The Sims 4 Rated Adults-Only In Russia Over Same-Sex Relationships

Mad World

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
795
0
1
Country
Canada
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I'm surprised they didn't just ban the game outright given that Russia doesn't seem to give a rats ass about the views of the more, and I hate to use this term, civilized nations out there.
I agree (with the first part, anyway). I'm surprised that they are permitting that game being sold at all.

Anyway, why do you imply that Russia isn't civilized?
 

RealRT

New member
Feb 28, 2014
1,058
0
0
Zontar said:
RealRT said:
And before that we had ruthless emperors like Nikolai I and before that the Time of Troubles and before that was Ivan the Terrible and before that was Mongol-Tatar yoke. We just can't catch a break, can we?
Nope, the hands fate deals us is very uneven. Could be worst though, you could ended up with the hand North Korea was dealt: centuries of foreign rule by 1 of 3 powers which got quite violent at times, only to end up on the wrong side of an arbitrary line, then coming close to finally getting a break with UN forces entering the country only for China to kick them out. Now look at them and compare then to their southern neighbours, who went threw everything they did except for the fact that, when UN forces came to their rescue, it actually worked for them.

Compare all that to,, say, Iceland. What has Iceland gone threw? A few raids by Turkish sailors centuries ago and a peaceful occupation by the British during the war? That's all I can recall. No wonder they have no official military.
Well, on the other side of the coin, we fare much better than poor souls in Africa and the like. Boy do those guys need some help and fast. Welp, guess we just gotta hope for the best and prepare for the worst, as we always do.
 

Rozalia1

New member
Mar 1, 2014
1,095
0
0
Seems...pretty reasonable actually. Like seriously many people here are talking like they straight up banned it.
Honestly I commend the fact they didn't ban it, makes them a lot more reasonable than the USA, UK, and Germany.
 
Nov 28, 2007
10,686
0
0
Rozalia1 said:
Seems...pretty reasonable actually. Like seriously many people here are talking like they straight up banned it.
Honestly I commend the fact they didn't ban it, makes them a lot more reasonable than the USA, UK, and Germany.
You mean the same US and UK that are going to rate this T for Teen/12+, like they did with Sims 3? The same Germany that rated Sims 3 6+? Yeah, totally reasonable.
 

Rozalia1

New member
Mar 1, 2014
1,095
0
0
thebobmaster said:
Rozalia1 said:
Seems...pretty reasonable actually. Like seriously many people here are talking like they straight up banned it.
Honestly I commend the fact they didn't ban it, makes them a lot more reasonable than the USA, UK, and Germany.
You mean the same US and UK that are going to rate this T for Teen/12+, like they did with Sims 3? The same Germany that rated Sims 3 6+? Yeah, totally reasonable.
C'mon now, you know what I was saying with that. I was talking of cases like Rules of Rose of course.
Though if you want more than you should know the "civilised" countries as someone put it also hand out 18 ratings for minor things.
 
Nov 28, 2007
10,686
0
0
Rozalia1 said:
thebobmaster said:
Rozalia1 said:
Seems...pretty reasonable actually. Like seriously many people here are talking like they straight up banned it.
Honestly I commend the fact they didn't ban it, makes them a lot more reasonable than the USA, UK, and Germany.
You mean the same US and UK that are going to rate this T for Teen/12+, like they did with Sims 3? The same Germany that rated Sims 3 6+? Yeah, totally reasonable.
C'mon now, you know what I was saying with that. I was talking of cases like Rules of Rose of course.
Though if you want more than you should know the "civilised" countries as someone put it also hand out 18 ratings for minor things.
Just to explain something, the US doesn't actually ban anything. If something gets rated AO, it generally doesn't get sold, but it's not the government doing it. It is the stores refusing to sell them, and the console makers refusing to host AO games. Same with NC-17 movies, but replacing "stores" with "theaters", and "console makers" with "distributors".

And I agree, sometimes the 18 rating is slapped down ridiculously. "Video nasties" is the phrase that comes to mind for me, but as an American, I realize that others could have better frames of reference due to local knowledge. But you honestly see it as "reasonable" for a game to automatically be rated 18/AO just because two ladies can get it on?
 

Rozalia1

New member
Mar 1, 2014
1,095
0
0
thebobmaster said:
Rozalia1 said:
thebobmaster said:
Rozalia1 said:
Seems...pretty reasonable actually. Like seriously many people here are talking like they straight up banned it.
Honestly I commend the fact they didn't ban it, makes them a lot more reasonable than the USA, UK, and Germany.
You mean the same US and UK that are going to rate this T for Teen/12+, like they did with Sims 3? The same Germany that rated Sims 3 6+? Yeah, totally reasonable.
C'mon now, you know what I was saying with that. I was talking of cases like Rules of Rose of course.
Though if you want more than you should know the "civilised" countries as someone put it also hand out 18 ratings for minor things.
Just to explain something, the US doesn't actually ban anything. If something gets rated AO, it generally doesn't get sold, but it's not the government doing it. It is the stores refusing to sell them, and the console makers refusing to host AO games. Same with NC-17 movies, but replacing "stores" with "theaters", and "console makers" with "distributors".

And I agree, sometimes the 18 rating is slapped down ridiculously. "Video nasties" is the phrase that comes to mind for me, but as an American, I realize that others could have better frames of reference due to local knowledge. But you honestly see it as "reasonable" for a game to automatically be rated 18/AO just because two ladies can get it on?
There is an influence regardless in the US I would assume, now in the case of UK/Germany/France I'm pretty sure they have indeed straight up banned certain games.

When the alternative is a straight up ban, yeah its reasonable.
 
Nov 28, 2007
10,686
0
0
Rozalia1 said:
thebobmaster said:
Rozalia1 said:
thebobmaster said:
Rozalia1 said:
Seems...pretty reasonable actually. Like seriously many people here are talking like they straight up banned it.
Honestly I commend the fact they didn't ban it, makes them a lot more reasonable than the USA, UK, and Germany.
You mean the same US and UK that are going to rate this T for Teen/12+, like they did with Sims 3? The same Germany that rated Sims 3 6+? Yeah, totally reasonable.
C'mon now, you know what I was saying with that. I was talking of cases like Rules of Rose of course.
Though if you want more than you should know the "civilised" countries as someone put it also hand out 18 ratings for minor things.
Just to explain something, the US doesn't actually ban anything. If something gets rated AO, it generally doesn't get sold, but it's not the government doing it. It is the stores refusing to sell them, and the console makers refusing to host AO games. Same with NC-17 movies, but replacing "stores" with "theaters", and "console makers" with "distributors".

And I agree, sometimes the 18 rating is slapped down ridiculously. "Video nasties" is the phrase that comes to mind for me, but as an American, I realize that others could have better frames of reference due to local knowledge. But you honestly see it as "reasonable" for a game to automatically be rated 18/AO just because two ladies can get it on?
There is an influence regardless in the US I would assume, now in the case of UK/Germany/France I'm pretty sure they have indeed straight up banned certain games.

When the alternative is a straight up ban, yeah its reasonable.
I'd say that the alternative would have been "giving the game the same rating you gave the last game in the series, since nothing has changed content-wise". If they had made the relationships more explicit, I might be able to understand, or if they had just added them. But they've gone from saying the game is fit for 12-year-olds (Sims 3 rating), to saying that it's only fit for adults (Sims 4). Nothing has changed except a crackdown on homosexual relationships. How is that not a fucked up thing?