The Ultimate Warrior, Dead at 54

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Ultimate Warrior, Dead at 54

The famous (and famously troubled) professional wrestling star dies just days after Hall of Fame induction.

World Wrestling Entertainment has confirmed that retired Superstar James Brian Hellwig, who famously wrestled under the name "The Ultimate Warrior" in the 80s and 90s, had died at the age of 54.

An amateur bodybuilder before transitioning to wrestling, Hellwig gained early attention as part of the "Blade Runners" tag-team with Steve "Sting" Borden. But it wasn't until he debuted in the then-WWF as "The Ultimate Warrior" in 1987 that his career took off. Though popular with fans, his reputation for volatile and unpredictable behavior (he legally changed his name to "Warrior" in 1993) led to tension during his employment in the 90s and eventual retirement, though he made brief returns to the ring for the WCW and NWE outfits in 1998 and 2008, respectively. In recent years, he had gained new notoriety as a motivational speaker and political-blogger.

In a cruel twist of fate, Warrior's death came just days after having been inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame prior to WrestlemaniaXXX. Just over 24 hours prior, he had made a live appearance on Monday Night RAW [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR08M6EUd0g] wherein he told a cheering crowd that "The spirit of The Ultimate Warrior will run forever."

At this time, the circumstances of his passing have not immediately been made public.

Source: World Wrestling Entertainment [http://www.wwe.com/inside/ultimate-warrior-passes-away-26223975]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The Warrior was only JUST before my time. I know him from the memes, from Linkara's review of the comic starring him and, from various youtube videos. That being said though, it's too bad he's gone. He seemed really charismatic and just awesome. He's true though...The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I'm crying now, can't believe I just saw him on TV on Monday and that's the last I'll ever see of him.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I, of course, will remember him for being the craziest ************ in the WWE. And that's saying something.
<youtube=Oclf74WhkR8>

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
what the actual... I mean, he JUST cut an awesome/Mad promo on Raw... he JUST came back.. i mean... wow...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well that was sudden.
And so he returns to the Terrain of Testament, where Destructity will run wild forever.

Zyr

Jan 9, 2008
Danial said:
what the actual... I mean, he JUST cut an awesome/Mad promo on Raw... he JUST came back.. i mean... wow...
The craziness and the content (talking about his legacy, "...Every man's heart one day beats its final beat. His lungs breath their final breath..." etc) make me think, as morbid as it is, that he might have planned this.

EDIT: Apparently this is not the case. I wonder if he knew he was dying, though.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
He was from around here. Local Texas boy who made it.

I saw him wrestle before the WWF, before the Blade Runners. He was The Dingo Warrior and did cheesy adverts for a local car dealership when I was a pre-teen. In the 80s, he was my absolute favorite. I chose him in every video game he was featured in.

I wish his family the best and hope the Warrior's spirit finds rest. Farewell Warrior. We will miss you.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Man, that's really shocking and said. Especially after just seeing him on Raw.

RIP, good sir.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm going to fess up and say I only really know him from Spoony's impersonations. "Rar, Hook Hoogan" etc.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
this...absolutely sucks...butI guess if you use steroids as I think a lot of them did back then, this can happen, I mean 54 is still pretty young to go, I loved the Warrior, even though he was before my time I watched a lot of his matches, and his promos were just awesome, I can't imagine the grief his family must be going through, he will be missed.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
I don't watch all that much wrestling, and I saw very few fights with Warrior, but for some reason this makes me very very sad. Rest in peace.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I saw him wrestle before the WWF, before the Blade Runners. He was The Dingo Warrior and did cheesy adverts for a local car dealership when I was a pre-teen. In the 80s, he was my absolute favorite. I chose him in every video game he was featured in.
Nitpicking perhaps but he was a Blade Runner before he was the Dingo Warrior.

OT: Rest in peace Warrior. Your craziness will be missed.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Warrior's eulogy better be a 15 minute rambling shoot promo that uses the word warrior no less than 23 times. Also it should be shouted.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
bdcjacko said:
Warrior's eulogy better be a 15 minute rambling shoot promo that uses the word warrior no less than 23 times. Also it should be shouted.
And need to have at least one mention of Madison Square Garden...

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Micah Weil said:
bdcjacko said:
No, that is more of a Hogan thing. Though snarling and whispered Hulk Hogan should be involved.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
bdcjacko said:
Micah Weil said:
bdcjacko said:
No, that is more of a Hogan thing. Though snarling and whispered Hulk Hogan should be involved.
Huh...could have sworn UW's promos mentioned MSG more often than Hulk's...
But, yes, the snarling and the Hulk Hogan...ing...