The Secrets of Firefly's Shepherd Book Will Finally Be Revealed

pntaylor

Reticulating Splines
Mar 16, 2010
Quite excited by this and as soon as I can get a pre-order in on it here in the UK I will. Like many I was disappointed when Serenity was cancelled and more-so when Book was nothing more than a cameo on in the movie because I wanted to know more about his past.

While there were some strong hints about what he may have been in the series and movie who knows what we'll actually learn.

Jul 11, 2008
This is an iffy issue. I mean, on the one hand, I always wanted to find out about his past, on another, there's a certain appeal in the mystery behind it... I'll check it out either way, but still, this one can potentially lower Book's overall coolness.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Definitely on the list of things to purchase once it comes out!

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Silent Biohazard Solid said:
This is an iffy issue. I mean, on the one hand, I always wanted to find out about his past, on another, there's a certain appeal in the mystery behind it... I'll check it out either way, but still, this one can potentially lower Book's overall coolness.
Completely agree, you said my thoughts exactly, I'll still get it, but it may be harmful to the way I imagined him.

Browbeat

Jul 21, 2009
The revelation of Shepard's origins is unlikely to be as surprising as it will be simply satisfying: Reading the canonical placement of his past into the Whedonverse is a simple pleasure, but one many fans can share.

Next up: Jaynestown, the Later Years...

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
MR T3D said:
the movie does suggest he was an OPERATOR.
it would be interesting to see what circumstances lead to his change of heart.
Very much this, he was obviously a high ranking Alliance something (most likely operative), but what exactly inspired the preacher in him? I'm very, very excited about this :D

kahlzun said:
I say reformed bounty hunter.

Early recognised him by sight, which means he's one of three things:

1. Famous
2. A Criminal
3. Competition (ie. Bounty Hunter)

1 is unlikely, since very few characters who weren't knee-deep in the Alliance recognised him.
2 wouldn't work. Early would either capture him or shoot him, and the Alliance would have had no interest in helping him, and certainly wouldn't have let him leave afterwards.
3 makes sense. Early would know him because all good bounty hunters know their competition, and if Book was in good standing with the Alliance (Who are what, whitecoats?) that would explain his welcome with the alliance.

(For those confused, I refer to the episodes "Objects in Space" and "Safe")

Anyway, i also have to say want want want want give to me want want want want.
Ah, but was it the character early recognised, or was it his mannerisms? It's conceivable that a successful bounty hunter would recognise things like military or operative training/procedure.

TheGunhaver

Mar 18, 2010
Agreed. The movie pretty much made that clear. Still, it will be interesting to see what happened to him as an operative (provided that's true) to make him become the character he was in the show.

I liked that his character has been shrouded in mystery for all this time, but I think now I'm ready to actually get some answers there.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
AgentNein said:
laryri said:
He's a former operative. Calling it now.
Haha, yeah I called this back when Serenity came out. Seems fairly obvious to me, there were so many weird parallels between him and The Operative. Especially that by the end of Serenity (spoilers) The Operative had 'lost his faith in his world', which I could see leading to him becoming a man of the cloth as well?
Its pretty apparent that he's not actually a man of the cloth. In the pilot when Kaylee first hawks at him about Serentity, she assumes he's a shepard, and you can see a momentary pause before he decides to take that role. After that, he's working a cover.

About the only way he could be something other than an Operative is if he was affiliated with Alliance intelligence in some other capacity.

I could see a curveball in that he was insturmental in the Browncoat's defeat, which would give him a very solid reason to never ever tell Mal about his history.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
kahlzun said:
I say reformed bounty hunter.

Early recognised him by sight, which means he's one of three things:

1. Famous
2. A Criminal
3. Competition (ie. Bounty Hunter)

1 is unlikely, since very few characters who weren't knee-deep in the Alliance recognised him.
2 wouldn't work. Early would either capture him or shoot him, and the Alliance would have had no interest in helping him, and certainly wouldn't have let him leave afterwards.
3 makes sense. Early would know him because all good bounty hunters know their competition, and if Book was in good standing with the Alliance (Who are what, whitecoats?) that would explain his welcome with the alliance.

(For those confused, I refer to the episodes "Objects in Space" and "Safe")

Anyway, i also have to say want want want want give to me want want want want.
We can safely ignore 1. because otherwise Inara would have recognized him, if not other members of the crew (Zoe comes to mind).

2. and 3. are also unlikely because of the detailed knowledge that Book possessed about Operative Methods (Serentity-Film), and the Alliance would be unlikely to bring a known criminal or bounty hunter aboard one of their ships for medical aid, no matter how useful he had been to them in the past (Safe).

The conventional assumption is far safer, that Book is in fact a former Operative. An Operative would necesarily have detailed knowledge of criminal organizations, and advanced weapons training Book displays (War Stories).

It's even possible that Early doesn't know what Book was, only that he's "not a shepard" (Objects in Space). (Whedon states that Early doesn't in fact know Book in the Objects in Space commentary, only that he intuitivly derives that Book isn't what he appears.)

itsjustme

Oct 23, 2008
TOGSolid said:
Wait, are people really complaining about more Firefly (even if it is just a comic book)? Egads, what's wrong with the lot of you?
AMEN!! I'm DYING for this book! Heck I own the entire series, the movie, and both novels they've made so far (and I'm sure a few others reading this do too)... GIMMIE MORE!!

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Starke said:
AgentNein said:
laryri said:
Haha, yeah I called this back when Serenity came out. Seems fairly obvious to me, there were so many weird parallels between him and The Operative. Especially that by the end of Serenity (spoilers) The Operative had 'lost his faith in his world', which I could see leading to him becoming a man of the cloth as well?
Its pretty apparent that he's not actually a man of the cloth. In the pilot when Kaylee first hawks at him about Serentity, she assumes he's a shepard, and you can see a momentary pause before he decides to take that role. After that, he's working a cover.

About the only way he could be something other than an Operative is if he was affiliated with Alliance intelligence in some other capacity.

I could see a curveball in that he was insturmental in the Browncoat's defeat, which would give him a very solid reason to never ever tell Mal about his history.
It's all up for interpretation, but I honestly feel like that might be a misinterpretation. It's pretty obvious he had something to do with the alliance, but he was definitely a 'man of the cloth' by the start of Firefly. There's virtually no reason he would need to work an angle...

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
AgentNein said:
Starke said:
AgentNein said:
laryri said:

It's all up for interpretation, but I honestly feel like that might be a misinterpretation. It's pretty obvious he had something to do with the alliance, but he was definitely a 'man of the cloth' by the start of Firefly. There's virtually no reason he would need to work an angle...
That's actually quite true, it is all interpertation.

The evidence is: He is very familiar with Alliance operation proceedures, and has an identicard that flags him for VIP treatment within the Alliance Military. He is familiar with the criminal syndicates that are active. He is very well trained with weapons. (Aiming for the kneecaps isn't something you can just decide to do, he is THAT good.)

A somewhat reasonable analysis of this is, that he was a former Operative, or highly placed in Alliance intelligence. It's somewhat unlikely that he was a main line alliance officer, otherwise the officers in Safe would have either recognized him or his name, when, instead they show no recognition.

The dubious evidence is: there's a pause in the pilot when Kaylee assumes he's a shepard before he responds.

My interpertation of that pause is, up to that moment, he hasn't claimed he's a shepard to any of the other ships, just that he never married, and isn't a grandpa. If he is former Alliance Operative, that isn't something he would admit to a total stranger, so creating a false identity makes a lot of sense, (remember, he was originally only going to be a passenger, so this would have been a short term identity.) Once he's a member of the crew, he knows, because of Mal and Zoe's history, that if he revealed who he was, they would never trust him again, or worse.

The angle is, he made a snap decision when he was first comming on the ship, in the hope that it would keep Kaylee (and the rest of the crew) from asking too many questions. As time goes on, because it wasn't a planned cover, it starts to break in places. (Basically any time Mal asks "how would a Shepard know something like that?")

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
What I read:

Logan Westbrook said:
The Shepherd's Tale comes out in November, as a hardcore graphic novel.
Well, that would surely have been quite interesting.

Unfortunately, I don't remember very much from Book himself, but he was certainly very intriguing. What I do remember is the hair. The hair!!

Hashcurt

Aug 22, 2009
well, looks like it's a christmas pressie for the missus when it comes out then.

Might be interesting, though she's more the firefly fan, i'm not too fussed about it.