The verdict: Who is your favourite reviewer?

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
yuval152 said:

He's doing Honest reviews not like those dumbasses from IGN
I am with you.

Sometime I really if IGN know what gaming is. Most of their reviews are a dragto read, empty of useful info or both.

yahtzee may more often than not do his biting just for the sake of, which
becomes somehow pointless at some ... point... like with e.g. comedian Lenny Bruce,
but he surely caters to nobody.

Bajinga

Jun 11, 2011
My favorite (actuall) reviewer is Yahtzee. No question.

Although, I like to review games myself. Not publicly, but I'll have my own opinions.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
cormacdffy said:
It's a two way tie between the Spoony One and the Nostalgia Critic
I'll second Noah.
OP: Noah Antwiler is my favorite, but he is more comedic in his approach. Micah C. for a non-comedic, serious reviewer.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Are we just talking about game reviews, cuz Moviebob is the only film critic I like. It may be because it's the only one I watch/read, but I still like him.
As for games, I go to a variety of sources, but I always feel that Gametrailers is the best. I like the attention to detail, the breakdown of every element, relevant video and the sheer amount of stuff they review on time.
For the Escapist I like Susan the best, she's off beat and fun.
I also think my own reviews are the best, but that damn asshole plays so few games, they're so rare it's not even worth bothering.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
lol I don't have a favourite reviewer because I don't really trust any of them. Every single one of them I have a lot of disagreements with. But then I'm just a really weird person who is really, really picky with his games.

I guess if I did have to play favourites though, it would be Angry Joe from Blistered Thumbs. I like him because he's about the only reviewer in the entire world who uses a scale from 1-10 instead of from 6-9. On top of that he also spends a lot of time talking about who might like or dislike a specific game, understanding that everyone has different tastes.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
The only reviewer I "Trust" in any real sense is Moviebob, but he doesn't review games, so I just go by intuition. I'm usually right.

That's not to say I don't respect other reviewers, I'm just aware that, say, Yahtzee, has a very different taste in games then I do

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
I suppose it depends on your criteria. Who do I think is the best reviewer/critic? Yahtzee, easily. Who's opinion of like and dislike most closely matches mine? I haven't actually found one yet. My taste in games is strange and I haven't found a trustworthy reviewer yet who shares my opinion of fun.

"Co-op asymmetrical strategy" games barely exist at all, much less have reviewers who think they're awesome.

Edit: Also, rock on, moviebob. I even like his political commentary. His big picture show has taught me more than I ever thought I wanted to know about comic books. Of course, I still hate superheroes, but that's no excuse not to know more about them and the history is interesting all on its own.

elbrandino

Dec 8, 2010
Probably Moviebob. Smart guy. Admittedly, Yahtzee came to mind first, but he's less a reviewer and more a professional troll. If I considered him a full on reviewer, then he would probably be my favorite.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Togs said:
My most favourite? Adam Sessler, his reviews are for the most aprt intelligent, in depth and predominantly free of hyperbole.
Least favourite, the people who review for IGN and Gamespot- always just so much blathering with no real detail and they gloss over big flaws in the game.
Same, excpet wen he reviews a Dynasty Warrior game. I dont see why he even bothers. He does not love that type of game. He lets Morgan review the MMOs since he is not an MMO guy. So he should let someone who can give a fair review to DW and similar games. (Basically, his review of DW is from the perspective of someone who hates the game but has played them. He doesnt take into account fans of the series and people unfamilliar, since "Its the same as DW5" has no meaning to someone who never played DW before)

Galaxy Roll

Jul 28, 2011
I'm going with Yahtzee, because he's one of the only reviewers whose reviews I WANT to finish reading listening to. I said "one of the only," but I don't remember the names of any of the others.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Oh, Susan Arendt of course! And shame on all who say otherwise!

I'm kidding. About the second part. And other than that, because we all know nobody can ever come near that level, most of the guys from Game Informer. The reviews are fair and the employees are hilarious people if you watch their videos. Especially their record-breaking SSBB marathon.

Ben Jackson said:
Am I one the only one that really likes Susan Arendt. She is quite funny at times, and her reviews are honest but focus on fun (not just graphics.) I wish she reviewed Alice:madness returns, it seems like she'd love it.
This user deserves a raise. Er... a paycheck, then a raise.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
For pure entertainment, Yahtzee or Spoony.

For in-depth analysis, Redlettermedia.

For an opinion that typically matches mine, Angry Joe.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
I watch IGN reviews for advice on purchases, but I'm becoming less trustworthy of them. They seem to be obvious CoD fanboys, and every shooter that isn't CoD isn't good.

For comedy, how could I say anything but Yahtzee?

dcrane

Sep 8, 2010
Tom Chick on QuarterToThree.com - provides context and explains why he likes/doesn't like the game.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I like to get an idea of what a game is like from a few reviews. You can usually tell if a game is terrible by keeping an eye on the online community. I like to get an overall picture rather than just 1 reviewer.

Yahtzee is good at picking out flaws in games so I tend to listen to him if a game has something that would really bother me. Susan Arendt is a great reviewer and she's also female which I think makes her reviews even more relevant to me. Jim is a little excitable but he makes some good points and he went up in my estimation after his DNF review.

I love the coverage on Game Informer but I'm not sure if they are paid to push certain games.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Probably Moviebob.

He has at least four different shows on at the moment and all of them are personal internet favourite shows of mine.

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
Adam Sessler, Morgan Webb, Yahtzee. In that order. I may check other sites but I don't pay much attention to their reviews.