The real reason Halo was/is so popular

KaMiKaZi014

Feb 25, 2009
yeah the gravity gun is epic and will forever be the most badass gun anyone would want (for the sole reason of chucking over sized police officers into exploding barrels without feeling an ounce of remorse). But back to halo. It's a good game, great multiplayer, polished visuals, all that annoys me is that the whole franchise to date has been repetitive i.e story mode, the bloody A.I, and to be perfectly honest the maps all seem similar, but just "suited" (in the smallest sense of the word) to different multiplayer matches. The choice of weapons and looks are all that have improved, that said i would only get it for the multiplayer and forge anyways. so yeah good game, but just a bit, "samey" if you've gone through all of em that is. If not, enjoy the game cos its actually alright.

Nuff said really.

iKiller

Jun 13, 2008
RAKais said:
iKiller said:
RAKais said:
Erm...Im really sorry but you are being a douchebag.

Master Chief AKA John 117 was taken as a child with 75 other children, trained until they were adults and the height of military training and perfection then genetically enhanced so they could USE the suits to give humanity a good chance at defeating the covenent.
He is a master of every weapon, vehicle and unarmed combat.
His 'stupid' name is actually a military (navy I think) rank.
If you could even be bothered reading up on stuff, he has fought for his life and thousands others on more than one occasion. In the Halo universe, he is the greatest hero humanity has and their only chance. So yeah, he is more of a hero than a normal civilian.

What I was trying to say is that a SPARTAN is more believeable as a hero who singlehandedly wins wars than a normal, easily killed soldier.
Why do I suddenly feel as though I just got a speech from a Christian?
Let me share some of my thoughts with you.
Now, right now, I'm going to tell you what I tell every Christian who's pompous enough to quote the Bible at me: "That shit does not affect those who don't believe in it."
That being said, someone who does not respect and/or like the Master Chief will not give a shit what he's done in the past, just as I don't like God, so I don't care what he's supposedly done.
Quoting what's happened in the books and arguing against someone's personal opinion makes you look like a child who has nothing better to do than protect his purchase of a completely average game that has acquired a ludicrous-sized fanbase through media and word-of-mouth hyping.
So please. If you meet another person who does not like Master Chief, don't tell them what's happened in the "Halo universe" and then tell them they have no right to say such things. Because a storyline doesn't mean shit if the other person doesn't care about the character.

Now, after all that, would you still believe that I like Halo?
In my opinion, it's a decent game, I just can't stand it when people use retarded excuses and tactics to defend it every time somebody points out its flaws.
Ok... Not a christian... anyhoo.

It irritates me when you slate something you know nothing about. If you dont like the character fine, but when you state you dont like a character then spew off a load of crap even though you know nothing about it gets pretty annoying
Except, the funny part is, I've read all the books, so I know a great deal about this character.
I just can't stand it when someone like you tries to ***** at people for not having the same opinion as them, and then using a resource directly related to the subject to back your argument. THAT'S ALL. IT'S NOT COMPLICATED.

KaMiKaZi014

Feb 25, 2009
iKiller said:
RAKais said:
iKiller said:
RAKais said:
Erm...Im really sorry but you are being a douchebag.

Master Chief AKA John 117 was taken as a child with 75 other children, trained until they were adults and the height of military training and perfection then genetically enhanced so they could USE the suits to give humanity a good chance at defeating the covenent.
He is a master of every weapon, vehicle and unarmed combat.
His 'stupid' name is actually a military (navy I think) rank.
If you could even be bothered reading up on stuff, he has fought for his life and thousands others on more than one occasion. In the Halo universe, he is the greatest hero humanity has and their only chance. So yeah, he is more of a hero than a normal civilian.

What I was trying to say is that a SPARTAN is more believeable as a hero who singlehandedly wins wars than a normal, easily killed soldier.
Why do I suddenly feel as though I just got a speech from a Christian?
Let me share some of my thoughts with you.
Now, right now, I'm going to tell you what I tell every Christian who's pompous enough to quote the Bible at me: "That shit does not affect those who don't believe in it."
That being said, someone who does not respect and/or like the Master Chief will not give a shit what he's done in the past, just as I don't like God, so I don't care what he's supposedly done.
Quoting what's happened in the books and arguing against someone's personal opinion makes you look like a child who has nothing better to do than protect his purchase of a completely average game that has acquired a ludicrous-sized fanbase through media and word-of-mouth hyping.
So please. If you meet another person who does not like Master Chief, don't tell them what's happened in the "Halo universe" and then tell them they have no right to say such things. Because a storyline doesn't mean shit if the other person doesn't care about the character.

Now, after all that, would you still believe that I like Halo?
In my opinion, it's a decent game, I just can't stand it when people use retarded excuses and tactics to defend it every time somebody points out its flaws.
Ok... Not a christian... anyhoo.

It irritates me when you slate something you know nothing about. If you dont like the character fine, but when you state you dont like a character then spew off a load of crap even though you know nothing about it gets pretty annoying
Except, the funny part is, I've read all the books, so I know a great deal about this character.
I just can't stand it when someone like you tries to ***** at people for not having the same opinion as them, and then using a resource directly related to the subject to back your argument. THAT'S ALL. IT'S NOT COMPLICATED.
...indeed o_O'

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
It was fun

and easy to play

and a sense of accomplishment

and you could play with friends and compete

this is why Halo was fun.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
I am so tired of all this "Halo Sucks","No it doesn't, and this is why" crap. The game has been around for 7 years, leave it alone. I like it, it looks good and is fun to play; why can't people be satisfied with that. Apparently, there needs to be a reason to like or hate Halo. I think that just the fact that people are still bitching and arguing over it after this long shows how special it is.

Mostly Harmless

Aug 11, 2008
Sporky111 said:
I am so tired of all this "Halo Sucks","No it doesn't, and this is why" crap. The game has been around for 7 years, leave it alone. I like it, it looks good and is fun to play; why can't people be satisfied with that. Apparently, there needs to be a reason to like or hate Halo. I think that just the fact that people are still bitching and arguing over it after this long shows how special it is.
I would have to agree with that. Most people just hate it because it so popular. Personally I think it's popular because it has the best multiplayer currently on x box live.

iKiller

Jun 13, 2008
Sporky111 said:
That should be BUNGIE's new slogan!
"Bungie. People are still bitching about it."

KaMiKaZi014

Feb 25, 2009
But isn't it healthy do debate about such things, I tell you, its good and enlightening to hear other peoples views on such a big thing, like the halo franchise. But if all you wanna hear is "it's a good game, and all it is is a game so stop arguing over it." Fine I'll say that, but I'll say it without giving a flying toss, because games like this are made to be reviewed, taken the piss out of and praised. Because it's what Bungie and Microsoft want. Granted people hate these kind of arguments. But with such a broad and opinionated community like us, I think its our duty to give other people a very varied opinion. To be honest anyways, we're just seen as advertising to Bungie and Microsoft, so bring on the advertising i say! its all good in the end! ^_^

Faster76

Aug 23, 2008
It was A fresh Idea That Came Out At the right time,but i have to agree Hlaf Life is Alot Better

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
beddo said:
ARGH! Stop all the complaining about Halo!

It WAS a good game, it received critical acclaim.

It had many innovative features that it bought to the FPS genre and it was the subtle blend of them all that made it great. It is one of the best FPS games ever but as it is now 7 years old we can't really judge it by today's standards.

If you didn't like it, fine. If you did like it, fine. Everyone has the right to their opinion.

What's stupid is hating a game because of its popularity, just because lots of people like something doesn't mean it's bad, in fact, it's generally the opposite.
Why did this thread continue after this comment?
I haven't read the subsequent 5 pages of what is probably a flame war, but if you read this comment you would realize there is no need to argue. Even if you disagree there's no point in arguing, because no one's mind is going to be changed by your ramlings here.

So please, for everyones sanity, SHUT UP.

Nov 6, 2007
KeithA45 said:
I've heard alot of arguments that Halo didn't do anything "amazing" to make it so popular. I know of a few people who actually HATE the franchise because of it's popularity without doing anything particularly amazing/new to deserve it. For the most part, they're right. Alot of the gameplay and storyline elements have all been done before. I'm sure you can all recall a game before Halo that had regenerative health, wars with aliens, vehicles with turrets, even energy swords (or something like it). I think the futuristic storyline tends to draw people, but even that's not the most important part.

But I think cynics miss the main selling point of Halo: The Spartan. It's not the back-story element of the Spartan, but rather being able to BE the Spartan. Master Chief is a god-among-men in a seemingly helpless war to save the entire human race, and each and every character in the game isn't afraid to tell you so or run for your life when they see you. I didn't care about the Master Chief until I WAS him, and I was told that I could turn the tides of a war almost entirely by myself.

It's the "desire to be great" that Halo fills so well. Think about it: growing up did you dream to be a office clerk? Of course not! Most people (including myself) wanted to be an astronaut or a firefighter or the leader of some sort of team. Everyone wants to be important somehow, and Halo puts you in control of the most important character in the whole game. Games like Call of Duty are great for their intense realism, realistic-ness and immersion, but I don't want to be A soldier I want to be THE soldier that makes a difference.

Atleast that's why my friends and I enjoy Halo.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that and I thought the music was phenomenal.
Actually the real reason Halo is so popular is because it simplified and tightened the FPS experience into something that the console crowd hadn't seen since Goldeneye. Something that was fun and easy to play while still maintaining something for the more hardcore players (OO Agent mode in Goldeneye, Legendary mode in Halo.) There are some points for both sides that make alot of sense. Such as the argument that Halo didn't really change that much of anything, just simplify it to make it more fun. The other camp says that Halo changed everything with it's regenerating health (which some youngsters believe first appeared in Halo) and use of large environments and vehicle sections. The real truth is somewhere in the middle. Not that Halo really revolutionized anything, just that they put the pieces together in such a perfect way, that they created something that hadn't ever been seen on consoles, and at the same time crystallize it to a tight and concise experience that really made it easier to use and play than any other console FPS before it. Same goes for Half-Life and Half-Life 2 for the PC. These games get alot of flack but both gameplay experiences are polished to a shine that really makes them stand out against most of the other FPS' out there. If S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had done a few things a bit differently then it would be among those games as well.

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
EvilEngineNumberNine said:
Actually the real reason Halo is so popular is because it simplified and tightened the FPS experience into something that the console crowd hadn't seen since Goldeneye. Something that was fun and easy to play while still maintaining something for the more hardcore players (OO Agent mode in Goldeneye, Legendary mode in Halo.) There are some points for both sides that make alot of sense. Such as the argument that Halo didn't really change that much of anything, just simplify it to make it more fun. The other camp says that Halo changed everything with it's regenerating health (which some youngsters believe first appeared in Halo) and use of large environments and vehicle sections. The real truth is somewhere in the middle. Not that Halo really revolutionized anything, just that they put the pieces together in such a perfect way, that they created something that hadn't ever been seen on consoles, and at the same time crystallize it to a tight and concise experience that really made it easier to use and play than any other console FPS before it. Same goes for Half-Life and Half-Life 2 for the PC. These games get alot of flack but both gameplay experiences are polished to a shine that really makes them stand out against most of the other FPS' out there. If S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had done a few things a bit differently then it would be among those games as well.
Way to beat me to exactaly what I was going to say...

So, yeah, this. ^

Ballistic Bum

Feb 16, 2009
I just said this in another topic, but... people take Halo way too seriously. It hurts the gaming experience for me. I want to have fun with a game and enjoy it with other plays; I don't want to listen to people argue and get into a heated discussion over something.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
DeusFps said:
beddo said:
ARGH! Stop all the complaining about Halo!

It WAS a good game, it received critical acclaim.

It had many innovative features that it bought to the FPS genre and it was the subtle blend of them all that made it great. It is one of the best FPS games ever but as it is now 7 years old we can't really judge it by today's standards.

If you didn't like it, fine. If you did like it, fine. Everyone has the right to their opinion.

What's stupid is hating a game because of its popularity, just because lots of people like something doesn't mean it's bad, in fact, it's generally the opposite.
So what was new?
I don't get the question, what's new about what? What's new about the situation? The game series? The commentary?

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
Maraveno said:
no the real reason is a big base full of very convincing fanboy's seeing as most halo fans tend to draw as many other people as possible into their gaming zone

ow ok... maybe forge worked a lot too(ok let's be hones loads of people including me just bought it for that)
So your saying the reason for it being so popular is the fact that its popular? What this is about is why its popular, if its popular.
Which I think it is

Elim Garak

Jan 19, 2008
I am sure a ton of people said this already in this thread, but... Yea, that's bullshit. Doom had a space marine that was great. Half-Life had a scientist that was great. Wolferstine had a soldier that was great. Hell, there were a ton of side-scrolling Rambo games way back when! Besides, the whole Spartan idea is barely explored in the game - barely touched upon.

Halo was just very lucky to expose an impressionable audience (a ton of noobs) to a fairly good gameplay with many multiplayer possibilities, on a cheap and simple platform. It has a very low barrier for entry, and yet gives you quite a bit.

Besides luck, Halo has very little going for it, compared to many, many other games.

magic8BALL

Jul 3, 2008
...yeah Halo was a good game.

That said, it wasn't the first to do many things, nor was it the best to do the things it did. It wasn't bad, and so it wasn't overshaddowed.

Why was it so popular? Becouse it was on a console. At the time of the Halo launch PC's were having to make way for a new 3D game engine: the Xbox. With the new game system came the space for a FPS. So Halo became popular.

Me? I like PC's better than consoles: I'm horrible with sticks. So: Half-Life's better. Most of my mates can't use a mouse to save themselves, so: Halo's better.

...do people still argue over this?