The Shack - For the Love of All that is Holy...

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Shack - For the Love of All that is Holy...

The Shack is a reminder that terrible acting and bad dialogue can ruin an interesting premise.

Read Full Article

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
If nothing else, I hope this one's wildly successful so that we get more cracks at Christian movies doing this rather than whatever they were doing with Fireproof.

Christian cinema will get there one day... one... day... :(

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
I read the book. "If your kid gets raped and killed, it's okay, because it's part of My plan. It'll turn out okay, at some unspecified point in the future. Never mind that atrocities have been occurring for thousands of years."

Fuck your plan, fuck your book, and fuck you.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Thurston said:
I read the book. "If your kid gets raped and killed, it's okay, because it's part of My plan. It'll turn out okay, at some unspecified point in the future. Never mind that atrocities have been occurring for thousands of years."

Please please please don't let a bad movie speak for God Himself, that's not very fair. Also, the book's take is pretty questionable too.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
So is this a remake of that movie where people trick a guy they know who's kid died but it was a trick? But I guess this time its not a trick?

Cold Shiny said:
Thurston said:

Please please please don't let a bad movie speak for God Himself, that's not very fair. Also, the book's take is pretty questionable too.
I dont think you want to bring up "fair" to people who despise God and religion.

And uh, also I know of another "book that speaks for God" that we could criticize too.

But this is a movie review, not R&P.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Worthington is so bad in this movie that it makes you wonder if the only reason he still gets cast is because Avatar made close to $3 billion. ? So, you've got Worthington, whose character loses a child, playing the role as blandly as humanly possible, ?
Well, if there's one thing I never noticed in Sam Worthington, it's talent as an actor. But if he has to resort to take roles in dumb Christian movies, I guess his career is at a low point.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I think the best part of this movie is that I got to read in your review that you're excited for The Belko Experiment, which makes me feel like I finally found someone else excited to see The Belko Experiment...

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Marter said:
And that's not even getting into its "heretical" aspects, which don't exactly come from the Bible, and will be more disagreeable to its target audience than any of the boring dialogue. I mean, Jesus decries religion in this movie, so that's something - although, again, it's done in such a dull way that it's almost not even worth talking about.
Is there anything else particularly like that? I'm not sure if I'd call Jesus decrying "religion" as an organized concept heretical to evangelicals, the modern form of evangelicalism is basically one where "relationship to God" is completely personal and churches are largely unnecessary, or only there as community centers of Sunday Schools. This type of belief is very... convenient, allowing individuals to "find Jesus" however they like (ie they don't have to go to church every Sunday) and basically believe in whatever makes them feel good. Most of these "affirmation" movies (even if they're not made by Affirm) appeal to this crowd, not to Catholics or mainline Protestants who might consider "religion" and going to church to be a pretty important part of the whole thing.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
hentropy said:
Is there anything else particularly like that? I'm not sure if I'd call Jesus decrying "religion" as an organized concept heretical to evangelicals, the modern form of evangelicalism is basically one where "relationship to God" is completely personal and churches are largely unnecessary, or only there as community centers of Sunday Schools. This type of belief is very... convenient, allowing individuals to "find Jesus" however they like (ie they don't have to go to church every Sunday) and basically believe in whatever makes them feel good. Most of these "affirmation" movies (even if they're not made by Affirm) appeal to this crowd, not to Catholics or mainline Protestants who might consider "religion" and going to church to be a pretty important part of the whole thing.
Apparently the depiction of the Trinity is really bad (both in what they say and do and what they look like, ie. God if played by a black woman), and it doesn't accurately represent the theology of the Bible. Some Christian sites won't even sell the book - and I presume won't sell the movie once it's out on home video.

This [http://bpnews.net/48411/the-shack-film-stirs-debate-as-did-preceding-book] is probably a decent place to start, although Wiki (both the book and movie page) has some other links.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Marter said:
Apparently the depiction of the Trinity is really bad (both in what they say and do and what they look like, ie. God if played by a black woman), and it doesn't accurately represent the theology of the Bible. Some Christian sites won't even sell the book - and I presume won't sell the movie once it's out on home video.

This [http://bpnews.net/48411/the-shack-film-stirs-debate-as-did-preceding-book] is probably a decent place to start, although Wiki (both the book and movie page) has some other links.
Makes sense, though you can portray the Trinity any way and it will be heretical to someone. This [https://answersingenesis.org/reviews/movies/staying-outside-the-shack/] seems to go into the nitty gritty with it the most when it comes to an evangelical biblical literalist perspective (I never thought I'd go to Answers in Genesis for useful information). I guess this stuff interests me more than it rightfully should.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
So bad it wasn't even worth a reel of screenshots? Sounds about right. :p

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I'm sorry you weren't able to see The Belko Experiment. It was really good. Highly recommended for people who like social commentary mixed with gore.

I remember The Shack when I was working in a bookstore. We couldn't keep it on the shelf. It was so popular. I did get one person interested in this movie about a week ago. A person was wearing a shirt that reads "God is a black woman". I told her Octavia Spencer plays God in The Shack. At first, she didn't believe me. Eventually, she told that me she will have to check that out.

This movie and Beauty & The Beast were both "Skip" movies for me. I may see The Belko Experiment again. If there isn't anything else good to watch next week.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
008Zulu said:
The best Christian movie will always be Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Yes, actually.

OT: For two seconds of the trailer I thought it was a horror movie. What happened to his daughter?

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
Cold Shiny said:
Thurston said:

Any being worthy of the title of a "god" should be able to speak for themselves. Tell your god if he wants to speak to me, it should be within his power. I mean, shit, I can't stop CouponCentre from sending me email, how could I avoid a conversation with a cosmic power?

At least The Shackening attempts a tap-dance around evil and suffering. The Bible God revels in it. What explanation did God offer Job after putting him through the wringer? "Because I can."

[http://imgur.com/AXFyrNJ]

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Thurston said:
Cold Shiny said:
Thurston said:

Any being worthy of the title of a "god" should be able to speak for themselves. Tell your god if he wants to speak to me, it should be within his power. I mean, shit, I can't stop CouponCentre from sending me email, how could I avoid a conversation with a cosmic power?

At least The Shackening attempts a tap-dance around evil and suffering. The Bible God revels in it. What explanation did God offer Job after putting him through the wringer? "Because I can."

[http://imgur.com/AXFyrNJ]
No, you are right, I mispoke.

I have never in all my years ever seen someone get argued into the kingdom of Heaven.

I spoke out of turn because these crappy movies that misrepresent my faith annoy me more than I can even express.

As for the cute little infographic, people have been trying to destroy Christianity for literally thousands of years, either it has a hint of truth to it, or the human race is truly too far gone to save.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Dogma is the best Christian movie. It may shit on organized religion, but it makes even me empathetic to God. But uh...isnt that Ironic? ;D

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Thurston said:
This could've been the entire review, and it still would've been top-notch. :D

I'd go for 'Dogma'. It's rude and crude, but it fosters debate about (surprise) faith, organised religion, God...y'know, stuff a good religious movie is supposed to foster.