The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Can still tank -

The difficulty thing though, at least with DLC, is people forgetting/ignoring how the new scaling was implemented to prevent all the level 200 or whatever people from automatically steamrolling through it. Yup, gotta get out there and find the Scadutree fragments first, which kinda incentivizes a big part of the game.
I certainly enjoy seeing some of these builds but in that video he's fighting early bosses with late-game gear, which means NG+. So that's not really practical?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Then why did you reply in the first place? I said in that initial post that the character wastes time by not holding their weapon ready for a strike or party, then Hansel asked what weapon I'm using, then I told him that it doesn't matter (because they hold almost all weapons stupidly, even while locked on). If you don't understand what my pics have to do with this, you didn't pay attention. Meanwhile, enemy animations get faster and ever more sophisticated. They often hit as soon as I attack.
I replied because someone is bemoaning some presumed-if-trivial flaws in the fundamental mechanics of a game that millions have beaten using the same mechanics. I'm not one of those "GIT GUD" bros, but I AM someone who has struggled very much in this game, and has found paths to success by learning the game's rules. Has it been easy? No. But teachable moments abound, and I've progressed by being open to them, and adjusting my strategies.

I'm simply saying that if what you've tried is not working, i.e.: visual cues from how your character is holding the weapon, and how it behaves on input, then perhaps stop expecting the game to behave as you'd expect, and learn to play it as it behaves. If I hit R1, and the strike misses by a half second, I learn to hit R1 a half second earlier than I'd expect I should.

I'm a fast driver; I prefer to push the limits of the speed limit, and I've a dozen speeding tickets to prove it. But what I DON'T do is driver 55 mph in a school zone because I THINK everyone else should be driving faster. Imagine my dozen speeding tickets are deaths to an Elden Ring boss; now, imagine my beating that boss are case in point concessions to the rules of the road and my admittance that doing what I want won't necessarily net me what I want.

If your attacks aren't connecting, and the boss replies with an attack of their own, learn from that mistake. Adjust your timing. Anticipate. Hell, one of the most generous concessions I feel FROM gave us this time is the guard counter, where those of us who use shields can block an attack and respond with a counter attack for critical damage.

I want you to enjoy the game, especially if you insist on playing it. But if you're going to post here every time you hit a roadblock and blame the game? As someone who's in it with you, I can only offer the advice that you should look around: your complaints are extremely siloed to your experience, and as long as you're unwilling to adjust, or even TRY to adjust, your experience will not change.

Reactions: Worgen and BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
No. I'm not gonna adapt before I criticize. I won't enable them. The fights became this absurd because each time the loudest fans defended it with their monocled git gud crap, driving the developer to double down on stamina, weirdness and speed until we got to where we are now. The system wasn't built for this. It's clunky, old and inefficient. Look around; seems like many fans have finally had enough. Most of the Elden Ring players didn't care before FS went open world.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I certainly enjoy seeing some of these builds but in that video he's fighting early bosses with late-game gear, which means NG+. So that's not really practical?
He goes through all Remembrance bosses in these videos, but yeah in terms of effectiveness late game_NG+ is going to be optimal. It’s pretty quick and easy to get started on it though aside from the Ironjar aromatic recipe which is in Altus.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
No. I'm not gonna adapt before I criticize. I won't enable them. The fights became this absurd because each time the fans defended it with their monocled git gud crap, driving the developer to double down on stamina, weirdness and speed until we got to where we are now. The system wasn't built for this. It's clunky and inefficient. Look around; seems like many fans have finally had enough.
Also look above at the no hit Rellana clip. The framework is old as hell and certainly in need of a refresh at least, but it still works. The thing about this game is (more than ever because of how open ended it is), it can be either the easiet game FROM has ever made or the hardest, depending on how the player chooses to devote their time spent with it. The difficulty/skill ceiling has risen to the point most people won’t bother with the kind of basic approaches that might’ve carried them through the older games.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
No. I'm not gonna adapt before I criticize. I won't enable them. The fights became this absurd because each time the loudest fans defended it with their monocled git gud crap, driving the developer to double down on stamina, weirdness and speed until we got to where we are now. The system wasn't built for this. It's clunky, old and inefficient. Look around; seems like many fans have finally had enough. Most of the Elden Ring players didn't care before FS went open world.
Then just summon in another player and hang back? What is the issue here? Elden Ring gives you all the tools to beat any boss, even if that tool is another player.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
No. I'm not gonna adapt before I criticize.
That is the silliest, most entitled thing I've ever read. Do you hear yourself? You blame the thing for not being what you think the thing should be. I don't even know how to engage with that mindset. I can't lick a toilet seat at restaurant, then write a scathing review on Yelp about how terrible the food is.

Try it the game's way, or quit the game. There is no redemption for it ahead in your eyes if it's "your way or the highway" as it only get's "worse," i.e.: Elden Ring at no point adapts to a player whose expectations and processes are so rigid and immutable that their dissatisfaction might be somehow be turned around. Enemies get faster, have more health, deal more damage, have more gimmicks, etc.; everything you're complaining about here gets "worse." Try (<- not to be confused with "git gud") or quit playing the game.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Then just summon in another player and hang back? What is the issue here? Elden Ring gives you all the tools to beat any boss, even if that tool is another player.
I have summoned once. It reminded me that cooperation sucks. Mangis or whatever the first mandatory boss's name is kept getting stun-locked as he couldn't deal with me at the rear while fighting the summoned in front. Was glad we lost, because game's worthless with allies. The AI is too simplistic to fight more than one competently.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I have summoned once. It reminded me that cooperation sucks. Mangis or whatever the first mandatory boss's name is kept getting stun-locked as he couldn't deal with me at the rear while fighting the summoned in front. Was glad we lost, because game's worthless with allies. The AI is too simplistic to fight more than one competently.
Then summon someone else, or an npc and use an ashes.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

This could either me the most amazing thing ever, or the worst of the shits. Given how Miyazaki loves to write the lore of his games as cryptic as possible (exception of armored core and sekiro), the plot would be the make-or-break element for the movie.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This could either me the most amazing thing ever, or the worst of the shits. Given how Miyazaki loves to write the lore of his games as cryptic as possible (exception of armored core and sekiro), the plot would be the make-or-break element for the movie.
I don't see how the souls games could make a good movie. So much of what makes them great is the experience and with a movie, you only get half of that at best. I can see Armored Core working better, maybe even Sekiro, but the only way I could see a souls game making a good movie is if it was super experimental and weird and even that is a long shot.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I don't see how the souls games could make a good movie. So much of what makes them great is the experience and with a movie, you only get half of that at best. I can see Armored Core working better, maybe even Sekiro, but the only way I could see a souls game making a good movie is if it was super experimental and weird and even that is a long shot.
Plus it’d need really expensive, time consuming CGI to do environments, creatures and most bosses justice, making even a mix with live action NPCs also a long shot. There would need to be a limit on how much lore to use, and tying it together into something that an audience could follow let alone hold their attention would be a massive undertaking. I think Vaati’s lore videos are really about the closest we’ll get to a format that would need to be expanded upon with studio level production values.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
@hanselthecaretaker2 I have not seen the video yet. Nor have I played this game. So I have no actual input in this.

Yeah it would be nice to see melee not have to rely on them somehow, when you need to dodge at least. It’s been that way since the beginning aside from Sekiro though. I think that kinda proves the defense needs to have a more tactile element to it. In Elden Ring you can use shields really effectively with different ashes and affinities, which negate the need for iframes on defense. They are also mostly irrelevant for ranged spellcasters too as long as the enemy doesn’t close the gap or spam AoE attacks.

Reactions: BrawlMan