The Time had come....to create our OC in the new Sonic Game!!!!

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
JemothSkarii said:
As I've been discussing with some friends, I'm excited for this game. Not to play it or anything, Gods no, never did like Sonic. Hated Sonic Adventures 1 and 2.
But I just want to see everything that happens with it.
I had the thought a while ago that Sonic Team should make an MMO where people could make their own X the Y, given how notoriously dedicated the Sonic Fandom is.
"Even better" piped up a friend, "Dragonball Xenoverse but Sonic"
Such ideas we believe should PRINT SONIC TEAM MONEY.

But this isn't those, but it's good enough. So long as it has character creation, every Sonic fan who adores their OC will buy it. Maybe we'll see Coldsteel the Hedgeheg. Maybe we'll see Sonichu in videogame glory as his creator struggles for three hours to get the ears and tail right before throwing his console out because the arms are yellow.
I cannot stress that this could be one of the MOST ENTERTAINING video game releases in a while.
Yes, me too I am excited of the characters other people will create.
Now the remaning question is that how much you can do with the characters creation? So far in the video I saw only different part of cloths and gadgets. I guess you can also select the fur color, but what about the eyes, mouth, boby type, ears, etc. You get the idea.

Jan 27, 2011
My reaction was to laugh my ass off and post the following in reply on their Twitter: "MY GOD. You fools! Do you not understand the beast you have unleashed?! Think of the fanfics you just fueled! :eek:"

Overall, I think it's a fun idea, even if it just encourages the OC-happy fandom.

And hey, maybe we'll see the return of this guy:

The only thing funnier than then HMS joke was the fact that someone actually MADE the character, and they were a brokenly overpowered joke, only for some people to start using the character unironically and praising it. XD The joke came full circle.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Hey, It worked pretty dang well for Xenoverse.

Besides, We'll know if Sega's catering to the DA crowd for realsise if the Collector's edition comes with either a bike pump or a sleeping bag shaped like Tails' mouth.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
God. I can't wait to see the Let's Plays. I don't even like Let's Plays. But I can see TFS, Game Grumps, and others having a field day with this idea.

Feb 26, 2014
Meh. I doubt I'll be able to make Leonard the Overweight Porcupine. But hey, at least I'll be able to make a dark edgy version of Sonic. Or, better yet, a bright, maybe silver, version from the future with psychic powers! If those don't scream "totally original" I don't know what does.

But seriously, the long dead Sonic fan in me is stirring in his tomb and I love me some character creators. I'm itching to get my hands on this game!
aegix drakan said:
So, I wondered "What the hell is that?" and googled Shadonic and now my eyes bleed.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Is this an open world game?
I never played mario and wished I could create my own, crappy version of mario.

That sort of thing happens in a skyrim or a mass effect or something where other people can see what you did like in second life.

So where exactly is the appeal in the character creation here?
They sure do tout it as the defining main feature.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
SweetShark said:

After this game release, I REALLY want to see this and other Forums filled with OC all over the place.
I shall take my pop-corns.

But seriously now, it was about time to do something like that. After so many years of fans creating their own characters to a criminal degree, the developers should had get the memo long ago.

What do you think about that?
Isn't this just character creation, though? It's new for sonic, but otherwise it's been around for a while.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Fox12 said:
SweetShark said:

After this game release, I REALLY want to see this and other Forums filled with OC all over the place.
I shall take my pop-corns.

But seriously now, it was about time to do something like that. After so many years of fans creating their own characters to a criminal degree, the developers should had get the memo long ago.

What do you think about that?
Isn't this just character creation, though? It's new for sonic, but otherwise it's been around for a while.
This makes me wonder, which other games have customization of anthropomorphic animals as an option for character creation? (besides The Elder Scrolls games)

Jan 27, 2011
Captain Marvelous said:
aegix drakan said:
So, I wondered "What the hell is that?" and googled Shadonic and now my eyes bleed.
You could have just asked and I'd have told you, and spared your bleeding eyes! XD

There's a fangame called "Sonic Robo Blast 2", which is made in a heavily modded Doom engine. Given that this is a modded fangame, there's a community that makes levels, characters, etc.

And back in the day, there was this thing where every few months some new player would join the forums and start going on and on about making their own OC in the game, painstakingly detailing the lore and all, and then they'd promptly give up a week later when they realized you need like 200 sprites or so to actually make the character.

Hence the image in my post becoming a thing.

...And then someone made the character in the game. And people found it funny. And then people started to use him unironically, causing the joke to go full circle.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Can I be the one to ask, and maybe this deserves it's own thread, why does anyone like Sonic as a franchise, as a video game or as a character?

Seriously, lets look at this for a second: As a character, he is just a cartoon animal mascot combined with the worst, yet some how most family-friendly aspects of 90's 'tude.

As a video game, he has been at best, playable. The first 2 were ok, I actually owned Sonic Spinball on game gear, then I hear the Sega CD one was also decent. Even at best, Sonic had the fundamental problem that going all "awesome and fast brah" meant that you needed to memorize every aspect of the level.

Then it went 3D and it all turned into poop, just poop.

Anyway, as a franchise outside games, this is something I am only passingly aware of because there was so much of it, yet none that seemed to be canonically connected to one-another. You had that cartoon one that was somewhat dark and oppressive where he was a member of the resistance of some kind. There was also a much more little-kid friendly cartoon, then there were a series of comics, none of these seemed great.

I was at the right age during the console wars, yeah I was on team-mario but I still had several friends who owned a Genesis, I played Sonic all the time. So, what am I missing here?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
You people! You're fantasies can't ever be quenched, can they?!

shrekfan246 said:
I already find the jokes exhausting. Character customization in any other game is great, but as soon as it's Sonic, let's all just meme it up because lul Sonic, amirite guys?

And yes, I am being a party pooper. I get that people are just having some "harmless" fun with it, at least some of them, but you know, it's really just tiring to have one of your favorite franchises constantly treated as nothing more than the butt of everyone else's joke even when there's actually something legitimately good to enjoy about it.
Uh oh, sounds like you're gonna get shrekt when the game comes out.

Jan 27, 2011
Welp, might as well address your question.

jademunky said:
Can I be the one to ask, and maybe this deserves it's own thread, why does anyone like Sonic as a franchise, as a video game or as a character?

1) Seriously, lets look at this for a second: As a character, he is just a cartoon animal mascot combined with the worst, yet some how most family-friendly aspects of 90's 'tude.

2) Even at best, Sonic had the fundamental problem that going all "awesome and fast brah" meant that you needed to memorize every aspect of the level.

3) Then it went 3D and it all turned into poop, just poop.

4) Anyway, as a franchise outside games, this is something I am only passingly aware of because there was so much of it, yet none that seemed to be canonically connected to one-another. You had that cartoon one that was somewhat dark and oppressive where he was a member of the resistance of some kind. There was also a much more little-kid friendly cartoon, then there were a series of comics, none of these seemed great.

I was at the right age during the console wars, yeah I was on team-mario but I still had several friends who owned a Genesis, I played Sonic all the time. So, what am I missing here?
1) Eh, I like his slightly goofy cartoon look, and while I find it falls flat when Sonic tries to be cool/edgy, I do very much enjoy when he's goofy and ADD (see Colors). Plus, there's something about the uncompromising "Hey, I'm just gonna do what I like because why not? I ain't bound by your labels!" personality I just enjoy.

Seriously, I love the series, but SA2's edgedark themes and stuff was pretty awful and stuck the series in a dumb rut for too damn long, to say nothing of the travesty that was the plot/dialogue of Shadow The Hadgehog (Gameplay is salvageable, plot and dialogue are seriously NOT).

Gimme the silly ADD character and plot over that stuff any day.

2) I'll take "you need to memorize the level to do those epic speedy flow runs" over "You need to memorize the level to actually beat it" which is what Mario feels like to me when the levels get even remotely challenging.

Sonic gives you lots of alternate paths (encourages replayability and exploration) and has a frankly ludicrously generous health system (as long as you have even one ring, you're safe), which offers a large enough safety net that getting though the level isn't usually that big a deal, while also encouraging you to some back and keep playing the game to improve.

I enjoy exploring levels and learning how to flow through them. It feels better than the straightforward obstacle course with little room for deviation that 2D mario is.

Seriously, I still keep going back to Sonic 3 and Knuckles to this day (and have cleared it with all emeralds, super modes, characters, etc), wheras I've never managed to get through Super Mario World. The farthest I've gotten was Vanilla Dome, and that's when I just stopped giving a damn because I just wasn't having fun anymore.

It's kind of a shame you appear to have missed Sonic 3 and Knuckles. That, to me, was the highest point of the series. It had large dynamic levels, three characters who had their own specialties, a feeling that every place was connected to each other, entertaining special stages, etc.

3) Yeah, it stumbled pretty hard in 3D. The thing that made Sonic really work in 2D was the sense of "Flow" through the levels, which is harder to recreate in 3D as the information reaching your eyes is harder to understand than if it was in 2D. To say nothing of how much harder it is to make good levels (especially ones with multiple routes and shortcuts) in 3D. At least they've finally started to get that right more recently. Colors and Generations were very solid and Lost World (the 3DS one, at least) was decent enough. (Seriously, if they made another game with Lost World's engine, axed the stupid gimmicky wisps and focused more on the parkour mechanics, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat).

4) I honestly didn't care all that much about all the comics and cartoons and stuff. They were kinda nifty as a kid, but really, my main love was for the games.

Now, if you're more into Mario or whatever, more power to you. I just enjoy the whole "flow-based-game" thing, and find Sonic's laid back personality refreshing compared to Mario's barely existing character.

As a result, I seek out related games with similar feels (Freedom Planet, Mirror's Edge, etc) as well as some of the spinoffs and fangames (I've been following the fangame Sonic Robo Blast 2 for about 8 years now, and every new build/version they put out just keeps getting more fun).

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Hmm, the question of why people like Sonic. Okay, I'll give it a shot per the numbers game:

1) In terms of personality, Sonic's has remained fairly consistent across every media he's appeared in, though certain medias heighten certain elements of said personality while others don't (part of why I really don't like the STC Sonic that much, as I find his personality gets too arrogant/cruel sometimes). Now, Sonic isn't a deep character by any means, but for me personally, I do find it endearing. Hyperactive, fun-loving, ADD, fast, etc. It's standard superhero fare I guess. Enough to enrapture someone as a kid, enough to find it pleasingly quaint as an adult. Personally, I like my characters in fiction to have personality, so I guess that's why Sonic left more of an impact on me than Mario.

2) The 'memorize a level' thing isn't a requirement, it's more a reward. Or at least, in the 2D games. The Sonic games are actually quite forgiving compared to other platformers, given how the ring system works. If you're new to a level, you can stil make your way through it. If you're familiar, you can blaze through it. Sonic's known for his speed, but the speed is something you have to earn. Later games kinda nulified this with the use of boosters, but at least early on, that held true.

3) I don't agree with 3D being an issue though, or at least, the transition to 3D isn't why Sonic started to falter for me in this era. Sonic Adventure 1 is pretty good, both gameplay and narrative-wise. Sonic Adventure 2 works well overall, but not as well, because as fun as the Sonic/Shadow gameplay is, the other gameplay isn't as much. Sonic Heroes has acceptable gameplay (bar the Chaotix), but was coupled with an assinine story. Shadow is a game with poor story and poor gameplay. Sonic 06 has glitched gameplay that prevented me from playing for too long. Sonic & the Secret Rings has a nice story marred by unplayability with its assinine control scheme. By Sonic Unleashed, I'd started to grow out of Sonic. From what I've seen, Colors/Generations/Lost World have abandoned any attempt at serious story, but Forces does look interesting, in that it's treating itself a bit more seriously, but not to the extent of Shadow the Hedgehog.

So, in closing, the 3D games have problems, but I don't think it's something inherent to 3D. As I said, I quite like SA1/2/Heroes (to an extent in that last one), and in that period, the Advance/Rush games were pretty fun. I think Sonic's problems in recent years are more due to lack of quality control than anything else.

4) You're right, in as much that there's a lot of Sonic spin-offs out there, mainly comics and cartoons/anime. For me, they're a net positive. My feelings differ by installment, but like any superhero media, it's down to personal taste as to which ones you'll prefer. But, the comics were my jam back in the day - the only comic I had a monthly subscription for. Still got them on the shelf.

I'll be honest, I'm not as enamored with Sonic as I once was - haven't played a game since Sonic Unleashed, haven't completed one since Rush Adventure, stopped collecting the Archie comics, I've even lagged behind in watching Sonic Boom episodes. But, there is a reason why I got invested him back in the day. Enough for me to have some level of interest even now, even if it's only from the position of an observer mostly.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
aegix drakan said:
2) I'll take "you need to memorize the level to do those epic speedy flow runs" over "You need to memorize the level to actually beat it" which is what Mario feels like to me when the levels get even remotely challenging.

Sonic gives you lots of alternate paths (encourages replayability and exploration) and has a frankly ludicrously generous health system (as long as you have even one ring, you're safe), which offers a large enough safety net that getting though the level isn't usually that big a deal, while also encouraging you to some back and keep playing the game to improve.

I enjoy exploring levels and learning how to flow through them. It feels better than the straightforward obstacle course with little room for deviation that 2D mario is.
This "flow" idea is interesting to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Yeah I can kinda see the appeal of just being able to charge through a level as a little blur on the screen.

We are on very different pages when it comes to difficulty though. I've finished every Mario game made up to gamecube but never been able to finish a Sonic game. The Wing Fortress zone would get me every time.

Seriously, I still keep going back to Sonic 3 and Knuckles to this day (and have cleared it with all emeralds, super modes, characters, etc), wheras I've never managed to get through Super Mario World. The farthest I've gotten was Vanilla Dome, and that's when I just stopped giving a damn because I just wasn't having fun anymore.

It's kind of a shame you appear to have missed Sonic 3 and Knuckles. That, to me, was the highest point of the series. It had large dynamic levels, three characters who had their own specialties, a feeling that every place was connected to each other, entertaining special stages, etc.
I've head nothing but praise for Sonic & Knuckles and admittedly I never had a chance to play it.

Interesting thing about Mario World (and damn-near unprecedented in it's era) was the fact that a person could play the game from start to finish and still not even be aware that there was a whole 2 secret zones with between 5-8 stages in each.

Now, if you're more into Mario or whatever, more power to you. I just enjoy the whole "flow-based-game" thing, and find Sonic's laid back personality refreshing compared to Mario's barely existing character.
Borderline offensive ethnic stereotypes not good enough for ya?