The sequel to the best game ever is about to come out.... and no one's noticed it.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
You're trying to tell me Catherine hasn't been getting coverage? This a joke?

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Drakos.Amatras said:
It's Shin Megami Tensei.
To be fair, it's also a name in a language with different vowels, a different writing system, and multiple conflicting Romanization schemes in widespread use.

PoisonUnagi said:
Aw fuck, I was hoping for another Zeno Clash or RECOIL. You had my hopes up >.>
People liked Zeno Clash? I felt like it was a visually beautiful game with an interesting albeit underdeveloped story and some of the worst-balanced gameplay I've ever encountered. The hand-to-hand was awesome, but then they just kept giving you better weapons to use instead (often FORCING you to use them to hit unreachable enemies) and the better weapons felt completely tacked-on with none of the complexity of the hand-to-hand.

Feriluce

Apr 1, 2010
Heat149 said:
Ok, I'm gonna get this cleared up right now. No, its not technically the sequel, it's just made by the same developers, designer (Shin Megumi Tansei) and soundtrack artist(Shoji Meguro), who are working with the same company (atlus). I'm calling it a sequel because of all the similarities in the games and dev team. Ok, now for what I'm really trying to talk about.

The game I'm talking about it entitled "catherine", an rpg puzzler whose story brings back fond memories of my favorite rpg of all time, Persona 4, a game with crazy character development, and true RP elements. Persona 4 has easily sat in my #1 spot since I first played it at launch. Now, Catherine, (the reincarnation of christ through video game form), is taking us on a new mind bending murder mystery adventure.

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty pumped for this release, and I have been for a few months since I heard about this game, but here's whats keeping me puzzled. None of my friends who have played persona even know of this game. to be honest, I found it by fluke on amazon. Where's the website banner adds? Where's the youtube add campaign? Where's the bus stop posters? hell, has anyone even seen any adds for this game?

I'm wondering, have you heard of catherine? If so, where'd you hear about it?
Console exclusive. Not interesting by default.

cameron196789

Jan 17, 2011
Have you been on the escapist recently? Because there has been a lot of coverage of it here, you can check out some of the trailers here too.

Drakos.Amatras

Mar 23, 2011
Jaime_Wolf said:
Drakos.Amatras said:
It's Shin Megami Tensei.
To be fair, it's also a name in a language with different vowels, a different writing system, and multiple conflicting Romanization schemes in widespread use.
Japanese vowels "A (Ah)" and "E (Eh)" have been romanized the same in most Romaji methods, if not all (though I have yet to see any discrepancies). I can still understand the kind of confusion someone foreign to Japanese might have. I was just pointing out the correct name. ("Megumi" means "Bud/Sprout". I'm not sure if "Tansei" is even a word.)

A sure-fire way is to remember the title as "MegaTen".

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Im lookin forward to it, as I have said before, it better come to Australia + collectors edition!

IT BETTER *Raises fist*

Dark1Elder

May 16, 2011
Heat149 said:
Ok, I'm gonna get this cleared up right now. No, its not technically the sequel, it's just made by the same developers, designer (Shin Megumi Tansei) and soundtrack artist(Shoji Meguro), who are working with the same company (atlus). I'm calling it a sequel because of all the similarities in the games and dev team. Ok, now for what I'm really trying to talk about.

The game I'm talking about it entitled "catherine", an rpg puzzler whose story brings back fond memories of my favorite rpg of all time, Persona 4, a game with crazy character development, and true RP elements. Persona 4 has easily sat in my #1 spot since I first played it at launch. Now, Catherine, (the reincarnation of christ through video game form), is taking us on a new mind bending murder mystery adventure.

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty pumped for this release, and I have been for a few months since I heard about this game, but here's whats keeping me puzzled. None of my friends who have played persona even know of this game. to be honest, I found it by fluke on amazon. Where's the website banner adds? Where's the youtube add campaign? Where's the bus stop posters? hell, has anyone even seen any adds for this game?

I'm wondering, have you heard of catherine? If so, where'd you hear about it?
I've seen it to, and it does amaze me, it looks truly EPIC, and deserving of my time. But when i saw it, i was told it could only be IMPORTED from the amazing gaming land of JAPAN. and yes this game looks like it be worth the money to import all the way from JAPAN. how ever one of the reviews for it i saw stated it would have all the dialog in Japanese. and that i am not willing to spend LOTS of money on. a game that will look good and possibly have good story line, but yet not understand a bit of the story line cause i don't speak Japanese. So please tell me, that you have heard that they are going to release a version in ENGLISH. cause if so, i am SO dam grateful and i will run out to the closest E.B.GAMES and pre-order it A.S.A.P.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Catherine gets loads of coverage here. In fact, if it was coming over to the UK (maybe on day) I'd be parting money for that special edition with the boxer shorts and pizza box.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Off topic but still:

Could someone tell me a bit about Persona? I've heard a lot about them but never played them myself.

Are they for extreme-anime fans only? Or are they actually good on a general basis and not just for anime-lovers? What kind of gameplay do they feature? What platform are they on? Are there similar games I might have played?

Thanks for any answers. I'll google them a bit too for good measure.

Heat149

Mar 12, 2011
GothmogII said:
I have the sneaking suspicion Heat149 is an ad-bot, or at least someone being paid to advertise or gather research. All but two of his posts (counting a double post as one post a Jimquisition topic) are almost blatantly trying to sell a mentioned game/product/service in particular.

An endorsement for Bestbuy:

Heat149 said:
Just recently, a Best buy in my area closed down. I had just gotten paid the day the "going out of business" sale kicked off, so I figured I'd drop in and Check out the deals. None of the big ticket items had dropped much in price, so I headed into the gaming section. $120 and 14 games later, I've now got a shelf-full of RPG's, FPS's and Racing games just waiting to be played. I already had a few games from my collection that I hadn't beat, but now I'm just over-whelmed. It's not that I don't have the time or energy, I just have NO IDEA where to start.

Has anyone else found themselves in the same place I'm in now? Also, what do you think I should start with? (games are listed below)

Call of Juarez
Dark Sector
Demon's Souls
End War
Fallout: NV
The Fight
GranTurismo 5
Katamari Forever
Lost planet
MGS4
Need for speed: Pro street
Need for speed: Underground
Oblivion
Resistance 2

Spacechem:

SpaceChem. A puzzler that involves taking a chemical or molecule and processing it to mke another chemial or molecule. I know, it sounds like your grade 10 science class all over again, but it really is one of the most intruiging puzzlers out there for under 10$. Don't believe me, download the demo.

I do apologize to you Heat149 if this is not the case, but the language employed in many of your posts set a bell ringing in my head. I tend get this weird feeling when I think someone is trying to sell me something. I hope I'm mistaken, of course.
No, I am not an add bot. Im some what busy at the time being, but when I get home from work today, I'll post a picture of myself. If you want to look me up on face book my name is James Faucher.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Heat149 said:
GothmogII said:
I have the sneaking suspicion Heat149 is an ad-bot, or at least someone being paid to advertise or gather research. All but two of his posts (counting a double post as one post a Jimquisition topic) are almost blatantly trying to sell a mentioned game/product/service in particular.

An endorsement for Bestbuy:

Heat149 said:
Just recently, a Best buy in my area closed down. I had just gotten paid the day the "going out of business" sale kicked off, so I figured I'd drop in and Check out the deals. None of the big ticket items had dropped much in price, so I headed into the gaming section. $120 and 14 games later, I've now got a shelf-full of RPG's, FPS's and Racing games just waiting to be played. I already had a few games from my collection that I hadn't beat, but now I'm just over-whelmed. It's not that I don't have the time or energy, I just have NO IDEA where to start.

Has anyone else found themselves in the same place I'm in now? Also, what do you think I should start with? (games are listed below)

Call of Juarez
Dark Sector
Demon's Souls
End War
Fallout: NV
The Fight
GranTurismo 5
Katamari Forever
Lost planet
MGS4
Need for speed: Pro street
Need for speed: Underground
Oblivion
Resistance 2

Spacechem:

SpaceChem. A puzzler that involves taking a chemical or molecule and processing it to mke another chemial or molecule. I know, it sounds like your grade 10 science class all over again, but it really is one of the most intruiging puzzlers out there for under 10$. Don't believe me, download the demo.

I do apologize to you Heat149 if this is not the case, but the language employed in many of your posts set a bell ringing in my head. I tend get this weird feeling when I think someone is trying to sell me something. I hope I'm mistaken, of course.
No, I am not an add bot. Im some what busy at the time being, but when I get home from work today, I'll post a picture of myself. If you want to look me up on face book my name is James Faucher.
This is rather intriguing I'll have to admit. But I'm afraid that won't cut it. You'll have to send me a DNA sample and a set of fingerprints. You'll also need to submit to a Voight-Kampff test to determine whether or not you're a replicant. This is merely a formality, of course.

I am of course joking, though that doesn't necessarily mean you aren't here to observe. Welcome in any event. ;)

Captcha: Project Ernessis

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
This game outsold Marvel 3 lol. And even though the press coverage for this game is deserved it's still completely disproportionate to so many Japanese games that get mush less attention.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Heard about it? Everyone frellin' knows about it dude. It has gotten a ton of press coverage here in the states. I have been looking forward to it since it was announced. P4 was one of my favorite games of all time (I would rank it in my top 5), and it looks like a game I would enjoy regardless.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
itchcrotch said:
ever wonder exactly what they thought "final" meant back when they decided on "final fantasy"?
i have a theory; see "final" in the right context is a synonym for "ultimate", so with a thesaurus in one hand and a loose understanding of english in the other, could they have perhaps been thinking along the lines of "ultimate fantasy"?
It's because Final Fantasy was made when Square were going bankrupt as their swan song. Apparently they just stuck with the name.

Well I'm really looking forward to the game but I don't think it's a sequel to Persona 4. If it were it'd have either Persona or SMT on the title somewhere and it'd be more clearly related to the story.

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
And this isn't an "anime-sex game" it's an action-puzzle type game and the romance role playing is only a frame for the actual level design. Try the demo at least. Personally I would have already bought Catherine if their weren't a number of games that have just come out that I'm looking into.

Dick Johnson

May 2, 2011
itchcrotch said:
wow! i didn't know!
ever wonder exactly what they thought "final" meant back when they decided on "final fantasy"?
They were probably thinking "those silly westerners will never expect us to make a Final Fantasy 2! [through 20]"