The single most destructive phrase...

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
It's more the sub-text of what someone's saying than the words themselves that really get my goat. If they say something in such a way that makes me seem like I don't even know what I'm talking about, especially with a smug turn of phrase I'll usually rage more than if someone said something as if they wanted to help me understand. Frankly, smugness pisses me off in general, any smug word says holds no purpose other than to incite rage and make the speaker sound like a douchebag.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Probably U MAD BRO!?

The sheer stupidity in that statement nearly gives me an aneurysm.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
There is no single universal most destructive phrase. Making a post here detailing all the reasons you believe the female gender is inferior from an evolutionary standpoint would cause all sorts of mindless rage. Making the same post on the Stormfront forums would probably make you fit right in.

You need to know your audience if you want to make them mad, there's no universal easymode for trolling.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Darkmantle said:
Hey is your name Peter? Because you remind me of a former chef I'm friends with :p
Heh, that would be an amazing coincidence, but no, my name is not Peter.

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
Cyfu said:
G.G.
That's not acceptable. Of all the possible ways to write gg that's just unacceptable.
you can type
Gg
gg
GG
yes, even "you suck noob" is acceptable
but G.G. is not.

PS if you get the reference, give yourself a pat on the back.
^^ Did you see Day 9's (sc2 commentator)story about his ex girlfriend Felicaty? She typed g.g. and it annoyed him so much. She was also the one who thought Starcraft was about clicking really fast. What is worse is when people do a preemptive GG when they are winning.

May 14, 2011
"I just want to be friends."
"Stop being depressed. Other have it far worse than you."
"Why are you not smiling?"
"Why don't you come out of your room?"(during days that I am studying for exams)
"Video-games are addictive!"
"Why don't you have a girlfriend? You're a great guy!"
"You have to tell us about everything you do!"(from parents or grandparents)

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
"Could care less" and "hit and miss." Not because the phrases themselves upset me, but because they're the wrong phrase. It's "Couldn't care less" and "hit or miss." You care for something so little that you couldn't possibly care for it less. And something is either hit OR miss, meaning it's either good or bad - nowhere in between. How the hell do you hit AND miss something? Something is good AND bad? WTF? Whatever dropped-on-their-head-as-a-baby person started saying those versions instead of the real ones needs to be slapped repeatedly, because they've caught on and people use the wrong versions all the time.

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
cerealnmuffin said:
Cyfu said:
G.G.
That's not acceptable. Of all the possible ways to write gg that's just unacceptable.
you can type
Gg
gg
GG
yes, even "you suck noob" is acceptable
but G.G. is not.

PS if you get the reference, give yourself a pat on the back.
^^ Did you see Day 9's (sc2 commentator)story about his ex girlfriend Felicaty? She typed g.g. and it annoyed him so much. She was also the one who thought Starcraft was about clicking really fast. What is worse is when people do a preemptive GG when they are winning.
Yeah, Day9's dating fail stories are the best xD
She did say that! She is indeed a terrible person.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
You are all wrong (or at least most of you, I haven't read through the entire thread). There is only one answer.
"I love you."
It's instantly disarming, whether you're saying it to someone you've known for years or the guy that's in the process of mugging you.

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
I have a hard time seeing phrases as inherently destructive. For me, it's the person that says the thing that makes it destructive.
As an example, if someone I don't know and don't care about says something to me, like "you wouldn't understand"(I see myself as an understanding person), I wouldn't be fussed. But if a close friend says it to me, that's when it hits me.

As, I've always said: People give words power!

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
Grenge Di Origin said:
Ldude893 said:
"Why can't you do anything right?"
"This TV show/movie/religion sucks and you're not supposed to like it."
Escapists: RRRGH YEAH, I KNOW RIGHT WHAT KIND OF ASSHOLE SAYS THAT?!

This game sucks and if you like it you're STUPID.
Escapists: OH MY GOD YAHTZEE IS GOD.
Because Yahtzee 1. puts valid reasons up or 2. Is the most convincing man on the planet
i personally choose both :U

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Ldude893 said:
"Why can't you do anything right?"
"This TV show/movie/religion sucks and you're not supposed to like it."
"I think pedophilia is completely fine."
"Why can't you be more manly?"
"Bat credit card."

OT: "Make friends." I'm a naturally shy person and have a hard time making friends so when I hear my relatives tell me to make some more friends it pisses me off to no end.

Also "Stop being so depressing." If I could stop I wouldn't be depressed would I?

Captcha: in limbo - my social life is kind of in limbo so I guess it makes sense.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
loc978 said:
A single phrase, though? That takes some thin skin.
Oh, I don't know. One phrase destroyed a man I knew a long time ago.

This man looked after a boy who wasn't his own because he'd once loved the mother and the biological father wouldn't change his lifestyle to accommodate a child. For twelve years he took care of his as well as any single parent could.

This man was talking to the boy he loved as his son. Said son had a question this man could easily have answered. The man said he could help, if the child asked.

"No, I'll just ask my real dad." said the boy. The man never really got over that.
I don't think that's thin skinned. That's terribly sad.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Erja_Perttu said:
loc978 said:
A single phrase, though? That takes some thin skin.
Oh, I don't know. One phrase destroyed a man I knew a long time ago.

This man looked after a boy who wasn't his own because he'd once loved the mother and the biological father wouldn't change his lifestyle to accommodate a child. For twelve years he took care of his as well as any single parent could.

This man was talking to the boy he loved as his son. Said son had a question this man could easily have answered. The man said he could help, if the child asked.

"No, I'll just ask my real dad." said the boy. The man never really got over that.
I don't think that's thin skinned. That's terribly sad.
Granted... that wasn't thin skin, it was attachment. The same phrase from a kid he didn't know wouldn't have had much impact... so it wasn't the words so much as the person saying 'em.

And yes, that is terribly sad.