The Sims 4 Rated Adults-Only In Russia Over Same-Sex Relationships

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Zontar said:
Funny, I don't remember anyone other then Germans being outraged whenever I hear about someone trying to change the censorship laws in Germany. Then again I'm not from Europe, so what I consider international may not be the same as that of a continent the size of my country.
You can't be serious. Please show me where you're hearing about Israel or most of Eastern Europe being in full support of Germany unbanning Nazi regalia. Even for the US et.al. you'd have to browse some pretty dubious message boards to conclude that the majority would support it. For someone who supposedly keeps up with what's going on in this world that's a fairly silly statement to make.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Staskala said:
Zontar said:
Funny, I don't remember anyone other then Germans being outraged whenever I hear about someone trying to change the censorship laws in Germany. Then again I'm not from Europe, so what I consider international may not be the same as that of a continent the size of my country.
You can't be serious. Please show me where you're hearing about Israel or most of Eastern Europe being in full support of Germany unbanning Nazi regalia. Even for the US et.al. you'd have to browse some pretty dubious message boards to conclude that the majority would support it. For someone who supposedly keeps up with what's going on in this world that's a fairly silly statement to make.
Wow, I never said or even implied that there would be active support anywhere, only that I haven't seen any active opposition to it outside of Germany itself. It's not a silly statement to make given that most people probably wouldn't care at all unless the media where to try and spin it in some way (or more likely Russia would try and spin it some way and idiots actually bought into it). I mean really, there is a place where you can be between actively supporting something and actively opposing it.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Oh Russia;D I won't be inviting you to the Future party with all the other countries that will be there.
Shame, I here France will be bringing his PS4.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I bet Putin plays a same sex couple in Sims games.

OT; Isn't the ratings system in Russia pretty much just for show anyway?

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
I didn't even know they were making a Sims 4. Can't say I'm excited about it, though. Too expensive with all the expansions.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Chaosritter said:
Unlike other "civilized" countries, Russia has the decency to make games that are considered harmful to minors by the officials availble to adults. I don't see the problem here.
How about the fact that being attracted to the same sex is considered harmful to minors by the officals? I can think of several things that makes that a problem.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
The Russian authorities are just trying to preserve the sovereignty of the Motherland; after all, it was a gay Tetris scare that caused the collapse of the Soviet Union....

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Zontar said:
RealRT said:
Zontar said:
RealRT said:
Zontar said:
RealRT said:
And murdering their own people is more of Ukraine's thing now.
Oh, you're one of THOSE people. No need to argue anymore, there is no debate to be had.
One of WHAT people? Realists?
You know, today I saw three videos from Ukraine. The first had a sniper shoot unarmed civilians for no reason.
The second had unarmed civilians try and stop a tank.
The third had a Ukrainian governor praise Hitler and people booing at him.

Tell me how wrong I am. Do so by all means.
Wow, you actually trust random videos on Youtube? You probably think RussiaToday is a credible source. Random sniper shooting unarmed civilians? Civilians trying to stop a tank? The fact that mainstream Russian media isn't blasting that into their megaphones shows either they are fake or the footage probably came from the occupied territory.
Actually that was all over the evening news. They are very much blasting it into their megaphones. Also, what occupied territory?
And a Ukrainian governor praising Hitler? If that wasn't so laughably fake (especially given the fact that the fascist extreme right in Ukraine is openly supporting the Russians, something the government of occupied Crimea is a shining example of) I'd actually ask weather or not you actually believed that. But this is the internet, people will believe anything, be it that Alex Jones isn't insane or that Russia is somehow the good guy in the Ukrainian crisis (which literally boils down to "do you hate America" when it comes to which useful idiots seem to be taking, since a good 90% of them seem to use the logic of "support anyone but America" instead of "support the Russian Empire". I'll give you this, you're one of the few I've seen genuinely supporting them because you think they are in the right, even if they are by any metric not so. Only way to ruin it all is if you where Russian, since that would at least mean there is a logical reason for supporting them).
And it's laughably fake because?..
The fascist extreme in the Ukraine - or the so-called Banderovtsy, most prevalent in the Western Ukraine - is and always was as Russian-hating as it gets. And they are in the control of the government now. Multiply that by the number of ethnic Russians and Russian-speaking Ukrainian citizens and you get what you get - a bloody civil war.
Yeah, I am. And if you trust what the American media is telling you about the Ukraine situation... well, you might as well read about the 2008 conflict, it was basically the same thing, only on a smaller scale.
I trust American news about as much as I trust Russian news, it's the fact that outside of Russia no one is reporting it from the Russia perspective that's telling. Hell, not even China is reporting it like Russia is the good guy, THAT tells you more about who's right and wrong in this then Russian or American news could. And I'm glad you bring up the 2008 invasion of Georgia, since it shows you probably do have some recollection of history. Funny how back then investigations by the Swedes found Russia the guilty party, but who needs facts like that and the fact that the only reason things escalated in Ukraine at all is because of an illegal invasion that was unnecessary for its own stated cause and actually made the thing it claimed to be trying to prevent the more likely to happen, all while making Russia's recession get all the worst because of the economic sanctions put into place? It's not like that bastard needs things to be good in Russia, what REALLY drums up support for a dictatorship is an external enemy, so of COURSE the EU and US are suddenly the worst people on the planet. Never mind the fact that Russia's invasion of Ukraine was unprovoked and is in no ones interest (least of all Russia's given the economic drain it is, just like the colonies in occupied Georgia and Moldova), and never mind the fact that there wasn't nearly as much violence until Russia invaded part of the country and started sending in provocateurs into other parts, and never mind the fact they killed two dozen people in Ossetia, probably in a failed attempt to provoke a reaction which would "justify" (used loosely since no one would fall for it) invading THAT part of the country as well (after all, what better way to reconnect to their lost colony then to create a land bridge to it?).

I can understand supporting your regime, but don't pretend you're in the right.
Yeah, that "invasion" of Georgia that saved countless lives of Abkhazians and South Ossetians from genocide. Meanwhile this is the guy West was supporting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqSIXIwGLhI A guy who were later taken away from his job and his decisions are being undone. Meanwhile Abkhazians and South Ossetians are quite happy to be independent - yeah, they are on their own now.
There was no invasion. Crimea wanted in. They asked us to join. You know, unlike you, I actually spoken to people from there. The guy I spoke to said that he and everybody he knows vote for Russia. And now they are killing their own citizens - not "provocateurs", just common folk not to give them the right to choose.
We didn't meddle into Ukrainian crisis until the end of Olympics. A crisis EU provoked in the first place. They forced off the legitimate president and took Tymoshenko, a nationalist, out of jail to rule. And now, like six years ago, west supports murderers and madmen.
I am right. And judging by your arguments ("'tis just fake") you just don't want to get out of your comfort zone.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Cecilo said:
I suppose it makes sense. Can't run a war machine with all the men not paired up with women. Could run out of soldiers for the grinder.

(For those that couldn't tell, it wasn't a serious statement)
So you might not have heard of this teensy little civilization called Rome. Or Sparta. As a matter of fact, homosexuality was very acceptable in ancient Greece and Rome, though it was still a bit more complicated than "Screw whoever you want, we don't really care."

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
RealRT said:
I am right. And judging by your arguments ("'tis just fake") you just don't want to get out of your comfort zone.
No, you are demonstrably wrong in every sense of the word, and the only reason there is no reason to argue is the same reason there is no reason to argue with a North Korean: It's too late for someone to get threw the indoctrination. The only difference is that it's fascist instead of communist.

I just wonder what the Russian media will be saying after the elections this month which are happening everywhere except the occupied territories.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Zontar said:
How is that size comment relevant, by the way? Really, why the dismissive attitude against anything not American? And even more ironically, later on you go on to talk about indoctrination...

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Zontar said:
RealRT said:
No, you are demonstrably wrong in every sense of the word, and the only reason there is no reason to argue is the same reason there is no reason to argue with a North Korean: It's too late for someone to get threw the indoctrination. The only difference is that it's fascist instead of communist.

I just wonder what the Russian media will be saying after the elections this month which are happening everywhere except the occupied territories.
You're the one indoctrinated here. Keep believing in your neo-Cold War BS all you want, I'm done here.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
RealRT said:
You're the one indoctrinated here. Keep believing in your neo-Cold War BS all you want, I'm done here.
Well, they may have taught you to believe everything they say, but at least you know when to quit. This argument would accomplish nothing in the long run anyway.
Vegosiux said:
Zontar said:
How is that size comment relevant, by the way? Really, why the dismissive attitude against anything not American? And even more ironically, later on you go on to talk about indoctrination...
What I meant was that is someone in, say, the Netherlands, Denmark or Austria takes offense to something in Germany, I don't really consider that to be "international" given the small distance geographically and interconnected government agreements brought about by the EU. I think of it more as a regional thing. Though my point about not having any knowledge about those outside Germany itself having a problem with changing the censorship laws hasn't changed.

Also, who said anything about me being American?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Zontar said:
RealRT said:
Well, they may have taught you to believe everything they say, but at least you know when to quit. This argument would accomplish nothing in the long run anyway.
They didn't "teach" me anything. I'm not a mindless drone and I do have my doubts about Russia's position in this whole thing, just as I think that the law because of which Sims 4 has 18+ slapped on it here is needless and stupid. At the same time, I do believe that people are dying because of Banderovtsy and that the Western media is too quick to present Russia as a ruthless agressor just to have a bad guy on their hands. And I want to have faith in my homeland, especially considering how yesterday was the most (the only) patriotic holiday of the whole year, an anniversary of the Victory Day.
And let it be shock to you, but people, be they from the US or from Russia are generally the same. We don't have troops marching the streets every day or people getting taken from their homes or ultra-patriotic programming or whatever dystopian crap you might imagine there. Yeah. We had a stupid regime awhile ago. Guess what, it's over and it was over for longer than I live. And even during that regime, most of the crap happened when the ol' Papa Moustache was alive and was dropped soon after he dropped.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
RealRT said:
[They didn't "teach" me anything. I'm not a mindless drone and I do have my doubts about Russia's position in this whole thing, just as I think that the law because of which Sims 4 has 18+ slapped on it here is needless and stupid. At the same time, I do believe that people are dying because of Banderovtsy and that the Western media is too quick to present Russia as a ruthless agressor just to have a bad guy on their hands. And I want to have faith in my homeland, especially considering how yesterday was the most (the only) patriotic holiday of the whole year, an anniversary of the Victory Day.
And let it be shock to you, but people, be they from the US or from Russia are generally the same. We don't have troops marching the streets every day or people getting taken from their homes or ultra-patriotic programming or whatever dystopian crap you might imagine there. Yeah. We had a stupid regime awhile ago. Guess what, it's over and it was over for longer than I live. And even during that regime, most of the crap happened when the ol' Papa Moustache was alive and was dropped soon after he dropped.
I didn't think they had any of those things anymore, just that police and the government have a bad tendency to look the other was when a crime is happening against someone (usually a journalist) critical of the regime. But in the Ukraine Crisis, I'm not sure if you noticed but there wasn't nearly as much violence before the invasion as there was after, and that what violence there is is severally overplayed by the Russian media (and often the blame shifted to the victim). It's a long and complicated issue, but at the end of the day the question is who's sphere of influence should Ukraine be in, the one they voted for (and kicked out a sitting president for moving away from it after he was elected on a platform of joining them) or the one which invaded them? Might be an oversimplification, but it also isn't wrong in describing the issue.

Sad thing is, the tragedy of Russia continues either way. Escaping absolute monarchy only to fall into totalitarian communism, then escaping that only to fall into Oligarchical control. Genuinely sad when I think about it, and I only hope that Putin and the Oligarchs stay awake at night with fear that what has happened to so many other dictators will happen to them.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Zontar said:
RealRT said:
[They didn't "teach" me anything. I'm not a mindless drone and I do have my doubts about Russia's position in this whole thing, just as I think that the law because of which Sims 4 has 18+ slapped on it here is needless and stupid. At the same time, I do believe that people are dying because of Banderovtsy and that the Western media is too quick to present Russia as a ruthless agressor just to have a bad guy on their hands. And I want to have faith in my homeland, especially considering how yesterday was the most (the only) patriotic holiday of the whole year, an anniversary of the Victory Day.
I didn't think they had any of those things anymore, just that police and the government have a bad tendency to look the other was when a crime is happening against someone (usually a journalist) critical of the regime. But in the Ukraine Crisis, I'm not sure if you noticed but there wasn't nearly as much violence before the invasion as there was after, and that what violence there is is severally overplayed by the Russian media (and often the blame shifted to the victim). It's a long and complicated issue, but at the end of the day the question is who's sphere of influence should Ukraine be in, the one they voted for (and kicked out a sitting president for moving away from it after he was elected on a platform of joining them) or the one which invaded them? Might be an oversimplification, but it also isn't wrong in describing the issue.

Sad thing is, the tragedy of Russia continues either way. Escaping absolute monarchy only to fall into totalitarian communism, then escaping that only to fall into Oligarchical control. Genuinely sad when I think about it, and I only hope that Putin and the Oligarchs stay awake at night with fear that what has happened to so many other dictators will happen to them.
If I'm remembering correctly, the president in question found the contract proposed by EU to be practically an instruction to get on all fours and prepare for penetration and that's why he refused it. It's not an invasion if they want it (and I already told you about the citizen of Crimea I spoke to and all the jazz) and note how it's calm and happy in the "invaded" territory. That being said, do I personally want the other regions who want their own referendums (and are being killed for it) to follow Crimea? No, for various reasons, including but not limited to Crimea being an exception due to never being Ukraine's territory until Khruschev said so. You are saying that western media aren't underplaying the violence and are giving the "legitimate" government the exact amount of blame they deserve? And "shifting the blame on the victim"? No, far as I can tell, they always have the correct victim, that is the people of Ukraine.
And before that we had ruthless emperors like Nikolai I and before that the Time of Troubles and before that was Ivan the Terrible and before that was Mongol-Tatar yoke. We just can't catch a break, can we?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
RealRT said:
And before that we had ruthless emperors like Nikolai I and before that the Time of Troubles and before that was Ivan the Terrible and before that was Mongol-Tatar yoke. We just can't catch a break, can we?
Nope, the hands fate deals us is very uneven. Could be worst though, you could ended up with the hand North Korea was dealt: centuries of foreign rule by 1 of 3 powers which got quite violent at times, only to end up on the wrong side of an arbitrary line, then coming close to finally getting a break with UN forces entering the country only for China to kick them out. Now look at them and compare then to their southern neighbours, who went threw everything they did except for the fact that, when UN forces came to their rescue, it actually worked for them.

Compare all that to,, say, Iceland. What has Iceland gone threw? A few raids by Turkish sailors centuries ago and a peaceful occupation by the British during the war? That's all I can recall. No wonder they have no official military.

gagagaga

Aug 17, 2013
Zontar said:
I also don't see how it's smug of Imperioratorex Caprae to use the term "civilized nations" when, despite culture being relative, using the terms "civilized" and "primitive" are, despite being politically incorrect, accurate. It's not as if they ONLY banned the promotion of equality, they've banned the very existence of it. For a country which openly calls itself superior to all others (I'm not even joking, Russia's state media uses the term "super-modern" as the vague catch-all term for what makes Russia different from everyone) calling them out on the fact they've banned a segment of the population just for existing is fully called for. (I'd like to know what experience you have with the equal rights movement to try and justify Russia doing this though. Must be something pretty traumatic)
Oh, did they? Because I remember Putin saying that they can do what they like in private, but not glorify it in public.

The russians simply remember the actual meaning of tolerance: merely enduring something they do not approve of. They have drawn the line of how much they're willing to tolerate, and that's it. It's a western thing to believe that tolerance equals accepting, embracing and promoting every little shit there is.

And I consider his attitude towards Russia in this regard being smug since America has its own share of discrimination, censorship and witch hunting to take care of first before calling others "uncivilized" for doing the same.
Casual Shinji said:
That's indeed a very civilized way of saying 'fuck the gays'.

The Russian government and police have a long and proud history of turning a blind eye to groups of radicals that kill journalists who question Moscow, as well as beating up and raping gay men and women. So don't pretend like this is just some innocent little law.
And the american police has a history of turning a blind eye to racists within its own ranks and on the streets and the german police is being ridiculed for showing no mercy to fare dodgers, speedsters and polluters while silently enduring being spit on and taunted by "non-western immigrants" because they're too afraid of being outnumbered within minutes (at least in major cities) and getting into trouble because these folks love accusing random people of racism when they're being arrested.

Hell, we have a public school in Berlin that was taken over by illegal immigrants over a year ago (they claim to be refugees, but they surely don't act like it). It's not only a haven for all sorts of criminals, but also a hub for drugs and stolen goods, violence and prostitution. Despite showing up daily, the police does not have the balls to enter the building anymore. And to make things even better: the city pays for electricity, water and heat in this shithole because everyone's too afraid of being a called a racist to put an end to this siege or simply let them dwell in their cold squat without water and electricity because they're not entitled to anything. It's a great example of political correctness going horribly wrong.

You see, police and governments everywhere have their flaws. May it be turning a blind eye to certain situations or being too afraid of doing something that might be politically incorrect in any way to be of any use.
First of all, how the hell is just depicting same-sex relationships "glorifying"? Gay people exist. Bisexuals exist. The gay relationships in The Sims are exactly the same as the heterosexual ones. I fail to see how that is "glorifying" anything.

Second, the fact that the German and American police have problems does not excuse the conduct of their Russian counterparts.