The single most destructive phrase...

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
My absolute go-to-war-over-it phrase is, 'someone else always has it worse than you.'

Oh, fair enough then, I'll stop being upset over losing a leg then, because someone else on the planet has lost two. What's that? Terminal cancer? Oh well, mustn't grumble; some people have HIV.

I appreciate what people are trying to accomplish with the phrase, but I have a real problem with the idea that people should just not get upset; that they should just grin their way through everything. Getting upset is healthy, it helps you come to terms with loss and move on.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
"I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle"

On the odd occasion that I've said this, it appears to start an intergalactic war...

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Take it like a man.

Is a man supposed to be fine with being punished? Who set down the guidelines of how a man should take his punishment? I'd like to meet that person. This one got used on me and I still feel angry about it. At school one of the badly behaved students was being moved from her place in a feeble attempt to stop her from misbehaving. She got put next to me and I knew she would just distract me and annoy me. So, reasonably I asked why I was being punished for someone else's bad behaviour, the teacher used the destructive phrase to explain her bad decision and I've hated it ever since.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
AngloDoom said:
"No offence, but..."

Is to a conversation what adopting a boxing stance is to a pub-confrontation.
I've taken to saying "No offence but I'm about to offend you." Might as well be honest with what I'm going to say.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
any ad hominem argument. argue the topic not the person presenting the discussion.

like: "well then is there anything that you do like?"
"you would say that"
etc.

elbrandino

Dec 8, 2010
Lionsfan said:
Dude, turn in your man card.

That one pisses me off quite a bit. Man cards don't exist, and if they did, they would be the most douchetastic thing in the world
Wait people say that and mean it seriously?

As for phrases, most that annoy me have already been said, but how about "Twilight sucks" or any jokes related to Twilight. Same goes for Justin Bieber. I don't like either of those things by any stretch, I'm just sick of those jokes. They stopped being funny in YEARS ago.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
lacktheknack said:
I'm big on Aphex Twin
I think you might similarly RAGE when you hear "Oh yeah, I've love Aphex TwinS"

That's just a pet peeve though.

Probably the single most destructive phrase I can think of is, simply, "FIRE"

Whether as a command or warning or crying wolf, something bad's about to go down.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
"Calm down"
"Calm the fuck down"
"calm your tits"
"Chill out"
"Relax"
or any other variation of this phrase achieves the polar opposite of it's intended effect.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Risingblade said:
We need to talk.
Oh man, THAT never ends well. I think we have a winner here.

I'll go with It's not me, it's you.

Hell no, when someone says that, they're always lying.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
"Stop being childish" or any of the variations of telling a person to 'grow up'.

Ya know what? No!
Not only is the idea that age is comparable with mental maturity completely bullshit, but it's also used so often by jackasses who like to leverage the real life version of "stop having fun guys".
If I wanna act like an idiot in my spare time and enjoy DnD and other assorted fantasy (not saying that DnD is acting like an idiot, that's kinda my point), then it's my fucking right to do so as a decently-fuctioning member of society, and you have no business judging me because of it by such a retarded standard.
And just because you let your inner child die to fit in with what society considers 'normal', don't go around trying to kill mine too.

And going with that tangent "It's not normal".

Normal is completely subjective to the person who sets the standard, and even if there was such an actual thing as 'normal', what makes it so important that everyone confirms to that norm? What is so horribly offensive about the fact that someone has different interests than most people, or enjoys different music, or dresses differently, that it completely justifies systematically breaking them down mentally and possibly fucking them up for life? If I wanna have long hair as a guy and listen to metal, I have the fucking right to do so without problem! If I'm overweight, then I suppose I've decided not to actively get rid of that problem, and you should shut the fuck up over it. If I happen to have read hair, then that's hardly my fault, so leave that alone, just like the fact that I need glasses, and HOW MANY FUCKERS DO I NEED TO RAM HALFWAY THROUGH A LOCKER TO MAKE THIS FUCKING CLEAR?!?!

......I may have gone to a bad place there for a sec. I'm gonna go....read a book or something.

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
The phrase 'cheer up' tends to drive me mad, but usually I can keep calm cos it'll be in a group situation and a friend will calm me down.

'You got lucky' applied to a situation where I did well, especially when doing something I'm not usually good at tends to piss me off, like when I was playing football (soccer) for the first time in a while (I was never any good at it, I was more into basketball and cricket because fewer people played them so therefore I was more likely to look good (I seriously injured my leg when I was 11 and found it really painful to walk until I was nearly 14) because I was always shit at the physical aspects of sport (so cricket properly suited me hehe)). I wound up playing centre-back, and basically marked one of the strikers until he was out of the game, at which point he uttered the phrase, and I told him to 'fuck off', so in turn he decided to throw me into the fences at the edge of the astro-pitch. In the end, I slid tackled him, and made sure I stepped on him as I got back up. A little bit of a fight ensued, and I was never asked back.

'Awww, diddums' is another phrase that tends to piss me right off cos the person who usually says it to me has no issues in their life, and the situation presented often actually detrimentally affects them if not handled properly (joint projects at school etc. and a general lab environment with safety concerns and shared resources). I think the last time anyone used the phrase (I'd fractured my wrist about a month before my first year exams at uni), I punched them with my other hand and then repeated it at them when they realised they were bleeding.

One phrase I really can't criticise using in my direction is 'wow! you're pretty fucked up!', aside from the fact that it's stating the painfully obvious.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
"le"

instantly turns me into a one man wrecking crew

On a more serious note, "slut shaming." No one gives a shit what you do with your body, and telling someone to be careful about getting fucked up while wearing provocative clothes around strangers isn't slut shaming any more than telling someone to lock their doors is homeowner shaming.