The School Shooter Mod

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Movie Bob's point that the issue with senseless violence in games is more a by-product of much larger problems with society reminded me of a Boondock's strip I once read. The punchline was basically : "Which you rather stand up against? I bunch of nerds who make video games, or a guy with a warehouse full of AK-47's?" I wonder how much truth there is to that, even if it's subconscious.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Giest4life said:
That, too. If one is a collector of finely honed blades automatically makes him sociopath? Knives, for example, are tools that can be used for killing or for making you some salad. It's all subjective.[/quote]

Although I agree that it's subjective, guns have more less replaced the sword in terms of significance. In ancient times, swords were almost prohibitively expensive since they served no purpose besides the death of another human being. They weren't even used in hunting. Swords make shit tools, there's always something more practical to be found unless you're looking to end someone's life (it's hard to beat three feet of steel when that's the hight of military tech). Knives on the other hand serve countless purposes as a tool.

Guns act very much the same way. Although one could argue they serve a secondary purpose as a hunting tool, the point remains that no matter how awesome as guns are (and from a mechanical point-of-view, they are), the ONLY purpose they serve is to maim/kill its target. You can't create with a gun, you can only destroy. I think that's the major subtext with the problems inherent in gun-worship.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
JamesBr said:
Giest4life said:
That, too. If one is a collector of finely honed blades automatically makes him sociopath? Knives, for example, are tools that can be used for killing or for making you some salad. It's all subjective.
Although I agree that it's subjective, guns have more less replaced the sword in terms of significance. In ancient times, swords were almost prohibitively expensive since they served no purpose besides the death of another human being. They weren't even used in hunting. Swords make shit tools, there's always something more practical to be found unless you're looking to end someone's life (it's hard to beat three feet of steel when that's the hight of military tech). Knives on the other hand serve countless purposes as a tool.

Guns act very much the same way. Although one could argue they serve a secondary purpose as a hunting tool, the point remains that no matter how awesome as guns are (and from a mechanical point-of-view, they are), the ONLY purpose they serve is to maim/kill its target. You can't create with a gun, you can only destroy. I think that's the major subtext with the problems inherent in gun-worship.[/quote]

Which is why said "finely honed blades" and not swords. You may be looking at it just from the Western, European, post Dark Age perspective. Blades (knives and swords) have been used for a wide variety of purposes: surgical equipment, symbol of statues, family artifact, killing, and preparation of food are all included.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Is it just me or putting jim in the same conversation with movie bob and james just shows him up for how he isnt in the same league as most people on the escapist.Yes Jim had a number of decent points which were brought up in the 1990s.We all know these types of games are made to "troll" get attention so people look at them.

I think james said it perfectly when giving freedom people are going to make offensive games but we should let them get on with it and ignore them.If we dont react to it they will stop making them.

oh and one other thing you want to know the difference between gta,call of duty,uncharted and "school shooter mod" the former know they are a game.The main story part was doing the missions you were fighting criminals and insurgences.If you really careful you can play the whole of gtas story without murdering a single civilian its up to the player to decide how he plays.Unlike "school shooter mod" where the only way to "win" is to murder every unarmed teacher and child you come across.

The world needs to learn to stop paying attention and giving media coverage to this attention seeking idiots and show the world we have grown up enough as an industry to ignore these games.Look at tv trust me there are a number of really offensive shows on tv but does anybody make a scene that there on no they are just ignored and put on when noone is watching.So let them have there "insulting games" as time will quickly forget about them if we stop making such a big deal out of them.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Jim's show while not my favourite, is starting to grow on me, more so than MovieBob as his views on things makes me sick to the bone. For instance that he views certain aspects of humanity disgraceful so that he himself can feel like an evolved being that rise above the norm.

Also on another note I like Jim's philosophy of words only being hurtful as long as you let them. Lets face we are not alike any of us in the entire world so we need words to describe feature of each other so we can better distinguish between all of us. I remember a time where I would hide the fact that I was a nerd, during that time nerd was a negative and hurtful word, then when I got older I learned that I should embrace my features and not reject them. And it made me an overall happier person.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
JamesBr said:

Guns act very much the same way. Although one could argue they serve a secondary purpose as a hunting tool, the point remains that no matter how awesome as guns are (and from a mechanical point-of-view, they are), the ONLY purpose they serve is to maim/kill its target. You can't create with a gun, you can only destroy. I think that's the major subtext with the problems inherent in gun-worship.
Also, being a little pretentious, Imma bust some Heraclitus on you and tell you that war and destruction is necessary for rebirth and life. Guns, for example, must destroy a life in order for you to feed your family. Sure, arrows and javelins and spears may do that, too, but they can't do it as safely or as efficiently as their modern counterparts. For, example, there are certain families in Western VA that depend on hunting, as well as people in Northern Pakistan, Africa, and Eastern India etc. And by depend I don't mean food, I also mean economics. Poaching, though illegal in many parts, is a primary source of income for many in India and Africa--sometimes the only way to feed their families.

hathfallen

Nov 7, 2007
I want to add the statement that "Second Person Shooter" is a really brilliant idea. Imagine, your character is a lowly Imp spawned in a random point in a Doom level maze along with a horde of your allies, knowing that a homicidal maniac is roaming the corridor gunning you all down like fodder. Your only hope is to not attract his attention long enough to figure some way to bring him down, like lining up a bunch of explosive barrels in front of a door he's about to open, or freeing the Cyberdemon just as he ran out of ammo.

In a sense, it's the anti-School Shooter, a game that takes away the puerile empowerment fantasy of the basic shooter and forces you to win over brute force with wit and strategy.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Fully on Bob's side for this. Pretty much reflects my opinion on the game. Nobody really has any right to prevent it from being created, but that doesn't stop it from being terrible in every way.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
"A game like School Shooter couldn't survive in a world where the gamers (not the Jack Thompsons, who can safely be ignored at this point) don't raise an eyebrow."

If it hadn't come up on the Escapist (twice now), I would never have heard of this mod, and I still don't care. Does that mean I'm the exception since the game hasn't imploded and vanished from existence?

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
They brought up some interesting points, especially relating to the hypocrisy of any stance. I've railed against John Wayne in the past and the Western genre in general for trying to depict the practical genocide of the Native American culture as the justified killings of mindless savages, bringing up that i'm of Native American heritage, but then having no problem with giving Nazis roughly two dozen new assholes in Medal of Honor despite being of German heritage as well.

Anyway i'd like to comment on the School Shooter mod, but i'm not entirely sure what it's merits are. You could logically argue that such a mod would be justified as an attempt to better understand just what extreme mental strain the shooters must have been under to commit such atrocities and maybe better prevent them if we can understand the mindset, but at the same time there's no denying that there are psychopaths who would make such a mod because they would go on a shooting rampage themselves if they had access to guns and weren't afraid to die. And then you've got the third point, immature morons so desperate for attention that they do stupid things like claim to be members of the Taliban, make school shooter mods, and post spoilers online relating to the fate of Dumbledore. I'm not entirely convinced of which group the mod falls under and can't really make a comfortable stance when i don't have an answer to the basic question "WHAT THE FUCK, GUYS?!" I need a little more context. Mind you i might come to regret that if it's a depraved lunatic or someone who is socially retarded... still, this isn't something that should be taken lightly, and i'll be the first to scream opposition if a filmmaker is allowed to make a movie relating to a massacre but video games are denied publishers because of the naysayers who think video games magically turn anyone who touches them into spree killers.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
I say next conversation you guys go to the other end of the spectrum and talk about the artistic merits of Shadow of the Colossus or something.

Weasker

Sep 16, 2010
Yatzee please come back to Extra Consideration, wee need you. Just look who's replacing you.

Dice Warwick

Nov 29, 2010
It's like when Kramer went ballistic on a black person; it's less about how rasist he was, and more about how he was no-longer funny. I don't see how School Shooter is a fun game on it's own, If you have played "Fallout 3" then you have probably gone on a rampage in Megaton, but when you were done or dead, you reloaded your game and went back to playing the game like you normally do, well Unless you were planning on nuking the town later, then it was icing on the cake.

people tend to forgive the racie, or sociopathic, only becus the person going it was able to make it eather fun, funny, or thought provoking. When it is non of theses, then it sould be left to vanish into obscurity, not given an honor to be plastered all over the media.

Lunacy

Jul 13, 2009
It's not thematically the same as what James suggested, but there IS a "second person shooter" game called Second Person Shooter Zato that was posted on JayIsGames a few weeks ago. I haven't played it much, but it's quite neat having to shoot at the camera and seeing yourself through the "eyes" of the enemies. Actually, I suppose it's the opposite of what James suggested, but then would it be a second person "shooter" if you did nothing but have someone shoot at you?

And while I'd rather not bother with it, I suppose I should say something about School Shooter. MovieBob's statement at the end that "shit has its own integrity" about sums it up. Looking at the interview with the developer, he seems to think that games are toys for children and/or mindless entertainment. Exactly the kind of garbage the industry needs to get rid of. Pawnstick, come back when you've remade the game for people who don't want to shoot innocent, defenseless AI. There's a lot of things to say about school shootings, but "killing innocent people is fun!" is not one of them.

Considering he obviously doesn't want to make any kind of intelligent statement, I suppose we can just forget this thing ever existed and keep playing games that are actually good.

loodmoney

Apr 25, 2011
I must say, Sterling surprised me twice, with this one. First by showing up unannounced. Then by making a point I agreed with: that it would be hypocritical to attack the game in question but defend Grand Theft Auto and the like.

But then he just had to go and do this:
Jim Sterling said:
I've always held the belief that the only way to combat offensive content is to not be offended. It's our negative, hurt, upset reaction that gives offensive content the advantage. Why are racial slurs so powerful, for example? It's because of how we react to them. If we could casually write off such slurs, or even learn to laugh at how inherently meaningless and silly they truly are, then racists would be robbed of their biggest weapon.
Really? 'Don't be offended' is the advice here? I get that the creator of the game is a troll, and he should be ignored for that reason. I also get that some people might want to reclaim slurs in order to take away their power. But you do not get to tell people to not be offended. Words do have meaning, especially when those words are meant to let you know that people hate you. This is 101 stuff.

And this:
[...]leads me to further question why School Shooter should be singled out for being so honest about its violent, amoral content.
[...]we're stuck talking about this one and not about, say, the sexual abuse implications in Killer7[...]
If there is a problem in gaming, we have to single out games. Sure we could have a discussion about other games, but sooner or later you have to look at particulars. The 'why is this one being singled out' line can be applied to any game you choose; if it is so applied it effectively shuts down discussion about the issue. Not that there are other reasons not to single out School Shooter; I'd agree with Portnow, in that the reason to ignore this game is because of the audience its creator will get as a result. But I get the feeling that Sterling does expect or even want a conversation about the troubling sexual abuse implications in Killer7.[footnote]I'm not sure if I have interpreted the second part of this quote correctly. I take it to mean that we should be talking about troubling aspects of games by referring to good games, like Killer7, but there is certainly room for disagreement.[/footnote] After all, why should that game be singled out?

In other news, I love MovieBob. Between this and his "Skin Deep" clip, he really has been rocking the good points lately.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Sorry Jim, your arguments are so weak, I could hardly call them arguments at all. You compare this piece of shit to games like CoD or GTA, but let me point one thing: Killing innocent people is not the one and only reason to play these games, its not even the main point of gameplay. You are talking about running over Grannies in GTA, but thats not the point if this game, you dont have to do this. While killing school kids is the only thing you can do in "school shooter".