The Secret World Review

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
ms_sunlight said:
I'm waiting for the first patch and the price to fall, but I already know I'm getting this. It's inevitable. (The reviewer may have found it relatively bug-free, but I've read plenty online about crashes / memory problems.)
First bug fix patch came out a few days ago. First big patch comes out the 31st.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
I am really enjoying the game. I got mine for $50 from Amazon, with a $10 promo creit, which includes 30 days of game play. The sotry itself intrigued me to play 30 days. You can almost treat it as a sandbox RPG. The cut scenes are fun. Again first MMORPG I wantto read the quest text. It's got some creepy haunting scenes. I recommend checking out.. It feels different.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
I'm definitely enjoying the game, and it's rapidly become one of my favorites. If you blow through everything then yeah, you might get bored, but there's a freaking ton of stuff to do if you take the time to look around you. TSW is a game where you have to pay attention to little details to really get the full experience - and I'm not just talking about the investigation missions, but there's a bunch of hidden stuff out there as well.

And they have monthly updates with new missions, plus their first raid coming out next month as well. If they can actually hold up the monthly update scheme then I really think this is going to be the superior MMO. Especially since it requires actual thought. Combat does feel a little slow, but that's something they've been working on and there's already been lots of improvement. For anyone on the fence I'd encourage you to give it a shot.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm seriously interested in this game and I've considered buying it, but in my region (Mexico) they want to shove "euros" down my throat, with the game costing me 49 euros + subscription.

I mean, I seriously loved Age of Conan and, along with Guild Wars, Lotro and DDO, it became one of my favorite MMOs I've ever played, but c'mon, euros?.

Until they change it to USD or becomes F2P (you know it'll happen), I think I won't be playing this any time soon.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
I'll probably pick it up then put it down until it goes subscriptionless (It'll happen eventually, it'll probably end up being B2P, I'm not seeing EA going full F2P here).

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Metalhandkerchief said:
SupahGamuh said:
I'm seriously interested in this game and I've considered buying it, but in my region (Mexico) they want to shove "euros" down my throat, with the game costing me 49 euros + subscription.

I mean, I seriously loved Age of Conan and, along with Guild Wars, Lotro and DDO, it became one of my favorite MMOs I've ever played, but c'mon, euros?.

Until they change it to USD or becomes F2P (you know it'll happen), I think I won't be playing this any time soon.
Register with a US address and you can pay in USD.
The thing is, I kinda already did that with AoC, you see, they charge me in euros in that game too, so I changed my address to a fake US one and I proceeded to subscribe for a month in USD, later they banned me, I contacted them (they have an amazing customer service) and they told me that they banned me because they didn't recognized my payment as an US resident, but they were kind enough to remove my ban status, refund me my money AND give me a free month.

Since then, I haven't done anything similar with Funcom, but maybe I'll try some other time.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
plainlake said:
This could be the MMO for me, with that leveling system and al. And I really want to support funcom, but EA publisher... That explains the ridiculous starting price...
Actually, the huge cost of making this game and the fact that designers tend to want to get paid in some way explains the price tag. Is $50 really that much? (as someone has pointed out, the price is actually $50, not $60)

I don't live in the US, so I don't know how much games usually cost, but $50 works out as around ?40 which is pretty cheap compared to Europe. Some games here cost ?60 on release ($70)

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'm not much into MMOs, at least not since the EQ days, but if there's a 'free for 15 days' or something I'd be more willing to check it out.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mmmm an MMMORPG that take place in the modern setting? That's rare.
If I weren't going to be preoccupy with another MMO soon (GW2 and maybe PSO2) and this game was free to play I would of give it a go.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
plainlake said:
This could be the MMO for me, with that leveling system and al. And I really want to support funcom, but EA publisher... That explains the ridiculous starting price...
Ea is not the owner of funcom all funcom did is pay ea to make the boxes and ship them.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I don't know about this review. I'll admit I did only try the BETA, but after my severe interest in TSW pre-release since I loved the idea of a Lovecraftian game, the BETA didn't just disappoint me but actually annoyed me out right. I felt the combat was tacky, with what was meant to be diabolical creatures were treated like run-of-the-mill monsters to kill by mashing one of six abilities which killed the atmosphere of the game dead. I also felt the writing was terrible, with less of a "okay, time to investigate something secret" feel and more of a "go to X location, pick up quests, kill Y amount of Z creatures" feel. The fact that the police station was how it was (as in, with massive holes in the fences, with zombies just standing outside bored) just killed it. Not to mention, the story of "there JUST SO HAPPENS to be a bee that stings you" is so accidental it's irritating.

The final crunch point was, as said in the review, how the game seems to shove character back-story onto you to full pelt in monologue rather than SHOWING personality, back-story and character. I had spent at least three hours, probably closer to five hours, doing quests and I was still no closer to finding out why things were the way they were, instead with a feeling of being swamped with things that really did not matter. I had been lectured for about five to ten minutes about a police officer's back-story about his father dying in the most apathetic generally happy tone, while there was a zombie apocalypse going on and after I'd only met him about five minutes prior. Why would someone get their priorities so confused? Why is he spilling his guts out in such a happy-go-lucky manner about his father while there's zombies? Even if there's relevance, it should only end up being brought up once shit hits the fan hard and it's revealed things like that have some importance.

I'll admit, this is no Fallen Earth (which is one of the worst major MMORPGs I've ever played personally), but the idea of offering what it does and expecting a subscription is, to me, laughable at best and insulting at worst. I think this is one of those games I don't think I'll see what people see in it, since to me it's just naff. That there's nothing particularly good here (e.g. graphics) and the important parts are either bland (e.g. gameplay) or just down-right terrible (e.g. the writing). I really expected so much more than what it delivered and I feel let down and disappointed I really could not enjoy it.

Archibald

Jul 14, 2012
There's one, and one thing that kept me from buying the game. 15 dollar a month sub + cash shop + 60 dollar game purchase.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
Riobux said:
The final crunch point was, as said in the review, how the game seems to shove character back-story onto you to full pelt in monologue rather than SHOWING personality, back-story and character. I had spent at least three hours, probably closer to five hours, doing quests and I was still no closer to finding out why things were the way they were, instead with a feeling of being swamped with things that really did not matter. I had been lectured for about five to ten minutes about a police officer's back-story about his father dying in the most apathetic generally happy tone, while there was a zombie apocalypse going on and after I'd only met him about five minutes prior. Why would someone get their priorities so confused? Why is he spilling his guts out in such a happy-go-lucky manner about his father while there's zombies? Even if there's relevance, it should only end up being brought up once shit hits the fan hard and it's revealed things like that have some importance.
Something tells me you have an incredibly hard time understanding well written novels.
Those simple things that "really did not matter"? They DO matter if you want to understand the story. EVERYTHING in this game holds a part of this story and, no, it is NOT shown to you.
A bad story tells. A good story shows. A great story implies, and makes the reader think for himself.
That is exactly what you were failing to do. This game is a like a puzzle that has had its pieces scattered all across the world. You looked at those pieces and said "This is garbage."
You failed to even attempt to put those pieces together into a way that made sense.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Filiecs said:
Riobux said:
The final crunch point was, as said in the review, how the game seems to shove character back-story onto you to full pelt in monologue rather than SHOWING personality, back-story and character.
Something tells me you have an incredibly hard time understanding well written novels.
Those simple things that "really did not matter"? They DO matter if you want to understand the story. EVERYTHING in this game holds a part of this story and, no, it is NOT shown to you.
A bad story tells. A good story shows. A great story implies, and makes the reader think for himself.
That is exactly what you were failing to do. This game is a like a puzzle that has had its pieces scattered all across the world. You looked at those pieces and said "This is garbage."
You failed to even attempt to put those pieces together into a way that made sense.
Reread my first sentence in the paragraph you quoted. They didn't show that the deputy had family issues nor do it imply, it told you flat out in a monologue that had such an inappropriate tone that it was more annoying than anything else. If to solve the puzzles I have to be handed the pieces, instead of me noticing them, and then told "go solve it" like this, then I don't care for the puzzle at all.

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
Metalhandkerchief said:
Archibald said:
There's one, and one thing that kept me from buying the game. 15 dollar a month sub + cash shop + 60 dollar game purchase.

Your post is summarized thusly: "I don't want optional item stores because I don't use them and therefore no one else can have them."

You make me sick.
Aren't there character slots and gear management slots on the store as well? Seems like charging to store abilities in a game with over 500 of them is towing a thin line

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
plainlake said:
Actually EA is just handling the box sales. You can order it directly from Funcom as a Digital copy.

http://www.funcom.com/index.php/home