The Underappreciated Gems of Gaming

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Jeanne D'arc, was a really really good and not to mention fun SRPG. Was nothing really innovative but that didn't stop it from being awesome. And while I'm at it, Bahamut Lagoon, an awesome SRPG that unfortunately never made it over to NA, was so kick ass.

Raurik

Jun 12, 2008
Thief
Shogo: M.A.D.
Waku Waku 7
Grim Fandango
Megaman Zero Series

All these games are a good time if you've got the time.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
The_Oracle said:
I swear, it's like only a few people properly appreciate Baten Kaitos/Baten Kaitos Origins. Look, I'm not saying they're sacrosanct like the Zelda and Mario games, and they're not game-of-the-year titles, but what they are are deep, creative RPGs with a pretty original story with some twists you will not see coming, in addition to solid gameplay and fantastic music pieces written by Motoi Sakuraba himself.

More info on Baten Kaitos [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baten_Kaitos] for the Gamecube and Baten Kaitos Origins [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baten_Kaitos_Origins], the prequel, also for the Gamecube, can be found on the links I've attached. If I may be so bold, you owe it to yourself as a Gamecube owner, if you are one, to give Baten Kaitos the consideration it deserves. Peace out.
I'm NeutralDrow, and I approve this message.

the ecrapist

May 11, 2009
Shadow of the Beast 2 on the Amiga. The intro made you shit your pants and the game-play was so addictive it was like the future echo of your adult life's crack dependency brought on by early childhood trauma that was caused by playing an awesome game with a shit scary opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnZ7l6jvXjU

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Inconnu24 said:
Freespace 2
Oh yeah. Freespace 2 was a fantastic game but it didn't sell nearly as well as the 1st one did. It's a damn shame too because the entire genre sort of fizzled away after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0xL1fA09nA&fmt=18

FranzTyphid

Apr 10, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Amarok said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Amarok said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Anyone want to bet on how long it takes Psychonauts to be mentioned?
You sly dog, you just mentioned it! Any bets we placed would be moot!
In the capacity of noting hopw everyone else seems to keep dragging it up, not in it actually being an Underappreciated Gem. So bets are still on, until someone says they feel it is the latter.
In that case, I'm betting bottom of the first page
I say between posts 42 and 68.
psychonauts!

KhaosElement

May 14, 2009
I can't even read through the whole thing to see if anybody has posted this game yet.

Azure Dreams on the PS1. It's hard as sin to get into at first, but once you do it's an amazing RPG, the only one to ever do Monster Raising correctly in my mind. Also, don't knock it off as a bad game just because you raise monsters, you gotta give it a chance first, the mechanics they use for it are vastly different from Pokemon and Monster Rancher.

xenxander

Nov 14, 2007
Perimeter!!!

This is a hidden GEM of a game, for the RTS genera, that honestly deserves a lot more media than it ever received. Is it perfect? No. but it uses a system that is different than most conventional RTS look-a-likes and has a great single player (LENGTHY) campaign.

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
Don't know if these have been said but

Earth Defence force 2017 (not sure about the date)
It is the best worst game I have ever played. It's just so damn playable

Chu Chu Rocket. That game was so much fun multiplayer. One of the best multiplayers ever. End of.

Elionmars

May 13, 2009
Okami, definately, Xenosaga (even though episode 2 was just...*shivers*), and I'd say LoZ Majora's Mask. Honestly, I liked that game almost a little better than Ocarina. Sin and Punishment, Rise of Legends, Psychonauts (DUH!) and the Persona series.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
The Flatout games are a sod of a lot of fun. Particularly Flatout2.
All the fun of a Burnout but just a touch more of a challenge.
I'd definitely get a copy if you see it.

The Hitman

May 7, 2009
The Thief series, may be more well known than most of these games listed but it is hideously underrated, in my opinion the best stealth game ever.