The Ultimate Logical Puzzle

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
There needs to be something added if we want the true form of the riddle, since parts have been missed out.

Answer this question, who tells you that one's a liar the other's truthful? Is it a neutral third party (like, a sign or something), or the guards themselves?

Cpt. Red said:
Amethyst Wind said:
The first pirate gives the 4th and 5th pirates 50 gold each.

The way that the question is worded makes it nigh on impossible for the first pirate to get any gold, so his only goal is to escape with his life. The best way for him to do that is to get a majority agreement vote. Because the last two will both get half even if they disagree, their maximum possible gold is 50 coins apiece. Give them this at the beginning and 3 of the 5 are happy, and nobody dies.

You could give the 2nd and 3rd pirates 50 gold apiece, so there'd still be a 50/50 split (2 for, 2 against) but then you'd have to kill the first pirate.
Wrong. The fifth pirate can never expect to get more then one gold. Therefore your solution is not optimal for the the first pirate.

Also the second pirate will never accept unless he gets 99 or more.
I don't understand that part about the 5th pirate so I'll wait for the final answer, in my situation the 2nd pirate wouldn't need to accept because he'll be overruled. And the 2nd pirate was never going to get 99 gold, because there would always be enough people to overrule him and he'll be killed. He'll disagree on the first pirate's division, as will others, so the first pirate will be killed, then on his turn he'll try to give himself 99 gold and the other 3 will overrule and kill him. If the 2nd pirate won't agree except for 99 gold then he'll get bugger-all except a knife in the back.

TheGRRRRRRR

Jan 23, 2009
"Would the other guard say that you are lying" and whichever one says yes then he is the the one in front of heaven

supermaster1337

Apr 22, 2009
Jurassic Rob said:
See if you can get the answer! Not many people have got this right. Can you?

There are two identical doors, one leads to Heaven, one leads to Hell. In front of each door, there is an identical guard.

You can only ask one question, to figure out which door leads to Heaven.

Small bit of information:
The one guarding Heaven always tells the truth, and the one guarding Hell always lies.

The question you ask must involve the doors or the guards.
e.g. you could not hold up a cat and ask one if it is a dog!

If no-one gets the answer after 3 days i will post it!
you ask them
if you were the other one what door would you say goes to heaven?
the truth teller will say the other door because that is what the liar would say. The liar will say their door because they have to lie and not tell the truth.
What do i win?

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
I would ask them to divide 1 by 0. The one from heaven would implode because the one from hell would just lie. Therefore the guard who imploded, was the one guarding the door to heaven.

Victory.

Magnaflame

Nov 30, 2008
You club one over the head, put a knife to the other's throat and ask him. "Which door is the door to Heaven? And just in case you were thinking of any funny business, you're going first."

About To Crash

Apr 24, 2009
Ask the guard if he's guarding a door. Or ask him if it's a door he's in front of. Essentially, ask a question you know the answer to, and one will lie, revealing the answer.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Simple, you ask the guards "What would the other guard say?" Since one always tells the truth, he would say "Left" and since the other always lies he would also say "Left" therefore, the right door would go to Heaven.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
I would ask if the door the guard is guarding is identical to the door the other guard is guarding.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
The Correct answer is to ask "Which door will the other guard say is the door to heaven?"

The Lying guard will point to the Hell door.
The Truth guard will point to the Hell door.

It doesn't matter who you ask, they will both point to the hell door.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Amethyst Wind said:
Cpt. Red said:
Amethyst Wind said:
The first pirate gives the 4th and 5th pirates 50 gold each.

The way that the question is worded makes it nigh on impossible for the first pirate to get any gold, so his only goal is to escape with his life. The best way for him to do that is to get a majority agreement vote. Because the last two will both get half even if they disagree, their maximum possible gold is 50 coins apiece. Give them this at the beginning and 3 of the 5 are happy, and nobody dies.

You could give the 2nd and 3rd pirates 50 gold apiece, so there'd still be a 50/50 split (2 for, 2 against) but then you'd have to kill the first pirate.
Wrong. The fifth pirate can never expect to get more then one gold. Therefore your solution is not optimal for the the first pirate.

Also the second pirate will never accept unless he gets 99 or more.
I don't understand that part about the 5th pirate so I'll wait for the final answer, in my situation the 2nd pirate wouldn't need to accept because he'll be overruled. And the 2nd pirate was never going to get 99 gold, because there would always be enough people to overrule him and he'll be killed. He'll disagree on the first pirate's division, as will others, so the first pirate will be killed, then on his turn he'll try to give himself 99 gold and the other 3 will overrule and kill him. If the 2nd pirate won't agree except for 99 gold then he'll get bugger-all except a knife in the back.
Cpt. Red already posted the right answer in a spoiler. But I encourage you to keep at it till you figure it out. It's one of the most fun puzzles I have done. (A few years back, not when it was posted here.)

You don't need to post attempts or look under the spoiler. When you have the right answer, you'll be dead certain of it because the problem is all about *how* to find it.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
The REAL Ultimate Logic Puzzle:

There are 100 perfect logicians on an island. 50 of them have blue eyes and the other 50 have brown eyes, but each one is unaware of the colour of his own eyes and communication between the islanders is forbidden. At noon each day a ship calls at the port on the island, and anyone who has determined the colour of his own eyes will board the ship and return to the mainland. On day one, a disembodied voice which can only tell the truth announces that there is at least one person on the island with blue eyes. Who boards the ship, and on which day?

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
well either one of them will actually tell you an actual answer or they will both lie to you

their is an actuall chance that their both their to misguide you and that neither door is actually the one to heaven and they both go to hell

or they both want to misguide you and the are capable of fliping the doors around so that you pick the wrong door regardles of how confident you actually are

so my only choice is to pick neither door

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
SharPhoe said:
Walk up to a guard, punch him in the face, then ask him "Did I just punch you in the face?"
win, i know its not exactly the right answer (the answer is you ask one of them "what door would the other guard tell me?" and then go though the other.) but still, pretty fucking logical. unless you punch the hell spawn guard, he will probably punch you back.
No, "Did I just punch you in the face?" is a perfectly correct answer, as is "Are you Chuck Norris?" etc. Note that the situation OP poses is not the one you apparently have solved before, but a much easier one.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Smack one of them in the head with something hard, if he says WTF THAT HURTS he's the one telling the truth, it he's like Thx thats just what i needed he's the liar.
Then you can use your one question to ask whoever you want since you know who tells the truth and who doesn't

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
oktalist said:
The REAL Ultimate Logic Puzzle:

There are 100 perfect logicians on an island. 50 of them have blue eyes and the other 50 have brown eyes, but each one is unaware of the colour of his own eyes and communication between the islanders is forbidden. At noon each day a ship calls at the port on the island, and anyone who has determined the colour of his own eyes will board the ship and return to the mainland. On day one, a disembodied voice which can only tell the truth announces that there is at least one person on the island with blue eyes. Who boards the ship, and on which day?
Assuming the islanders do not know which other islanders are leaving until the ship has sailed, the 50 blue-eyed islanders leave on day 50, and the 50 brown-eyed islanders leave on day 51.