The value of a life - a social experiment.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
None. I've got a life that's worth far more to me that needs saving. If I had the money, I'd be putting every cent of it toward saving her.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Anything from 30% to 60%. depending on how I feel and whether I'm sitting there, watching TV on a set my dad's dad left him in his will.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...you don't see me spending my time going on mission trips and such to central Africa and saving the lives of children I don't know there, so I certainly wouldn't pay a million for a medical procedure to save one adult I don't know.

Basically, if I were going to spend the money to save lives, it wouldn't be in a first-world nation. We get plenty of help.
Not that I'd do that either. I'd spend the money on myself and people I care about.

c_westerman13

Mar 29, 2011
nothing. absolutely nothing. not. a. single. penny.

yes, i'm a cold-hearted git. no, i don't care. there is absolutely no chance i'm donating money to some guy i have no interest in whatsoever.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'd be willing to give up to $10,000 if I was in a good mood. I feel like that's enough to make a difference, but also just enough that I won't terribly feel like I'm losing a ton of my money when I just got $1,000,000. This amount would probably decrease the more money I spent, so if he got to me while I still had the full amount he'd get more than if I was to already have spent some of it, but if he got to me while I had the full amount I'd probably be willing to give $10,000. Then again, I might not give him anything if I don't like his face.

gazumped

Dec 1, 2010
I was vaguely considering the straightforward answer to the questions but after reading a handful of posts I had to agree with most posters that one life isn't worth a truckload of money and it'd be better at least going to a wider reaching charity.

By paying lots of money on one life rather than thinking about better ways you could make a difference to the world actually shows that you DON'T care much about others, you're just lazily taking the first opportunity to rid yourself of the guilt of being rich.

Gemore

Sep 15, 2010
BiscuitTrouser said:
Gemore said:
Will more come up asking if i give it to them? Will he learn to fend for him/herself if i give it to them or will they realies they can get away by asking rich people for money?
No and No. Guys legit, he ONLY needs it to save his life and nothing else. This will not impact you in any way and he will never ask for your help ever again.
If i had that money RIGHT NOW, then I would give him 20,000. However, that answer would change based on my personal circumstances. If i were say, better off in general, I would give him as much as 100,000.

Grigori361

Apr 6, 2009
BiscuitTrouser said:
Grigori361 said:
Your question fails to satisfy my standards for decision making, you get a hello kitty mug for effort though.

PS I do know some people who absolutely Would give it all away without a second thought if they thought someone else needed it more. Don't discredit a point of view just because you wouldn't see it as reasonable, that is unscientific.
Thanks for such a wonderfull contribution. Next time ill try harder to appease your question standards. So then my thread will finally be good enough to get a real answer.

Look you know if you give SOME amount of money, the person will recieve treatment. The question is if in 1'000'000 different parallell universes one person came to your door and asked for different amounts of money from 1 to 1000000 for the exact same situation, past what point would you start saying no.
Ah now that's so more more inclusive to all the visible minorities. :p

But you've given me such a lot of fun, I'll indulge you. Depending on how much I believed or thought this individual needed I'd be capable of anything up to half, provided I had an emotional connection with them (which I obviously don't as they're a random faceless voiceless shadow in your bedroom window.. watching you change your clothes, and sulk.), or 0 if I didn't. My mind sees no reason to either way provided there are negative consequences to myself or anyone I DO care about, so if I have no emotional connection that leaves No reason at all to intervene.

That said if it was someone I loved and they needed the whole thing to live, and they were okay with it then I'd give the whole thing.

That is as in depth an explanation as I care to give. So next time be sure to meet my needs the first time and I won't have to remind your Girlfriend who wears the daddy pants around here.

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
I'd rather give the money to research in hopes that they could work even faster towards finding a cure for this life-threatening illness. One that doesn't cost x-amount of money, and had a higher rate of survival since this guy doesn't sound like he's going to make it regardless of how much I give.

That way, maybe more people down the road can be saved.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
My job pays all my bills already, I'm saving this guys life.

I'm not even being high and mighty either, I just don't care about money. I live in relative comfort as it is.

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
If we're being completely honest?

None.

Not because I'm an entirely heartless bastard, though I'm sure I could convince myself of how the truth of things is that life ends, for some it's tragic, and how this isn't my problem, etc. But instead because frankly in the scenario as presented I am poor. I would instead use the money to improve the lives of myself and those whom I know and care for on a personal level. Friends, family, etc. Blind philanthropy is the domain of the beatifically selfless or the unflaggingly rich, and I admit that I am neither of those things.

Sorry, faceless stranger. I wish you the best.