The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Sue for what, making a hard game? They as well go after Capcom and Koei Tecmo while they are at it!
Apparently the person believes that the devs have hidden an entirely different game in Elden Ring (with lore teasers and glimpses of cut content "proving" it) and is suing under the belief that they are being denied experiencing the entire game they paid for.

They also believe that data miners across the world are being paid off to keep quiet about it, because that totally makes sense, totally.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Apparently the person believes that the devs have hidden an entirely different game in Elden Ring (with lore teasers and glimpses of cut content "proving" it) and is suing under the belief that they are being denied experiencing the entire game they paid for.

They also believe that data miners across the world are being paid off to keep quiet about it, because that totally makes sense, totally.
I watch the video after commentating and this guy is dumb as fuck. Go after actual companies stealing from people and charging overpriced dlc. Don't go after people actually making great games and that's not screwing over their fan base.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok I'm back into it... moved into the new apt and set up the entertainment center yesterday.
My last thing was a disastrous series of attempts at Messmer. I looked up a guide and there's a lot of stuff I could/should have done first so I'm gonna do that- some tombs, the Rauh base area, etc. I am having so much trouble finding my way around that I'm relying heavily on a guide. Basically half the time time wandering on my own, half the time using a guide.
Yesterday I killed a big red bear and then a guy that had killed a red bear hahah. Good stuff. Despite my confusion with the areas I am enjoying it- I really don't understand the complain that the world is "empty"- it's just as "full" as the rest of the game. I'm killing stuff and dying and, for the most, it really is just more Elden Ring for all its glory and frustrating b.s. *shrug*

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Ok I'm back into it... moved into the new apt and set up the entertainment center yesterday.
My last thing was a disastrous series of attempts at Messmer. I looked up a guide and there's a lot of stuff I could/should have done first so I'm gonna do that- some tombs, the Rauh base area, etc. I am having so much trouble finding my way around that I'm relying heavily on a guide. Basically half the time time wandering on my own, half the time using a guide.
Yesterday I killed a big red bear and then a guy that had killed a red bear hahah. Good stuff. Despite my confusion with the areas I am enjoying it- I really don't understand the complain that the world is "empty"- it's just as "full" as the rest of the game. I'm killing stuff and dying and, for the most, it really is just more Elden Ring for all its glory and frustrating b.s. *shrug*
Those bear claws are pretty fun on a strength build. Another one I’ve read about but haven’t found yet is the golem fists, which can also be used as projectiles. Would be pretty neat with both equipped.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Those bear claws are pretty fun on a strength build. Another one I’ve read about but haven’t found yet is the golem fists, which can also be used as projectiles. Would be pretty neat with both equipped.
I don't think I got bear claws? I got a bear armor and gloves (that are just armor gloves not a weapon) and a bear hood. Since I don't have bear legs I'm assuming there is another bear enemy I gotta get to complete the set.

I am just terrible at using close-up weapons and do not enjoy it- chasing down the things flying around. I tried the kung-fu "weapon" and the various other cool looking things like the wolverine claws and that round saw blade thing that the first spinny enemy guy has and it's all just horrible to use. And yes this includes "play Elden Ring like Sekiro" physic ingredient that has found some fans. None of it is usable- when so enemies just fly around all over the place what is the use of having close-up tools? When I talk about Elden Ring b.s. this is a big example.

Nope.. just gonna stick with my smashy sticks. I just completed a catacomb full of imps, cannon imps, and tough spam-attack knight boss by tanking and anvil-smashing everything. I really don't understand how anyone is playing this game any other way. And yeah I've seen videos but I don't understand it.

Reactions: Xprimentyl
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I don't think I got bear claws? I got a bear armor and gloves (that are just armor gloves not a weapon) and a bear hood. Since I don't have bear legs I'm assuming there is another bear enemy I gotta get to complete the set.

I am just terrible at using close-up weapons and do not enjoy it- chasing down the things flying around. I tried the kung-fu "weapon" and the various other cool looking things like the wolverine claws and that round saw blade thing that the first spinny enemy guy has and it's all just horrible to use. And yes this includes "play Elden Ring like Sekiro" physic ingredient that has found some fans. None of it is usable- when so enemies just fly around all over the place what is the use of having close-up tools? When I talk about Elden Ring b.s. this is a big example.

Nope.. just gonna stick with my smashy sticks. I just completed a catacomb full of imps, cannon imps, and tough spam-attack knight boss by tanking and anvil-smashing everything. I really don't understand how anyone is playing this game any other way. And yeah I've seen videos but I don't understand it.
The red bear spirit boss in a mausoleum drops an iron rivet armor set and the bear claws.

The main problem with close up weapons is some attacks (Raptor’s Mist for instance) will whiff on larger bosses with weird hit boxes like the avatars. Most of the closeup (paired) weapons like fists and claws either have good bleed buildup or stagger, because they hit quickly. The bosses flying around all over the place seems kinda irrelevant since either way they need to be chased down, and the tradeoff with bigger sticks is they’re much slower.

Deflect tear works with pretty much anything and the timing is much more generous than parrying, but the trick is stacking the blocks. Like when a boss does a combo just tap L1 before each hit and then do an R2 guard counter on the last one. Works best with weapons that have higher guard counter damage but it’s strong either way. The thing even works against AoE attacks, but usually the boss isn’t close enough to hit for those.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Well, given that this is a 4chan user, the delusional rant seems fitting

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Finally got to spend some significant time with the DLC. Ouch, it IS tough! Found my first boss, the Blackgaol Knight, and with him being so near the start, I figured I had a chance, but nope; he's mopping the floor with me. Even using the Fingerprint Shield, he can chew through my whole stamina bar with a single combo. I tried staying away, but his two ranged attacks do serious damage too. I tried him about 6 times, and got him to half health ONCE, then he fucking healed. I'm giving up on him for now; gonna go try to find some more Scudutree fragments or something.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Finally got to spend some significant time with the DLC. Ouch, it IS tough! Found my first boss, the Blackgaol Knight, and with him being so near the start, I figured I had a chance, but nope; he's mopping the floor with me. Even using the Fingerprint Shield, he can chew through my whole stamina bar with a single combo. I tried staying away, but his two ranged attacks do serious damage too. I tried him about 6 times, and got him to half health ONCE, then he fucking healed. I'm giving up on him for now; gonna go try to find some more Scudutree fragments or something.
I'm well into the DLC and the Blacknight Gaol is the only so far I relied on summoning other players.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm well into the DLC and the Blacknight Gaol is the only so far I relied on summoning other players.
I don't see any summon signs near his fog gate. I did notice pretty quickly that I can't summon spirits, though. Fuggin' hell...

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
If you’re still using the ‘fang, I’m curious how well its skill works against this guy. I used the backhand blades and it seemed like the best tactic was getting in and out quick with attacks, which the bloodhound’s finesse excels at.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If you’re still using the ‘fang, I’m curious how well its skill works against this guy. I used the backhand blades and it seemed like the best tactic was getting in and out quick with attacks, which the bloodhound’s s finesse excels at.
Bloodhound's Fang worked fine; the Bloodhound Step special skill too was also kinda effective... in those rare moments when he wasn't B-lining it towards me at full speed closing the gap making the slow wind-up for the L2 attack a "risk vs reward", butthole-puckering moment.

But nah, I found a cheese strat on YouTube. Upgraded my Banished Knight's Greatsword to +25, and slapped the Giant Hunt ash of war on it. And get this, even though the strategy completely negated his ability to fight back, I STILL took damage when his body landed on me after I popped him into the air! Seriously, I actually had to HEAL once, and he managed to get one shot in before I could put him back into the cheese rhythm.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
@Old_Hunter_77 fresh on the ‘tube (slight spoilers on end boss stuff in particular if it matters) -

Ok after falling asleep halfway through around the time he started talking about smacking a wall for some reason, I may try the sword lance weapon since it looks cool but most importantly all the stats and items don't address my core problem with people describing deflecting hard tear as "Sekiro"- Sekiro works because the animations, enemy behavior, and sound all work in concert with the parry/deflect fight style. You can see in this video him using it against bosses and it doesn't actually look like he's deflecting anything. I'm just told that he is. It's... weird, and confusing, and annoying.

I'm still gonna try it against Messmer- I just don't understand how to dodge his attacks at all. But I'm also gonna do literally everything else I can before I try Messmer again.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Ok after falling asleep halfway through around the time he started talking about smacking a wall for some reason, I may try the sword lance weapon since it looks cool but most importantly all the stats and items don't address my core problem with people describing deflecting hard tear as "Sekiro"- Sekiro works because the animations, enemy behavior, and sound all work in concert with the parry/deflect fight style. You can see in this video him using it against bosses and it doesn't actually look like he's deflecting anything. I'm just told that he is. It's... weird, and confusing, and annoying.

I'm still gonna try it against Messmer- I just don't understand how to dodge his attacks at all. But I'm also gonna do literally everything else I can before I try Messmer again.
This is more to the point. There’s still some timing involved (ie can’t just hold block) but considering the offensive/defensive benefits it beats the hell out of trying to parry, especially when a shield isn’t even needed.