The ?tinx? revolution continues with womxn

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
It seems a bit lazy to just swap an E for an X. Ideally you want a word that doesn't include "m_n" at all. I'd suggest Womble. It's a memorable word and easy to pronounce.

While I can kinda see the idea behind this it is extremely dumb. You are going to go out and make a new word and you can't think of anything better than changing the 'a/e' in woman/women to an 'x'? Should have hired out to a fantasy/sci-fi writer instead, they could have come up with something more interesting than this.

That's so silly. Everything in nature is gendered. That's how the world works! Tables are obviously female, and books are male, as the good Lord intended!
God, don't be silly man...everyone knows that tables are actually gender neutral until you put something on them. Haven't you been taught anything?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
.God, don't be silly man...everyone knows that tables are actually gender neutral until you put something on them. Haven't you been taught anything?
So, if I put a banana and a couple of apples on a table, I could have done something real nasty to the table?

OT:So, this is the response to ‘transwomen can’t be real women’? Genius

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm not even sure what the excuse is in Spanish either.

Stuff like "Latinx" came around to include people who don't identity as either gender. That's somewhere between 0.1 and 1% of the population, so I'm tempted to call it a solution without a problem, especially when terms like "Hispanic" already exist.

If someone wished to be referred as Latinx, I'd accomodate them, but aside from that, it strikes me as being similarly silly to "womxn." And I still don't even know how you pronounce it (La-tee-nex? Latin-ex? La-tinx?)
It would be pronounced 'Latine' (La-tee-neh). Words terminating in A are traditionally female and those terminating in O are traditionally male; to those that give a shit gendered vowels are marked with an X and then pronounced as if there were an E (or in the minority of cases an I) in its place.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
There is no good single word to conclusively include all women and femme-leaning NB people, and the solution to that is just to use multiple words. We have commas and connectives that can be used to put multiple things into a list, and if that's too fucking advanced for the person reading it then they're probably not the audience for a TED Talk in the first place.

Latinx ticks me off because it misses the obvious linguistic open goal of just dispensing with the suffix letter entirely and calling them Latin people, or Latin Americans if they're from Latin America. Don't use two words where one will do, but don't invent one word when there's two that already exist.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I've just had the thought that maybe people misunderstand me, I thought my previous postings made my position on this clear but I think this is dumb, my single comment in the OP of, "Interesting", was supposed to be taken in a very dry and deadpan sort of way. Maybe I should add an image.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I always found the term "Latinx" kind of funny.

I mean, there's an interesting question of how you deal with grammatical gender in a way that is inclusive and respectful.

It just seems kind of weird to have a gender-inclusive term for the entire ethnically diverse population of central and south America based explicitly on the fact that they were colonised a(nd subject to centuries of abuse, domination and epistemicide) by speakers of Romantic rather than Germanic languages

Also, yeah, I get it. TERFs are shit. But they don't own the word "woman". It's okay to use it.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
Mx pxrsynzlly, I love the elitist idiots trying and failing to import this genius idea to a country where every single thing is either male or female. Normal people don't care about any of this, so if you have time to worry about such a non issue then check your privilege, I guess.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Stuff like "Latinx" came around to include people who don't identity as either gender. That's somewhere between 0.1 and 1% of the population, so I'm tempted to call it a solution without a problem, especially when terms like "Hispanic" already exist.
Side note, it's possible to be Latino/Latina/Latinx without being Hispanic. Any Latin American ethnicity that wasn't overrun by the Spanish

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
God, don't be silly man...everyone knows that tables are actually gender neutral until you put something on them. Haven't you been taught anything?
No, tables are always male. Like the moon. Gender neutral is for things like books or girls or small men.

Grammatical gender in various language is strange. And i don't really have much sympathy for any attempts of forced change here.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Side note, it's possible to be Latino/Latina/Latinx without being Hispanic. Any Latin American ethnicity that wasn't overrun by the Spanish
Further side note, as someone who is both Latino and Hispanic: neither of them denotes ethnicity. Latino just means from Latin America, Hispanic just means "speaks native Spanish". The Spanish are Hispanic but not Latino, Brazilians are Latino but not Hispanic, etc.