The Terminator Offered as Pre-Order Bonus for WWE 2K16

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
The Terminator Offered as Pre-Order Bonus for WWE 2K16

"It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until there is a three count."

While we know that a certain legendary wrestler [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141749-Hulk-Hogan-Will-Not-Appear-in-WWE-2K16] is being cut, 2K Games has announced the availability of a new playable character in their upcoming, annual WWE release. Customers who pre-order WWE 2K16 from select retailers will be rewarded with a code which unlocks The Terminator.

Yes, that Terminator, as portrayed by Arnold Schwarzenegger. A trailer promoting the offer has been released, recreating the classic bar scene from Terminator 2 with current WWE Superstars.

The bonus comes with two versions of the character, the T-800 from the original Terminator and the kinder, gentler one that taught a young John Connor about life, love, and laughter in Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

And why not? The idea of getting into the ring against an unrelenting killing machine is no less silly than a demonic wrestler who keeps his power in an urn held by their manager, and that guy kept up an undefeated streak for more than twenty years. Besides, it has to be a whole lot easier to pin a Terminator than it would be to... well... terminate it.

Schwarzenegger has appeared as himself previously in WWE telecasts, including a 1999 Smackdown appearance where he pummeled Triple H (then World Heavyweight Champion) at the announcer's table after interfering in a match. He was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame earlier this year at Wrestlemania 31.

WWE 2K16 is scheduled to release October 27 in North America (October 30 in Europe) for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZTSahJxT0Q]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Say some racist things in a supposedly sealed deposition from 6 (8?) years ago and the legacy of your entire career is absolutely erased.

Have an affair and illegitimate son with your maid and continue to get movie and game deals.

*sniff sniff* Smells like a double-standard to me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Does he lose flesh when injured? If so, sold!

Mikeybb said:
All we need now is robocop for the WCW recreationists among us.
Unfortunately, it'd probably be the current Robocop.

RealRT said:
Thanks, but I'd prefer Hulk Hogan to be in the game over him.
One fictional inhuman machine with a goofy voice is pretty much the same as another.

RJ 17 said:
Say some racist things in a supposedly sealed deposition from 6 (8?) years ago and the legacy of your entire career is absolutely erased.

Have an affair and illegitimate son with your maid and continue to get movie and game deals.

Pretty sure Terminators can't have offspring.

But seriously, a double standard from WWE? I cannot fathom this madness. Next thing, you'll tell me pro wrestling is faked and senior citizens can't really go toe-to-toe with Brock Lesnar.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I guess that's interesting, but isn't the create a wrestler system of these games fairly robust? Unless there's a ton of lines or something, just seems to be a kind of meh bonus.
I mean considering people can do stuff like this...

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
RealRT said:
Thanks, but I'd prefer Hulk Hogan to be in the game over him.
One fictional inhuman machine with a goofy voice is pretty much the same as another.
One of those has nothing to do with wrestling, the other wasn't making shitty movies for quite some time now.
RJ 17 said:

But seriously, a double standard from WWE? I cannot fathom this madness. Next thing, you'll tell me pro wrestling is faked and senior citizens can't really go toe-to-toe with Brock Lesnar.
So going from that analogy, double standards and hypocrisy are as crucial to the medium of wrestling as the theatrics? I'm sorry, I think you were trying to make a point there, but ended up with a bagel instead.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RealRT said:
One of those has nothing to do with wrestling, the other wasn't making shitty movies for quite some time now.
And? I said nothing about movies or wrestling because they were irrelevant to the comment I made.

So going from that analogy, double standards and hypocrisy are as crucial to the medium of wrestling as the theatrics? I'm sorry, I think you were trying to make a point there, but ended up with a bagel instead.
Then don't try and lead me away from my point.

My point was not that it is as necessary, but rather than it was as common. Systemic is systemic whether it's crucial or not.

You could have easily cleared that up by asking.

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
Rednog said:
isn't the create a wrestler system of these games fairly robust?
It used to be. Unfortunately once they made the jump to next gen consoles they threw all of that out the window, so they could make triple H's hair prettier of course.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
RealRT said:
And? I said nothing about movies or wrestling because they were irrelevant to the comment I made.
Well, the point was, since it's a, you know, WRESTLING GAME, it should have the guy without whom WWE wouldn't exist nowadays, not a robot from the movie series that has three installments too many.
Then don't try and lead me away from my point.

My point was not that it is as necessary, but rather than it was as common. Systemic is systemic whether it's crucial or not.

You could have easily cleared that up by asking.
Well thing is, something being common doesn't excuse it being there. Slavery and sexism were the norm years ago. Weren't any better then than it is now. You know how these things stop being common though? They get called out.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
No, but the man the Terminator's model is going to be based off of certainly can.

Context is key, my friend. The double standard is that Hogan's entire career was erased from the books while Arnold's is still doing just fine as though he didn't have an affair and illegitimate child. The double-standard expands well beyond the range of a WWE game, as was referenced when I said "movie and game deals".

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
kat-pottz said:
Rednog said:
It used to be. Unfortunately once they made the jump to next gen consoles they threw all of that out the window, so they could make triple H's hair prettier of course.
Exactly why I didn't buy 2K15 and I'm not buying this one unless they fix the creation system, I mean for god's sake the assets already exist, and have for years

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Well this is quite something if I didn't tell myself I was going to skip 2K16 entirely unless something legitamately good is put in (and trust me attitude era nonsense for the millionth time isn't it).

Fun commercial. So this machine was the one Bray Wyatt was raving about before eh.

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
Oly J said:
kat-pottz said:
Rednog said:
Exactly why I didn't buy 2K15 and I'm not buying this one unless they fix the creation system, I mean for god's sake the assets already exist, and have for years
it really cracked me up how they tried to make up for it in 2k15 with their half-assed attempt at "game face" by letting you slap a flat png of your face onto a wrestler "oh and make sure you photoshop out your eyes or else it won't work!" it's like they don't even care anymore.

(skip to 30 for "magic")

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
kat-pottz said:
Oly J said:
kat-pottz said:
Rednog said:
it really cracked me up how they tried to make up for it in 2k15 with their half-assed attempt at "game face" by letting you slap a flat png of your face onto a wrestler "oh and make sure you photoshop out your eyes or else it won't work!" it's like they don't even care anymore.
I didn't even know about that, I played my little brother's copy while visiting for about an hour, noticed the limitations on the now barely-existant creation system, and thought "yeah not gonna bother this year" if I can't have James Bond working over The Mask who is being restrained by Jesus while The Doctor and the Genie from Aladdin grapple in the background, then I ask you what the hell is the point?

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
Oly J said:
if I can't have James Bond working over The Mask who is being restrained by Jesus while The Doctor and the Genie from Aladdin grapple in the background, then I ask you what the hell is the point?
I think the only way we are going to get that kind of freedom back is if they made a wrestling mmo, and we both know www doesn't have the cash for that.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
kat-pottz said:
Oly J said:
if I can't have James Bond working over The Mask who is being restrained by Jesus while The Doctor and the Genie from Aladdin grapple in the background, then I ask you what the hell is the point?
I think the only way we are going to get that kind of freedom back is if they made a wrestling mmo, and we both know www doesn't have the cash for that.
But we had it in 2K14, I refuse to accept that the graphical hardware has advanced to the point that using it would render them unable to polish pre-existing assets they've already implemented post-2K before, and if graphics have advanced that much then focusing on that to the exclusion of all else is just stupid

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I need your clothes, your boots, and your pre-orders.

Kudos on Arnie for really bouncing back in acting. It may be idle hope, but I still want a good Terminator game... tell me a current gen take on it couldn't be awesome.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
erbkaiser said:
I need your clothes, your boots, and your pre-orders.

Kudos on Arnie for really bouncing back in acting. It may be idle hope, but I still want a good Terminator game... tell me a current gen take on it couldn't be awesome.
Have you tried the arcade version? It's great fun.