The REAL reason why RWBY failed(You're not gonna believe it)

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
ChaoshadowZero said:
Once again, a thread a RWBY makes me feel like the only person who actually likes it...
Don't worry friend. Come. Join us in the KYM [http://knowyourmeme.com/] nation. We have cookies and RWBY appears on the trending bar every few days with some pretty nice fan art.

Meh, OP seems a little salty about this whole thing. Outright anger the way they seem to have at this never made much sense to me and while I can understand the response in certain situations, this is not one of them. So you don't like the writing? Big deal. I judge something at the end of the day with a simple question: did I enjoy it? While it has its problems which I will discuss in a calm manner, I will say that yes, I did enjoy it and look forward to future episodes.

Also, what do you mean failed? Just because the Escapist community in general seems to have higher standards and gives RWBY an overall "meh" doesn't mean it failed.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
I think the OP is focusing too much on the trees to see the forest here. I mean, there's plenty wrong with RWBY to get angry about, but the ad-libbing deal is such a small part of a much bigger problem.

RWBY is badly written. There's no denying that. But the fact that it's badly written seems to stem from the fact that it's not written with a plot in mind. It's written for moments. You know, whatever amusing/badass/goofy snippet can be cut, edited and posted on somebody's Tumblr and be reshared among the fanbase ad nauseum. To this end, the entire story--or rather, whatever narrative beats and characters have been planned and arranged in an order that resembles a story--is written in a very broad-strokes style to keep things easily digestible. Hence, characters like "the earnest one", "the goofy one", "the dorky one", etc.

This isn't bad in and of itself--archetypical characters can be some of the most memorable in fiction--but it seems clear that RWBY was developed based on broad strokes and concepts as well--that is, there was never much of a plan to begin with. That's why the show's pacing has been so wretched over two seasons, why characters show up for an episode or two and then disappear for the rest of the season, why seasons can go by with absolutely no character development for some of the main characters, and yes, why the show's plot can be altered by a few ad-libbed lines. There is no plan, so far as I can see. At all.

Adding to the problem is that writing for the fanbase just leads to silly jokes and sacrificing the narrative for what seems cool or funny (I'm looking at the lead-up to the dance for being the worst example of wasted bullshit so far, but I'm sure more will come) and, sad to say, considering recent events, that Monty Oum just isn't that good a writer. He's a fine choreographer, and a damned good animator, but he seems to write RWBY around what characters he wants to make, which is why RWBY's season finales are just character dumps where a bunch of hitherto-unknown characters dance around onscreen looking all flashy. It'll be interesting in Season 3 (if, of course, Season 3 happens at all) to see how the character overload is dealt with--after all, Oum's previous project, Dead Fantasy, started out as simple fight scenes and quickly got bogged down by his insistence on adding new characters every episode instead of resolving the threads he still had.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
DirectorK said:
No, I'm serious. You are seriously not going to believe what I just found out about RWBY's script writing process. As if it couldn't get any worse. Yesterday I watched fatmanfalling's latest video on YouTube about RWBY talking about how Yang was such a poorly developed and bland character through the first volume and even the second volume to a extent. Here's the video:

While I was scrolling through the comments to see other people's thoughts and I came across a comment from the poster himself that made me think he was making it up. I actually had to ask the guy if this was true. And it was, because it came straight out of Volume 1's DVD/Blu-Ray commentary from the writers. And I have no reason to doubt this guy. I'm going to use the exact comments from the video.

"Pyrrha does have a good design, but aesthetic stuff doesn't really sway me.
Finding out that her character arc was based on an adlib hurt her reputation for me."
Wait, what? Oh, but wait! It's gets better!

"Jaune Weiss and Pyrrha's romantic arc was added because of an adlib during casting. Apparently in the original version of the script Pyrrha wasn't supposed to be interested in Jaune. and Jaune wasn't supposed to be hot for Weiss. And those two things take up a lot of volume 2, so that's why the story seems so unfocused."
My reaction:

AD-LIBBING?! FUCKING AD-LIBBING?! ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?! AD-LIBBING! THIS HAS GOT TO BE A JOKE! FUCKING AD-LIBBING?!

I... I can't... I just don't...

I'm totally speechless! I am totally speechless! No wonder this show became such a fucking disaster! Because of AD-LIBBING! Rooster Teeth and Monty Oum allowed this shit to go on and it ended up in the fucking script! Ad-lbbing. Fucking Ad-libbing. The stupid romance arcs between Jaune, Pyrrha, and Weiss, all came into existence because of fucking ad-libbing! I just can't believe it! I just can't!

This is the real reason why RWBY failed so hard because of fucking ab-libbing! The original script might have actually been a lot better had it not been for fucking ad-libbing! It's all crystal clear now, thanks to fucking ad-libbing. You fucking idiots!

YOU CAN'T BE THIS STUPID ROOSTER TEETH! YOU JUST CAN'T! YOU LITERALLY STATED OUT LOUD THROUGH THE COMMENTARY WHY THIS SHOW IS SUCH A FUCKING MESS! WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?! ARE YOU HIGH ON SOMETHING?! DID EBOLA AFFECT YOUR BRAINS?! I'M SORRY IF I SOUND LIKE A JERK BUT HOW THE HELL DO YOU EXPLAIN THIS?! HOW COULD YOU FUCK IT UP THIS BADLY?! WHO THE HELL IS RUNNING THIS COMPANY?! WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS WAS A GOOD IDEA?! WHO APPROVED THIS?! WHO?! JUST WHO?!

*sighs heavily* Give me a moment everyone...

I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised seeing how RWBY's writing is absolutely terrible, but this goes beyond appalling. Never in all my entire life have I seen such a colossal fuck up such as this one. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with doing ad-libbing or in-prov, Robin Williams did plenty of that through his career. But where it works in some products it doesn't work in others, as this guy who was just as speechless as I was commented on the same video.

"It doesn't even WORK! Jaune being infatuated with Weiss doesn't come off as charming or funny. It comes off as passive aggressive and awkward! Yet the audience finds him sooooo charming anyway, like the guitar scene wasn't physically painful to watch. To say nothing of the fact that one of Jaune's reasons for liking Weiss is based on stuff from the trailer that Monty declared NON-CANON. And Pyrra wasn't even SUPPOSED to be attracted to Jaune, because "we believe she acts this way towards everybody." So basically they retconned it into affection for Jaune."
And I agree with him! Because he's right! Remember the rant I exploded into on Volume 2 Episode 6: Burning the Candle when Jaune asked the question "Have you ever heard her sing?" even though it was never established that Weiss was a singer? Apparently through the ad-libbing process they forgot about the the first two trailers being non-canon and put it into the script! And Monty, not paying attention because he was too busy day-dreaming about his next big fight scene, didn't do anything about it!

This new revelation has proven one thing to me and it's the final nail in the coffin for this show. They don't give a damn about RWBY, how could they after this? The reason why they did it, aside from Monty just wanting to make money and get attention, is because they had nothing better to do. Hell, they even admitted they were pandering to the audience in Volume 2 with all the shipping.

I can tell you right now Volume 3 is not going to be any better. With their current attitude toward this series I can't see it becoming any better that what we've seen so far. Maybe it will but I wouldn't get my hopes up. This revelation destroyed my last hope for RWBY.

Ad-libbing. Fucking ad-libbing.

I'm losing it, guys. I'm gonna repeat those words going into Volume 3 when it premiers. And if we see another stupid romance arc, we'll have a pretty good idea of where it came from.
Allow me to give you the proper clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxndfKgjbg0

Should I even bother? If anything, it comes off like a "Judas Traveller" situation. The main creator had plans for him later on, but the artists and even his fellow writers had NO CLUE what his deal was.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
What the heck is adlib? I google it and I don't see something related with the Topic.....
Help?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
LostGryphon said:
Baffle said:
What is ab-libbing?

And...I didn't really get in to RWBY, but was considering it.

This makes me a bit concerned about whether or not I should give it a go, but eh.

Nothing wrong with an ad-lib affecting the direction of a script, if it's an amazing one and makes the script better...but if it doesn't, as appears to be case here, then it's just a ridiculous decision.
*Watches FMA outtakes*
I wish my job was as fun as theirs.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
SweetShark said:
What the heck is adlib? I google it and I don't see something related with the Topic.....
Help?
Basically, characters went off-script and everyone decided to run with it instead of doing another take.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
sageoftruth said:
SweetShark said:
Help?
Basically, characters went off-script and everyone decided to run with it instead of doing another take.
Ah, I see.
Well, some of the greatest moments of cinema were adlib. But I guess this don't count.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Some of the best scenes in movie history are completely ad-libbed.
Like this:

Jan 12, 2012
RealRed05 said:
Monty Oum has passed away. It was recently posted on the RT news page.
Just heard the same. Some people might want to watch what they say, but I think that talking about RWBY is not in poor taste.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
harrisonmcgiggins said:
Out of all the RWBY threads here

Not a single one mentions what it is/stands for.
If you want someone interested in your (entertainment hobby?) its best not to hide it behind one letter

I even looked at google and it didnt know.

Inferring from 1st post, its a show?
RWBY is a CG animated series created by Monty Oum and produced by Rooster Teeth. It's stylistically similar to many shonen anime shows. It follows a group of teenagers training to be monster hunters who get caught in some mysterious goings-on. (The name RWBY specifically is made of the main character's initals.)

I personally find the show to be fairly standard fare when compare to the shonen anime it resembles most. Colorful and interesting character designs (even if they do suffer from same face syndrome), nice fight choreography,decent humor, but a fairly by-the-numbers plot. What always impressed me about it was the small number of people involved in creating it- Monty Oum did the lion's share of the work on the show, so with his passing I'm guessing season 3 might not be able to happen (although Rooster Teeth definitely has the right people on hand to take over if they opt to continue.) Monty's death is definitely a tragedy- regardless of your opinion of the show, it was a great example of "if you want to make a show, do it yourself" for all the kids out there who claim they could make the best anime/game/whatever but don't know how.

As far as concerns over ad-libbing romantic relationships... I think it's fine. Let's be completely honest- the story was never terribly focused to begin with, it's largely been a vehicle to get us between the fight scenes. Personally, I think allowing ad-lib to carry the brief bit of romance we have to be a very natural way to go about it. In real life, relationships can be badly timed and seemingly mismatched- goodness know plenty of people thought it was odd when I got together with my guy... we've been going for 12 years now. I think it would be far stranger to have all these characters together and never touch on romantic possibilities at all.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I'm closing this thread out of respect. If you wish for it to be unlocked please PM me in a few days.