The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Heard

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
Snarky Username said:
Well AIDS isn't a disease. It's a side effect of HIV. It's what happens once HIV basically nukes your immune system, in layman's terms.
Don't know if anyone already said it, but HIV is a virus (Human immunodeficiency virus) that causes AIDS, which is very much a disease.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
That I'm insecure and play Call of Duty because I don't like 90% of anime/manga/jrpgs.

Or that I'm insecure and retarded because I don't like My Little Pony.

I love it when people spew rash generalizations at groups of people that don't like what they like. Life is funny sometimes.

Jjtricky

Apr 9, 2009
poiumty said:
milkoy said:
Ekonk said:
No man no. It simply doesn't hold up. You can multiply zero as many goddamn times as you please, but it will never ever become one.
Look; vertical gradient is infinity, a horizontal gradient is 0. A diagonal gradient is 1. Its just maths. You can't just say that it "simply doesn't hold up".

Yes, infinity isn't a true number, but that wasn't what I was saying, I was saying it was possible to divide by zero. Now, please, don't go belittling people for the sake of it. I used to think you had some decent contributions to this forum, not just throwing out insults like a damn 13 year old.
Just wanted to point that you're confusing regular numbers and functions. If an asymptote reaches zero at infinity, then you're talking about its limit. The limit of f(x) where f(x) = 1/x and x tends towards pozitive zero is infinity. Don't confuse this with dividing a number by zero.
What do you make of the proof...

milkoy said:
Ekonk said:
milkoy said:
Ekonk said:
I seem to remember quite vividly that the whole point of 'asymptotic' (spelling?) was that it would get closer and closer to the axis, but never actually hit it.

Of course, dealing with infinity is a bit hard since it's a very abstract thing.
Yes; it hits it at infinity. When you divide 1 by zero. Q.E.D

And also, your point about how "we would probably live in a very odd universe" also hardly has any merit. For example, if you take a black hole, it, at its singularity, scientifically, has an volume of zero, as, with current measurements, the result will always be zero, nothing you can do about it. This means that it has an infinite density, from p=m/v, hence its massive gravity.

Dividing by zero is something that must be taken into account in physics, the laws break down when zeros and infinities are introduced.

EDIT:

Also, I think it was a bit of a fucking dick move to go and call what I said "The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Heard", when you have got no actual evidence to prove me wrong, and then, when I go and show I am right, you go and brush it off.
Hey man, I was always taught it was impossible to divide by zero. Also, you use circular logic. You're saying that 1/0 = infinity. You defend this by saying that an asymptotic line hits at infinity, and you back this up by saying 1/0 = infinity. Am I missing something here?

Then there's of course the fatal flaw that if 1/0 = infinity, then 0 * infinity = 1. However, it isn't. 0 times anything is 0.

Aaaand of course the fact that an asymptotic line gets closer and closer and doesn't hit, not even at infinity. It gets infinitely close, but it isn't zero.
Okay, I'll give you another example, for a simple y=mx + c straight line graph, a flat, horizontal line, has a gradient of zero. Simple maths. Likewise, a vertical line has a gradient of infinity. This means that if you multiply both graphs together, you must get a y=x graph, which you do, as, you said it yourself "0 * infinity = 1". So, yes, what you said about that is correct, backing up my point.
It is an interesting attempt, but a line with no graident: y=k
A line with an "Infinite" gradient: x=k

Multiplying them together gets a line: xy=k^2 which is a hyperbola, not a straight line.

@poiumty and anyone else: Have you encountered any problems which rely on you to multiply graphs like this? Interesting idea @milkoy

sorpaqq

May 12, 2011
That person who thought that Final Fantasy XIII was too open shouldn't even be allowed to leave his house without a guide.

sorpaqq

May 12, 2011
I heard that Techradar gave the Nikon D3100 four and a half out of five and the D7000 three out of five. Such stupidity should be illegal.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
ruthaford_jive said:
To make a long story short my ankle was fucked up through various forms of wear and tear, so I got surgery because a medical professional advised it. So I was like, okay, aware of the risks but willing to take them.

Got surgery. Made it worse. Went to see a bunch of doctors to ask what they thought the issue was.

Most of them said this, "Oh well... that happens."

Me, "..."

One of them said this, "Oh, you're foot is loose."

Me, "........."

What I learned: Not to automatically trust doctors.
In what way is this the "stupidest thing"? You were told of the risks before the operation, you chose to take them regardless and unfortunately complications happened as you were told could.
But I'm interested... what did you have before and what's the problem now?

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
ruthaford_jive said:
Quaxar said:
ruthaford_jive said:
To make a long story short my ankle was fucked up through various forms of wear and tear, so I got surgery because a medical professional advised it. So I was like, okay, aware of the risks but willing to take them.

Got surgery. Made it worse. Went to see a bunch of doctors to ask what they thought the issue was.

Me, "..."

Me, "........."

In what way is this the "stupidest thing"? You were told of the risks before the operation, you chose to take them regardless and unfortunately complications happened as you were told could.
No, what was stupid is... 'oh, your foot is loose.' To clarify, they told me it was going to heal up just fine, but whatever, I've made my peace with it.

I got injured in the military while on deployment from excessive wear and tear, so that's what happened initially. They told me to get surgery to strengthen my ankle and whatnot, so I did. Now my foot is loose... whatever the hell that means, and I'm still in the process of getting medically discharged a year later. I'm not the only one who advises against letting the army cut you up, as I'm not the first one to deal with this kind of crap, but then by this time none of this crap surprises me.
Alright, that part I wasn't quite sure I understand so I chose to ignore it. I can see how that statement could be considered stupid if not followed by a proper elaboration.
"Loose foot" sounds like somebody might have cut or damaged a ligament but what do I know from afar...

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
*phone rings* *pick up phone* *indian voice on other side* Hi sir, we are from microsoft technical support and we think there is a problem with your computer. *hang up phone*

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
ruthaford_jive said:
Quaxar said:
ruthaford_jive said:
Quaxar said:
ruthaford_jive said:

Me, "..."

Me, "........."

No, what was stupid is... 'oh, your foot is loose.' To clarify, they told me it was going to heal up just fine, but whatever, I've made my peace with it.

I got injured in the military while on deployment from excessive wear and tear, so that's what happened initially. They told me to get surgery to strengthen my ankle and whatnot, so I did. Now my foot is loose... whatever the hell that means, and I'm still in the process of getting medically discharged a year later. I'm not the only one who advises against letting the army cut you up, as I'm not the first one to deal with this kind of crap, but then by this time none of this crap surprises me.
Alright, that part I wasn't quite sure I understand so I chose to ignore it. I can see how that statement could be considered stupid if not followed by a proper elaboration.
"Loose foot" sounds like somebody might have cut or damaged a ligament but what do I know from afar...
That was basically my reaction when I heard the doctor say it. I guess 'loose foot' makes sense from that point of view, but when a medical professional says, "Oh well... your foot's probably loose," I was like, "Huh?" It was almost comical because it just sounded so absurd, especially since the whole point was to strengthen it, but like I said, it's done.
My mind is so full of fuck... It sounds like what a 5 year old would say when a classmate has a sprained (sprung?) ankle.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
If you look up all the stuff Rick Santorum said trying to get elected you're off to a pretty good start :)