The State of PC Games: Paradox's 2011 Lineup

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The State of PC Games: Paradox's 2011 Lineup

Paradox leads the charge for PC gamers across the world.

Read Full Article

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
I'm a fan of Paradox games, I've played Hearts of Iron II & 3, Europa Universalis 3, Crusader Kings, Supreme Ruler 2020, Victoria II.
I doubt I can count the hours I sunk into those games, modded and unmodded. Though in my experience their games can be buggy as hell.
I might check out Supreme Ruler Cold War and Magna Mundi. But I can't wait for Crusader Kings II.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Mr. Tito. I read on RPS that you wanted both wenches and whores in the pirate game. I like how you think sir!

I'll return with a more comprehensive opinion on Paradox awesome lineup tomorrow when I'm not drunk and typing on s damn phone..

Sep 14, 2009
hmm...

besides the mount and blade expansion, none of their games have ever really interested me..and once again, they proved me right =\

so besides that, which even then ill check out reviews before purchasing, i doubt ill get any of those games.

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
armored warfare perked my intrest, and it should be noted that im a Canadian lol. Its a brilliant idea, and if it plays out right it will do well.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
teh_gunslinger said:
Mr. Tito. I read on RPS that you wanted both wenches and whores in the pirate game. I like how you think sir!

I'll return with a more comprehensive opinion on Paradox awesome lineup tomorrow when I'm not drunk and typing on s damn phone..
It's true. What's a Pirate game without ladies of the night?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Apparently, Magicka was due to be released at some point in March. Why the hell they decided to shove it out now is beyond me, especially considering the state it's (reportedly) in. I know, it's neither a PC game nor a Paradox game if it's not buggy, but that smacks to me as being odd.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Supreme Ruler, Armored Warfare and the Sword of the Stars game sound quite interesting. I'll have to keep my eye out for those...
Roboto said:
How about a Battlezone 3? Yah, I didn't think so :p
Paradox owns that IP? Well, at least now I know who to blame for the absence of sequels...

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Delusibeta said:
Apparently, Magicka was due to be released at some point in March. Why the hell they decided to shove it out now is beyond me, especially considering the state it's (reportedly) in. I know, it's neither a PC game nor a Paradox game if it's not buggy, but that smacks to me as being odd.
As far as I know, the game itself isn't bugged, just the remote multiplayer. Granted, that's half of the draw of Magicka right there, the coop, but at least Paradox is making good by offering free DLC for anyone who may be affected.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
im really looking forward to some of these games, been a fan of paradox and europa universalis series in particular, i didnt realise they had so many games on the go

daviejjd

Apr 1, 2009
No the PC age is not over, but these games are not it's future, they all seem a be too c-list, or lower, along the lines of 'farming simulator'

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
Supreme Ruler, Armored Warfare and the Sword of the Stars game sound quite interesting. I'll have to keep my eye out for those...
Roboto said:
How about a Battlezone 3? Yah, I didn't think so :p
Paradox owns that IP? Well, at least now I know who to blame for the absence of sequels...
No, ATARI does. Let it soak in. Now you know who to blame. That IP will never see the light again.

I just noticed the state of PC games, then I look through the list and it's a bunch of shoddy RTS or something games, made me remember FPS+RTS hybrids, and if RTS as a genre is dying, well..

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Well, it doesn't seem like Mr. Tito is too familiar with the Paradox games attraction. I love the original Crusader Kings for the exact reasons he finds off-putting. Also, the best part of the Paradox grand strategy games is that you don't have a goal assigned to you! Invading the Holy Land is just a tangent you can go off on if you'd like, not the point of Crusader Kings, although I can see how the title might be a little misleading. I play that game all the time and barely ever attempt to conquer Jerusalem. That said, I'm most excited for CKII and Magna Mundi, followed by Mount & Blade and Salem.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
HobbesMkii said:
Well, it doesn't seem like Mr. Tito is too familiar with the Paradox games attraction. I love the original Crusader Kings for the exact reasons he finds off-putting. Also, the best part of the Paradox grand strategy games is that you don't have a goal assigned to you! Invading the Holy Land is just a tangent you can go off on if you'd like, not the point of Crusader Kings, although I can see how the title might be a little misleading. I play that game all the time and barely ever attempt to conquer Jerusalem. That said, I'm most excited for CKII and Magna Mundi, followed by Mount & Blade and Salem.
You like a badly designed interface? Don't get me wrong, I love sandbox style strategy games, but I think that an attractive and useful UI is something that most Paradox games fail at and might be a big reason that so many people in this thread refer to them as "niche games."

Compare a game like Crusader Kings with the interfaces of more popular strategy games like Starcraft 2 and Civ, and I think you'll understand that's the major difference between selling 5 million copies and 500k. Paradox guys kept using the word "accessible" in the presentations so it's definitely something that they are considering as well.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Most curious about the space game. and of course M&B.

There just isn't enough space based games

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
DTWolfwood said:
Most curious about the space game. and of course M&B.

There just isn't enough space based games
Sword of the Stars is pretty damn good and worth checking out.

One of their more unique features is that each race doesn't use the same FTL technology, so they all expand, play and to a lesser extent fight very differently. For example, the humans travel the fastest, but they can only travel down specific subspace lanes between planets. Where as the Hivers have no traditional FTL and must slowly trudge between new worlds at sublight speed, but once they reach a world they set up instantaneous gates to travel through. This also makes their gate ships prime targets in combat.

Couple this with a very robust custom ship creation and gameplay that lands itself comfortably between Sins of the Solar Empire and more exhaustive grand strategy games, and it all comes together to make for one enjoyable space strategy game.