The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
So yesterday I defeated one of the worst bosses of all time, the Red Wolf of... whatever it's called, in the academy.
In a testament to the game's poor balancing this boss was barely an inconvenience for me. I had a lot more trouble with Rennala (until I gave up and came back with the right kind of spell, then she just fell over).

Your troubles with guys who can zoom around are unfortunately not over and will only get worse. The worst offenders are probably Fire Giant, Astel Naturalborn of the Void, and the Elden Beast who can not only move around a lot, but move well out of sorcery range. Maliketh is a different category of horrible because while it's very fast and was able to repeatedly one shot me, its arena isn't big enough for it to be completely out of reach. (I know a lot of people have trouble with that fight's first phase, Beast Clergyman, but because it's vulnerable to magic and I had Mimic Tear I had very little trouble killing it with big spells.) Malenia is in a similar category, but bringing in a couple of online mates to hold aggro while I yeeted big frost spells meant I didn't really "do" that fight.

My favourite bosses were Royal Knight Loretta and Loretta, Knight of the Haligtree which felt the most correctly balanced for a straight up fair fight against an Ash Spirit and Sorcery build.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Lol, siblings
You know I did mean to mention Sif but the post was getting too long...
Sif is one of the great boss fights of all time for me. The actual fight, yes, but the presentation, the lore, and that whole thing where it's sort of sad at the end... and the added hiccup of how you can get a different intro if you do some DLC trickery...

And here, it's just a stupid annoying thing in a dungeon.
Even worse is this same damn dog appears in that underground city making it impossible to freely explore that area. Ugh.

Yes, I enjoy complaining about Elden Ring while playing, I dunno what's wrong with me lol
In a testament to the game's poor balancing this boss was barely an inconvenience for me. I had a lot more trouble with Rennala (until I gave up and came back with the right kind of spell, then she just fell over).

Your troubles with guys who can zoom around are unfortunately not over and will only get worse. The worst offenders are probably Fire Giant, Astel Naturalborn of the Void, and the Elden Beast who can not only move around a lot, but move well out of sorcery range. Maliketh is a different category of horrible because while it's very fast and was able to repeatedly one shot me, its arena isn't big enough for it to be completely out of reach. (I know a lot of people have trouble with that fight's first phase, Beast Clergyman, but because it's vulnerable to magic and I had Mimic Tear I had very little trouble killing it with big spells.) Malenia is in a similar category, but bringing in a couple of online mates to hold aggro while I yeeted big frost spells meant I didn't really "do" that fight.

My favourite bosses were Royal Knight Loretta and Loretta, Knight of the Haligtree which felt the most correctly balanced for a straight up fair fight against an Ash Spirit and Sorcery build.
He’s already platinum’d the game so is already fully aware lol. Radagon is a glass canon. Really the only issue for melee is when Torrent isn’t available to keep up with him. Spirit summons do most of the grunt work for the one in the academy. Radagon’s pet, super pissed he abandoned him.

My favorite fights from a gameplay standpoint are pretty much any boss besides the main ones. Evergaol, phantoms, etc. The main bosses were mostly built around spectacle and using assists to balance out their bs.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yesterday I was fighting Renala and crying and lamenting about why I continue to punish myself with FromSoftware games especially Elden Ring lol

Most annoying was I really tried to play strategically and patiently, making sure to only call my summons in the 2nd phase when I wasn't getting blasted by her cannon, avoiding her summons and waiting them out, and only striking when I was able to position myself properly. And you know what happened, of course- she starts SPAMMING summons. Troll, warrior, dragon... troll, warrior, dragon. Sometimes even summoning one while another is still on the battlefield. This makes it literally impossible to wait out the summons.
So, here comes the cheese- my turn to spam some ash of war attack that hits like 6 times while praying my ghost wolves live long enough to distract her, and kamikazing my way through both of her dragons.
At least the game rewards you with the victory if you get killed at the same time.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I started a New Game +, which turns out to have been a mistake because the increase in enemy stats is nowhere near enough to compensate for my high level, and I can pick up even more levels by beating the bosses. At least it's given me an opportunity to try out Loretta's War Sickle, which isn't strictly viable compared to Moonveil, but is fun.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
And.. I'm done, I've had enough.
I did a respec but f'd it up and nerfed myself. And I trying to mess with Caelid right now, I can't even. I'm good. No mas.
(this was my replay, I already platinumed it, so whatever that's fine, I already played way more of it then I was going to)

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I started a New Game +, which turns out to have been a mistake because the increase in enemy stats is nowhere near enough to compensate for my high level, and I can pick up even more levels by beating the bosses. At least it's given me an opportunity to try out Loretta's War Sickle, which isn't strictly viable compared to Moonveil, but is fun.
I’ve been thinking of starting another NG for this reason. I made a point to stop leveling at 201, and even those Blackflame Kindred, like the one by Beastial Sanctum, is pretty trivial with my current melee build in Journey 3. It’s fun laying waste to everything and I’ll probably still use this character for the expansion, but otherwise the lack of challenge wears thin after a while.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
With very little resistance I have so far smashed my way through all the shardbearers you can fight before facing Morgott in the capital. I'm presently on my way to face Astel again, a boss I found fairly challenging my first time round. I doubt it will be so hard this time.

Reactions: Dalisclock

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
With very little resistance I have so far smashed my way through all the shardbearers you can fight before facing Morgott in the capital. I'm presently on my way to face Astel again, a boss I found fairly challenging my first time round. I doubt it will be so hard this time.
Mountaintops of the Giants offered slightly more challenge, with Commander Niall killing me twice and Fire Giant getting me once.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Mountaintops of the Giants offered slightly more challenge, with Commander Niall killing me twice and Fire Giant getting me once.
Crumbling Farum Azula is, finally, content that is about right in terms of challenge.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Crumbling Farum Azula is, finally, content that is about right in terms of challenge.
I beat Maliketh in one try. Fighting the final boss and Malenia went the exact same way as last time. (Elden Beast went down once I was able to attack it twice, Malenia I beat by summoning and throwing Dark Moons at her.)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Patch notes and details -

Hell yes to the Roar buff, especially if they keep it going into the expansion. My golden troll sentinel build will be waiting.