The Saddest Scenes in Film

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
I don't know why, but HAL's death in 2001 always makes me sad. One of the reason's it's a great scene, though.

<youtube=c8N72t7aScY>

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I know Titanic isn't that popular here, but Come On!
When Jack sinks to the bottom is one of the most tear inducing scenes ever!

Also, that Mel Brooks scene in Shawshank Redemption is one that usually gets me.

And the old man expressing his feelings at the of the 90's 12 Angry Men.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
These always get me going...

Ah hell, the whole of The Land Before Time is a one continuous sad scene.
I honestly can't watch it, it makes me too sad. It's funny how bad the sequels were though, that kind of counter balances things a bit in my opinion. I cannot think of anything at the moment that relates to the title. I can name plenty of scenes in books, not so much from movies. I've seen sad ones, I just can't remember any of them, aside from those which have already been posted.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Dense_Electric said:
Um, bro:

I see your toy story and raise you the first Toy Story
Also honourable mention to the Simpsons and the episode "Bart gets an F" that ending makes me cry like a little *****.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Grave of The Fireflies
Requiem for a Dream
Green Mile
Joint Security Area
Withnail and I
American History X
Apocalypse Now
Platoon

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Okay, this isn't the saddest scene EVER, but I defy anyone to keep a dry eye when Freddie sings the chorus!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I've found Grave of the Fireflies depressing, but more I find it bitter and manipulative. It's less about the characters themselves, and more about the fact that we are watching children suffer. That is enough to be upsetting, sure, but I would have liked it if the film had put some more focus into making Saeda and his sister stronger characters than trying to make them believable as children.

If the film had it both ways, then I would have felt a lot more strongly for their plight. But watching them get shoved through a meat grinder like that without reason to root for them beyond feeling sad for their predicament just got tedious after a while. I had no reason to want them to survive, because the film sure as hell wasn't making me root for them.

There was nothing beyond them suffering to compel me to care.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
When Darth Vader dies* at the end of Return of the Jedi, and then he is standing there with Yoda and Obi-Wan, proud of his son.

*I cried every time I saw that for like 10 years. And the first four years I watched the whole trilogy at least ten times a year.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
spartan231490 said:
I win.
/thread
I'm going to go ahead and play devil's advocate here and say that I've never given enough of a damn about any of the characters in that movie to have any emotional reaction to the things that happened to them. Maybe if at least one or two of them had something that vaguely resembled a personality, I'd be compelled to care that they were sad about stuff, but since we were pretty much dealing with nothing but one-dimensional stock characters pulled out of Disney's magic vault, all I could really appreciate was the quality of the animation and the music.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
saintdane05 said:
I don't know why, but HAL's death in 2001 always makes me sad. One of the reason's it's a great scene, though.
There is something extremely eary about how HAL's cold logical reasoning quickly changes to pleading for his life when he realizes he's about to die.
Soviet Heavy said:
I've found Grave of the Fireflies depressing, but more I find it bitter and manipulative. It's less about the characters themselves, and more about the fact that we are watching children suffer. That is enough to be upsetting, sure, but I would have liked it if the film had put some more focus into making Saeda and his sister stronger characters than trying to make them believable as children.

If the film had it both ways, then I would have felt a lot more strongly for their plight. But watching them get shoved through a meat grinder like that without reason to root for them beyond feeling sad for their predicament just got tedious after a while. I had no reason to want them to survive, because the film sure as hell wasn't making me root for them.

The movie isn't just about two kids suffering, though it is hard to see anything else the way it's presented. It's also about Saeda having the responsibility to take care of his sister, and failing because he makes mistakes. I only saw the movie once like 8 years ago or something - I never wanted to see it again - but Saeda could've easily returned to their bitchy aunt. Seada chose for his sister to leave that place out of a sense of pride, and his sister ultimately suffers the consequences. And later so does he.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
saintdane05 said:
There is something extremely eary about how HAL's cold logical reasoning quickly changes to pleading for his life when he realizes he's about to die.
Soviet Heavy said:

The movie isn't just about two kids suffering, though it is hard to see anything else the way it's presented. It's also about Saeda having the responsibility to take care of his sister, and failing because he makes mistakes. I only saw the movie once like 8 years ago or something - I never wanted to see it again - but Saeda could've easily returned to their bitchy aunt. Seada chose for his sister to leave that place out of a sense of pride, and his sister ultimately suffers the consequences. And later so does he.
But that right there is why I don't have any sympathy for him. It takes getting his sister killed to show that Saeda was wrong. But what does he do? Return to his aunt and admit his shortcomings? Sit down and think about what he's done and how he can live with himself?

No. He learns nothing. He doesn't have to live with the guilt because he was too stupid to realize what he did was wrong, and in the end any guilt he has dies with him, alone and unwanted.

That just seems mean spirited, and given the context when the film was released, (apparently the youth crime rate was skyrocketing in 1980s Japan), it just seems like an extremely dickish way to guilt trip youth into respecting authority. Saeda learns nothing from his sister's death, and just wanders on for the rest of the film before starving, without any introspection or anything. He doesn't swallow his pride. We barely see anything more of his inner self, since he just lost the one person who acted as a cypher for the audience, letting us experience what Saeda is really like.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I can't find a Youtube video of it, but Hotel Rwanda where Don Cheedle leaves the hotel finally, and we see what the genocide has wrought..... Only time I can remember crying in a theater.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
But that right there is why I don't have any sympathy for him. It takes getting his sister killed to show that Saeda was wrong. But what does he do? Return to his aunt and admit his shortcomings? Sit down and think about what he's done and how he can live with himself?

No. He learns nothing. He doesn't have to live with the guilt because he was too stupid to realize what he did was wrong, and in the end any guilt he has dies with him, alone and unwanted.

That just seems mean spirited, and given the context when the film was released, (apparently the youth crime rate was skyrocketing in 1980s Japan), it just seems like an extremely dickish way to guilt trip youth into respecting authority. Saeda learns nothing from his sister's death, and just wanders on for the rest of the film before starving, without any introspection or anything. He doesn't swallow his pride. We barely see anything more of his inner self, since he just lost the one person who acted as a cypher for the audience, letting us experience what Saeda is really like.
I see you saw Bennet's review of this movie, but I doubt this movie was made for the sole purpose of making teens feel bad about themselves, and guilt tripping them. Sure it'll refelect the times it was made in and try to use that to it's advantage, but what movie doesn't. My Neighbor Totoro was apparently made because Miyazaki was getting tired of the ultra-violent cyberpunk genre wich dominated 80's anime. So he decided to make the sweetest most lovable movie imaginable.

And the thing is that Japan has a love of the uber sad anime movie. I don't know if you've ever seen any of the Dog of Flanders anime movie versions, but it has that same crushing sadness with not even a blip of anything positive happening.

If you want to see an anime war movie that is truly manipulative watch Barefoot Gen 2.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Soviet Heavy said:

I see you saw Bennet's review of this movie, but I doubt this movie was made for the sole purpose of making teens feel bad about themselves, and guilt tripping them. Sure it'll refelect the times it was made in and try to use that to it's advantage, but what movie doesn't. My Neighbor Totoro was apparently made because Miyazaki was getting tired of the ultra-violent cyberpunk genre wich dominated 80's anime. So he decided to make the sweetest most lovable movie imaginable.

And the thing is that Japan has a love of the uber sad anime movie. I don't know if you've ever seen any of the Dog of Flanders anime movie versions, but it has that same crushing sadness with not even a blip of anything positive happening.

If you want to see an anime war movie that is truly manipulative watch Barefoot Gen 2.
I saw the first Barefoot Gen film, notably the bomb detonation itself. Yikes.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I saw the first Barefoot Gen film, notably the bomb detonation itself. Yikes.
I found the first one actually quite good, or should I say, quite effective in its cutthroat-ness of the depiction of post-nuke Hiroshima.

The second one was when I started to break out in hives, especially at the end. I won't spoil it, but it's message basically was; "It doesn't matter that your entire city lies in shouldering, irradiated rubble, or that everyone you love died or is dying of cancer. Keep your chin up, smile, and try your hardest at becoming a decent hardworking member of society." That worker bee mentality was fucking ripe with this movie.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
2 Reasons why you suck OP:

1 - You did almost all of the really good ones! Give other people a chance.

2 - THE PROLOGUE TO UP MADE ME FUCKING SOB!

anyway...Well no, there isn't an Anyway. The first 10 minutes of UP could have easily been its own Pixar short and it would have won a million awards. I can't think of any other scene from any other movie that was so freaking sad. Stupid movies, reminding me of my own impending mortality...

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
The Plague Dogs - The whole bloody movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084509/

People here don't like animals suffering, well, that's a whole movie of it.
Saw it first time a few weeks ago, still cries when I think about it.

NOTHING will beat it, not Simbas dad, not Bambis mother, certainly no human deaths.