The Secret World Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
The Secret World Review

Global conspiracies and Lovecraftian horrors abound in The Secret World.

Read Full Article

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Oh, Tuvok, you so crazy.

It's interesting. From what I'd heard about the game so far I'd expected the combat to look a little less..."standard." Nice to have an MMORPG include some brainteasers for challenges instead of going 100% grindfest all the way, though.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I played the beta for this just before it got released, and as someone who's played Wow for a good part of 6+ years, I was impressed.

There's one, and one thing that kept me from buying the game. 15 dollar a month sub + cash shop + 60 dollar game purchase.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Fun fact: my char was wearing a red shirt during that mission briefing at the end of the video.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I hadn't heard of this game until the escapist ads. This review has me interested for sure... if the prices would just drop a little.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I was so excited for this when I first saw the reveal trailer. The setting seemed right up my alley, but my interest dropped right off a cliff once I found out it was an MMO and based on what I saw in the video it doesn't really do much for me in the gameplay department. I have just never been interested in the MMO experience in or that type of gameplay. Had this been a Sandbox game like Infamous or Prototype or Open World ala Skyrim I would have been all over this.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Damn I really want to play this game...I was travelling when the beta went up and now I just can't afford the price tag.

Nice review btw

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
There's one, and one thing that kept me from buying the game. 15 dollar a month sub + cash shop + 60 dollar game purchase.
Yeah, you and me both. On the upside, if Star Wars: The Old Republic is anything to go by, it should be a sweet free-to-play in a couple of months from now. :)
Also, my ADD has ADD; that cracked me up. :D

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Farther than stars said:
Waaghpowa said:
Yeah, you and me both. On the upside, if Star Wars: The Old Republic is anything to go by, it should be a sweet free-to-play in a couple of months from now. :)
Ffs Do you guys want to ruin my games?
I don't want to play a piece of p2w crap filled with hacking penniless teens.

Zaleznikel

Sep 3, 2008
Just want to make a correction, the pricetag is $50, not $60, and also clarify that the cash shop is purely, 100% cosmetic. Only things in there are clothes, pets (that don't provide buffs), fireworks and titles.

As someone who has been following this game for 4 years, played beta and is playing it now, I enjoy it :D

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I wanted to like this game but I just couldn't, I could see myself getting pretty heavily invested in the game if the combat and animations weren't so clunky.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Fine! I will buy the game.
Here I was thinking "Oh I will save my monies as I am finally free of any game with subs." But no! You reel me in with excellent setting, what appears to be good story telling and a unique ability system unlike any I have seen in other MMOs.

I will even overlook the EA distribution.

*Shaking with Rage*

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
This could be the MMO for me, with that leveling system and al. And I really want to support funcom, but EA publisher... That explains the ridiculous starting price...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ive trying this game out for a bit

while I like what they are doing with it and everything, I think my main problem is its still an MMO

and I guess I'm just not an MMO person

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
rolfwesselius said:
Farther than stars said:
Waaghpowa said:
Ffs Do you guys want to ruin my games?
I don't want to play a piece of p2w crap filled with hacking penniless teens.
What free mmos have you played recently? p2w doesn't really happen in mmos too often, its mostly just xp boosts and cosmetics.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I'm pessimistic. Last Funcom game I tried was Age of Conan, and that was... disappointing. In my typical fashion, I speedily raced ahead in levels only to find that the wealth of content at the beginning of that game was traded for pretty much nothing to do in the later levels. I ended up quitting that game about as quickly as I jumped into it. And... considering that in this review you mention a lack of endgame content, something tells me that this game could be making the same mistake.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
I'm waiting for the first patch and the price to fall, but I already know I'm getting this. It's inevitable. (The reviewer may have found it relatively bug-free, but I've read plenty online about crashes / memory problems.)