The Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Gamers on Television

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Daymo said:
The reason there is no Mother, Final Fantasy or even many anime references is because the characters are archetypal western geeks/nerds/choice of word here. These guys grew up with Star trek, Star wars, tabletop and PC gaming, probably while looking down on anime and JRPGS as being restrictive and/or childish, if they were in an interenet debate, it is very easy to see them as being on the anti-anime side. Also there is the odd cosplay where they dress up as super heroes and star trek characters, but it normally falls under the common pool of topics.
I recall there was an episode where Sheldon and Leonard were watching anime, though. I don't think it was a real anime series, though it's hard to tell, since all we heard were sound effects, and I didn't recognize the name Leonard gave it, but it lead into Penny talking about how she knew an "annie may" once, or something or another, so it's safe to assume it was at least SUPPOSED to be an anime. XD

obligatory defense of big bang theory here, it's a fairly typical sitcom to me. I don't see what makes it particularly good or bad, but eh, to each their own.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
Kungfusam said:
Is this some kind of joke?

Moviebob has willfully done more to damage the concept of gamers then any TV show, everything he thinks and says about gamers is based on outdated stereotypes, hearsay and basically whatever Sarkeesian tells him say
I would love to live in your world. In what possible universe is MovieBob better known than the majority of TV shows on this list? Unless you are trolling, then more power to you.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
NaramSuen said:
Kungfusam said:
Is this some kind of joke?

Moviebob has willfully done more to damage the concept of gamers then any TV show, everything he thinks and says about gamers is based on outdated stereotypes, hearsay and basically whatever Sarkeesian tells him say
I would love to live in your world. In what possible universe is MovieBob better known than the majority of TV shows on this list? Unless you are trolling, then more power to you.
goes without saying ... But as soon as I read the `Maitreya` part, I was just like .... "nope, not taking the bait here". Someone who pretends to conflate the classic "Artificial Intelligence Frankenstein" trope for some antiFem stab, isn't worth the time it would take to type out why they're just fishing for unwarranted attention.

darthdenim

Jul 10, 2014
Putting Cartman on this list at all is stupid.

Bob's bias is showing again.

You know why people always call you biased about things, Bob? Cause that's how you come across in your fucking videos and blogposts.

Gretha Unterberg

Jul 14, 2013
Phasmal said:
I've actually never seen TBBT, but most of my gamer friends enjoy it, so I'm not sure what's up with it. Though I do remember all those posts getting angry at how they were `appropriating our culture` which gave me endless giggles.
Yay,so its not just me. :)

Isn't the cornerstone of every longrunning sitcom that you laugh about the characters and their actions?
Searching there for a dignified representation of _____ will leave you disapointed more often then not.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
A CSI: Miami episode(Hell Raisers) and another SVU episode(Game) had gamers, and yet that's the one that Bob picks.

For those that don't know the episodes, both basically have teen to young adults playing video games and decided to take it 'one step further'. Both games are GTA knock offs, both have the criminals be young, good looking and in the Miami one, college students. Hell the Miami one has one of the criminal gamers DIE from playing for 70 hours and drinking nothing but energy drinks.

But hey, the SVU fat, slob, jobless gamer works out better huh?