The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Journos who can't use the crutch of summoning online help to beat the game for them are docking points in their scores for this dlc. You love to see it! XD

Also apparently there's like 30 new armor sets and 8 new weapon types, dozens of actual new weapons and spells. This will be bananas. This content might as well be a new game.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
the true dark souls is gittin gd at not caring about less favourable opinions in review publications

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
the true dark souls is gittin gd at not caring about less favourable opinions in review publications
That's definitely true, that way you only really see the super bad ones that trend on twitter like that one lol.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I love this dude. Finally cracked 100K subs, about 900K shy of what he deserves, but glad he's getting his flowers in some regard.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Still stuck on the first required boss Margit months later. I really don't like how inbred this series became. Because they have used the same system again and again for fifteen years, because they refuse to reinvent, because the system actually has nothing more to offer, they now rely so much on these tricky animations. Prolonged windups, sudden quick attacks as soon as you attack, attacks that change direction at the last part of a second... I want to see the world that's behind the next fog gate, but also just don't care enough to figure this guy out, when I know there will be more. I'm embarrassed that I praised the clunky controls and camera as much as I did. Did I not fight the MGS guy here over it? Loved everything until Dark Souls II, beat those first three games many times. Beat Bloodborne (in 22 hours) and Dark Souls III, but could already see the rot. Quit Sekiro's final boss. Find the worlds rather depressing after so many games. How can you make a giant open world and only put silent hostiles in it? Makes the world feel so dead.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
How can you make a giant open world and only put silent hostiles in it? Makes the world feel so dead.
I actually leveled this same, well, not "complaint" so much as observation a while ago. I felt with FROM scaling up to this massive open world, there could have been areas outside of the Rountable Hold that were more overt reminders of the civilized world that's crumbling around us. Little villages or cities with non-hostile NPCs or something. I mean, someone non-violent had their wits about them when they built all these structures; where are they? Become Elden Lord so I can rule over a bunch of people and creatures who turn hostile at the mere sight of me? Not saying I wanted a Skyrim knockoff, just some places scattered throughout to remind me that I'm fighting for something. When I finally become Elden Lord, I can count the number of people who'd give a shit on one hand, and even that's assuming I didn't fuck up a questline, and they're now dead in a corner somewhere with glowing goodies for me to collect for my negligence...

But that's not FROM's M.O.; too "on the nose" when they tend to want you to figure the worlds out for yourself, and finish with as many questions as you started with.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Old_Hunter_77, I heard Yahtzee respond to your question during the live stream and it was hilarious! As you've seen, there is already backlash/fatiuge of Souls style games. It was never a matter of if, but when. I highly doubt there is going to be some "ultra backlash of 2026", when it's already started. Though I still don't see as this big apocalyptic event. People get upset and move on. If people start beating the shit out of each other over something silly, I am not even going to care. Besides, when a new thing/genre pops up, the whole process is going to start all over again. I have no patience for this, and I only focus what interests me.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
@Old_Hunter_77, I heard Yahtzee respond to your question during the live stream and it was hilarious! As you've seen, there is already backlash/fatiuge of Souls style games. It was never a matter of if, but when. I highly doubt there is going to be some "ultra backlash of 2026", when it's already started. Though I still don't see as this big apocalyptic event. People get upset and move on. If people start beating the shit out of each other over something silly, I am not even going to care. Besides, when a new thing/genre pops up, the whole process is going to start all over again. I have no patience for this, and I only focus what interests me.
Yeah- I exaggerate for effect. No apocolypse... more like a couple articles or videos that are like "Souls games are no longer good" hot takes and "Actually Souls games were always overrated" discourse and whatever.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Unlimited stamina when unseen not only stupid, but also like a cheat. Means you can sprint by unsuspecting patrol without having to pay stamina. Can't believe one of the fans told me Breath of the Wild should have unlimited stamina like in Elden Ring when you're not engaged in combat. It just makes the open world feel more wasteful.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Unlimited stamina when unseen not only stupid, but also like a cheat. Means you can sprint by unsuspecting patrol without having to pay stamina. Can't believe one of the fans told me Breath of the Wild should have unlimited stamina like in Elden Ring when you're not engaged in combat. It just makes the open world feel more wasteful.
Would it really not suck to run out of stamina in an open world too when just exploring too? Maybe they could’ve gotten rid of stamina altogether but that would’ve broken different builds. Like without a certain ash even certain enemies can deplete it when guarding with great shields. Nothing like in AotA dlc where I first-timed Manus just turtling up with the Artorias Greatshield.

I think these videos are starting to bandwagon a bit too much for clicks. The way the map is designed it’s harder than base game to even beeline to bosses, so players should be exploring more to find the Scadutree fragments that make the game easier. Pretty sure the wiki/Fextra has locations now. The furthest I’ve gone is the end boss of Ensis castle at a 3/4 split with the spirit ones. Apparently there’s 10 of them available before you even need to fight the first boss, which would make it a cakewalk. This is what Miyazaki meant by being able to tune your difficulty, but yeah it’s open world so still requires taking time to find stuff. Only played about three hours or so with a lot of ground I haven’t covered yet based on the first map fragment alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Since couldn't beat Margit, went south, came to Castle Morne. Found another try-hard shit boss. Series been serving the same consumers for too long. Inbred. Just circling around, rolling, rolling, rolling, as they do these spinning attacks, all the time. Sick of being hit as soon as I attack the enemy. They can hit so suddenly and swiftly, but my mentally challenged character can't even hold his sword in a ready stance for a quicker hit (or parry).

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Since couldn't beat Margit, went south, came to Castle Morne. Found another try-hard shit boss. Series been serving the same consumers for too long. Inbred. Just circling around, rolling, rolling, rolling, as they do these spinning attacks, all the time. Sick of being hit as soon as I attack the enemy. They can hit so suddenly and swiftly, but my mentally challenged character can't even hold his sword in a ready stance for a quicker hit (or parry).

What weapon are you using?