The Tale of M and S

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I do believe that's the best Conspiracy Theory I've ever read/ heard/ seen/ imagined. Good read.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I would have switched the two letters in the title but otherwise great read.

Sabin Felea

Jan 30, 2013
I realised quite late who Mr S and Mr M are, after the 9th paragraph in the story, then had to go back and read it again xD
Oh Yahtzee, why do you think console manufacturers have dumb marketing strategies, when actually they're just evil fcuks! :D

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
With any senseless catastrophe, it's human nature to use conspiracies to try to make the world make sense again. I guess PR and marketing disasters spark the same thing in Mr. Croshaw.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
Oh Yahtzee you magnificent fool. There is no conspiracy or higher purpose. This is not about profits or sales. Some men just want to watch the world burn ^_^

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

Yes, I really do think the MS marketing department is that much out of touch with what their consumers want.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
That was plain amazing. It's probably not the exact way it went, but it is a good metaphor for how corporations move these days.

Now that I've seen the way he writes fiction, I'm gonna have to buy Mogworld, goddamnit.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
That's definitely the best writ conspiracy I've heard about the subject yet. I'd like to conjecture that something like this might have happened, but Microsoft executives would need intelligence to do so.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Gethsemani said:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

Yes, I really do think the MS marketing department is that much out of touch with what their consumers want.
Never attribute competence to Microsoft when it can easily be put down to incompetence =D I could never believe that MS had the finesse to pull off any sort of sophisticated long-term planning

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I get it!!

Mr. S is Shigeru Miyamoto and Mr. M is Peter Molyneux!

... wait, suddenly I don't get it.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Thought this was going to be about Mario and Sonic from the title. Then Marks and Spencers. MS and Sony didn't even cross my mind, until I read the article of course.

Enjoyable read.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
LordTerminal said:
Sorry Yahtzee but wasting your novelist experience dressing up yet another PC elitist load of BS like the last 3 times does not magically excuse for well making another PC elitist load of BS.
It's somewhat insightful to get this glimpse into how insane the contents of one's post can seem when they see everything as a stark realm of black and white: where if you're aren't actively fanwanking over consoles than you're some kind of PC elitist.

Gethsemani said:
You forgot the second half: Don't assume malice when stupidity is an adequate explanation. At least, not the first time. Ian Fleming further explained it as "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action."

Shall I count off all the seemingly stupid/malicious things Microsoft has done or said this year?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
...And then Mr. N walked by and crop dusted both of them as they sat there wondering why their sandwiches tasted like farts.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
LordTerminal said:
Except this is the fourth or fifth time he's wasted an article/video on this topic and it's always the same answer. This isn't seeing in black and white, this is just basically pointing out what's really wrong with this "story" and that Yahtzee needs to get off his soapbox.
and what exactly is wrong? You forgot to mention it. All I see is Yahtzee's theory and people commenting. Questions of plausibility haven't been brought up because who's to say how plausible it is? I dunno know, your acting as if you know better. Mr Smarty Pants parading his fat ass, thinking he can show a superior opinion but forgetting to point out the holes.