The ultimate "Just one more turn..." game.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Football Manager, I say to myself just 1 hour and 6 hours later "Oh is that the time, one more game couldn't hurt" it's a vicious cycle. My addictedness rating is "Okay it's time to change your underwear"

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Ever played the Arcade mode in a fighting game and got to the last boss, despite it being the wee hours into the morning and you have school/work/church/whatever the next morning?

I have.

CL4P-TP

Feb 16, 2010
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned Minecraft yet. Is it finally starting to lose it's grip on gamerkind?

"I'll just finish this lava moat... Oh wait, I need to add that part of the walls, too. Shit, and windows... I'll just go to the beach..."

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
For me, this will always be Missionforce: Cyberstorm. It's an old Dynamix game set in the Earth siege universe, where you lead squads of HERCS piloted by genetically engineered bioderm (read: cyborg) pilots against the forces of the Cybrids.

Maybe not the best turn-based tactical combat game ever made, but it's one of the ones I got the deepest into and had the most fun with. Try it out, if you can ever find a copy and have a high tolerance for Windows 95-era pixel graphics.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
FF Tactics Advance. Getting that game back in grade 7 is likely why I've still got terrible sleeping patterns almost ten years later.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Pretty much every game can be like that for me if it's got a lot of replay value. Any new games I play are the worst offenders for this though.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
WoW was very much like that for me, at least when I was leveling a character. I'd waste entire weeks (not weekends, WEEKS) just staring at that screen, not even logging off to eat. But I quit that, so...

Typically, Team Fortress 2 has been like that for me lately, but before I had that I played a little F2P TPS called S4League. Both of these I'm completely unwilling to leave until I not only win a match, but can get within the top 3. It just always leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I stop playing on a loss, but there have been more times than I can count where I go "GRRR! One more match, I'll get it now! Wait, why do I hear the alarm clock in the other room going of-oh..."

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Pokemon mystery dungeon definitely. Most the time its "Just one more shot" when I can't beat a mission though.

arrapippol

Jun 10, 2010
Little Big Planet (both 1 and 2) come to mind. but now that people mention it, Total War games are even more like that. I've been known to spend all day on that game. The first time I won a campaign (as the Greeks) I'd played for about a week all day every day :p fun times

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
Civilization: Revolution.
One more turn seems to always result with me finishing the match that I'm playing.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
CL4P-TP said:
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned Minecraft yet. Is it finally starting to lose it's grip on gamerkind?

"I'll just finish this lava moat... Oh wait, I need to add that part of the walls, too. Shit, and windows... I'll just go to the beach..."
I was going to say it, but it's not turn based, or even level based for that matter.

Actually I'll say Minecraft anyway cause I need to go finish off my xp grinder.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
Well, not really a game but the visual novel I'm currently going through right now is just like that.

"I'll stop playing after this conversation...no wait one more...ohhh, a choice, now where does it go...."

And it doesn't help that I've reached the part when things really start to pick up.
Out of interest, how do you play those? I've been unable to find any that don't have to be imported and such.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
for me it's a Disgaea series! The ultimate games that will never let me go if i need to sleep or eat.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Civilization 3. The awful part is how long each of those turns are since:
1) I turn off all victory modes, leaving the only victory to be wiping each civilization off the face of the Earth
2) Speaking of Earth, I play a Huge Earth map with 8 opponents (not a lot for that size, I know, I like to have some space)
3) I like to take my time and do a lot of conquering in the final, modern age
4) I make it a point never to destroy a city
5) I'm a perfectionist, micromanaging each of those billions of cities, workers (there's always loads of them, ready to clean up tons of waste and plant forests to combat global warming) and armies

So long story short, those turns at the end game can take some 10-20 minutes each and the "just one more turn" mentality still sticks.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
oh god...

Rome: Total War for one. BFME2 and it's expansion was another. "Ok, that was an epic siege guys, let's do another!" *2 hours later* "Oh, look at the time, schools gonna suck later today"

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
As half of the comments said before me, the Civilization series created the term, with the Total War series in a close second.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Fire Emblem 7. Near the end game the missions can take an hour long each, and that's when you haven't had to restart because some archer did a critical hit and one-shotted your favorite character.
But it's just so much fun to send your over-powered walking death machine against ludicrous odds!

Hazardlife

Jul 14, 2009
Playing Sword of the Stars against my housemates, games can often run past 3 in the morning, with us all saying "Just one more turn".

Fairly bad, since late-game turns can last in excess of half an hour due to all the combat and management going on. Has cost me failing to attend 9 o'clock lectures more than once.