The Safe haven thread: Talk about anything

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, I've lost almost 20 pounds so far in the last 2 months. So, that's going well. Another 20 should actually have me at my ideal weight.

Honestly wish things were going a bit better, but they could certainly be worse.

Has anyone heard anything about Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain, Kingdom Hearts, or FFXV? Those are a few of the games I am looking forward to/cautiously optimistic to, but I don't think there are any information of note just yet.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I finished my new rig.

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/user/Ed130/saved/Cv7wrH

Oh, I also started playing Planetside 2, I doubt I'll continue playing as it's monetization system isn't terrific but I lucked out platoon-wise. The Platoon Leader was a real pro, knowing what to do, when to retreat, what bases to bypass.

Then he said 'fuck it we're doing a Gull run' (gull is short of Galaxy, a transport aircraft armed with turrets but by no means a dedicated ground attack unit). After a few strafing runs deep within enemy territory we all were blown up and scattered amongst a hill overlooking an enemy base when the plan 'The Hills Have Eyes' came into being. In short the next few hours were spent harassing the base, destroying the armoured columns sent up to dislodge us, shooting down aircraft out of a stream sent to attack some other outpost and basically fooling around.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
I did 3 note worthy things this weekend:

1. I finished Dark Souls 2's Crown of the Old Iron King DLC. A once again reminder that everything post-vanilla Dark Souls 2 is superior to vanilla Dark Souls 2. Why? I honestly just do not know, so i'm just going to assume they brought Miyazaki in to make good level and boss design. On that note, I and very much looking forward to Crown of the Ivory King's Winter Wonderland.

2. I got my girlfriend to watch me play MGS3 as her second metal gear experience (the first being Revengeance). So has anyone else also done this? Because seeing someone's blind reaction to the Cobra Unit reveal is the cutest most hilarious thing ever, like watching a kid eat ice cream for the first time.
"WHY IS HE COVERED IN BEEEEEEEEEEEES?!"

3. Gushed over the new Persona 5 trailer for about 3 hours.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Got to play Betrayal at the House on Haunted Hill the other night. We beat the betrayer by a hair's breadth- which is as it should be- and it should have been pretty fun.
Except
The person who suggested -nay- *insisted* that it be the game we play spent the entire time bitching about how badly the game was going for him and how he *always* does terribly in that game.
Really ruined it for me.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Not The Bees said:
I recently read Yahtzee's book Jam. I'm thinking of getting Mogworld. I haven't decided yet if I want to or not.

Also, I have been going through a really weird unicorn phase. I'm not sure if it's because I'm about to turn 31, or if it's because I recently suffered a concussion. I hope it's not permanent.
Get Mogworld, it's really great. Even better get the audiobook version. Yahtzee read it so you get to listen to his voice for several hours. It's really good. Really it is.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
xaszatm said:
Well, I've started a new religion. It seems to be going strong. :p

Also, been playing Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney. People should get on it. It's a lot of fun.
Does it have cat girls?
I'm tired of all these new religions without cat girls.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
NiPah said:
xaszatm said:
Well, I've started a new religion. It seems to be going strong. :p

Also, been playing Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney. People should get on it. It's a lot of fun.
Does it have cat girls?
I'm tired of all these new religions without cat girls.
Well, Fappy and Tizzy are gods so...yes?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
I finished my new rig.

Oh, I also started playing Planetside 2, I doubt I'll continue playing as it's monetization system isn't terrific but I lucked out platoon-wise. The Platoon Leader was a real pro, knowing what to do, when to retreat, what bases to bypass.

Then he said 'fuck it we're doing a Gull run' (gull is short of Galaxy, a transport aircraft armed with turrets but by no means a dedicated ground attack unit). After a few strafing runs deep within enemy territory we all were blown up and scattered amongst a hill overlooking an enemy base when the plan 'The Hills Have Eyes' came into being. In short the next few hours were spent harassing the base, destroying the armoured columns sent up to dislodge us, shooting down aircraft out of a stream sent to attack some other outpost and basically fooling around.
You live in my neck of the woods. Are you having latency issues with Planetside 2? Seeing as you live in New Zealand.

I occasionally think about trying it out, but assume that twitch shooting isn't fun if you've got 200+ ping.

Grats on your new PC though. How long do you think it will last you before you upgrade stuff?

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
Caiphus said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
I finished my new rig.

You live in my neck of the woods. Are you having latency issues with Planetside 2? Seeing as you live in New Zealand.

I occasionally think about trying it out, but assume that twitch shooting isn't fun if you've got 200+ ping.

Grats on your new PC though. How long do you think it will last you before you upgrade stuff?
A good while yet, I'm actually running the RAM underclocked and most parts were chosen especially for overclocking and using SLI.

I didn't really feel I was lagging out but I don't really know what to look for as I don't play multiplayer. I did die a lot but that might have simply been lack of skill and crappy weapons.

And I just checked the ping for the AU werver, for me its 37.

TKhanman

Mar 15, 2014
Due to teacher strikes I've got extra time off from school, so I'm going to try out a card game called Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards with some friends.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
A good while yet, I'm actually running the RAM underclocked and most parts were chosen especially for overclocking and using SLI.

I didn't really feel I was lagging out but I don't really know what to look for as I don't play multiplayer. I did die a lot but that might have simply been lack of skill and crappy weapons.

And I just checked the ping for the AU werver, for me its 37.
Wow, okay. This has exposed my deep ignorance of how Planetside 2 functions. I assumed that it followed the standard MMO format of lumping us in with the Yanks.

But a) You say you didn't play multiplayer? I'm probably being rude asking for what is presumably an obvious explanation. What does this mean though?
b) And ooooh Australian server.

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
Caiphus said:
Wow, okay. This has exposed my deep ignorance of how Planetside 2 functions. I assumed that it followed the standard MMO format of lumping us in with the Yanks.

But a) You say you didn't play multiplayer? I'm probably being rude asking for what is presumably an obvious explanation. What does this mean though?
b) And ooooh Australian server.
As in I don't play multiplayer at all, that PS2 session was the first time in months I've went up against people instead of bots or AI from single player campaigns.

And yes, an Aussie server so expect lots of Australian accents.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
As in I don't play multiplayer at all, that PS2 session was the first time in months I've went up against people instead of bots or AI from single player campaigns.

And yes, an Aussie server so expect lots of Australian accents.
Ooooh, I see. So presumably you have to be playing multiplayer for your actions to count for anything in the game world?

For a second I thought it may have had a Warframe-esque format (which I rather enjoyed) where you could play single-player or private multiplayer, while still maintaining a connection to the Internet, and contribute to guilds/alliances in the comfort of your own private bubble.

And there's nothing wrong with Aussies. Love them. They're so adorbs.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
After a hectic few weeks and almost committing suicide (and eventually literally talking myself from jumping off a bridge), I quit my incredibly stressful job with my incredibly abusive boss and I'm still taking a moment to breathe.

My mom still doesn't want me playing video games (which is a problem) but rules were made to be broken so I've LITERALLY been stealing time as my Argonian thief in Skyrim under her nose.

OTHER THAN THAT I've recently reignited my obsessive fascination with the RPGMaker game OFF and I've been drawing copious amounts of fan art

[http://s535.photobucket.com/user/TwilitWolfAmaterasu/media/BurntII_zpsafae054e.png.html]

OH and my sister recently dragged me down with her to watch that Hannibal show which is actually better than I was expecting

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I had a rather pathetic nervous breakdown today brought on by the stress from my radio journalism course. I found what I thought was a really good story about the passing of an indigenous freehold bill in Parliament. I sent out a few emails last week and was told by various MPs media advisors that they could arrange a phone interview with me, which I could then record as audio grabs for my current affairs assignment.

It is now 2 hours after I was due to go in and record the show and I've only just been able to get in touch with a low-level spokesman after days of being tossed around between various mid-level connectors. I've got my interview, but now I've had to email my psychotic course conveyor and ask for an extension, which in this subject is the equivalent of going up to the teacher and asking to be excused because you've just shit your pants. Naturally I have a full day of other uni stuff tomorrow, so I can't record it then or even just go out to the Valley tonight and drown my sorrows.

The point of the story is, don't be a student, especially not a journalism student. It's just paying money, time and your sanity now, for the vague promise of employment in an oversaturated market.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Gizmo1990 said:
I am sick and fucking tired of Quinn, Sarkesein and SJW topics so this will be a safe haven.

Post anyting you want to talk about. A game you have been playing, a movie you just watched, a book you are reading or just somthing random that poped into your head, there is just one rule you cannot post ANYTING about all the bullshit that has been happening in the last few weeks. If you want to talk about that there are 100 other threads open right now.

For myself I just finished the books in the Bartimaeus Sequence, and I loved them, although I could have done with less Nathaniel POV chapters. I know you are not meant to like him all that much but next to Bartimaeus, he was just kind of boring.

I also just got round to installing Borderlands 2 on my PC. I had it on the PS3, but steam had the GotY edition on sale, and now that I have the DLC, I cannot choose what character to go for. I have already played the Siren and Zero, so any suggestions for who I should pick next out of the other original 2, and the DLC 2 would be helpful.
The Psycho dude is awesome, I would suggest playing him, I have played around with a variety of builds with that character, and from what I have experienced, all of the psycho builds are nuts if you play them right.

However, that's only if you like getting up close and personal with your enemies, otherwise try out the mechromancer, she gets some decent skills that allow for mad damage dealing goodness at a range, and has a killbot helper that rocks faces like a champ.

And if you're looking for someone to play with, add me on steam, and if I'm not otherwise engaged I will gladly run around causing chaos and mayhem with you.