The Real Story Behind That Leaked Deadpool Footage - Update 2

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
RealRT said:
So, Fox let Fantastic Four 1 and 2 and also X-Men 3 and Wolverine happen, but they all but officially axed this.

Fox, why are you still alive?
wickedness is hard to kill. (I'd say evil but that's extreme)

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
DarkhoIlow said:
"Leaked by hackers" yeah right. This is the same type of "leak" of the trailer of Superman vs Batman trailer just to get DC fans some hope and hype everyone up because they are losing the war against Marvel.

Stuff don't leak unless the big heads at these companies/studios let them happen.

This Deadpool trailer was just a "let's test the waters" on a new Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds to see how fans would react.
Um... That Superman v. Batman: Dawn of Frank Miller's Anus was put together by WB so they would have something to show at SDCC. There's nothing leaked about it.

However, the Deadpool footage is almost certainly a leak. FOX had no theatrical presence this year at SDCC and the test was done three years ago.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, my initial thoughts on the subject are that it was an initial leak, and then Fox found out they can't make it happen, so want to pull it. Of course then again trying to pull something off the internet (which they know is impossible) just ensures that more people will want to see it as a result, which could be the idea too.

At any rate if Blur is busy, and Ryan Reynolds has other commitments (unknown), it makes a degree of sense that they might not have wanted this out there because after all, without the same team that made the test footage, they can't produce a Deadpool movie like that one.

It also occurs to me that the popularity of the Deadpool character means that they might have gotten blocked by Marvel pretty quickly. If they wanted to do the movie as an animated feature, like that trailer, their contract for X-men affiliated characters might not apply to works of animation. I'm looking towards how Marvel Animation Studios seems to be able to do it's own thing with direct to DVD movies and such. Doing the things they want Deadpool to do with enough live action to avoid it being an animated movie could be tricky if I'm not wrong, and it would probably expand the budget greatly. While it's doable of course, imagine what it would take to do that short trailer with all real people and stuntmen. That entire animated feature probably cost less than leveling that car, and producing a fake version of it to show seperatly so they could show an actor tumbling in the still shot holding up the drawing alone would. That would be a pretty big "money" scene I'd imagine, and you'd expect a lot of that kind of thing.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Seriously? Whoever is in charge of the Facebook comments section can go to hell. I swear, if it's not anything but glowing praise over the article or it's contents, it immediately gets deleted.

OT: Looks good. Hope they do something with the IP.

Who cares about what Liefeld has to say on the subject? He did nothing but create the design of the character while other, more talent writers and artists gave him his personality that everyone knows and loves.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
Therumancer said:
Well, my initial thoughts on the subject are that it was an initial leak, and then Fox found out they can't make it happen, so want to pull it. Of course then again trying to pull something off the internet (which they know is impossible) just ensures that more people will want to see it as a result, which could be the idea too.

At any rate if Blur is busy, and Ryan Reynolds has other commitments (unknown), it makes a degree of sense that they might not have wanted this out there because after all, without the same team that made the test footage, they can't produce a Deadpool movie like that one.

It also occurs to me that the popularity of the Deadpool character means that they might have gotten blocked by Marvel pretty quickly. If they wanted to do the movie as an animated feature, like that trailer, their contract for X-men affiliated characters might not apply to works of animation. I'm looking towards how Marvel Animation Studios seems to be able to do it's own thing with direct to DVD movies and such. Doing the things they want Deadpool to do with enough live action to avoid it being an animated movie could be tricky if I'm not wrong, and it would probably expand the budget greatly. While it's doable of course, imagine what it would take to do that short trailer with all real people and stuntmen. That entire animated feature probably cost less than leveling that car, and producing a fake version of it to show seperatly so they could show an actor tumbling in the still shot holding up the drawing alone would. That would be a pretty big "money" scene I'd imagine, and you'd expect a lot of that kind of thing.
There's a thing in production design called an animatic. Essentially, it's just an animated storyboard. Most are typically light on animation, being nothing more than slide shows to help with timing and pace and to get a feel for how shots will transition from one to the next. Some are more animated, with actual limb articulation and some mouth movement. Others will have music and or voice work accompanying them (usually recordings from a table read of the script). At the end of the day, an animatic is a proof of concept.

Which is what this is. The fact that it is fully animated doesn't prove that the film would be an entirely animated CGI film. While true, an animated film would probably not be covered by Fox's contract, there's no way they would have made an all-CGI film. All this was was a concept video to show Fox what Deadpool in action would look like, which is why it was animated.

It's kind of silly to think that because of what they want Deadpool to do, they would have to venture into fully animated territory. That didn't stop Spider-Man or Hulk from being live action.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Lieju said:
As far as the actual clip goes...

Hm, I dunno, he looks great, but how well-written Deadpool is (to me) is determined by how it handles the more serious and dark aspects of the character.

(And I?m not talking about the violence and him killing people.)

Joe Kelly?s run on Deadpool is one of my favourite things in American superhero comics, and that was because of how it balanced humor and actual tragedy, and the issues it tackled, such as what being a hero means, what ?doing the right thing? actually is, etc.

Or Deadpool?s relationships with his supporting cast, him basically ruining Weasel?s and Blind Al?s lives, but there being actual attachment there as well. Not that those relationships weren?t also very twisted.

Which reminds me, I don?t wanna hear anything about a Deadpool movie that doesn?t have Weasel and Blind Al.
My favorites of those being Dare Devil / Deadpool 97 followed by Love Hurts Blood Spurts.

Also I'd like to see the guys from Hell House at least have cameos!

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
spoonybard.hahs said:
DarkhoIlow said:
"Leaked by hackers" yeah right. This is the same type of "leak" of the trailer of Superman vs Batman trailer just to get DC fans some hope and hype everyone up because they are losing the war against Marvel.

Stuff don't leak unless the big heads at these companies/studios let them happen.

This Deadpool trailer was just a "let's test the waters" on a new Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds to see how fans would react.
Um... That Superman v. Batman: Dawn of Frank Miller's Anus was put together by WB so they would have something to show at SDCC. There's nothing leaked about it.

However, the Deadpool footage is almost certainly a leak. FOX had no theatrical presence this year at SDCC and the test was done three years ago.
I meant the leaked footage of the SvB trailer in my comment.

Not everyone lives in US or has attended SDCC to see that trailer. And we wouldn't of have seen it if WB wouldn't of "let" someone leak the trailer taken from a smartphone.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
RE: Update 2

This is getting stupid. Everyone and their dog have probably seen the video at this point. They could have gotten some decent publicity but instead they just continue looking like idiots.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Yeah I figured it was a proof of concept thing, still FOX are pretty stupid for oh so diligently hunting this video down trying to purge it from the internet. I'm just glad I didn't miss it and had the foresight to download it before it dissapeared, for once.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...

I think the way Fox is handling this is LOADS funnier than the video itself.

Are they so ignorant as to never heard of the streisand effect?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Well i'm glad I saw the video before it got pulled. Fox should just give it up at this point.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
DarkhoIlow said:
spoonybard.hahs said:
DarkhoIlow said:

I meant the leaked footage of the SvB trailer in my comment.

Not everyone lives in US or has attended SDCC to see that trailer. And we wouldn't of have seen it if WB wouldn't of "let" someone leak the trailer taken from a smartphone.
Yes, because five people on a panel can stop 300 plus from using their smart phones. In a darkened room no less.

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
I'm no expert, but as far as I understand the litigious nature of corporations, Fox is legally bound to perform due diligence in their efforts to bring down any source of this video, since it uses two musical tracks which they may not have the rights to reproduce and distribute. If they didn't hunt down the copied videos mercilessly, they leave themselves open to a lawsuit from the record labels . . . even if the labels and the film studio exist under the same corporate umbrella.
Not saying that it's not stupid, but that's at least potentially their reason behind their actions.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
wait, no laser eyes or arm blades? what about teleportation? this guy is nothing like the Deadpool from the movie? Where is the real Deadpool? That guy was so badass.

lets see who takes the bait

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
RatGouf said:
I'm so excited this clip is being hosted by The Escapist despite this odd & disturbing history!

Wait. How long until Fox sends an order to this website to stop showing it?
A day. :(

I hope we do get some legitimate news about this movie, I'm still bitter that Deapool's first appearance in the big screen was in that awful Wolverine movie.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
They seriously sat on this footage for 3 years? its the best depiction I've ever seen of Deadpool and they didn't want people to see it? Bloody hell Fox could you be any more stupid. It's pretty damn obvious now that people want a Deadpool movie.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Aw man i woke up today and i saw the video on my facebook feed and clicked. It was pure AWESOMENESS! I cant believe this was viewed by studio execs and not greenlit right away o_O
3 years delay....well i can bet my entire week`s supply of cereal that this is going to start production in the next 6 months.

I cant believe how well they got the Deadpool character it was just perfect!!! Go Ryan Raynolds!!!

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
circularlogic88 said:
Seriously? Whoever is in charge of the Facebook comments section can go to hell. I swear, if it's not anything but glowing praise over the article or it's contents, it immediately gets deleted.
If there's ever an update with the article (as in, the two that you can see they did, and one they were forced to do) then the facebook comments automatically get deleted, regardless of whether they were good or bad.