can be drawn along racial lines some confusion is possible.
I was wondering when someone would break out the 'Not racist but different colors and creeds are fundamentally different' argument.

I get what you're trying to say but an intelligent guy like you has to see the danger in the sort of conceptual segregation you're talking about.

The rest of your argument is the same as albino boo's and is actually a pretty interesting point. I don't really agree but either way it would be a difficult one to disprove.

albino boo said:
The problem with argument is that the ethnic makeup of the major gaming markets vary hugely. Hispanics make a large percentage of The US population but are practically non-existent in Europe and Japan. The largest ethnic minority in Japan is Koreans, in France its Arabs, in Germany its Turks and in the UK its South Asians. You can't reflect the ethnic breakdown in all the major gaming markets because its just too diverse. So if make the hero a Latino what's that going to mean to German man of Turkish origin or Dutch woman of Indonesian parentage? If you start making a point of not having a white guy with brown hair as your lead, you going to annoy the ethnicities that don't get to be the lead. You will have never ending campaign groups lobbying for there own respective group. For every Indian lead are you going to have a Pakistani one? You could quickly find yourself on a pogo stick, in the minefield of international politics without even knowing it. The truth be told, the 30s something white guy is the lowest common dominator and the safest politically of the Europe and North America gaming markets. Thats why they are so common.
The thing is that I *do* recognize the dangers involved, and really don't care. I feel that trying to avoid the unpleasantness of breaking down cultures due to all the violence and murder that would ultimatly be involved, actually leads to more problems as issues go unresolved. It's something I believe beyond video games.

Above and beyond any issues with subcultures in the USA, understand that globally I believe that the only real hope for humanity is for everyone to be unified into one goverment and culture, meaning all others will need to quietly merge into the main one, or be destroyed. Despite how this sounds I do believe that a lot of this will happen through the simple spread of ideas, and that we already see it happening to an extent, we're just not willing to speed up the process where nessicary. Of course there are entire civilizations that will ultimatly wind up needing to be exterminated as they will not join a global unity under any circumstances (and to be blunt, while everyone will say they would die before disbanding their nature to join a global goverment, the truth is that far more peoples would than you realize if it was ever presented as a viable option). The thing is that killing billions of people is horrible, but in the long run you have to look at how more people will benefit through future generations, and of course at the rest of the equasion which is simply that the current state of affairs can't continue and most people know this, which is why a lot of the merger would happen surprisingly peacefully. This is long enough so I won't go into why the current system won't work,

Thus in the US, you have to understand that with that overall perspective I am willing to be extremely ruthless when it comes to social order and getting our house in line. I would not push so far as to say we need to start in with the mass murder of subcultures and counter cultures immediatly or anything, but I do think that we need to dial back with the ideal of tolerance and work on forcing people to get with the program so to speak. That includes re-evaluating some of our policies involving free speech and the like, a point which I can defend by noting that the Founding Fathers themeselves felt that the constitution would need to be reviewd and revised every couple of decades. A lot of our problems exist by trying to hold to a set of guidelines and principles that are both out of context with the current state of affairs, and with the original intent of the people who wrote them by the guidelines listed. In the end my basic attitude is that as a society we need to be able to flat out tell subcultures and counter cultures that what they are doing in unacceptable, and to either get with the rest of society, get out, or expect to be treated as pariahs.

What I'm saying applies to this situation because of things like black culture in the US (which is one example) and how it affects things like the media, and why you see so few black heroes in the media... I mention it because of someone (before me) invoking Will Smith and the differances. That's because you have blacks being taught that the whole "angry black man" schtick is acceptable, and a policy of tolerance towards a subculture that frequently glorifies crime while villifying the rest of society and the authorities. The so called "git rich or die trying" mentality. Bill Cosby who has a PHD in Children's Education has also pointed out that black culture tends to associate things like education with selling out. Over the years you've literally had people lining up to give blacks things in terms of computers, books, nd other things, it's a popualr charity, but all of that stuff is destroyed or treated with scorn partially as a social statement. It's noteworthy also that this kind of angry populance that is encouraged to keep itself ignorant represents a powerful voting block and a lot of those black leaders intentionally want things this way so they can guide the populance and themselves become wealthy and powerful.At any rate, this leads to a situation where this culture produces very few people who are going to be able to step into the mainstream as actors and examples, the ones that do are those who have largely stepped outside of that culture, and as a result wind up being scorned as sell outs by "their" people in most cases.

The solution? Well it's not pleasant in some of the incidents it might cause, but you do things like make it so that blacks cannot choose to drop out of school as a right at 16, and have to finish High School (period). You also embrace a zero tolerance policy throughout society towards that subculture glorifying crime. Making a song like "Copkilla" or glorifying selling drugs, or brutalizing people or whatever should be flat out illegal specifically for those people. This DOES violate all kinds of excepted rights and morality, ans is going to lead to backlash which will get violent and very nasty in some cases. Stick to these kinds of tactics and over a few generations (and with current lifespans we're talking a century or so, it's not somehting we're able to say we'll be able to judge the results of within our lifespans... the children of our grandkids might though) your going to probably see results.

See, you have to weigh things like this in the long term as opposed to the short term. Sure, your pretty much making a group of people second class citizens on some levels, but it can be argued that they already make themselves second class citizens due to perpetuating this culture, as seen by how they wind up being ostricized from the media because of those points of view.

To some extent, a lot of the problems go back to guys like 'ol Honest Abe, you don't take a huge population of slaves and simply free them and turn them loose into society, and not expect anger, backlash, and counter cultures. This should have happened gradually with care being taken to slowly assimilate blacks into society rather than just dropping them into the country as free men and wondering why a divide and counter culture appeared. In the end we've created a problem that could be argued is harder and more morally ambigious to solve than actual slavery was.

Now understand, that I just use that as ONE example, the same thing could be applied to numerous other subcultures, even if that is one of the ones with the most baggage. See, when you get down to it, I tend to feel any subculture in the US where going into a neighborhood where those people live and it's like walking into another country represents a problem. Chinatown, Little Seuol, Little Italy, and numerous other names used for such districts. Of course depending on what your dealing with there might be less baggage involved than with the blacks. Truthfully I think a lot of these regions can be dealt with by just applying existing laws. Right now things like "chinatown disctricts" remain "chinatown" due to the people owning the property refusing to sell to people outside of their own ethnicity. Something that is overlooked for minorities, yet happens to be illegal (ie refusing to sell to someone just because they are black). Start enforcing the laws and watching property transactions and simple social inertia means that a lot of businesses are going to close and the shopfronts be sold to people of differant ethnicities who were shut out, and your gradually going to see the people in the region disperse into the rest of society over a period of time.

This is increasingly irrelvent to the point though, and I'm sure we're going to have to agree to disagree because what I am saying is doubtlessly anathema to you. In my case I put a lot of thought into it, and realize a lot of what I'm saying sucks and questions the very foundation of our society on some levels, however I believe we're looking at a situation where our society is already having problems and it's better to control the nessicary changes than see it fall apart. You already see issues like counter-cultures effectively excluding thesmelves from the media through their own beliefs causing problems with the same principles within our society. The big question is do you let things continue and grow increasingly worse and harder to solve, or bit the bullet, pay the horrofic price, and have a better tomorrow? There are no perfect solutions to issues like this.

-

On the other point I will say there is proof of sorts to the trend of international acceptance. For good or ill China has been rising to prominance and along with it has come the acceptance of Chinese media, with Hong Kong movies rising from bizzare cult things to almost mainstream acceptance where just about everyone knows the tropes, and actors like Jackie Chan, Jet-Li, and Chow Yun Fat headlining movies intetnationally much like an American.

See, ethnicity is only part of it, the big issue is that it can be associated with specific cultures. In making a movie everyone knows that the US is the dominant global super power, thus having Americans be the ones who save the world, or fight off the invading aliens, or whatever else makes a degree of sense, as it would probably be decided by us as the most advanced and enlightened society on the planet (even if most people will deny this when it's said directly like that). The UK and France have gotten away with some success in the international media because both are world powers who have been dominant global super powers in the past, having literally battled each other for control of the earth. They can still be accepted in this role since it wasn't that long ago. China has had a huge empire but one that has generally gotten pwned by these other powers, yet it's rising to global dominance and might very well be replacing the western powers, and as a result it's media is becoming better known, and people are beginning to accept the idea of a Chinese hero, or how China might have a chance to save the world or whatever a bit more, though the nature of their culture has presented a bit of a barrier for reasons I won't go into. China is generally not known as being a benevolent nation, just one that is increasingly powerful and has to be dealt with. People tend to remember all the stuff about the Olympics (both the contreversy over the ages of their athletes and the cover up, and how they treated people in preparing for it) even if they tend to not pay attention to the robber economy, military build up, saber ratting, and other things. If china was a bit more enlightened overall it would probably be an even bigger force in the media right now.

The point is that the trends are there.

It should also be noted that even if the US does fall from being generally accepted as #1 (all anti-US rhetoric aside), the media is not likely to change overnight, largely because we're still probably going to be seen as more benevolent overall as the guys likely to replace us, and having BEEN #1 we're still going to be a major world power and one known to have held the fate of the world in it's hands. An American saving the world would become sort of like a Brit doing it (The Avengers, James Bond, etc...), perhaps not even that differant if the culture that winds up just doesn't have principles that make it well liked. Whether we always meet the ideal or not (and how viable it is) the US at least preaches tolerance, and makes an effort. A nation like China is kind of racist (in an actual sense) and tends to be pretty oppressive, the basic conceptional hype that justifies a character like "Captain America" at least as a theoretical ideal just doesn't exist there.

Oh and as a final point, while made fun of to an extent, you'll notice Bollywood (India) comeing onto the scene, being roughly where HK Action Cinema was a few decades ago. At the same time you'll notice it coincides with India's growing importance in world affairs, but at the same time they aren't yet at the point where the globe can universally accept an Indian hero, because India doesn't even make the same pretensions the US does.

To use the whole "Captain America" example (though Superman can work to, too an extent)... a movie which went over fairly well internationally by the reports I'm reading, an American ideal is quite heroic as even if he's into cowboy heroics the American ideal is to try and make the world better for everyone even if it comes at great cost sometimes. He's pretty much the (fictionally) ideal citizen of the country he calls home. You take Chinese culture to the same degree, and their ideal is going to wind up with some kind of militant ultra-racist out to avenge the "trivialization" of his home country. Needless to say it doesn't matter what country your from, that's a hard sell to put it mildly. As fantasy Captain America is all about the pro-humanity and defense of the weak rhetoric (and to be fair he sort of represents the US in the world's eyes, as we are viewed as being a group of cowboys who try and do the right thing even if we wind up messing other things up worse in the process... being an ideal everything comes up Aces for Cap though). The Indian version of their ideal citizen becomes touchy as soon as you realize they are heavily theocratic and have cities where monkeys and considered sacred and allowed to roam the streets and such, not to mention how much of the culture is based around being at war with Islam given that it's been going on for a very long time. Their "ideal citizen" is not something people can empathize with. Yet both India and China with their extremes could empathize with Cap to an extent because his motivation of coming to anyone's aid "because it's the right thing to do" works, he would step in front of a Chinese or Indian person to defend them... where it's not a given that the Chinese or Indian versions would have much investment in being willing to risk their lives for each other or anyone else outside of their own culture and it's idealogy.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Why'd you have to bring up Mirror's Edge?

I get sad when people bring that game up, it was so good and yet so unsuccessful..

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Zen Toombs said:
Hollywood isn't the most diverse place on the planet, but even the big studios aren't foolish enough to kick Will Smith, Samuel L. Jackson, or Angelina Jolie out of their film to make room for Mark Wahlberg
Angelina Jolie isn't white?

Anyways, there's actually a concept that for your movie to be successful, you either need a white protaganist or Will Smith. Let me grab where I found that... Here it is. [http://www.cracked.com/article_19549_5-old-timey-prejudices-that-still-show-up-in-every-movie_p2.html]

What sets Will Smith apart is that he's one of very few actors who can get roles that weren't specifically written to be African-American. If the role is an action hero who could be any race at all, Hollywood usually interprets that as "a white guy, or Will Smith."
The article also points out this study [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1386096/White-cinema-goers-prefer-movies-cast-similar-race-says-study.html], which also contains things of note.
In the study, white undergraduates were given the synopses of 12 made-up romantic comedies. Along with the summaries, they got cast pictures and fake IMDB pages, which were manipulated so that each movie had six versions of the cast; an all-white cast, an all-black cast and four different versions in between.

Ah, well now there's a methodological problem with this. If the people being studied are white, and they display a preference for an all-white cast, that doesn't tell you all that much.

Would the results have been reversed if everyone being studied was black?

While the results of the study certainly have some meaning in and of themselves, without a comparative study for other racial groups, all you're left with is that white people prefer white actors, and perhaps the associated result that if the majority of what you expect to be the audience for films is white, this creates a disadvantage for non-white actors.

Then again, if the same results would be observed in other racial groups, that only makes the nature of the problem more complicated...

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
CrystalShadow said:
Zen Toombs said:
[SCIENCE STUDY]
Ah, well now there's a methodological problem with this. If the people being studied are white, and they display a preference for an all-white cast, that doesn't tell you all that much.

Would the results have been reversed if everyone being studied was black?

While the results of the study certainly have some meaning in and of themselves, without a comparative study for other racial groups, all you're left with is that white people prefer white actors, and perhaps the associated result that if the majority of what you expect to be the audience for films is white, this creates a disadvantage for non-white actors.

Then again, if the same results would be observed in other racial groups, that only makes the nature of the problem more complicated...
I agree that the methodology is not the best, and that this subject requires more study. However, if you combine this study with other studies/extrapolations of other studies - the one that comes to mind is that Doll experiment. Let me look it up.... This talks about it [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_and_Mamie_Clark#Doll_experiments].

The doll experiment involved a [black] child being presented with two dolls. Both of these dolls were completely identical except for the skin and hair color. One doll was white with yellow hair, while the other was brown with black hair. The child was then asked questions inquiring as to which one is the doll they would play with, which one is the nice doll, which one looks bad, which one has the nicer color, etc. The experiment showed a clear preference for the white doll among all children in the study.
Now this study has issues as well, but once again it makes a point.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Voltano said:
Otaku World Order said:

I haven't played that game (Mirror's Edge) so I wouldn't know if it is any good or not.

But yeah, for that "Last Guardian" game, they could have easily put a female protagonist in pants or have her wear shorts under her skirt.
Well, I thought it was pretty good. Great visual style, great soundtrack and a unique premise. It could be frustrating at times but when you managed to pull off a perfect string of parkour moves, it was very rewarding.

Ickorus said:

I get sad when people bring that game up, it was so good and yet so unsuccessful..
Yeah, I wish more people embraced it. It had some flaws, but it was ambitious and I thought it was great.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Ickorus said:

I find it kind of funny personally, for some reason it seems like it's the "go to" game for trying to argue that a game might have failed due to an ethnic protaganist, yet asian girls have been being used to promote game franchise for a very long period of time.

While it's somewhat out of context to my other points in other responses I wrote, I do tend to notice that people who decry the casting of video games rarely bother to take notice of there being entire series of games where whites are a minority prescence. Two that come to mind being the "Def Jam" fighting games, and the ongoing "Yakuza" series, neither of which seem to use foxy babes in their cover art. Granted Def Jam hasn't had a new installment for a while but it did have a healthy success record (3 games in the series, not everything becomes an eternal franchise).

As far as Mirror's Edge itself goes, I think the problem with the game was that it just didn't have lasting appeal. It was based off of Parkour which had like five minutes of fame in the mainstream where it was everywhere, we even had the guy from the original Prototype having his acrobatics and wall crawling referred to as "Super Parkour" rather than by you know... wall crawling and acrobatics as one example.

The thing is that even as Mirror's Edge came out, interest was fading, it didn't have the enduring popularity or spawn the kinds of subcultures that things like Skateboarding did, even though people hoped it would. Also as Yathzee pointed out the storyline which was part of the selling point wasn't that good or paticularly well thought out, even if the art design behind the world was kind of cool. A timed first person racing simulator where you pretty much try and shave fractional seconds off your time (in the end that's what it ultimatly comes down to outside the kind of weak plot) was an interesting experiment, but it's easy to see why it didn't succeed.

A lot of people point fingers at Mirror's Edge and it's failure as an example of why the gaming industry doesn't experiment more often, BUT in reality it was never the experimental game it was promoted, or received as. It was an attempt to cash in on a fad of the moment, in hopes that it would wind up being the next big thing. If Parkour/Free Running wound up becoming the Skateboarding for the new generation like some people thought it might, Mirror's Edge would be positioned to potentially be the next "Tony Hawk", especially seeing as it was more or less the only game in town (literally). It was a marketing move, more akin to a movie tie-in game, than any desire to be experimental for the sake of trying something new. The "experiment" was motivated entirely by trends of the moment, and truthfully had the game come out about six months earlier it probably would have been a bigger success than it was because the interest in Parkour was higher, by the time it came out it was fading fast and what little success it did enjoy came largely from those last few dregs of public interest.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008

Well said, Mr Young. I have always thought that "It's what gamers can relate to argument" was stupid, but I could never have expressed it as well as you just have. I mean, despite being a gay guy, I have no problem relating to the almost always straight player characters of most videogames.

And I actually quite enjoyed Mirror's Edge. Sure, yeah I don't share Faith's gender, race or the fact she has a sister (I only have two brothers), but did that stop me? Hell no.